Start by marking “A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2)

A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,752 Ratings  ·  367 Reviews
Suffering from writer's block and frustrated with his tentative relationship with hot but closeted LAPD Homicide Detective Jake Riordan, gay bookseller and mystery writer Adrien English travels to northern California where he finds a body in his front drive. By the time the sheriffs arrive the body has disappeared, and Adrien once again finds himself playing amateur sleuth ...more
Published 2002 by Gay Men's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Thing

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Photobucket

There is potential between Adrien and Jake, although Jake can't read see it yet.

Adrien English needs to make some changes since he is not in the best of moods. One of the reasons is his detective "friend" Jake Riordan. Jake is tough, smart, very handsome but also deeply closeted. Another reason for his sourly mood is his writer's block. Therefore Adrien decides to go out of town for a little vacation. Our wannabe criminologist is heading off for his pro
Loederkoningin
2015 Comfort re-read #3. I'm not embarrassed. Oh, and it's funny how 'normal' those (view spoiler) scenes are, and yet they make me hold my breath and make my heart swell where many fuss & frills filled scenes in other books leave me cold. :')

2013I'm head over heels.

Okay, that should actually be Team Jake & Team Adrien.:)
Vilda
I admit I still miss more romance between Adrien and Jake, but I still really enjoy these books! And love these two. <3 I just want more... ;) I think I'll wait to pick up the next one until I'm in the mood for a bit more mystery than romance though!
Vivian
Jul 10, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue and suspense with the hapless and lovable Adrien right in the middle of it--again.

Dude is a trouble magnet. Truth is he often stumbles across it innocently, but then manages to court it quite well. Here, an escape from LA to the hinterlands north in abandoned gold mining country leads to all kinds of brouhaha. Nice character backstory woven in and some sweet progress with the reticent detective, Jake. I feel severe yo-yo syndrome about to start. Ain't gonna be that easy to fix what's br
Ingela
Written May 27, 2014

4.3 Stars - An even tighter band to tie me into these guys lives - My goodness, so amazingly addictive

Book #2

I was listening to the audio of the first part Fatal Shadows (4.3 stars) in the Adrien English Mystery just some days ago, and it was a very promising start.

Will there be a tiny little bit kissing and romantic parts this time? ~ Indeed, it might. - *happy smile* - Thanks, I loved that... yummy good!!

These Adrien English books may be more more of brazen, on the "surfa
Sofia
Oct 08, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

First reading 05.12.2013
For me this was a welcome dive into Lanyon's world. A page turner with guys whom I'm interested in. The second book continued on the promise of the first and gave me more I suspect the relationship between Adrien and Jake is going to be troubled and not instant. Yes, something to chew on at last. Have to keep myself from instantly going on to the 3rd book, have to savour these. Keep them as treats, not shoved down randomly.

Reread 08.10.2014
Rather a hearing not a reading.
Wendy Ciliacus
Wow...another series that I just can't stop reading. It's way past my bedtime, and I'm wondering how much of book 3 would be able to read, before I fall over.

I know it's gonna be a bumpy ride, since I've already read all the reviews for the next books. I also hate Jake a bit already.... Now as some of you know, I'm all for the redeemable asshole, but the question in the end will be.... will he be able to redeem himself.

I really enjoyed this one...more than the previous book. I liked that the MC
Breann
The mystery was meh. I didn't find myself caring too much about the outcome of the murders.

I did want more of the relationship between Jake and Adrien though. They really had a rocky start and I'm still trying not to want to impale Jake with a butter knife. They had some great moments and even some sexy ones. But still, Jake was such a complete dickwad at times. Can they just be nice to each other for, oh I don't know... a whole day at least? *sigh & eyeroll*

Adrien's snark still makes him o
Anna  (Bananas!)
Apr 21, 2013 Anna (Bananas!) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, thriller-mystery
While the mystery didn't hold my attention much this round, the slightly awkward yet compelling evolution of Adrien and Jake's relationship made this a keeper.

Jake Riordan
(All I picture is Robert Redford.)
 photo robert1_zps828eaef0.jpg

Adrien English
(Montgomery Clift)
 photo Monty_zps3d1a5692.jpg

The Characters
I still adore Adrien's sense of humor. The occasional times I got bored, his drily funny comments and one-liners pulled me back in - and often caught me by surprise.

I use the term "holding on" loosely, because for the most part life went on ex
Bev
Feb 10, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Oh Jake, you wonderful man, you finally got with the programme!!

Josh.

