Loss

Loss

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A 29k word (or about 110 printed pages) novella of psychological horror

After Angie Chandler's husband dies in a car crash in which she was driving, her life comes undone. Though her soul mate is gone, her memories of Paul linger as she tries to recover at their secluded wooded estate. Ostracized from Paul's family--the only family she has really known--Angie's life spirals...more
Published January 4th 2012 by Stray King Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loss

Smile by Matt ShawButterfly Potion by Trent ZelaznyShifters by Jaime JohneseeThe Darkest Shade of Grey by Alan BaxterPRISON PLANET by Billie Sue Mosiman
Best Horror Novellas of 2012
37th out of 83 books — 180 voters
Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertComing Home by Sarah R. YoffaRemembrance by Michelle Madow
Must Buy Smashwords Books
354th out of 455 books — 420 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
Dec 14, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of horror
Recommended to Katy by: Glen Krisch
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read this January 2012; just updating the formatting, etc.

Disclosure: I picked this book up free on Amazon after having read a few other books by this author and enjoying them. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: On the night that everything changed for Angie, she and her husband had been at his brother's place and got into an argument. They had been discussing adoption, but while Paul was all for it, Angie didn't feel comfortable about it, thinking she would never be able to lov...more
Martin Belcher
Glen Krisch has done it again! Another amazing page turning novella. Loss starts off with the story of Angie and Paul Chandler, a couple very happy with their lives and the life they share with the wealthy Chandler family until one fateful night on the road on the return journey from a family party filled with revelations, Angie and Paul encounter a strange black mass on the road, is it a deer or a man? The panic caused by trying to avoid crashing into this mass causes them to run off the road i...more
Chris
Wow. This one packs a punch. I was reminded of Greg Gifune's "A View from the Lake." I am not saying that it was derivative. Not in the least. I say that because it explored the same dark paths that people take through grief's landscape. Less internal than Gifune's "Lake", Krisch's novel and its main character, Angie Chandler is more grounded in the real world and its demons more tangible. I found myself cringing at her very realistic downward spiral, sort of like watching a horrible event that...more
Bethica
Wow! And that doesn't even begin to cover it. This book rendered me utterly speechless as I read through the final pages. The emotions embedded within leave you feeling like you're the one with the loss. Angie's deep turmoil and anguish are almost too much to bear. Krish once again surprises me with the depth of his writing abilities and leaves me craving more. I'll be anxiously awaiting his next release!
Charlene
This was a relatively quick read and I absolutely LOVED it.
Rarely do I say that I could not put a book/novella down, but in this case it is true. This story was fast paced, the characters were very likeable and I could feel the ache of the main character as if it were my own. Spend a couple of hours and see for yourself.
Jon Recluse
This story is one Hell of a dark, scary ride through an emotional minefield that you won't soon forget! The pain contained here is heartwrenchingly real, powerful and will linger in your soul. An incredible piece of dark fiction!
William
I really liked this story,very creepy and dark.It also had me guessing right up to the end.This one was a freebie,but I'll definitely be checking out the authors other work.
Caleb Blake
Angie has suffered a devastating loss. Her husband has been killed in a car accident in the snow and she was the driver. This is basically where we start with Loss.

Glen Krisch wants to tell a story with this novella, but I think he also wants to explore loss - in this case Angie's loss - in detail. I'm no stranger to Krisch's writing and one thing that I've admired is his writing of characters. There is an honesty about the Angie's portrayal in her time of suffering. Instead of the romantic, swo...more
Amanda
It's not very often that you read a book and it physically hurts you. That's what this novella did to me. It hurt my heart. This was so astoundingly well written that the emotional pain just flowed off the page, you felt all of the emotions that the main character, Angie, felt. And she felt so much pain. I really cannot rate this story highly enough, everyone should read this. I am certainly going to pick up more of this authors work.

Ps, I purchased this myself.
Donald
May 30, 2012 Donald rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I liked most of this. I liked the style. The words flowed nicely. But then I got to the end and just sat there thinking about it. There was something missing. It was like I had just read a story written by one guy who put it down—just stopped writing it, and it was picked up by someone else who finished it without really reading it through first.

Then it occurred to me what the problem really was. Darrel was dragged away by his brother. Why would we care about that? We don't even know Darrel. The...more
Kat
Feb 14, 2012 Kat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kat by: the author
I'm conflicted on what to rate this one. I was asked by the author to review it for my site, and I was under the impression that it was a ghost/paranormal/thriller sort of book. Only it wasn't really, at least it didn't come across that way at all.

On the other hand, the writing (in the begnning) was pretty spot on for how someone would feel after such a tragic event. In fact, it hit a little close to home after the death of a family member in a brutal car accident last month...

But once the last...more
Trisha W.
I really enjoyed this book.. The beginning goes back and fourth between them at Paul's mom's house and them in the car before the accident. The story just keeps better as it goes on. It tells how Paul and Angie got together, how much in love they were and some family problems they had been having. As the story goes on a new character is brought into the book and I have to say that I was not expecting it. Lost of twists and turns and even more family drama.. For sure a great read!
Francene Carroll
I picked up this book to read for a few minutes and then found I couldn't put it down. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it a lot. The portrayal of Angie's grief is very realistic and the tension builds nicely. The ending is a little abrupt, but it wasn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment. I recommend this book for a cosy afternoon of reading by the fireside.
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
a good story, and a good length for it. Deals with the real-life trauma of the death of a close one, with some very interesting unnatural twists at the end that the horror genre can bring
Michele
This was a great novella! I read it every spare moment I had. Glenn Krisch really knows how to grab the readers attention & keep it! Loved this!
Sally
I will start this review with the positives. It is a novella and the story is very quick and flows nicely. Over all the writing was better than I was expecting. Unfortunately that is where the positives end. The book itself should not at all be listed as a horror story as it is heavily a story of drug dependency in dealing with the loss of a partner and the only paranormal aspect comes into play very late in the story and is underwhelming at best.

