Start by marking “Ember (Darkest London, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Ember (Darkest London, #0.5)

Ember (Darkest London 0.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  692 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Prequel to Firelight.

After a fire consumes the Ellis family fortune, the beautiful and resourceful Miranda finds herself faced with an impossible dilemma: enter a life of petty crime or watch her family succumb to poverty. But once her fiancé learns of her descent into danger—and of the strange, new powers she's discovered—saving her family may come at the high price of he
Published January 31st 2012 by Forever Yours (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ember, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ember

Mine Till Midnight by Lisa KleypasA Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa KleypasUndone by Lila DiPasquaIn Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks
Best Historical Romance Covers
155th out of 450 books — 178 voters
Bound by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanA Mackenzie Family Christmas by Jennifer AshleyThe Duke's Match Girl - A Fiery Tale Novella by Lila DiPasquaThe Governess Affair by Courtney Milan
Historical Romance Novellas
22nd out of 169 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
This short story made me want to read Firelight over again! I read Firelight last month and it stayed fresh in my memory, but reading Ember has brought that book back to life for me. It was so good.

Ember's time line take place between the prologue and chapter 1 of Firelight. While not necessary to read prior to Firelight, it will give readers a better understanding of how Miranda ended up in the situation she did, and explain how Archer has struggled with his curse and ailment.

Ember also gives
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

Ember is labeled as the prequel to Firelight, the first book in the Darkest London series, but as many others have said, it doesn’t read like a prequel. For me it’s more of a companion to Firelight, because most of this novella takes place after Archer and Miranda have already met. What Ember does is fill in the gaps, answers questions about what both were doing before the events that brought them together again in Firelight.

This is one of the better novellas I’ve read, and had me wanting to go
Melindeeloo
If you are at all interested in reading Firelight I wouldn't suggest reading Embers first. Even though it is touted as a prequel, Ember reads for the most part like deleted scenes - you know the kind of scenes a good author writes to develop a character's back story, but then religates to the cutting room floor in order to make their finished work stronger. This is especially true for Miranda's part in Ember, her parts just flesh out things that are mentioned in passing for Miranda in Firelight. ...more
AH

Ember is being marketed as a prequel to Kristen Callihan’s debut novel Firelight. Ember doesn’t really feel like a prequel per se, instead it is more of a companion book that fills in some of the gaps in Firelight. As many reviewers have already said, Ember is more like the bonus and deleted scenes from Firelight.

How should you read this series? Ember first or Firelight first? I think I had a richer reading experience because I read Firelight first, then Ember. I was already familiar w
Jill

Come back to me, Archer.

Though Ember is a prequel to Firelight, in my opinion it's probably better to read this after Firelight. This short story fills in some of the details of the lives of Archer and Miranda, set (mostly) after their first meeting. The narrative alternates between Miranda and Archer's stories.

Miranda's timeline is set solely during 1881 in London. We see Archer travelling the world starting in 1879 in Egypt through the following three years to Central Mexico and the USA, and f
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This book should really be called #1.5 instead of .05. You'll be much better off if you read Firelight first before reading this book. Ember takes place shortly after Miranda and Archer initially meet and covers the years afterwards until they are reunited. Overall, I loved it. Except one thing.... I want more!
Dija
As far as novellas go, Ember is one of the better ones out there. But despite it being the prequel to Firelight, I wouldn't recommend reading it in that specific order, becase frankly, Ember isn't nearly as captivating. Most especially if you're meeting Miranda and Archer for the first time. If I'd read this before Firelight, I might have never gotten around to the latter because Miranda comes across as meek and impressionable and Archer as slightly insane and obsessed in this one.

Nonetheless,
new_user
Chase down Kristen Callihan's Firelight with the Ember novella. You won't be disappointed if you like deleted scenes or behind the scenes glimpses into nom-worthy titles, but Ember's allusions to scenes in Firelight mean more if one's read Firelight first, prequel or not.

For example, Firelight readers may have wondered about Miranda's relationship with Martin or the years between Miranda and Archer's reunion. Ember answers those questions, elaborates on certain motivations and turning points in
Jen (Red Hot Books)
For those of us who just couldn't get enough of Archer and Miranda in Firelight, there is just a little bit more of their story to share. "Ember" is characterized a prequel novella, but I'd consider it more like a companion piece highlighting a string of events leading to Archer & Miranda's reunion.