This was a smashing follow-up to 'Fatal Shadows'. We knew that there was a smidgen of interest on Jake's part in Adrien, and we knew damn well that Adrien was into Jake. I'm ashamed to say that the storyline pretty much took a back seat as far as I was concerned to the developing relationship between the two of them.

It was fairly obvious in the first book who our baddie was, and Mr Lanyon seemed to take more care in this book
Lena♥Ribka

**** Warning!!! It could contain spoilers!!! ****

Actually I am so eager to read the next book that I don't want to waste my time trying to persuade you to fall in love with this series.

From the other hand, I don't need to convince anybody:

It is the second instalment and probably you're already through the beginning and are in the similar situation - YOU WANT TO READ MORE, right?

Just some thoughts to the second book:

Josh Lanyon in a rather unusual way proved that he can writes a very good myste
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Review written after re-reading it.

I was hooked with the first book in the series and last year I read the five installments back to back. I enjoyed this book, but with time its memory sort of faded in my mind, because what happens in book 3 is shocking and you just HAVE TO read #4 to keep your sanity. Poor #2 seemed almost light in comparison to the darker story in Fatal Shadows and the shock (I don't have another word) of The Hell You Say. I was a bit surprised and very delighted to find that
Shelley
This was A-Okay. A good 3.5 Stars.

More character development and interaction between our protagonists gives this book that something more that I missed in 1]Fatal Shadows. The murder mystery story line was clever (as usual) and engaging with lots of action and excitement, but as soon as Adrien walks into a library or a museum? I start skimming. It's no secret that I see this series as the Adrien and Jake show, so I tend to focus on that.

Happily I learned a few good things about Adrien, enough to
Jenni Lea
Nov 20, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: SueM

OK, its official. I’m hooked on Adrien English. While the storyline in this book wasn’t as interesting as the first one, the sexy times more than made up for it. And I have to give props to Mr. Lanyon. I didn’t figure out whodunit until a couple of pages before they were revealed. I would like to know what’s up with the abrupt endings though. I take it this is the author’s writing style. I can deal with it. On to the next one!
Vishous
3.5

better...much better... but need more of them together! much more....
Lenore
On the latest episode of Lenore's Josh Lanyon binge...

I liked this better than the first book in the series, Fatal Shadows. The mystery was better, there was more action, and things have finally started picking up between Adrien and Jake. Though I have to admit the way they came together, intimately I mean, was a bit anticlimactic. Made you wonder what took them so long to even exchange a kiss if it was always that simple. And they obviously care about each other but it's also obvious they have
Lelyana
Aug 12, 2015 Lelyana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, gfy, slow-burn, read-2015

*source:http://joyfullyjay.com/2013/12/guest-...

I know this is going to be a hard ride, especially with Jake and Adrien.
I didn't have a problem with the murder, hell...every where Adrien go, it seems he attracted murder.
While Jake is...SMH... All the time, I wanna call the Corleone family and do these things to him...

And Adrien is just do whatever Jake please. Grrr...
"“I’ve got nothing to offer you, Adrien.” These were not the opening remarks to a proposal.
“I don’t recall asking.” For good meas
Jan 17, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

”Spooky footfalls in the night are not nearly as frightening as the prospect of being alone and lonely.”

I have the biggest blushing crush right now! I’m not entirely certain who I have the bigger crush on though—Adrien or Josh Lanyon? :D In book two of Josh Lanyon’s Adrien English Mysteries, we once again find Adrien displaying his knack for bumping into dead bodies. The man is like a magnet for mystery!

Tumbleweeds, rattlesnakes, tobacco spewing deputies, lost gold mines, secret Indian societie
Gaby
Aug 22, 2015 Gaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to write something about this before I get all confused with where a book ends and the next starts.

When I started this series I had no clue what to expect besides the following:

1. Mystery
2. A super slow burn
3. A MC who was the asshole of assholes
4. That I would dislike/hate said asshole
5. That I would thoroughly enjoy that in spite of all that

All of the above are right. I do need to complain cuz no one warned me about said asshole doctoring canned stew with Tabasco sauce. I. Am. Still.
Therese
Aug 04, 2014 Therese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery in this book was definitely more elaborate than in book 1. It still has a classic crime though. Where Dark Shadows had “The Stalker back from the past”, this one has “The Mystery of the Missing Corpse”.
Although the corpse was just the beginning…

(view spoiler)
Dani
May 12, 2016 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of biased POVs and unreliable narrators

Audio "reread".

