Start by marking “Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)” as Want to Read:
Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)

Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Katie visits five paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin and Cezanne!
Published July 1st 2007 by Orchard, (first published February 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Katie and the Sunflowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie and the Sunflowers

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsIsh by Peter H. ReynoldsMouse Paint by Ellen Stoll WalshArt & Max by David Wiesner
Children Books About Art
31st out of 88 books — 83 voters
Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina BjörkYou Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanYou Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanThe Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau by Michelle MarkelMatisse by Laurence Anholt
Picture Books About Museums
34th out of 47 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kitty
Katie and the Sunflowers written by James Mahew brings impressionist paintings to life...quite literally!

Several of the famous paintings are incorporated into the story and their most famous works...Van Gough's 'Sunflowers' and 'Cafe Terrace at Night', Gaugin's 'Breton Girls Dancing' and 'Tahitian Pastorals' and Cezanne's 'Apples and Oranges'.

As always, Grandma provides the vehicle for the adventure. This time is a trip to the gallery. Much to Katie's delight, the paintings come to life! she ma
현순 최
This book describes about impressionist paintings at gallery. Katie and her grandma went to art gallery. During her grandma sit down to rest, Katie looks around many artists' works. It's very impressive and gorgeous! when she reaches out in the frame of painting, it begins to live. All paintings tell the story which contains painter's own idea in their works. There are the most famous artists in the world in this book. Such as Sunflowers by Vincent Van Gogh, Breton Girls Dancing by Paul Gauguin, ...more
Eve
Aug 01, 2013 Eve rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mariam
The big selling point of this book is the exposure young readers will get to some of the world's most familiar paintings. However, the story, while appropriately madcap, ends abruptly and without the logical and satisfying conclusion I'd predicted. I even thought a page must've been missing because of the screeching suddenness of the ending. My five-year-old daughter didn't think the sunflowers of the title looked realistic enough, but that's more an issue for Van Gogh than for James Mayhew. Eve ...more
Alexandra Mickey
I really enjoyed the art facts and material that were incorporated in this book. I feel like this book would be a wonderful way to incorporate art and fine art curriculum standards in a fun way. This book will allow for future creativity and encourage the students to think outside the box. Each page seems to come to life and allow the student to feel like they are viewing art from a different point of view.
Courtney
Oct 08, 2009 Courtney added it
Recommends it for: art teachers, art enthusiasts
Story of a little girl that enters into famous paintings at the museum. Great for art teachers and art lovers.I am personally drawn to any book about art. What I like about this book is that the story reminds me of my own experience with art. Great art drawns me into the painting. This happens literally in this book. I would love to do a cross-curricular activity with our art teachers.
Jo
A wonderful adventure in a museum. When it's raining too hard for Katie and her Grandma to plant seeds in the garden, they head to the museum where Katie discovers she can go in and out of the paintings. A fun adventure ensues, featuring the art of post impressionists like Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Gauguin and Paul Cézanne. Loved the illustrations!
Anna
Katie goes the museum and knocks over the vase in Vincent Van Gogh's Sunflowers, she then travels through other paintings trying to make things right again.

This is a wonderful book; a lovely way to introduce children to famous works of art and get them to think creatively about people and places inside of paintings.

Ages: 5-8
Turrean
A gentle, imaginative story about a little girl who interacts with the objects and people in several famous paintings. My students enjoyed reading this as a follow-up to the beautiful Vincent's Colors.
Ali Hembree
In this book, Katie is in a museum and she is able to jump into famous portraits and take a new adventure. This would be a great book to read to the class to get them to use their imagination and connect to art. I would have them choose a piece of art and write a story of them in the setting of the picture.
Liliana
In this story, a little girl goes to a museum and uses her imaginations to become part of the paintings. She becomes friends with everyone in the paintings. While she is their she has an accident, and has her friends help her. Great story to read to children and promote children to use their imagination.
Jenni
Emily and I loved the Katie books by James Mayhew. Each book is about Katie and her grandmother's visits to the art museum. Each time Grandmother falls asleep and Katie explores the painting, up close. It is a wonderful way to introduce young children to fine art.
Christine Turner
While visiting the art museum, Katie has an adventure stepping in and out of five paintings by Van Gogh, Gauguin, and Cezanne. Includes information about Post-impressionism and the particular paintings and artists in the story.
Linda Costello
In this book Katie goes to the art meuseum. The paintings come to life as Katie Knocks over the vase in Van Gogh's Sunflowers and plays with the young girls in Gauguin's Breton Girls Dancing.
Alisha
James Mayhew is AMAZING! officially my favorite author and illustrator. BEST EVER way to introduce children to paintings and fun imaginations and art being whatever you want!
Melissa Nastja
A little girl who likes to visit museums. While there, Katie uses her imagination to let herself become a part of the painting.. The people in the art work become her friends.
Christie Suh
About a little girl named Katie who likes to visit museums. She uses her imagination to let herself become a part of the paintings.
Karen
Great for introducing your kids to several famous works of art, while encouraging their imaginations!
Saviour
This is an awesome book, with a good story and pictures you just want to climb into. My godson loves it.
Tim
Another good Katie book. A whirlwind adventure through some Van Gogh and Gauguin paintings.
Andrea
This is a very creative book about paintings in a museum, we love it!!
Lee Huntington
Beautiful artwork, story was fun but seemed a bit contrived.
Gayatri
Very good introduction to art for kids.
Barbara
great fun intro to art, color, & fun.
Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀
Jul 15, 2012 Cynthia ☮ ❤ ❀ marked it as to-read
Review to come...
Emma
Emma added it
Jan 22, 2015
Mariia
Mariia marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Iman Al ajbari
Iman Al ajbari marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • Vincent's Colors
  • Raising Dragons
  • Museum ABC
  • A Day with No Crayons
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden
  • Andy and the Lion
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • Chicken Soup
  • Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book
Born in Stamford, Lincolnshire in1964, James Mayhew grew up in the Dickensian village of Blundeston in Suffolk. After completing a Foundation Course at Lowestoft College, he studied illustration at Maidstone College of Art, graduating in 1987 with First Class honours. His first book for children was Katie's Pictures Show, (Orchard Books 1989) establishing the long running series about a child's ad ...more
More about James Mayhew...

Katie (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Katie and the Spanish Princess
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • Katie's Sunday Afternoon
  • Katie and the Dinosaurs
  • Katie in London
  • Katie's Picture Show
  • Katie and the Waterlily Pond: A Magical Journey Through Five Monet Masterpieces
  • Katie and the British Artists
  • Katie in Scotland
Katie Meets The Impressionists Who Wants A Dragon? Katie and the Mona Lisa Ella Bella Ballerina and Cinderella Katie's Sunday Afternoon