Why I'm a Mormon

Why I'm a Mormon

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Why Im a Mormon is a collection of fascinating, individual journeys
Published August 7th 2012 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Why I'm a Mormon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why I'm a Mormon

Kristi
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was surprised at all the different angles that each person wrote their story. Each person's story is just a few pages so it's easy to pick this book up and read a little bit here and there. They were all unique and I enjoyed learning about their life backgrounds, family upbringing, conversion stories, and just their overall opinions of the Mormon faith. Some of the people in this book were born into the faith but I loved how they answered the question of why...more
Pat Tucker
I loved this book. It reminded me of This I Believe (which I also loved) from NPR. This book is a compilation of over 50 people writing about why they are Mormon. Some of the writers are well known but many are not. I enjoyed reading the different thoughts and approaches each one offered.
Ed
This may have a limited audience, which would mostly be Mormons, or more properly members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. However, if you are not a member of that Church, but you are curious about some of the people who are, this can be very interesting. This is a compilation of 53 people telling why they are members of The LDS Church. They are mostly famous, but many are not well known to the general public. Some recognizable people are David Archuleta, Steve Young, Jon M. H...more
Courtney Burns
Over 50 essays of faith and testimony from active members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I loved especially that the editor chose from such a wide range indivuduals and backgrounds (including a feminist--one of my favorite). I found the book both intellectually interesting and spiritually inspiring.

Here are a few that I particularly enjoyed:

David Archuleta
John Smith
Wendy Ulrich
Bradford Waldie

Katherine
There are over 50 stories of faith in this newly released book. We picked it up with the intent of reading one person's story each Sunday morning before church - with the challenge made to the kids to try to find an example of courage in each story (along the lines of Captain Moroni and President Monson's message in the January 2012 Ensign).
Many of the people featured in the book also have mormon messages on YouTube, which will be a fun follow-up for my kids.
Here is to our Sunday morning reading...more
Laurie Dewberry
I loved reading the life experiences of each person and how those shaped their testimony of the Gospel. I did feel like some of the introductions got so bogged down by the lists of accolades these individuals had achieved though. There were several that I just skimmed over because of all the technical jargon. There were some testimonies I wish would have been longer because I found that individual so fascinating and some whose perspective was so refreshing. Overall a very thought-provoking and f...more
Terrie
Testimonies of 53 affluent members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, this book called out to me from the shelves of Deseret Book when I was struggling with my own activity in The Church. Sometimes the biographies of the authors bogged it down, but it was interesting to see that they came from so many walks of life, politics, nationalities, and experiences. It was just nice to read something so uplifting.
Sandy
Surprisingly free of stereotypes. Read the testimonies of people I already know and respect with surprise at some of their challenges. Met some new Mormons. Stories range from inspiring conversion stories to simple statements of, "Why wouldn't I be a Mormon?" I found these articulate statements refreshing and they caused me to really ponder my own reasons. A good read.
Louise Hartvigsen
I enjoyed reading these short essays from well known Mormons. Some I found incredibly insightful, like that of Clayton Christensen. The comments of a Mormon feminist were also interesting to me, how she finds the doctrine of the church very liberating for women. I agree with her, but hadn't seen her points organized and articulated in quite that way before.
Terrah
I love these kinds of books-- this one is a collection of reflections from prominent LDS members. Most of them are fascinating conversion stories. A few of the recollections were especially powerful, that I'll remember for a long time. A great bedtime read for me-- something to look forward to that won't make me want to stay up all night reading!
Lacey
Really insightful. As a Mormon myself, I loved reading about different peoples testimonies and why exactly they are Mormon. It is wonderful to know, that even though we are all members of the same church, many people have different circumstances or reasons in particular as to why they are a member of this Church. Really great book!
James Goldberg
Fifty-three Latter-day Saints who are prominent in a wide range of fields contributed brief life sketches and discussions of their faith for this book. It was cool to read about the town Harry Reid grew up in, to hear Richard Bushman compare Mormonism to a jungle, and to get a wide range of stories from people I hadn't known.
Wendy
Read most of the book. I enjoyed hearing why different successful and famous people are Mormon. Their testimonies are inspiring! I didn't read all of them but I did share it with a friend who is not a Mormon and he is enjoying it.
Suzanne
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about each person in this book. Everyone had different insights which were interesing and enlightening. There were some people I'd never heard of--It's amazing where members of the church are.
Grace
Absolutely wonderful, terrific book. The beliefs and testimonies of 53 prominent Latter-Day Saints. Will make you ponder why YOU are a Mormon. I learned so much reading this book. Highly, highly recommend.
Andrea
What a great make you feel good your a Mormon book. Awesome testimonies about these famous, good people who are Mormons. Thanks Mom :) Great present!
Natasha
some very interesting stories, some people I'd never heard of, some cool insights.
Tenille
Great testimonies of famous LDS people. Great sunday reading!!
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Sharon Ivey-Swofford
Sharon Ivey-Swofford is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Seth Morin
Seth Morin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Heathere Willoughby
Heathere Willoughby marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Laura Spear
Laura Spear marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Iluvry
Iluvry marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 02, 2013