The Inner Courtyard: Stories By Indian Women

The Inner Courtyard: Stories By Indian Women

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From the mass of Indian short fiction by women writing in India,Britain and America,here is a constellation of some of the most dazzling stories.A Spectrum of voices and an abundance of forms - from the ghost story to the animal fable - are all anchored in experiences of a multicultural and multilingual sub-continent.The overlapping worlds of tradition and skepticism,of co...more
Published June 1st 1998 by South Asia Books (first published 1994)

Chris
Well written but frankly left me wandering lost far outside my cultural milieu without even a signpost to guide me. Which made me think that the Indian writers I've loved (like Rushdie, Roy and Indian-Canadian Anita Rau Badami) are maybe writing with a more western audience in mind, or are masters of bridging cultural gaps. Or, I might just not be smart enough for this book.
Chika
Jan 02, 2008 Chika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
A fantastic collection of stories written in many different styles. It helps to have a brief knowledge/understanding on Indian history and culture to truly understand some of the stories, but it can also serve as an introduction to help you focus on a particular time/aspect of history and culture.
Naveen Sunag
Some Really outstanding contribution by women writers of the indian sub continent. Worth reading.
Anuradha Miraji
Very good writing. 'The Library Girl' one of the short stories here is very good.
Amalia
Oct 25, 2013 Amalia added it
Short stories by some great Indian women...worth a read.
Dipali
Dipali marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Molly Mehta
Molly Mehta marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Arial Nigrel
Arial Nigrel marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Rajalakshmi
Rajalakshmi marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Patricia Black
Patricia Black marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Sohini Chatterjee
Sohini Chatterjee marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Nilam Sawant
Nilam Sawant marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Mamta Kumari
Mamta Kumari marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Bhadra Sasankan
Bhadra Sasankan marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Abhishek Agarwal
Abhishek Agarwal marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ginesh
Ginesh marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sangati = Events The Rapids of a Great River: The Penguin Book of Tamil Poetry Silappadikaram; Manimekalai My Father's Friend In a Time of Burning