Start by marking “Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)” as Want to Read:
Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)

Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)

Katie visits five paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin and Cezanne!
Published July 1st 2007 by Orchard, (first published February 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Katie and the Sunflowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie and the Sunflowers

Kurtlu
Apr 05, 2016 Kurtlu rated it it was amazing
hem eğlenceli hem öğretici tanımlaması bu seri için rahatça kullanılabilir. ilk okumuş olduğumuz "yıldızlı gece"deki tabloları bu kitabın içinde de fark edince oğlumun: "anne bak, van go'nun iskemlesi, bak bu da yıldızlı gece..." diye tanıtıma başlaması çok hoşuma gitti. o yaşta ben van gogh'tan da resimlerinden de bihaberdim. ayrıca kitabı okur okumaz beyefendinin, aynı yıldızlı gece'de yaptığımız gibi, bir röprodüksiyon isteğinde bulunması kitabın ne kadar amacına uygun olduğunu bir kez daha g ...more
Kitty
Jan 03, 2015 Kitty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Katie and the Sunflowers written by James Mahew brings impressionist paintings to life...quite literally!

Several of the famous paintings are incorporated into the story and their most famous works...Van Gough's 'Sunflowers' and 'Cafe Terrace at Night', Gaugin's 'Breton Girls Dancing' and 'Tahitian Pastorals' and Cezanne's 'Apples and Oranges'.

As always, Grandma provides the vehicle for the adventure. This time is a trip to the gallery. Much to Katie's delight, the paintings come to life! she ma
Laia
Nov 03, 2015 Laia rated it it was amazing
My 10 y.o. boy really enjoyed reading this together with me. It might have helped that we had just watched a Doctor Who episode about Vincent Van Gogh, and previously seen a Museum exhibit of Paul Gauguin's work (which he only vaguely remembered.)

But even without that, the story is fun, and the last page, giving context about the three "Post-Impressionists" featured (Paul Cezanne being the third), told a good (non-fiction) story in itself.

When rain chases Katie and her Grandmother out of the g
현순 최
Mar 26, 2014 현순 최 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This book describes about impressionist paintings at gallery. Katie and her grandma went to art gallery. During her grandma sit down to rest, Katie looks around many artists' works. It's very impressive and gorgeous! when she reaches out in the frame of painting, it begins to live. All paintings tell the story which contains painter's own idea in their works. There are the most famous artists in the world in this book. Such as Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh, Breton Girls Dancing by Paul Gauguin, ...more
Eve
Aug 01, 2013 Eve rated it liked it
Shelves: mariam
The big selling point of this book is the exposure young readers will get to some of the world's most familiar paintings. However, the story, while appropriately madcap, ends abruptly and without the logical and satisfying conclusion I'd predicted. I even thought a page must've been missing because of the screeching suddenness of the ending. My five-year-old daughter didn't think the sunflowers of the title looked realistic enough, but that's more an issue for Van Gogh than for James Mayhew. Eve ...more
Alexandra Mickey
I really enjoyed the art facts and material that were incorporated in this book. I feel like this book would be a wonderful way to incorporate art and fine art curriculum standards in a fun way. This book will allow for future creativity and encourage the students to think outside the box. Each page seems to come to life and allow the student to feel like they are viewing art from a different point of view.
Whole And
Explore the worlds of van Gogh, Gaugin and Cezanne through this museum adventure.
Paintings come alive creating chaos through the paintings and their worlds right in the museum while Katie's grandmother sleeps! Fun, nourishing, visually stimulating and informative, this book will delight everyone.

We used this book as an artist in focus paint session and to study impression and post impression periods.

Brilliant resource, absolutely loved it how engaging this book is.
Carolyn
Jun 14, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I recently discovered this series and so wish I had had it when I was a kid. I was (and still am) so intrigued by art, especially impressionism and post-impressionism, and would have delighted in Katie's adventures in the museum. Once again, Katie finds herself diving into paintings and having a major adventure through some seriously famous paintings. I really enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend to anyone who is/was/knows a budding art fan.
Turrean
A gentle, imaginative story about a little girl who interacts with the objects and people in several famous paintings. My students enjoyed reading this as a follow-up to the beautiful Vincent's Colors.
The Brothers
Feb 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Another adventure of Katie at the museum. She jumps in and out of post-impressionist paintings ranging from van Gogh to Cezanne.

