Start by marking “A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2)

A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English #2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,580 ratings  ·  253 reviews
Suffering from writer's block and frustrated with his tentative relationship with hot but closeted LAPD Homicide Detective Jake Riordan, gay bookseller and mystery writer Adrien English travels to northern California where he finds a body in his front drive. By the time the sheriffs arrive the body has disappeared, and Adrien once again finds himself playing amateur sleuth ...more
Published 2002 by Gay Men's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Thing

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Photobucket

There is potential between Adrien and Jake, although Jake can't read see it yet.

Adrien English needs to make some changes since he is not in the best of moods. One of the reasons is his detective "friend" Jake Riordan. Jake is tough, smart, very handsome but also deeply closeted. Another reason for his sourly mood is his writer's block. Therefore Adrien decides to go out of town for a little vacation. Our wannabe criminologist is heading off for his prop
Vilda
I admit I still miss more romance between Adrien and Jake, but I still really enjoy these books! And love these two. <3 I just want more... ;) I think I'll wait to pick up the next one until I'm in the mood for a bit more mystery than romance though!
Ingela
Written May 27, 2014

4.3 Stars - An even tighter band to tie me into these guys lives - My goodness, so amazingly addictive

Book #2

I was listening to the audio of the first part Fatal Shadows (4.3 stars) in the Adrien English Mystery just some days ago, and it was a very promising start.

Will there be a tiny little bit kissing and romantic parts this time? ~ Indeed, it might. - *happy smile* - Thanks, I loved that... yummy good!!

These Adrien English books may be more more of brazen, on the "surfa
Loederkoningin
I'm head over heels.

Okay, that should actually be Team Jake & Team Adrien.:)
Sofia

First reading 05.12.2013
For me this was a welcome dive into Lanyon's world. A page turner with guys whom I'm interested in. The second book continued on the promise of the first and gave me more I suspect the relationship between Adrien and Jake is going to be troubled and not instant. Yes, something to chew on at last. Have to keep myself from instantly going on to the 3rd book, have to savour these. Keep them as treats, not shoved down randomly.

Reread 08.10.2014
Rather a hearing not a reading.
Breann
The mystery was meh. I didn't find myself caring too much about the outcome of the murders.

I did want more of the relationship between Jake and Adrien though. They really had a rocky start and I'm still trying not to want to impale Jake with a butter knife. They had some great moments and even some sexy ones. But still, Jake was such a complete dickwad at times. Can they just be nice to each other for, oh I don't know... a whole day at least? *sigh & eyeroll*

Adrien's snark still makes him o
Anna  (Bananas!)
While the mystery didn't hold my attention much this round, the slightly awkward yet compelling evolution of Adrien and Jake's relationship made this a keeper.

Jake Riordan
(All I picture is Robert Redford.)
 photo robert1_zps828eaef0.jpg

Adrien English
(Montgomery Clift)
 photo Monty_zps3d1a5692.jpg

The Characters
I still adore Adrien's sense of humor. The occasional times I got bored, his drily funny comments and one-liners pulled me back in - and often caught me by surprise.

I use the term "holding on" loosely, because for the most part life went on ex
Lena♥Ribka

**** Warning!!! It could contain spoilers!!! ****

Actually I am so eager to read the next book that I don't want to waste my time trying to persuade you to fall in love with this series.

From the other hand, I don't need to convince anybody:

It is the second instalment and probably you're already through the beginning and are in the similar situation - YOU WANT TO READ MORE, right?

Just some thoughts to the second book:

Josh Lanyon in a rather unusual way proved that he can writes a very good myste
Bev

Oh Jake, you wonderful man, you finally got with the programme!!

Josh.

This was a smashing follow-up to 'Fatal Shadows'. We knew that there was a smidgen of interest on Jake's part in Adrien, and we knew damn well that Adrien was into Jake. I'm ashamed to say that the storyline pretty much took a back seat as far as I was concerned to the developing relationship between the two of them.

It was fairly obvious in the first book who our baddie was, and Mr Lanyon seemed to take more care in this book
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Review written after re-reading it.