Most of those events are referenced in Firelight, which make them familiar, though enjoyable to read in more detail. We get a closer look at Miranda's failed engagement and how she met Billy, as w
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I absolutely LOVED Firelight. Firelight had so many things happening & briefly touched on things that needed more info.

This book just had to be. It explained all the small things that were briefly touched on in Firelight, so I think in order to get the full effect of this story, it is still important to read firelight first. I appreciated this book much better that way.

You get to find out about the warehouse fire; what happened with Archer in Egypt; Miranda & Martin'r relationship &
willaful
Although technically a prequel to FL, Ember will probably be most enjoyed by those who are already fans of the first book: the two main characters of the story never meet (except in a supernatural dream), so as an introduction, it might feel like too much of a teaser. It's a quick read, abut 65 pages of fast-moving story in my ebook edition.

Ember describes the events after Ash and Miranda's first meeting in the prologue of Firelight, and what led to Ash returning to claim Miranda as his bride. S
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Sep 14, 2014 Michelle [Helen Geek] rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michelle by: WAIT!! Read the first in this series before this Prequal. Doesn't make sense .. does it?
09/14/2014

Ending = 2 Stars
Worth the Chili = 2 Stars -- [$0.99 on Amazon]
Smexy [HEAT] Rating = N/A
88 pages

Well ... shite? I read Jilly Boo's review after I was about 50% through with this one. G
Ellen W-S
This prequel was well written from the point of view of Archer and Miranda and gave insight into these characters between the time they meet in the alley up to Archer's decision to return to London and claim his "unwitting" bride. This insight could have been incorporated into Firelight and I would have been much less confused. I do enjoy your writing Ms. Callahan! Keep writing, I like your intrigue, action and pace.
Heather C
I just recently read Firelight and LOVED it soooooo much that I’m trying my best to clear my review schedule so I can move on to Moonglow as soon a possible. The other night I was looking for something quick to read while on the elliptical and remembered there was a prequel to Firelight

WARNING WARNING WARNING — DO NOT READ EMBER BEFORE READING FIRELIGHT!!!!

Now that I’ve said that I can move on…

One thing I loved about Firelight was that I had so many questions throughout the book that were slowl
Keri
This was a great beginning of the series. I can't wait to read more about Archer and Miranda.
Danielle
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

This was a super quick read by Kristen Callihan and it introduces us the reader, to Miranda and Archer the hero and heroine of her upcoming novel Firelight. I haven't read Firelight yet, but I assume that this takes place directly before the events of Firelight begin. I thought that this was a nice introduction to both Archer and Miranda. I am now super curious to see how and where things end up with the two of them.

Already I am finding myself
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Uhm… well now, this wasn’t bad. Not great but also not bad. Callihan is as good as ever, her descriptions being amazing. Fascinating. Totally fascinating.

I mean, we get Archer wearing a "gallibaya". Which is spelled "galabeya" b-t-dub (just saying). Just imagine it. Nah, really imagine it. Let me help you.

Not bad, eh?

Sure hope he doesn’t get a rash in that thing. There be ugly rashes out there…

Plus a kufiya! Wilson! Image please!!

Archer the Arabian Prince. Yum!

No? Am I exaggerating again? Nah, w
Ember is published as a prequel novella to Kristen Callihan's debut novel Firelight but to be honest I think you're probably better off reading it after the main story. I absolutely loved Firelight and I really enjoyed getting a bit more background information about the main characters in Ember.

We get to see what happened to each of them in the three years between their very first meeting and when they marry. It was interesting to see more about how Miranda met Billy and to see just what caused
Claudette
Brilliant! This short story was so enthralling, I began looking for Firelight right after I finished it.

Never mind the references to the Beauty and the Beast story (which is an old favourite of mine) that sparked off my curiosity right away, the writing alone would have been enough to keep me reading for its entire length and more. It was just so detailed and mysterious, and I had that awesome and rare feeling that everything in the book was exactly as it should have been.

The main characters was
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish

This companion novella to Firelight fills in that three year time lapse at the beginning nicely. Readers who enjoyed the first book in the Darkest London series, and couldn't get enough of Miranda and Archer will find this informative. There were many things left unexplained about Miranda and Archer's time apart in Firelight like (view spoiler). I definitely wond
Kelly
Holy wow! This novella makes me want to read Firelight all over again. Because.... OMG! Archer! Miranda! THE THINGS! Seriously, the amount of emotion packed into the pages is phenomenal. I'm a huge fan of bridge novellas as it is and this one knocked it out of the park!

