Shadows Still Remain

Shadows Still Remain (O’Hara & Krekorian #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Edgy, electrifying and dark—a riveting debut.

A Beautiful Woman, Missing

New York City, 2005. Thanksgiving weekend. A topless Kate Moss peers down from a billboard over rain-spattered Houston Street. Escaping a troubled past, Francesca Pena came to the city and reinvented herself. At New York University, her beauty and charisma are the envy of her privileged pals, yet none k

Published (first published January 1st 2009)

Sara
In Shadows Still Remain Peter de Jonge (as in the frequent James Patterson co-author) creates O’Hara a beautiful, rash and ambitious detective. O’Hara “catches” her first murder case and is determined to work it so much so that she breaks all the rules of professionalism and police protocol. As she learns more about the victim, Franseca Pena, “the undisputed star…whose approval and messy snorts of laughter the others vie for”, each new clue only begets more questions. Out of her league and damag...more
Boof
If you fancy wasting a few hours on an appallingly written, cliched groan-fest of a book - I have found just the one for you!

By the time I reached the bottom of the first page I had rolled my eyes several times. With sentenses like "Pena turns west at fifty-second and with long athletic strides traverses another cheerless block. She passes six-storey walk-ups, a basement dry-cleaner and another cheerless pub...." Tsk tsk! Very sloppy!!

And don't get me started on the characters: an Irish de...more
Patricia

When a woman’s body is found brutally murdered in East River Park, Detective Darlene O’Hara of the Seventh Precinct rushes to the scene. Darlene has taken a missing person’s report from David McLain who states that Francesca Pena, a beautiful, promising student at NYU did not come home for Thanksgiving dinner. David planned a Thanksgiving dinner for Pena and could not understand why Pena failed to come home. Detective O’Hara feels sure that the victim is Pena. O’Hara and her partner Serge Krekor...more
My copy of this book has a sticker claiming "as good as James Patterson or your money back" and for me it is very much like any given James Patterson (probably unsurprisingly so as Peter de Jonge has cowritten with Patteson several times.

It is an easy to read, fast paced novel. Francesca Pena goes missing from a New York bar and is later found tortured and killed. Detectives O'Hara and Krekorian find themselves with 72 hours to solve the crime before the Homicide Unit take over the case. They s...more
Terry
NYU co-ed Francesca Pena disappears one Thanksgiving weekend. When her horribly mutilated corpse is found, NYPD homicide digs in. Detective Darlene O'Hara is this case's maverick investigator: of course she drinks too much and is smarter than all her superiors! Short chapters, snappy dialogue, red herrings, and more--blurbed by Lehane and Patterson. I'd definitely read this author again.
Andrea
Jul 10, 2010 Andrea rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: KT via NB&N
Really 2.5 stars. Clearly, the author is not a woman and does not have any clue as to what motivates women - so many of the victim's actions made no sense whatsoever. Same goes for the detective and even the dean of NYU. And whatever happened to the victim's geeky boyfriend?? This could have been so much better, and I'm disappointed that it wasn't.
Renee
This mystery/thriller was well written, with original characters. Detective O'Hara is brilliant, dedicated and horribly flawed, just the way I like her. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys the unexpected and unique endings.
Perfect Summer read. Be warned, not for the youngsters.
Jeannie Niles
Jan 07, 2010 Jeannie Niles rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book was just okay. I'm always looking for new authors but was disappointed in this book. Not exactly sure why I was disappointed but the writing wasn't up to par with some of the more well known writers like Kellerman, Grisham, Cornwell.
Kathleen Hagen
Shadows Still Remain, by Peter de Jonge, B-plus. Narrated by Tina Benko, produced by Harper Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

I believe this is a debut novel and very good for a first novel. The title is a good one because even after the mystery is solved, shadows still remain as to the why of things. Darlene O’Hara is a cop who, when on duty, interviewed a man who walked into the police station and said his roommate, Francesca Pena, was missing. She had gone out the night before Thanksgiving,...more
Bonnie Brody
I read Peter De Jonge's second Darlene O'Hara mytery,Buried on Avenue B: A Novel and enjoyed it so much that I decided to read the first book in the series. I was not disappointed. Shadows Still Remain is a riveting, character driven mystery with twists and turns galore. The protagonist, Darlene O'Hara is an interesting character and in this first book we get a look at her earlier life and what made her who she was in the second book of the series.

