Start by marking “Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  167,936 Ratings  ·  17,801 Reviews
"You can't touch me," I whisper. I'm lying, is what I don't tell him. He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him. But things happen when people touch me. Strange things. Bad things.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.

But Juliette has plans of her own.

After a lifetime without freedom, she's fi
Kindle Edition, with Audio/Video, 368 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Shatter Me, please sign up.

Deanna Absalom It depends on what you are looking for in a book. Are you looking for a romance with dystopian elements? Then it is alright. Are you looking for a…moreIt depends on what you are looking for in a book. Are you looking for a romance with dystopian elements? Then it is alright. Are you looking for a fast paced adventure with a dystopia as the setting? Then no. But this is just my opinion.(less)
Megan I too LOVED this series and if you have a similar taste in books I recon you’d really like the ‘Throne of Glass series’. I have no words to describe…moreI too LOVED this series and if you have a similar taste in books I recon you’d really like the ‘Throne of Glass series’. I have no words to describe my undying love for this series so you must READ IT…no pressure :)(less)

Emily May

This is not a dystopia, it is a romance. This is not a novel, it is a collection of similes and metaphors, most of which do not make sense. I originally gave Shatter Me two stars because that's my sort of kneejerk reaction to books I don't like, but after thinking it over for a while, I can't recall anything positive about it that would justify a rating of more than one star.

You're probably assuming - correctly - that I went into this book with low expectations. This is completely true. Any so-
Marg K.
Jun 30, 2015 Marg K. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star-rating
WARNING: The proceeding review contains some necessary & unavoidable spoilers. It also contains my honest uncensored thoughts, feelings, and opinions. I don't bite my tongue, and I really did not like this book. So, if you can't handle any of that, then I suggest you move along.

Alrighty, let's begin.

First off, I honestly did not think anyone could outrank Divergent's Tris on my Most Annoying and Unlikable YA Heroines of the Year list. I was wrong. Very, very wrong. Juliette from The Emo Dia
Haleema
Oh, friend. Recommend me a book that is good. Something that does not treat its sentences like they're handicapped, something that is not oversaturated with painful, utterly nonsensical metaphors, something that does not contain a useless, befuddled pool of roses disguised as a heroine, and something that will not flip my brain upside down.
description

ERMAHGERD READ SHATTER ME!

The writing:
Mafi's style of writing varies. Let me categorize.

The who-do-think-you-are-writing-things-like-that writing:

"I catch the
Rachel E. Carter
Just heard this ebook is on sale right now for $1.99 (http://amzn.to/1OmhiUu), ohmygosh I can't rec this book enough, take the risk, you'll either love or hate it but it's worth it!!!!!!!!!!!

In case y'all didn't know, not only was this book optioned by Warner Bros as a movie, it has now been optioned as a TV SHOW BY ABC STUDIOS -with Tahereh as a producer.

description

This better happen. I am not joking. I am tired of great books (cough, cough: The Song of the Lioness Quartet and The Dust Lands Trilogy: Blo
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Juliette describing Adam’s eyes

“...perfect shade of cobalt, blue like a blossoming bruise, clear and deep and decided”

“…careful, curious”

“… 2 buckets of rainwater; deep, fresh, clear”

“…blue and bottomless like the deepest part of the ocean”

“…tight”

“…as tight as his fists as tight as the strain in his arms”

“…bottomless blue”

“…blue blue blue”

“…midnight moment filled with memories, the only windows into my world”

“… always shining the darkness”

“…two pools of perfection, open, honest, humble”

“…a sha
Kat Kennedy
Shatter Me, otherwise known as: When Creative Writing Class Goes Wrong.

I am all for experimental writing, for stretching your abilities and trying to find fresh ways to express ideas. Occasionally you end up with genius, but most of the time you result in pretentious, awkward prose that stick in the proverbial craw of readers. This book is that writing. There are plenty of examples that I can give as evidence – but I shall stick with two relatively short ones:

“His eyes scan the silhouette of my
The Holy Terror
I always wonder about raindrops.
I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It’s like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn’t seem to care where the contents fall, doesn’t seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap
Kiki
This book was just awful.

Awful.

There is no other way to describe this book, but awful.

When I was about eleven or twelve, before we had the Great Garage Sale of the Noughties, my sister used to always sit me down and force me to watch this terrible movie called All She Ever Wanted. I watched that shit about seven times, and I got so abhorrently sick of it that eventually I hid it.

The DVD rack hit a status quo. All were happy. Until one day a neighbor took the first strike in the Great Garage Sale
Steph Sinclair
“I always wonder about raindrops.

