Forgiving the Dead Man Walking: Only One Woman Can Tell the Entire Story

Forgiving the Dead Man Walking: Only One Woman Can Tell the Entire Story

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A true, first-person account by the victim who survived the crimes committed by the rapist and killer made famous in the movie Dead Man Walking. Debbie Morris takes readers beyond the story of those crimes and into the journey of her faith as she wrestles with the question all of us face at some poi
Published August 13th 2000 by Zondervan (first published September 1st 1998)

The Real Book of the Dead by Collette SinclaireMessages From Heaven by Collette SinclaireInterviews With the Dead, Part 1 by Collette SinclaireEmbraced By The Light by Betty J. EadieJoni and Ken by Ken Tada
Great Inspirational Reads
18th out of 39 books — 29 voters
The Green Mile by Stephen KingDifferent Seasons by Stephen KingThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasPapillon by Henri CharrièreThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
Prison Books
195th out of 221 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

Kris
Most everyone has heard about the movie Dead Man Walking starring Susan Sarrandon and Sean Penn. You may have even heard of the book, by the same name, it was based on which was written by Sister Helen Prejean. What you may not have heard about is Debbie Morris' book, Forgiving the Dead Man Walking. Morris is one of his victims who not only lives to tell her story, but tries to find forgiveness so that she can no longer be called a victim.

I read this book after watching the movie and reading Si...more
Mandy
I'm not sure how anyone could rate this book lower than 5 stars. It is simply the true account of a victim of a horrible crime and her road to forgiveness and healing. No plot to pick apart, or under-developed characters. The writing was simplistic, as some reviewers criticized, but to me that makes her more real, more normal, which led me to associate more and sympathize more and get more from her story.

This account was very powerful. It's easy to sympathize with victims of horrible crimes, for...more
David
This is a true story that everyone should read. Written simply and clearly Debbie Morris details her horrible trauma at the hands of a pair of rapists and killers.

The book describes her path since the abduction, leading to being able to forgive her captors. It was a long and difficult path, but one that I think we can all learn from. It was only after she was able to come to the position of being able to forgive that she could recover and move on from the ordeal. The refusal to forgive and desir...more
booklady
The first part of Forgiving the Dead Man Walking: Only One Woman Can Tell the Entire Story is about Debbie’s experience as the victim of a violent crime. But as the title indicates, this is a book about forgiveness. I learned about it in a seminar I attended for work in preparation for the liturgical season of Lent.

I read Debbie’s book in two very short evenings and highly recommend it, whether or not you’ve read Helen Prejean's book, Dead Man Walking, which I had not. Personally I was glad I h...more
Sandy
I was only 9 yrs. old when this happened but I can still remember my parents talking about it. We lived about 20 miles from Frikes Cave, the place where Faith Holloway was killed and Debbie was taken to during that weekend. We used to leave our doors unlocked back then. When this happened it was the worst. Thing in our town that anyone could remember. We started locking doors and windows and I had to be back home before dark.

Where Frickes Cave was is now the Bogue Chitto State Park. I walked dow...more
Linda
Sister Helen Prejean’s book, “Dead Man Walking” doesn’t mention Debbie Morris; it focuses instead on Sister Helen’s relationship as spiritual advisor to Robert Willie, a death row inmate in Louisiana. Debbie, however, was one of Willie’s victims, and here she tells the story of her ordeal and escape from Willie, and her testimony which helped send Willie to death row. Morris spoke at our church recently. Her path to forgiveness was not quick or easy. She managed to finish high school, and starte...more
Carla
This was the true story of one of the victims of Robert Lee Willie, who was portrayed by Sean Penn in the movie "Dead Man Walking". I was able to hear Debbie Morris speak in person about her experiences during and after her abuction and assault, and I must say her message was the most inspiring and unforgettable I've ever had. Her honesty about her spiritual and emotional struggles and her journey to forgive her attackers is awe inspiring. Give this book a chance, I think you'll find it a blessi...more
Beth Withers
Morris tells her true story of being kidnapped and raped when she was 16, in Louisiana in 1978. One of her kidnappers was executed for his crimes in 1984, and this is her story of the incident and the road to forgiveness. The Sean Penn character in the movie Dead Man Walking was a composite of Morris's kidnapper and another man ministered to by Sister Helen Prejean, played by Susan Sarandon in the movie. Morris has a powerful message about the healing power of forgiveness.

