Start by marking “Shadows Still Remain” as Want to Read:
Shadows Still Remain

Shadows Still Remain (O’Hara & Krekorian #1)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  429 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Edgy, electrifying and darka riveting debut.

A Beautiful Woman, Missing

New York City, 2005. Thanksgiving weekend. A topless Kate Moss peers down from a billboard over rain-spattered Houston Street. Escaping a troubled past, Francesca Pena came to the city and reinvented herself. At New York University, her beauty and charisma are the envy of her privileged pals, yet none kn

Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows Still Remain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows Still Remain

Sara
Apr 27, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Shadows Still Remain Peter de Jonge (as in the frequent James Patterson co-author) creates O’Hara a beautiful, rash and ambitious detective. O’Hara “catches” her first murder case and is determined to work it so much so that she breaks all the rules of professionalism and police protocol. As she learns more about the victim, Franseca Pena, “the undisputed star…whose approval and messy snorts of laughter the others vie for”, each new clue only begets more questions. Out of her league and damag ...more
Boof
Jun 07, 2009 Boof rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
If you fancy wasting a few hours on an appallingly written, cliched groan-fest of a book - I have found just the one for you!

By the time I reached the bottom of the first page I had rolled my eyes several times. With sentenses like "Pena turns west at fifty-second and with long athletic strides traverses another cheerless block. She passes six-storey walk-ups, a basement dry-cleaner and another cheerless pub...." Tsk tsk! Very sloppy!!

And don't get me started on the characters: an Irish de
Patricia
May 02, 2010 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When a woman’s body is found brutally murdered in East River Park, Detective Darlene O’Hara of the Seventh Precinct rushes to the scene. Darlene has taken a missing person’s report from David McLain who states that Francesca Pena, a beautiful, promising student at NYU did not come home for Thanksgiving dinner. David planned a Thanksgiving dinner for Pena and could not understand why Pena failed to come home. Detective O’Hara feels sure that the victim is Pena. O’Hara and her partner Serge Krekor
Jul 12, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july-11
My copy of this book has a sticker claiming "as good as James Patterson or your money back" and for me it is very much like any given James Patterson (probably unsurprisingly so as Peter de Jonge has cowritten with Patteson several times.

It is an easy to read, fast paced novel. Francesca Pena goes missing from a New York bar and is later found tortured and killed. Detectives O'Hara and Krekorian find themselves with 72 hours to solve the crime before the Homicide Unit take over the case. They s
Terry
Jun 15, 2009 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
NYU co-ed Francesca Pena disappears one Thanksgiving weekend. When her horribly mutilated corpse is found, NYPD homicide digs in. Detective Darlene O'Hara is this case's maverick investigator: of course she drinks too much and is smarter than all her superiors! Short chapters, snappy dialogue, red herrings, and more--blurbed by Lehane and Patterson. I'd definitely read this author again.
Renee
Jul 23, 2009 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This mystery/thriller was well written, with original characters. Detective O'Hara is brilliant, dedicated and horribly flawed, just the way I like her. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys the unexpected and unique endings.
Perfect Summer read. Be warned, not for the youngsters.
Kathleen Hagen
Shadows Still Remain, by Peter de Jonge, B-plus. Narrated by Tina Benko, produced by Harper Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

I believe this is a debut novel and very good for a first novel. The title is a good one because even after the mystery is solved, shadows still remain as to the why of things. Darlene O’Hara is a cop who, when on duty, interviewed a man who walked into the police station and said his roommate, Francesca Pena, was missing. She had gone out the night before Thanksgiving,
Bonnie Brody
Sep 22, 2012 Bonnie Brody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Peter De Jonge's second Darlene O'Hara mytery,Buried on Avenue B: A Novel and enjoyed it so much that I decided to read the first book in the series. I was not disappointed. Shadows Still Remain is a riveting, character driven mystery with twists and turns galore. The protagonist, Darlene O'Hara is an interesting character and in this first book we get a look at her earlier life and what made her who she was in the second book of the series.

The story is about the murder of a young woman,
Betty
Aug 03, 2012 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Nancy Pearl (the uber-librarian) recommended this but when I read the jacket cover I almost returned it to the library unread. Too many cliches: hard drinking cop, beautiful girl missing, gritty NYC streets. I was down to my last mystery, so I gave it a shot and it was actually pretty good with a twist at the end that I didn't see coming (but should have). Nevertheless, I doubt that I'll seek this author out for more. There are better books and Nancy Pearl knows it, but maybe she has read them a ...more
Andrea
Jul 10, 2010 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: KT via NB&N
Really 2.5 stars. Clearly, the author is not a woman and does not have any clue as to what motivates women - so many of the victim's actions made no sense whatsoever. Same goes for the detective and even the dean of NYU. And whatever happened to the victim's geeky boyfriend?? This could have been so much better, and I'm disappointed that it wasn't.
Jeannie Niles
Jan 07, 2010 Jeannie Niles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book was just okay. I'm always looking for new authors but was disappointed in this book. Not exactly sure why I was disappointed but the writing wasn't up to par with some of the more well known writers like Kellerman, Grisham, Cornwell.
Angela
Sep 06, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadows Still Remain, by Peter De Jonge is a fast paced story about a female detective, Darlene O'Hara who is trying to make it into the Homicide Division. She catches a case involving a missing NYU student, and quickly learns that the girl is not really missing, but dead.