I was hooked with the first book in the series and last year I read the five installments back to back. I enjoyed this book, but with time its memory sort of faded in my mind, because what happens in book 3 is shocking and you just HAVE TO read #4 to keep your sanity. Poor #2 seemed almost light in comparison to the darker story in Fatal Shadows and the shock (I don't have another word) of The Hell You Say. I was a bit surprised and very delighted to find that
Shelley
This was A-Okay. A good 3.5 Stars.

More character development and interaction between our protagonists gives this book that something more that I missed in 1]Fatal Shadows. The murder mystery story line was clever (as usual) and engaging with lots of action and excitement, but as soon as Adrien walks into a library or a museum? I start skimming. It's no secret that I see this series as the Adrien and Jake show, so I tend to focus on that.

Happily I learned a few good things about Adrien, enough to
Lenore
On the latest episode of Lenore's Josh Lanyon binge...

I liked this better than the first book in the series, Fatal Shadows. The mystery was better, there was more action, and things have finally started picking up between Adrien and Jake. Though I have to admit the way they came together, intimately I mean, was a bit anticlimactic. Made you wonder what took them so long to even exchange a kiss if it was always that simple. And they obviously care about each other but it's also obvious they have
Jenni Lea
Nov 20, 2013 Jenni Lea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenni Lea by: SueM

OK, its official. I’m hooked on Adrien English. While the storyline in this book wasn’t as interesting as the first one, the sexy times more than made up for it. And I have to give props to Mr. Lanyon. I didn’t figure out whodunit until a couple of pages before they were revealed. I would like to know what’s up with the abrupt endings though. I take it this is the author’s writing style. I can deal with it. On to the next one!
Vishous
3.5

better...much better... but need more of them together! much more....

”Spooky footfalls in the night are not nearly as frightening as the prospect of being alone and lonely.”

I have the biggest blushing crush right now! I’m not entirely certain who I have the bigger crush on though—Adrien or Josh Lanyon? :D In book two of Josh Lanyon’s Adrien English Mysteries, we once again find Adrien displaying his knack for bumping into dead bodies. The man is like a magnet for mystery!

Tumbleweeds, rattlesnakes, tobacco spewing deputies, lost gold mines, secret Indian societie
Therese
The mystery in this book was definitely more elaborate than in book 1. It still has a classic crime though. Where Dark Shadows had “The Stalker back from the past”, this one has “The Mystery of the Missing Corpse”.
Although the corpse was just the beginning…

(view spoiler)
Kelly H. (Maybedog)

Jake can be such an ass and Adrien doesn't even see it. He puts up with way more than is even believable. They've been "together" three months and in this book they finally kiss. Jake's homophobia and self-loathing is getting tiring. It's also confusing as he is inconsistent with affection. Why a guy whose been out his whole life would be willing to be with someone like Jake who doesn't even let Adrien touch him is too far fetched.

But... Lanyon is a gifted writer and this book is a joy
KatieMc
I liked this book so much I read it twice, in a row. This was the payoff for slugging through the first book, which sets up Jake and Adrien as a sort-of couple. Call me evil, but I love the delicious dysfunction that is their relationship. Are you following me or am I following you?

There is one mystery that I have not solved. What's up with Jake calling Adrien 'baby'? I can see it after they had relations, but during their not-yet-a-couple friendship phase, it doesn't make sense.

Vio
Debra
This book definitely moved along better than the first. While the mystery is still the main part of the book, Adrien and Jake's budding relationship gets a lot of time as well.

Two months after the events in the first book Adrien leaves LA to visit the ranch he inherited from his grandmother, in an attempt to clear his head and get away from his "relationship" with Jake. Their relationship seems to be more off than on, and Adrien views it as a tentative friendship that he fears will be gone with
Deeze
Another extremely well told and interesting story with the romance building up slowly.

The mystery again kept me guessing only this time I had no idea whodunit lol. The look into the past and the Indian legends were enjoyable contrasts to the present day activities.