All of the supporting characters are very one di...more
Cheryl
Short and intriguing

This was a great little suspense novella. I am not sure I would call it a horror story but definitely mysterious and interesting. Despite the short length every page contained suspense that forced me to keep reading just so I could find out what was so mysterious. A little tragic in the beginning but that event is what started the mystery. Don't miss out on this quick read.
Jessica Bronder
Angie Chandler is married to Paul, one of a family of rich people. At a Christmas party with the family, Paul announces that they are going to adopt a child since they couldn’t have one. Embarrassed and put out, Angie leave the party early with Paul, but on the way home they are involved in a car accident in which Paul dies.

Angie has a hard time coping with the death. It’s worse when she starts seeing Paul. Because of the alcohol and pain pills, she has a hard time getting through the visions. T...more
Esme
Loss ist eine Horror Novella mit wenig Horror. Angie und Paul sind ein glückliches Ehepaar, nur ihr Kinderwunsch erfüllt sich nicht. In einer Winternacht kommt ihr Auto auf der Heimfahrt von der Straße ab und Paul stirbt. Die überwiegende Zeit geht geht es um den Verlust, den Angie verarbeiten muß und es nicht kann. Daran ist überhaupt nichts Gruseliges. Im letzten Viertel nimmt das Buch eine Wendung, die wie drangepappt wirkt, um die Sache irgendwie zu Ende zu bringen. Und selbst das paßt eher...more
Stacy
This was a really good book. I wish it was longer. It seemed like at the end of the book the author just magically decided to end the book. It built up so well and then ended in one chapter, I wanted more!
Konstantinos
I recently read Loss during a long flight. The story starts strong and with each subsequent chapter the mystery grows and the "emotional atmosphere" builds up. Unfortunately the story ends rather abruptly and a bit unsatisfactorily. I don't want to give too much away so I will just say that the antagonist's behavior as well as the final resolution are a bit at odds with the rest of the story. Although an entertaining read, I would recommend the Nightmare Within or Where Darkness Dwells by the sa...more
Shannon Gambino
More of a paranormal thriller with a psychological twist, LOSS takes the reader through Angie's grief-stricken, Xanax-induced, drunken thoughts of both past and present. As she deals miserably with the loss of her husband, Glen Krisch adds the perfect amount of plot twists and character details to keep the reader sucked into Angie's hazy abyss while pondering what might happen next.

This is the first time I can actually say I really liked a book cover, too.
Naomi
Very cool novella. Novellas written in this quality actually renew my faith in the short story. This author was able to do some really nice twists and turns in a "short story" format. If it was the 110 pages as listed in the description, it flew by. It was fast paced and gave some really shocker moments. I love it when I get free stuff like this for my kindle. I consider it a *BONUS*!! I would pay for this quality though.
Shelly
I gave this 4 stars because the writing was wonderful, especially the first 3/4 of the book. The descriptions of a person grieving the sudden loss of a loved one were haunting and eloquent. I personally didn't care for the twist of the end - which I won't spoil here but I will say I was hoping for something a little more original. Nevertheless the writing itself made reading this book worthwhile.
Bandit
The more I read of this author the more I like him, although so far my first read by him, The Nightmare Within, remains my favorite. This novella is paranormal lite with elements of suspense and not really horror (which would have been my preference), but it's got a great twist toward the end and really strong believable humane characters. Very talented author. Recommended.
Lori Henrich
I was alittle worried about where this one was going to go because of another story I read by this same author.

Angie has an accident after spending the evening with Paul's parents. After the loss of her husband Paul in the accident Angie struggles to cope with his loss and whether she is losing her mind.

It was well written and kept you waiting for something to happen.
Aurora
Glen Krisch writes characters very well, but not quite as good at writing ghosts. Also, the love story was a bit too idyllic to be believable but overall it was an enjoyable read.
I have no idea how this got so many positive reviews. The beginning was painfully slow, and all of the suspense was introduced and wrapped up in the last 5-10% of the book. I suppose the idea behind the story was intriguing, but there was no reason to delay the story that much.
Ginger
I wish I could give this one 1.5 stars. I decided on 2 stars because I really liked 3/4 of the story. It was totally believable up until that point. For me, it took a nose dive after that. I don't think I'm interested in reading any more of this author's books. I'm glad this one was free.
Kim Dallmeier
I really enjoyed the writing style and the ambiance of the story (hence the 4 Stars). That being said, I was tempted to give it 3 stars as the ending terribly disappointed me. Still - 4 stars anyway, because the author is Indie and I enjoyed reading the first 3/4 of it.
  • Mindbenders
  • Asylum Lake
  • Anon (Anon Duology, #1)
  • Dead Spell
  • The Haunted
  • Gated
  • Wrecker
  • Dark Corners
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Perfect Little Town
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
I have written three novels: The Nightmare Within, available at

Where Darkness Dwells

As well as a coming-of-age horror novel titled Nothing Lasting. My short fiction has appeared in publications across three continents for the last decade. Dog Horn Publishing (U.K.) will publish my story collection debut in 2012.

As a f...more
More about Glen R. Krisch...
Where Darkness Dwells The Nightmare Within Brother's Keeper Twice as Dark Commitment and Other Tales of Madness