This gives us a peek into what happened in both Miranda's and Archer's lives between when Archer "saved" Miranda in the alley and when he returned to claim her three years later. While Archer's story is riveting (because... whoa.)
Alexia Chantel
After reading a book that you loved what do you wish for? Just a little bit more, a new view on some of the characters, a look at events to fill in the blanks, or even a little sneak peek at the next book. Ember has all of that.

Ember is a well-written short that is a great companion to Firelight. It is listed as 0.5 for the Darkest London series, but truly works best as 1.5. You get to see detail on some of the scenes the characters “remember” in book one. You also end up gaining an appreciation
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
This prequel takes place over the three year time span between the Prologue and Chapter one of Firelight. I would recommend reading it after Firelight as it gives away a little too much info on Archer to be read beforehand. You get to find out a little more about Miranda's fiancé Martin and why he left, and the reasons behind Miranda's illegal activities. Also a little on Archer's worldly travels and his quest to find answers to what ails him.

I'm not typically a huge fan of prequels, but I loved
Tarra
The events in Ember (mostly) take place during the three year period between the prologue of Firelight and the meat of the story. If I had not read the fantastic Firelight first, I'm not sure I would have based on Ember alone. I enjoyed Ember because a bit more of Firelight's story was fleshed out, a few more questions answered. But these would not make any sense to someone who hasn't read the full novel. Also, I think there were too many hints as to Archer's condition that would take away from ...more
Kara-karina
It's a very short prequel, not even a novella, more like a novelette, so my review will be proportionally short as well. *grinning*

My advise is if you haven't read Firelight already, pick up this book first and see if you like the style of the author. If you've read Firelight already I don't think you should bother with Ember. It tells you the same things you found out about Archer and Miranda from Firelight already, but in a little bit more detail and chronologically up to the point of Archer'
Talk Supe
This is a prequel to Firelight, it gives us more insight on Miranda and Archer's story and what really drove the latter to arrange a marriage with the former not just out of need but because Archer is truly infatuated with our heroine. At first I thought that Archer went sleazy and twisted Miranda's hand to be with him like Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Glad Archer is indeed a gentleman and didn't poach our firestarter from anybody.

I don't feel that this is an essential requisite to get into F
UltraMeital
Saturday morning, waking up lazily and reading before I get out of bed. Usually it's so lazy I fall back to sleep after a while then wake up fully and leave the comfort of my bed. Today I just kept turning and turning the pages (more pressing the Kindle screen though..) even though I know how this one will end since it's the prequel to Firelight I just finished. It CAN'T have a really happy ending as I know the state of both characters in the beginning of Firelight. They both want a happy ending ...more
Meigan
Short prequel that really shed some light on both Miranda and Archer.

In Ember, Callihan takes readers back to the beginning of how exactly Miranda went from living a plush life to living the life of petty crime. Her actions seemingly caused all of the good to be taken away and she has shouldered the majority of the blame herself, but also at the insistence of her father. He certainly blames her for their losses, unjustly so at times, and that weighs heavily on Miranda's shoulders.

Also in this
Nikki
Ember was an enjoyable prequel to Firelight, however, I felt it was largely unnecessary. I loved spending more time with Archer and Miranda, but the elements included in Ember could have simply been incorporated into Firelight. However, having full disclosure on events which were mentioned in Firelight was nice to have and would be best read after reading Firelight.
Marulett
This is a great prequel. We get to know what happened to both Miranda and Archer in the years they were appart after Archer saved her (or thought eh saved her) at the very begining of Firelight.

I highly recommend reading this one ;)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Once Upon a Wicked Night (Donovan Sisters, #1.5)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1)
  • A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4.5)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Her Christmas Pleasure (The Merry Widows #2)
  • The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)
Kristen Callihan is a child of the 80’s, which means she's worn neon skirts, black-lace gloves, and combat boots (although never all at once) and can quote John Hughes movies with the best of them. A life long daydreamer, she finally realized that the characters in her head needed a proper home and thus hit the keyboard. She believes that falling in love is one of the headiest experiences a person ...more
More about Kristen Callihan...
The Hook Up (Game On, #1) Firelight (Darkest London, #1) Moonglow (Darkest London, #2) Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) Shadowdance (Darkest London, #4)