I wonder about how they're always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It's like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to ta
Lauren DeStefano
Jun 23, 2011 Lauren DeStefano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The people. All of the people.
Each time I picked this up, I drew the curtain and turned on a lamp. In broad daylight. Because when I was reading this book, I didn’t want to know anything about there being a silly real world on the other side of my window. I wanted to get as deep into this dreary, atmospheric place as I could. I wanted it to be real, instead of the sunny afternoon and bright green leaves and flying birds outside. I wanted concrete walls and crossed-out thoughts, and creepy soldiers moving in tandem.

I read thi
shady boots
By the way, check out this fan made poster for the movie, if there ever was one.

Made by skellingt0n on deviantART.

I looove it! Exactly how I would picture a movie poster for this book.

_________________

I read this book in one sitting.

For five hours, I read this. It was a school night and I stayed up all night. That's how much this book pulled me.

I know that there are many people who didn't like this book, some even hate it, but... Gah, it was just so awesome to me! It's definitely one of those bo
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Okay, I feel a little bit bad giving this book a one-star review, for several reasons:

a) I won it from a blog giveaway. And at the time I entered the giveaway, I really wanted to read it because I thought the premise sounded pretty neat. Now I know I probably should have just not entered, and perhaps someone else would have won it and enjoyed it more than I did. But, oh well.

b) The author is only 24, so she's probably still got a lot to learn.

c) The author is also Muslim, and apparently a lot of
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
[image error]

How awesome was this book? Well,I am going to tell you. Pretty darn awesome!

I am not very good at convincing people to read the books I loved so I am going to write this review without any pressure.

Here are some arguments:

1. if you are (like myself) a fan of X-Men,you will love it,or else...

2. If you are (like myself) a fan of strong and smart leading character like Juliet,you will love it.

3. If you are (like myself) a fan of totally shagable and caring guy like Adam,you will
Whitney Atkinson
Aug 27, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
8/27/15: I'm not quite sure why i've never uploaded a review on goodreads for this book. I mean, I feel like it kind of goes without saying how I feel about it but ya know. This is my favorite series. If you're sick of dystopian and never want to read one ever again, make an exception for this one. Ignore the fact that the entire fandom (and myself) have probably majorly spoiled you. But this book. Holy shit. The writing. YES. The characters. YES. The plot. YES. The range of emotions. YES. I cou ...more
Etnik
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

This was something...and I liked it.

description

Okay so the first 200 pages were like the dullest,cheesiest romance bullshit,like the level of cheesiness was above normal,and you know how I feel about that.I sometimes thought to quit,but god,I am glad I didn't.You know when you loose all the hope but then one things clings and you see the light again? Omega Point was that for me.Like my thoughts about this book changed 100 percent.There are 3

Megs ♥
Didn't finish. I simply stopped reading this book today, and it wasn't because it was boring or anything like that. I just did not care for Mafi's writing style. The over use of metaphors and strikeout tools caused a constant distraction, and the book was just not interesting enough for me to want to struggle through something that annoyed me so much.

The book (well what I got to, anyway) read like a super annoying IM by a 12 year old girl that just learned what a metaphor is. Do we REALLY need
Sofii♡

My touch Is lethal.
MY TOUCH IS POWER.
I am their weapon.
I WILL FIGHT BACK.”

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this!.

description

Like many I had said, yes , I finished attached to the characters !. From Adam to Juliette and Warner they are all very good characters with very well-defined personalities.
But my heart has been with Warner from the beginning and I need to know more about him RIGHT NOW ! Omg is so interesting!

The plot is very interesting
Jillian -always aspiring-
(Note: Goodreads friends and followers, you know me by now. You know that, even as much as I love a book, my reviews aren't always a resounding, "Oh my goodness, you need to READ THIS NOW! YOUR LIFE WILL BE SO MUCH FULLER BECAUSE OF IT!" I'm not that naive or arrogant to think that the books I love will be the books you love. Instead, my reviews are...chronicles of the experiences I had with books, and if that can help you decide whether certain books will be for you or not, then I'll be all the ...more
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
UPDATE: I stand up slowly, suddenly shaking with anger, hoping my legs won't collapse beneath me. "You think that because I am unwanted - because I am neglected and - and discarded -" My voice inches higher with every word, the unrestrained emotions suddenly screaming through my lungs. "You think I don't have a heart? You think I don't feel? You think that because I can inflict pain, that I should? You're just like everyone else. You think I'm a monster just like everyone else. You don't underst
I am Bastet
This book is pretty darn bad. This book is pretty darn bad.