As O'Hara and her partner follow the clues, they also bump heads with the lead investigator on the case, Lowry. Because of their dislike for each other, O'Hara keeps information from Lowry and gets herself into all kinds of me
Ginger Weirich
Oct 02, 2015 Ginger Weirich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanksgiving Eve a young woman disappears. Where? Why? Detective O’Hare is determined to find out even if the cost is her reputation and her job. This story has more twists and turns than the switchbacks on South Mountain and is just about as nerve wracking. De Jonge is a new author for me, but I will look for more by him. While there is no indication that this offering is part of a series, I have become rather fond on Detective O’Hare and would like to meet up with her again. 4.5 stars.
Stephanie
Susan
Jun 28, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.
My only complaints:
The detailed focus on NYC neighborhoods. Normally, getting into this much detail about the neighborhoods has a pertinent outcome to the story. This just probably excited the locals who were familiar with the territory.
There were too many characters initially introduced. Again, they had no bearing on the story. (I had a hard time keeping track and started writing down the names and info about them.)
I liked the fallibility of the characters and the backstory.
Lisa
I read this one specifically to fulfill a reading challenge to read a thriller. I spent 75% of the book thinking that it was a good mystery but not the edge of your seat thriller variety. The suspense and action all happens in the last 50 pages or so. Still I enjoyed it especially how the story followed through all the loose ends and didn't just end with the capture of the killer.
Stephanie
I give this book 2 1/2 stars. Worse ending to a book I have read in a long time. It was quite the page turner but the ending defies logic. If I want a book to defy logic I will read a Fantasy or Science Fiction book. When one of the main characters goes from a saint to the worst person in the world without explanation that is unacceptable.
S R
Jan 22, 2014 S R rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of mystery/suspense kind of book but this one is surprisingly unexpected. Lots of twists. For a murder-mystery book, this one is full of cliché. It was slow paced from the start and at the middle to the end it was fast-paced, there's no rhythm in between.

(view spoiler)
Beth Schneider
I believe that I may have read this book before as there were parts of it that definitely were familiar, however, the ending was definitely a surprise for me. So, who knows? After reading thousands of books, they do tend to meld together sometimes. Anyway, I thought this was a solid book. I enjoyed the main character of the Irish-American female police detective. Though she works mainly assaults and burglaries, she stumbles into a missing person case that quickly turns into a homicide investigat ...more
Kristen M
As scummy as the story line was, I found myself liking the characters, fascinated by all things New York, and loved the graduality of the ending. It wasn't well written, but I must admit it will be memorable and was good for a few days entertainment.
Jody
May 17, 2012 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
This book was an easy read, just like Patterson. You can tell where De Jonge gets his influence because the chapters are short and it seems there are not a lot of words on the pages just like Patterson and any other book I could pull off of my little girl's bookshelf. It was a good mystery in that you don't see the end coming but the characters could have had more depth to them. I would suggest reading this if you need something to fill your lunch breaks at work but this is not one of those nove ...more
dmsburns
Aug 15, 2014 dmsburns rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, own
Audio book was ok seemed like the author made a big point of the lead characters drinking even though it really was not related to the story. Ending was a nice twist. Not sure if I would read this author again
Julie
Sep 20, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had difficulty getting through this book. It's a fairly short book, but it took me 6 days to read it. I didn't connect with Detective O'Hara - she wasn't a very likeable character. The plot had potential but something was just lacking.
April
Aug 26, 2014 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the first I've read by him. I really liked it. if I were a detective, I think I'd obsessively need to know the "why" too. I will definitely be a repeat customer. :)
John Bradford
May 24, 2015 John Bradford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enteraining read. Like the flawed protagonist. Not the caliber of Sue Grafton's books, but this is his first. I will read his others.
Kenny Baxter
I found this book hard to follow at times but overall very enjoyable and a good plot line.

Typechecker
Aug 01, 2015 Typechecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good old whodunnit.
Tempie
Jul 16, 2014 Tempie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*** 1 1/2 stars***
Mandie Kok
Jan 14, 2013 Mandie Kok rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: holiday-goers with nothing else to read
I found this book rather dull. I was one fifth through before a body was found. There are a lot of descriptions of the city and a lot of character history.

When I read romance or crime novels, I expect formula. I like formula. It's reassuring. So when a crime novel takes its time to deliver a body and tells me about the detective's high school years, I get bored.

The murder plot was suitably disturbing and the second half of the book perked up enough to get three stars from me.
Andrew Neal
I read the second book (Buried in Avenue B) first, and it suffered from a few problems that this book didn't have. This one was much stronger and more focused. I was impressed with author's ability to keep pouring more and more strangeness into the plot without crowding out the basic mystery.

I wouldn't recommend this one for people who don't like horrible, twisted characters and events in their fiction. It's messed up. I was actually surprised at some of the awfulness.
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Of Blood and Sorrow (Tamara Hayle, #8)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • The Second Death Of Goodluck Tinubu (Detective Kubu, #2)
  • Deceit
  • Black Monday
  • Seduction
  • Undertow (David Cavanaugh, #1)
  • Rapid Descent
  • Black Ice
  • Taken
  • The Rules of Silence
  • Twice Buried
Peter de Jonge is the co-author, with James Patterson, of three bestselling novels, including the Number 1 New York Times bestsellers Beach Road and The Beach House. He has written for a variety of publications including National Geographic, New York Magazine and Harper’s Bazaar. He was born in New York City, where he continues to live.
More about Peter de Jonge...

O’Hara & Krekorian (2 books)
  • Buried on Avenue B