Of course because it's about art, the illustrations are quite captivating. It's very fun to see such famous works of art come to life and dash about the museum.
Library
Feb 27, 2015 Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An adorable art adventure! Katie jumps in and out of the museum paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Cezanne. Katie's interactions with the paintings bring them to life... literally... as she interacts with their characters. At the end, information is provided about each of the post impressionist painters.
Ali Hembree
Apr 20, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, imagination, art
In this book, Katie is in a museum and she is able to jump into famous portraits and take a new adventure. This would be a great book to read to the class to get them to use their imagination and connect to art. I would have them choose a piece of art and write a story of them in the setting of the picture.
Courtney
Oct 08, 2009 Courtney added it
Recommends it for: art teachers, art enthusiasts
Story of a little girl that enters into famous paintings at the museum. Great for art teachers and art lovers.I am personally drawn to any book about art. What I like about this book is that the story reminds me of my own experience with art. Great art drawns me into the painting. This happens literally in this book. I would love to do a cross-curricular activity with our art teachers.
Liliana
Apr 21, 2010 Liliana rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books, art
In this story, a little girl goes to a museum and uses her imaginations to become part of the paintings. She becomes friends with everyone in the paintings. While she is their she has an accident, and has her friends help her. Great story to read to children and promote children to use their imagination.
Jo
Feb 22, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful adventure in a museum. When it's raining too hard for Katie and her Grandma to plant seeds in the garden, they head to the museum where Katie discovers she can go in and out of the paintings. A fun adventure ensues, featuring the art of post impressionists like Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Gauguin and Paul Cézanne. Loved the illustrations!
Anna
Jun 27, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it
Katie goes the museum and knocks over the vase in Vincent Van Gogh's Sunflowers, she then travels through other paintings trying to make things right again.

This is a wonderful book; a lovely way to introduce children to famous works of art and get them to think creatively about people and places inside of paintings.

Ages: 5-8
Shelli
Feb 21, 2016 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Readers are able to join Katie as she steps through and interacts with several Post-impressionist paintings at the museum; usually in a clumsy sort of destructive way. This is a fantastic way to expose kiddos to beautiful art and think about experiencing it in an entirely new way. Magical
Karen Dransfield
May 31, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I do love the Katie series. A great way to introduce famous artists and their works using a fun story about Katie who can step into the paintings and the adventures she has.
I was looking for sunflower stories as part of an art class. I used this book to show Van Gogh's Sunflower painting.
Christine Turner
Apr 29, 2010 Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-arts, fine-art
While visiting the art museum, Katie has an adventure stepping in and out of five paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Cezanne. Includes information about Post-impressionism and the particular paintings and artists in the story.
Heather
Oct 21, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
Both kids enjoyed this book. This is a great way to introduce the names of artists and some of their most famous work. They will be sure to remember who painted the Sunflowers the next time they see a picture of it. :)
Jenni
Mar 28, 2009 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Emily and I loved the Katie books by James Mayhew. Each book is about Katie and her grandmother's visits to the art museum. Each time Grandmother falls asleep and Katie explores the painting, up close. It is a wonderful way to introduce young children to fine art.
Garren
May 25, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Don't tell kids how education this romp through three painters' works might seem to adults. It holds it's own as a mischief and resolution tale.
Shelly
Nov 14, 2016 Shelly rated it it was amazing
Another adventure with Katie in the museum. This time Katie visits paintings by Cezanne, Gaugin, and Van Gogh.
Christie Suh
Apr 26, 2010 Christie Suh rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
About a little girl named Katie who likes to visit museums. She uses her imagination to let herself become a part of the paintings.
Linda Costello
Mar 12, 2010 Linda Costello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-arts
In this book Katie goes to the art meuseum. The paintings come to life as Katie Knocks over the vase in Van Gogh's Sunflowers and plays with the young girls in Gauguin's Breton Girls Dancing.
Saviour
Oct 12, 2012 Saviour rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, 2012
This is an awesome book, with a good story and pictures you just want to climb into. My godson loves it.
Melissa Nastja
Apr 21, 2010 Melissa Nastja rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
A little girl who likes to visit museums. While there, Katie uses her imagination to let herself become a part of the painting.. The people in the art work become her friends.
Karen
Jun 23, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Great for introducing your kids to several famous works of art, while encouraging their imaginations!
Alisha
May 21, 2010 Alisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
James Mayhew is AMAZING! officially my favorite author and illustrator. BEST EVER way to introduce children to paintings and fun imaginations and art being whatever you want!
Paulah Heuschkel
Paulah Heuschkel rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting
  • Museum ABC
  • Rose's Garden
  • Raising Dragons
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
Born in Stamford, Lincolnshire in1964, James Mayhew grew up in the Dickensian village of Blundeston in Suffolk. After completing a Foundation Course at Lowestoft College, he studied illustration at Maidstone College of Art, graduating in 1987 with First Class honours. His first book for children was Katie's Pictures Show, (Orchard Books 1989) establishing the long running series about a child's ad ...more
More about James Mayhew...

Katie (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Katie and the Spanish Princess
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • Katie's Sunday Afternoon
  • Katie and the Dinosaurs
  • Katie in London
  • Katie's Picture Show
  • Katie and the Waterlily Pond: A Magical Journey Through Five Monet Masterpieces
  • Katie and the British Artists