Oh, darn, did I miss the point of the strikethroughs?
tonya.
~Spoiler-free~

SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi is the story of Juliette, a seventeen year old girl who has been imprisoned for a dangerous and powerful ability she cannot control. She’s neither seen nor spoken—nor touched—another human being in 264 days; the only indications that she is not absolutely alone are the soldiers marching outside her tiny window and the screams the rend the night through thick concrete walls… neither of which are comforting. Her only outlets are the ragged notebook she kee
Jessica Olson
The only reason I gave this book 4 and not 5 stars is because I really dislike Adam and Juliette as a couple.
Mariah of the Night Court
*3.5*

THIS WASN'T AMAZING, BUT IT WASN'T BAD EITHER

***Contains Spoilers***

The reason why I started Shatter Me was because of this mysterious Warner guy I kept hearing about. A lot of you guys have recommended this to me because you know I have a huge thing for antihero/villain love interests, and in this case, Warner is (I'll get to him soon).

description

Thank you to my Goodreads friends who recommended this to me, because even though I gave this 3.5 stars, I still really enjoyed it and look forward to star
Kristi
Dec 31, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely incredible. Shatter Me is a novel that I will not soon forget.

What makes this novel so unforgettable. If I had to pick one thing it would be Mafi’s writing. Her depiction of Juliette’s voice is utterly captivating. There was one question that I battled with this entire novel and it’s the same one that Juliette asks herself. Who is she? To be in the mind of a character like that was absolutely shattering! (Pun intended.)

This novel has a bit of everything. I wouldn’t necessarily describ
MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov
Title: Shatter Me
By:Tahereh Mafi

My Rating:5/5

REVIEW: This book is something so powerful it had me intrigued by the first sentence. i finished this book in a day which is rare on my part lol(slow reader) I loved everything about this book, even though it is rather similar to X-men and the character Rouge. Juliette was placed in an asylum after an incident that occurred and ended with the death of a child. juliette hasn't been touched in over 265 days until she meets Adam, a familiar face that end
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
description

I only know now that the scientists are wrong.
The world is flat.
I know because I was tossed right off the edge and I’ve been trying to hold on for 17 years. I’ve been trying to climb back up for 17 years but it’s nearly impossible to beat gravity when no one is willing to give you a hand.
When no one wants to risk touching you.

Blurb: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why J
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
His touch is scorching my skin through the layers of fabric and I inhale so fast my lungs collapse. I’m caught in colliding currents of confusion, so desperate so desperate so desperate to be close so desperate to be far away. I don’t know how to move away from him. I don’t want to move away from him.
I don’t want him to be afraid of me.

Seventeen-year-old Juliette Ferrars has spent the last three years imprisoned. Because of her unique ability to kill a person with a single touch, The Reestabl
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Juliette has the power to drain people's lives with one single touch. (Think Rogue in the first X-Men movie.) She's not one to be submissive when the handsome blonde-haired, green-eyed Warner captures her and tries to use her as an experiment. He's the evil, oh-so sexy Captain that Juliette detests, and yet is attracted to, at the same time. As you keep reading, ther
Christine Riccio
Jun 26, 2013 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing style intrigued me and although at times I was irritated with Juliette, I couldn't help but enjoy this book! I flew right threw it in two days! Here's my booktalk with all my thoughts and musings: http://youtu.be/Ihe6hYaUTRA =D
Haya
Nov 17, 2011 Haya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fools
Recommended to Haya by: The hype machine
Shatter Me is only beautifully written if you think the following is beautiful writing:

“Summer is like a slow-cooker bringing everything in the world to a boil one degree at a time. It promises a million happy adjectives only to pour stench and sewage into your nose for dinner.”

“Hate looks just like everybody else until it smiles. Until it spins around and lies with lips and teeth carved into the semblance of something too passive to punch.”

“His eyes are tight, his forehead pinched, his lips his
  • Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • The Pledge (The Pledge, #1)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Mystic City (Mystic City, #1)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • Altered (Altered, #1)
  • Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1)
  • Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)
  • Fracture (Fracture, #1)
  • Eve (Eve, #1)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Breathe (Breathe, #1)
She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Santa Monica, California, where she drinks too much caffeine and finds the weather to be just a little too perfect for her taste.
When unable to find a book, she can be found reading candy wrappers, coupons, and old receipts.
More about Tahereh Mafi...

Shatter Me (3 books)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)

28 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
5050 likes
“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.” 3580 likes