Jake again left me feeling conflicted. I felt so bad for Adrien when he made the phone call at the begining, but then Jake immediately followed him. Talk about mixed signals. I'm assuming from friends remarks that he gets worse befor
Ami
The second book of Adrien English mystery is better and so much yummier than the first one. The murder mystery is wrapped up nicely and Mr. Lanyon keeps us guessing until the very last pages. The relationship between Adrien and his "possible lover" the very closeted gay L.A.P.D. homicide detective, Jake Riordan, develops smoothly and charmingly. The only let down of this story is the fact that I should've bought the 3rd and 4th book with this book because now I am craving for more of Adrien stor ...more
Macky ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
How can you not love Adriens self deprecating wit and Jakes stubborn charm. Another fab addition to the series. Love this style of snarky humour but at the same time still maintaining a good solid mystery in the backstory to their on off relationship. No complaints here.
Rosa, really
Sep 15, 2014 Rosa, really rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love tortuous bastards
Recommended to Rosa, really by: Uh....everybody.
If the first book Fatal Shadows is noirish, than A Dangerous Thing is definitely a Western--Adrien English Rides Again! Or perhaps Adrien English and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre! (*said in movie announcer voice*)

Lanyon definitely knows how to infuse a book with the right sort of atmosphere. From the two old "geezers" telling jokes about General Custer, to Jake eating his morning "vittles," to the Sheriff that actually tells Adrien not to leave town, you never forget that you could be readi
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Another super crime story where the clues are to be found in the past which leads to finding the solution in the present. I loved this story was enthralled all the way through. I loved the way that Adrien is led a merry dance by Jake, constantly pussy footing around the inevitable, however Adrien sticks to his guns and doesn't let Jake use him. At the beginning I just wanted to bang their heads together. Well, they both end up having too much whiskey, drinks in and wits out, Adrien's guard is do ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm going to review this quickly because I jumped right to the third and have trouble differentiating between the two books right now.

Still just the barest hint of romance but a really well done mystery. I'm hooked!!
JR
May 24, 2014 JR rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you know who you are
This story pushed all my buttons. Witty, fun, hot sexy love scene, and a good mystery.

Adrien once again decides that running away is better than trying to deal with the complex relationship he has with Jake. Under the guise of writing, he goes off to the abandon ranch that he inherited from his grandmother. Of course, with Adrien the improbable happens when he spies a body in front if the house as he drives up. He alerts the local sheriff, who finds no body when he arrives.

His credibility in
Natasha
Oh yeah, another JL classic! This one... perhaps... 3.75 stars? Ish? It's still fantastic and I enjoyed most of this book (especially the sex. wink wink), but I wasn't too concerned of involved in the actual mystery.
On to the next!
Edina Rose
Finished the audiobook, and Oh My GOSH! The narration is even better than Fatal Shadows's narration. Adrien's voice is GREAT and Jake's voice is SPOT ON. And I have to wait for the next book, The Hell You Say!!! When I reread the WHOLE series, like now (I was reading A Dangerous Thing ebook and listening to the audiobook at the same time, but not with Whyspersinc, unfortunately, 'cause it was not yet available), I always skip some parts of The Hell You Say because it's just so awfully painful. S ...more
Susan

Thank goodness...book 2 starting picking up the pace...a little bit. There's potential here.

Again, the first half of the book I kept thinking "I don’t understand how any of this can be considered romance." In fact, the main "couple" didn't even share their first KISS until 63% into the SECOND book! Now THAT'S taking it slow!!!!!

What frustrated me for most of this book is that we're supposed to think of Adrien & Jake as a couple. But Jake, actually loathing the fact that he's gay, has a girl
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • A Reason To Believe
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Dirty Secret (Cole McGinnis, #2)
  • Bulletproof (A Matter of Time #5)
  • Double Down (Shadow of the Templar, #2)
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three- ...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) Fair Game (All's Fair, #1) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4) The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)

“Adrien, people get killed all the time. Since when is it your job to find out what happened to them?"

"I'm not usually suspected of murdering them."

"You have been as long as I've known you.”
46 likes
“I'm a thirty-something gay man with a dodgy heart. I sell books for a living. Who wants to read about that?” 28 likes