Woody Sanderson
A tremendously impactful book about the power of forgiveness. I read it a few years ago and thought of it again when I recently read Picking Cotton which artfully explores the same themes from a very different perspective. The message of both books is unmistakable: one who is done a great wrong can only suffer more by hanging onto the hurt and the hate. It is only through forgiveness that recovery and redemption can be found.
Melva
It's a true account of a victim who survived rape and being kidnapped by two escaped convicts who had just killed another girl. She talks about the challenge of her Christian faith and how abuse can affect one's psyche and how you can keep it inside, to a degree.
I'd like to have seen more depth in the book, but this is just a woman, a victim and not a professional writer. I did like the end - her honesty stood out.
Bill Snyder
Debbie Morris in her book Forgiving the Dead Man Walking, demonstrates a powerful path to healing and forgiveness. This autobiography helped me reflect on the reality of forgiveness, and how anger and shame inhibit the ability to forgiveness. She brings the reader from the depths of her despair to her reconciliation with Sr. Helen Prejean. Again this book is on the top of my list!
Lena Jo
This may be a hard book to find. I've bought tons of these as gifts. The true story behind Dead Man Walking. An incredible journey of faith by the woman who survived the crimes committed by the rapist and killer made famous in the movie Dead Man Walking. Is there any crime, any hurt, any person beyond the power of forgiveness? An incredible story.
Debbie
This is my friend Debbie. I didn't know her story until about a year after we met -she just began to share it when she found out about the movie Dead Man Walking and was contacted and asked to tell her story. Very disturbing for me because it is painful to think of what she went through. What an incredible person she is!
This is one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read. It is a profound account of a woman's battle with forgiveness as it intersects with capital punishment and the profound effect these have on her and those around her. This book will challenge you and get you thinking.
Tracy Legrand
I read this book many years after reading Dead Man Walking, but it was really interesting to hear the perspective of a survivor. The writing style is sometimes awkward, but I appreciated Debbie's honesty about her struggles in coming to terms with her life after the attack.
Yolanda
Debbie Morris tells her story of surviving a violent crime and the power of forgiveness. It was quite a journey, well told and easy to read. She forgave people to heal herself and explains that does not justify wrong doings, it allows her to live a fuller life.
Jim Burroway
Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- can write about forgiveness than her. An amazing story. I read it perhaps ten years ago (?) when it first came out, and it is still my reference point on what forgiveness really means. It's not what you think.
Pete Bartel
Very good autobiography of one of the survivors from the real-life story behind Dead Man Walking. Shows her journey through life afterwards and how she came to a position of forgiveness. Good insights into coping with an awful situation.
Felicity
Jan 24, 2010 Felicity rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Felicity by: My Mum.
This is a great book, but often it is easy to lose interest, particularly as she talks about her life following the kidnapping. It starts off quite fast-paced but eventually it tapers off and it is difficult to persevere.
Kyle
I read this book BEFORE I read Dead Man Walking. I think she does a very good job of giving a voice to the victims of murderers.
Wendy
beautiful story about forgiveness....it is clear on how we are all called to respond.
Marie
Very inspiring
Dee Tozer
Dee Tozer marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
The Blessed Woman: Learning About Grace from the Women of the Bible The Blessed Woman - A Timeless Journey with Women of the Bible Living Rightside Up: Flipping the Script of Your Story Una Mujer de Bendicion: Aprenda Acerca de La Gracia Por Las Mujeres de La Biblia The Blessed Woman: Learning about Grace from the Women of the Bible