Start by marking “A Gentle Hell” as Want to Read:
A Gentle Hell

A Gentle Hell

A Gentle Hell is comprised of four dark speculative stories of quiet tension and uncomfortable nostalgia, written for deformed children and girls that dream of demons.

In “They Promised Dreamless Death” a salesmen sells sleep with the promise of a better life, but what dreams lurk beneath the substrate of consciousness for those who take it are stranger than they ever imag
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 61 pages
Published January 2nd 2012 by Dark Continents Publishing (first published January 2012)

Kirk
Jan 04, 2014 Kirk rated it it was amazing
It has been said that if you want to write, you must read. If you want to learn how to generate atmosphere, an atmosphere that is striking in its literary efficacy, then this book is a great place to start. These four stories are infused with abstract and thought-provoking similes. The descriptions go beyond transporting the reader in a visual capacity. You're going to feel this shit while you're reading.

You'll get deep insights about the world while reading as well. While some authors tend to
S.R.
I won't say much about this except that it reminded me of who I was a writer and as a person. I think I've kinda lost track of it somewhere between high school graduation, the Army life and getting back to writing professionally. Because those are the only obstacles that partitioned me off from the darkly things that Autumn Christian, with "A Gentle Hell," has restored my belief in. I am not a commonplace author, and I am not a typical writer. Thanks, Christian, for that.

These are my favorite po
Daniel Russell
Jan 27, 2012 Daniel Russell rated it it was amazing
Once again, the TALES OF DARKNESS AND DISMAY line up blows me away once again. Autumn Christian has the voice of one intelligent and colourful author. Some may argue that this isn’t horror, as you’ll be hard pushed to find splattered guts, cold blooded killers and monsters under the bed in this collection.

This is thought provoking stuff. Stories about relationships and the inner workings of character’s heads make up these tales. The first story is particularly engaging mentally and nicely poigna
Carrie Clevenger
Mar 09, 2012 Carrie Clevenger rated it it was amazing
Autumn writes of darker things that made me think. With her almost poetic prose and silken flow, it's easy to fall in love with her words. Brilliantly written stories, not a dud in the bunch as with some collections. I will be reading more of her works in the future, and so should you.
James Everington
Sep 23, 2012 James Everington rated it really liked it
If you're the kind of person who likes nicely delineated genres, then Autumn Christian is probably your worst nightmare - a writer of dark, vaguely philosophical, sometimes lyrical sometimes gruesome short stories. I guess, if you have a bookseller's mentality, you'd have to call this 'horror', but really Christian is one of those writers classified as 'horror' simply because they don't fit anywhere else...

A Gentle Hell is a collection of four stories, the first I've read by this author. Two of
Nerine Dorman
Mar 12, 2012 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing
Lovers of dark, hypnotic and thoroughly surreal fiction need to sit up and take note of author Autumn Christian. A Gentle Hell is a superb collection of short fiction that she has brought out under Dark Continents Publishing’s Tales of Darkness and Dismay banner and she does not disappoint.

They Promised a Dreamless Death investigates our need to deaden our emotions and partake of a mainstream culture that results in the living dead. Or at least that’s how I saw it.

In Your Demiurge is Dead Chri
Jeremy Maddux
Apr 10, 2014 Jeremy Maddux rated it it was amazing
Autumn Christian is my favorite female author currently working in fiction. She seamlessly fuses visceral vignettes and probing character studies with sharp dialogue full of grandiose statements and conviction. Autumn doesn't go anywhere in a story without her accessories: Style AND Substance! Here, we see her getting her feet wet with short stories just before she takes the plunge into full length novels a bit later with Crooked God Machine and We Are Wormwood (my favorite read from 2013). Fami ...more
Sylvia Shults
Jan 29, 2012 Sylvia Shults rated it it was amazing
A Gentle Hell by Autumn Christian is another in the Darkness and Dismay series put out by Dark Continents Publishing. It is yet another fine, fine piece of work. Christian's writing is enigmatic, yet crystal-clear. I suppose the best way to describe it would be "poetic". Her images are unusually constructed, but they are never nebulous. Her horror is definitely unsettling, but not necessarily gory. The horror in these stories comes from within the characters; a quiet desperation at the numb bare ...more
SR
Jan 07, 2013 SR rated it really liked it
Deeply weird in a way that reminds me of the darkest bits of Neil Gaiman, especially Your Demiurge Is Dead. Shifts from cyberpunk-horror to fairyland-horror without a blink, with a background of Americana in decay. The third story is just plain beautiful.

I think probably reading this before bed was a bad idea.
Adam Nicolai
Jan 17, 2013 Adam Nicolai rated it it was amazing
Autumn Christian's writing is like a dream, one of those dreams that makes perfect sense while you're in it but melts away fast in the sunlight. It is of crucial importance, yet indescribable; deep as an ocean, but opaque from the outside.

Take her hand, and let her pull you under.
Brandon Shire
Apr 30, 2012 Brandon Shire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A lyrical prose that offers more than the typical horror novel. Very well done.
Tamara Romero
Sep 22, 2014 Tamara Romero rated it really liked it
Second and third story, 'Your Demiurge is Dead' and 'The Dog that Bit Her', were absolutely stunning.
Ayden
Jan 26, 2013 Ayden rated it it was amazing
Perfect. I was thinking I liked the last two stories the most and I looked back and realized I loved it all. Watching Autumn grow has been a privilege and a joy.
Max Juarez
Max Juarez rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
maraluce addams
maraluce addams rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Lux Lubrano
Lux Lubrano rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
ethan johnson
ethan johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2017
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2013
Thade Hallend
Thade Hallend rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Benjamin Knox
Benjamin Knox rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Saniya Benain
Saniya Benain rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Akira
Akira rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Nelum
Nelum rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Grant Wamack
Grant Wamack rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Rodney
Rodney rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Erica
Mar 20, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
First story was fantastic. The rest were all right.
Kevin Clayton
Kevin Clayton rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Free Books, .99 &...: A Gentle Hell free on Amazon 1 4 Feb 27, 2012 08:26AM
  • Dead Girls
  • The Demon Bride (The Witching Pen series, #3)
  • Cemetery Tours (Cemetery Tours, #1)
  • 1/27: An ICoS Anthology
  • The Demon's Apprentice (The Demon's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • The Evil Within
  • Othella (Arcadian Heights, #1)
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • The Grass Monkey and Other Dark Tales
  • Women and Other Monsters
  • 13 Drops of Blood
  • One Buck Horror: Volume One
Autumn Christian is a horror writer who lives in the dark woods of the southern United States with poisonous blue flowers in her backyard and a set of polished cow skulls on her mantel.

She's been a freelance writer, an iPhone game designer, a cheese producer, a haunted house actor, and a video game tester. She considers Philip K. Dick, Ray Bradbury, Katie Jane Garside, the southern gothic, and dub
More about Autumn Christian...