The story is about the murder of a young woman,...more
Angela
Shadows Still Remain, by Peter De Jonge is a fast paced story about a female detective, Darlene O'Hara who is trying to make it into the Homicide Division. She catches a case involving a missing NYU student, and quickly learns that the girl is not really missing, but dead.

As O'Hara and her partner follow the clues, they also bump heads with the lead investigator on the case, Lowry. Because of their dislike for each other, O'Hara keeps information from Lowry and gets herself into all kinds of me...more
L
I read this one specifically to fulfill a reading challenge to read a thriller. I spent 75% of the book thinking that it was a good mystery but not the edge of your seat thriller variety. The suspense and action all happens in the last 50 pages or so. Still I enjoyed it especially how the story followed through all the loose ends and didn't just end with the capture of the killer.
Steph R
I'm not a fan of mystery/suspense kind of book but this one is surprisingly unexpected. Lots of twists. For a murder-mystery book, this one is full of cliché. It was slow paced from the start and at the middle to the end it was fast-paced, there's no rhythm in between.

(view spoiler)
Beth Schneider
I believe that I may have read this book before as there were parts of it that definitely were familiar, however, the ending was definitely a surprise for me. So, who knows? After reading thousands of books, they do tend to meld together sometimes. Anyway, I thought this was a solid book. I enjoyed the main character of the Irish-American female police detective. Though she works mainly assaults and burglaries, she stumbles into a missing person case that quickly turns into a homicide investigat...more
Jody
This book was an easy read, just like Patterson. You can tell where De Jonge gets his influence because the chapters are short and it seems there are not a lot of words on the pages just like Patterson and any other book I could pull off of my little girl's bookshelf. It was a good mystery in that you don't see the end coming but the characters could have had more depth to them. I would suggest reading this if you need something to fill your lunch breaks at work but this is not one of those nove...more
Betty
Nancy Pearl (the uber-librarian) recommended this but when I read the jacket cover I almost returned it to the library unread. Too many cliches: hard drinking cop, beautiful girl missing, gritty NYC streets. I was down to my last mystery, so I gave it a shot and it was actually pretty good with a twist at the end that I didn't see coming (but should have). Nevertheless, I doubt that I'll seek this author out for more. There are better books and Nancy Pearl knows it, but maybe she has read them a...more
Mandie Kok
Jan 14, 2013 Mandie Kok rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: holiday-goers with nothing else to read
I found this book rather dull. I was one fifth through before a body was found. There are a lot of descriptions of the city and a lot of character history.

When I read romance or crime novels, I expect formula. I like formula. It's reassuring. So when a crime novel takes its time to deliver a body and tells me about the detective's high school years, I get bored.

The murder plot was suitably disturbing and the second half of the book perked up enough to get three stars from me.
Andrew Neal
I read the second book (Buried in Avenue B) first, and it suffered from a few problems that this book didn't have. This one was much stronger and more focused. I was impressed with author's ability to keep pouring more and more strangeness into the plot without crowding out the basic mystery.