Oh my, the gradual build up of the emotional stakes. And the beautiful, effortless writing. And the atmospheric, evocative language. And best of all, as always, Adrien's hilariously stubborn denial to look too closely at what is going on inside him, while all the strong and complex emotions and subtleties just TINGLE behind every line he is giving us. Brilliant.

Two things stood out for me during this re-read:

(1) Somehow Lanyon managed to hand us a fully fleshed-out Jake through A
Debra
This book definitely moved along better than the first. While the mystery is still the main part of the book, Adrien and Jake's budding relationship gets a lot of time as well.

Two months after the events in the first book Adrien leaves LA to visit the ranch he inherited from his grandmother, in an attempt to clear his head and get away from his "relationship" with Jake. Their relationship seems to be more off than on, and Adrien views it as a tentative friendship that he fears will be gone with
Kelly H. (Maybedog)

Jake can be such an ass and Adrien doesn't even see it. He puts up with way more than is even believable. They've been "together" three months and in this book they finally kiss. Jake's homophobia and self-loathing is getting tiring. It's also confusing as he is inconsistent with affection. Why a guy whose been out his whole life would be willing to be with someone like Jake who doesn't even let Adrien touch him is too far fetched.

But... Lanyon is a gifted writer and this book is a joy
KatieMc
I liked this book so much I read it twice, in a row. This was the payoff for slugging through the first book, which sets up Jake and Adrien as a sort-of couple. Call me evil, but I love the delicious dysfunction that is their relationship. Are you following me or am I following you?

There is one mystery that I have not solved. What's up with Jake calling Adrien 'baby'? I can see it after they had relations, but during their not-yet-a-couple friendship phase, it doesn't make sense.

Ami
May 24, 2009 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of Adrien English mystery is better and so much yummier than the first one. The murder mystery is wrapped up nicely and Mr. Lanyon keeps us guessing until the very last pages. The relationship between Adrien and his "possible lover" the very closeted gay L.A.P.D. homicide detective, Jake Riordan, develops smoothly and charmingly. The only let down of this story is the fact that I should've bought the 3rd and 4th book with this book because now I am craving for more of Adrien stor ...more
Rosa, really
Sep 15, 2014 Rosa, really rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love tortuous bastards
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Uh....everybody.
If the first book Fatal Shadows is noirish, than A Dangerous Thing is definitely a Western--Adrien English Rides Again! Or perhaps Adrien English and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre! (*said in movie announcer voice*)

Lanyon definitely knows how to infuse a book with the right sort of atmosphere. From the two old "geezers" telling jokes about General Custer, to Jake eating his morning "vittles," to the Sheriff that actually tells Adrien not to leave town, you never forget that you could be read
Susan
Aug 18, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Thank goodness...book 2 starting picking up the pace...a little bit. There's potential here.

Again, the first half of the book I kept thinking "I don’t understand how any of this can be considered romance." In fact, the main "couple" didn't even share their first KISS until 63% into the SECOND book! Now THAT'S taking it slow!!!!!

What frustrated me for most of this book is that we're supposed to think of Adrien & Jake as a couple. But Jake, actually loathing the fact that he's gay, has a girl
Vio
Aug 24, 2012 Vio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala
Deeze
Oct 03, 2012 Deeze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another extremely well told and interesting story with the romance building up slowly.

The mystery again kept me guessing only this time I had no idea whodunit lol. The look into the past and the Indian legends were enjoyable contrasts to the present day activities.

Jake again left me feeling conflicted. I felt so bad for Adrien when he made the phone call at the begining, but then Jake immediately followed him. Talk about mixed signals. I'm assuming from friends remarks that he gets worse befor
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Adrien just can't catch a break, can he? He goes on "vacation" to his grandmother's ranch and stumbles over a dead body, that then disappears. And so ensues a battle of wills (and wits) with a small-minded sheriff, a homophobic sidewalk preacher, and a college group digging in his hills for a lost cave.

I had actually forgotten the whodunit on this one, so it was neat to get to listen to this and try to figure it out all over again. The mystery is much better done in this one, as we have a few d
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop #5)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Double Down (Shadow of the Templar, #2)
  • Quis Custodiet (The Administration, #5)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi
More about Josh Lanyon...

The Adrien English Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1)
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4)
  • The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5)

“Adrien, people get killed all the time. Since when is it your job to find out what happened to them?"

"I'm not usually suspected of murdering them."

"You have been as long as I've known you.”
52 likes
“I'm a thirty-something gay man with a dodgy heart. I sell books for a living. Who wants to read about that?” 34 likes