Start by marking “I'd Sooner Starve!” as Want to Read:
I'd Sooner Starve!

I'd Sooner Starve!

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  20 reviews
THE HILARIOUS NUMBER 1 BEST-SELLER

Have you ever eaten in a restaurant? Have you ever wondered why the waiter was surly? Why the salad was limp? The Soup cold? Ever thought the owners looked like they didn’t know what they were doing? Ever thought you could do better ... ever wanted to quit your job...?

‘I’d Sooner Starve’ is the amazing true story of one man's quest to esca
Published November 9th 2011 by Wild Wolf Publishing

To ask other readers questions about I'd Sooner Starve!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Sooner Starve!

Arnie Davis
Awesome. This book is really very funny and eye-opening. I gasped as many times as I laughed. Brilliant from start to finish. Recommended for anyone who has been a customer - or served one!
Susie Kelly
“I’d Sooner Starve“, by Mark Sinclair is about a council employee who decides he’d rather be a delicatessen/restaurant owner, his sole qualification being his ability to make a quiche without a recipe. Opening during the winter and serving only cold meals showed a certain misunderstanding of his market, and the student two-ring oven wasn’t really adequate for the shift to hot meals. The author readily accepts that many of his problems were of his own making, and I had a strong feeling that he wa ...more
Karen (Kew)
This is a witty piece of writing chronicling how a couple started up their own delicatessen and restuarant with no previous experience at all. Some of the antics had me laughing but some of the tales of the customers that they had to deal with were horrific. Having worked with the public myself in the past I can confirm that there are some nasty customers out there! There was also some bitterness to the writing, understandably.
Ruth
c2011. The title says it all really. I have always thought that serving the general public must be incredibly hard whether you own the business or not. The experiences relayed in the book started off as funny but then became, in my mind, very bitter. Unsurprisingly, of course. There was also a tone of entitlement running throughout the book. It was a Kindle freebie so I have nothing to complain about but it is a sad state of affairs when there were no nice customers or people (other than the che ...more
Rod Glenn
An absolutely hilarious true story about one man deciding to quit the day job and follow his dream of opening up a deli in a quaint market town. What ensues is nothing short of shocking and hilarious in equal measures - more so because it is a true story. For anyone who has worked in the service industry and had to deal with awkward customers this is a must read. Brilliant for everyone else too of course.
Phill B
I really enjoyed this brilliant book, it's a funny tale of one man's journey through the world of new business. And his interactions with the most absurd and annoying customers. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended
Paul
I found myself laughing out loud at some of the stories in this book. Worth reading for the cheese warming story alone.
Darth
The awful customers make my blood boil! Fortunately, the author's writing made me laugh out loud. I absolutely agree with the author on the issue of food waste. I ALWAYS pack whatever is leftover at the table, even the bread in the bread basket. I do my best not to waste food. As I was reading the final chapters on how much food those customers waste, a crazy idea popped into my head. What if there's a restaurant that have a giant TV that plays videos of hungry people around the world? And there ...more
Elizabeth Toon
Loved this book. Well written, funny and easy to read. I do enjoy autobiographies.
jeremy
Its a colourful recount of the author's entrepreneurship, experience in the service industry, and the life of an amateur yet professional chef. I think everyone should read this to appreciate the lengths that caring service industry workers have to endure to make a living. While the story humorously recounts some horrid experiences and the pitfalls, it also demonstrates the importance of only going into a business loaded with foresight, expertise, and knowledge.
Janet Bramley
Easy to read with characters that are very recognizable if you've ever worked with the public,his ranting was funny in places, repetative in others. If you have only ever been a customer, you may not get some of the frustrations, but a warning to those who think it could be an easy option and living the dream by owning your own place and being your own boss.
Will there be a follow on book of his next adventure? I'd like to read it if there is.
Nathan
This was an enjoyable, if sometimes repetitive, insight into this blokes venture into becoming a restaurant owner. Funny in parts, with the odd requests and behaviors of some of his customers. I had to feel sorry for him as my worst nightmare would be to have to work with the general public. Although when I was reading the book it was easy to read and get into, it wasn't a book that I was itching to pick up at any given moment.
Lorraine

This was a very easy book to read and so down to earth, I do empathise with all you had to put up with over the four years of running the deli and restaurant ... You just can't please most of the general public , I really enjoyed your book and experiences it certainly made me laugh :-)
Taryn
Interesting to read about the industry and goes a long way to put off any romantic ideas potential deli owners have. Good to see it from the independent supplier's point of view too, but needless today I won't be selling up to open shop!
Kevin Rourke
If your job involves dealing a lot in Customer Service with the public. This book is right up your street. Some really good anecdotes that sound a little too familiar where i work (at a train station)I enjoyed this book.
Darren Keighley
As a caterer I can really relate to this book and laughed at most of what he wrote as I have been in most of these situations myself.
Funny read.
Angela
A very funny light-hearted book that I really enjoyed reading.
Amanda Wilson
Hilarious, made me actually laugh out loud
Roisin
very funny
Vasco
Very good
Janita
Janita marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
David Kavanagh
David Kavanagh marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Harvina Britain
Harvina Britain marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Melody
Melody is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2014
Sally Cottrell
Sally Cottrell marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Beard TM: The Untold Stories Behind 29 Classic Logos TM Heidegger: Poiesis in Being I'd Sooner Starve