I wouldn't recommend this one for people who don't like horrible, twisted characters and events in their fiction. It's messed up. I was actually surprised at some of the awfulness.
Tony
A compelling page-turner set in NYC. The main character is a detective who stumbles upon the body of an NYU student who appears to be the "girl from the bad part of town who made good." The main detective, O'Hara, appears to have some "girl from the bad part of town" in her past and is trying to make up for it. The author, De Jong, doesn't get bogged down in the police procedures but focuses on O'Hara's need to figure out who Francesca Pena is...or was.
Corene
I took a break from chick lit and literary fiction to read this fast paced, gritty thriller about a murdered NYU student and the female police detective who tenaciously tracks her killer. Black and white photos precede some of the chapters, and add realism to the already vivid descriptions of New York streets and neighborhoods. With an appealing main character and a creepy plot reminiscent of "Law & Order SVU," this one kept me up all night reading.
Lois Clark-Johnston
Hm, not too bad for a first book. The plot did not really flow smoothly, the surprise twist-while surprising failed to really work because the players did not have clear and believable motives. He either should have quit at the first revelation or further explored the second realization. Also character development was ok, but lacked true attachment that makes you really care about what happens to the characters.
Susan
This author has co-written several novels with James Patterson--who is not one of my favorites, but an easy-to-read-in-one-day sort of fellow--and I like his work better when he works alone. The main character is certainly flawed but likable, and the different paths the thriller took actually surprised me, and I'm usually pretty good at figuring out how stories will play out!
Daniel Solen
This book followed a few too many of the typical crime novel clichés like the late thirties early forties, lone cop who ignores her boss to get the case taken care of. Despite the clichés, the story was actually decent, and had a good ending. I think the story took a little too long to build, and in the end was somewhat forgettable since I've read so many of these books.
Jennifer Jowsey
maybe 2.5, but not quite 3 stars. the story was okay. however, none of the characters were particularly likable, and the main character just wasn't a very good detective (and it didn't seem like it was written that way intentionally). took me three tries picking this up and starting it, finally got through it. i don't think i'd read anything else of this author's.
Liz
A quick yet strangely compelling read...I enjoyed how Detective O'Hara kept at it to find out more about Francesca Pena. Still left questions at the end, but the initial mystery was solved. The descriptions of Bruno were the most entertaining. This was the February book choice for Madison Murder Ink...so we shall see how it rates with the rest of the group.
Angela
I little slow in the beginning, but picks up in the end.

Descriptions are good to build the characters and the surroundings but there can be too much and this book in my opinion has way too many. I understand why it was done and some parts needed it to get you through the story but not all of them.

Still an easy enjoyable read. Not great by no means but good.
Heather P
This wasn't one of my favorite books at all. It was very slow going. It got going about page 50. I didn't like how the author used so many names and said when he was thinking something all the time. The story was interesting but it didn't keep my interest. It isn't very often that I rate a book a ** Star but, I really couldn't stay interested in this book. Heather
Loretta
Well, I think it deserves a solid 5 stars. The main characters are well sketched. For those living in New York City, there is added interest. The storyline is slowly drawn out, but the action is still intense. You will be turning the last few pages, and still the characters and plot are being revealed yet even more. I can't wait for his next one.
Richard
Like watching a train wreck...too gritty, seamy, depraved. Mr. de Jonge has collaborated with James Patterson and is a well known author with many magazines, especially New York based, where this novel is set.

I cannot recommend it to anyone, but if you do read it, be warned there are several endings, but only the final one is good.
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • The Second Death Of Goodluck Tinubu (Detective Kubu, #2)
  • The Intruder
  • A Cool Breeze on the Underground (Neal Carey #1)
  • Crying Wolf
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Black Monday
  • The Fury (Henry Parker, #4)
  • The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1)
  • Bad Things Happen (David Loogan, #1)
  • Yesterday's Echo
  • Whiplash River: A Novel
  • Cold Heart (Lorraine Page, #3)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • Hollywood Moon (Hollywood, #3)
  • Crackdown
Peter de Jonge is the co-author, with James Patterson, of three bestselling novels, including the Number 1 New York Times bestsellers Beach Road and The Beach House. He has written for a variety of publications including National Geographic, New York Magazine and Harper’s Bazaar. He was born in New York City, where he continues to live.
More about Peter de Jonge...
Buried on Avenue B Interviewing for Solutions Buried on Avenue B: A Novel Die letzte Lüge: Thriller (German Edition) James Patterson Summer Omnibus: The Beach House And Beach Road