Start by marking “Circles” as Want to Read:
Circles

Circles

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  34 reviews
With much of the world still undiscovered, a small band of people live a peaceful life, until the dream vision of a young boy, Feather Floating In Water, changes everything. Only nine winters old, Feather’s dreams turn his seemingly ordinary childhood into the journey of a lifetime. He must help his people face a terrifying destiny from which they cannot turn away. He must ...more
ebook
Published January 4th 2012 by Evolved Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Circles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circles

Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireHopeless by Colleen HooverWanted by Kelly ElliottOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Indie Authors Everybody Should Read
484th out of 2,770 books — 3,185 voters
Once Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestionAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniA Job From Hell by Jayde ScottSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutPsycho Save Us by Chad Huskins
Best Indie Books/Authors
299th out of 1,402 books — 1,561 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly Kinrade
This is a book full of lost wisdom, engaging characters and a beautiful story of one boy's journey from boyhood to manhood to Holy Man. Told from multiple points of view, Circles takes us back to a time of the Native Americans, when the world was simple and they lived off the land and honored the ancestors and passed on wisdom through the generations.

You will be transported to this way of life, and feel as if you are walking along side these people as the story slowly unfolds. Ruby Standing Dee
Rodger Wellings
Circles is an invention for a modern time that is played out in the past. We visit a time before the Europeans discovered America. We see the world through the eyes of a young boy ‘feather floating in water’ who is often awoken by disturbing dreams telling of bearded men who will kill his people and ravage his land. Feather is a young child who finds himself faced with a great responsibility to save his people and lead them to safety. Along the way we are introduced many characters, both human a ...more
Michael Baca
I found Circles to be a rather intriguing story that flowed well and was chock full of interesting characters that are easily identifiable and quite interesting.

The story follows 'Feather Floating in Water', a young boy who discovers through his often frightening dreams that he must save his people at the age if just 8 years. Feather lives with his grandparents; his grandmother is a patient woman answering many of Feather questions and as well has teaches him about life.

Circles emulates a time
Lane Diamond
Jan 09, 2012 Lane Diamond rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone over 13.
Shelves: edited
I had the pleasure of editing: Circles, by Ruby Standing Deer.

What drew me to this book can best be summed up in two words: The People. I fell in love with the characters, and I found their ancient culture more than just a little intriguing.

This is not a rock ‘em, sock ‘em, edge-of-your-seat action book. This journey will carry you inside the hearts and minds of a deeply spiritual People, who loved the Earth they inhabited and those who shared their space. Their quick wit and easy sense of humor
S.M. Blooding
I was on the fence when I started reading this book. I was prepared to be disappointed. I don’t know why. Probably because I AM a slightly shallow the person the cover didn’t scream “commercial fiction”. I don’t know.

I was ridiculously surprised. The story was well crafted and well written! With as many books as I read, or attempt to read because I don’t finish them all, when I find one that is crafted and written well, I feel as though I’ve found a treasure! This one IS for sure! Ms. Standing D
John Chapman
A beautiful story of what should have been.

Circles is the story of a young Indian boy who lives his life at the time of the first appearance of Europeans in North America. His tribe are known as the Fish People and live their lives peacefully in a canyon hunting, fishing and gathering without metals and where the horse is unknown.

The boy has been given the name 'Feather Floating on Water'. When we first meet him he is eight years old and lives with his grandparents, Hawk Soaring and Bright Sun F
Linda_1492
Circles was like a timeless tradition that was once forgotten but is now found once again. There are lessons that each of us need to, perhaps, relearn.

The story follows a young boy who's fate is to save his people. There are many unique characters and adventures. Some will have you reminiscing of your own childhood or that of your children's and others will have to on the edge of your seat hoping for the best.

I finished this book rather quickly, if only because I could not put it down for long.
David Litwack
Circles is a beautifully written story depicting the lives of the fish people, a small -American Indian tribe at the time of the Europeans’ arrival to the continent. The characters are richly drawn and endearing, especially the young boy, Feather Floating in Water, whose powerful dreams foreshadow the impending threat to his people. As he grows, these dreams force him at too tender an age into leading his people through a time of crisis .

I’m not qualified to say how accurately the culture or his
Rose Gardener
The Fish People (as the tribe call themselves) bring Native American culture to life, allowing the reader to observe their day to day experiences and listen to the wise voices of the spirit guides first hand. Feather Floats on Water takes us back to an innocent age where family bonds, nature and spirit guides were a way of life. Maturing from a boy of eight to a young man destined to lead his people, he steers us through more turbulent times as the modern world impinges on their ancient one.

Indi
Jeannie
This was a great book. Native American, Early peoples. It was reminiscent of The First North American series by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. Feather is a boy who has dream visions and he has powers that he never dreamed of. The story had good pacing, and it unfolded just enough to keep you moving in the story. I just didn't want it to end when it ended. I wanted to continue the story and see how it played out. I love the lessons given in this book, and they are lessons we can take i ...more
Joyce Hertzoff
Ruby Standing Deer as creatic an epic American Indian tale about Feather, a boy of the Fish People, who at a young age becomes a respected and wise 'elder' of his people. His visions prepare him to lead his clan and several others to a new home to protect them from less peaceful people who are coming.

The writing is lyrical and mesmerizing. Descriptions of the people and their connection to the land and animals are clear and engaging.
Crystal Zen
"The Truth Of All That Exists "
I think this is a beautifully told story of the Native American way and the true way of all Life as it should be. This story has many messages but most importantly that the Earth is our Mother and she should be respected and honored by us as humans only passing through. I love Feather and his wolf White Paws and how they met. Truly amazing. One of my favorite lessons in this book is about The Pipe of Truth and its true meaning of how it teaches us about the joy of
Lucy
A Native American story told with a Native American voice. the message is one we Hairy Ones should heed. we too have the power but ignore it.
Terri
What an amazing story!
1st let me say, I read / listened to this book in audio format via audible.com. I pick up audiobooks as much as I can as they have more adventure to them over reading a book myself. There is proper pronunciations and loads of emotions & excitement. Also with audio, I can do the yard work, housework, take a drive and still read my book too! I highly recommend everyone try an audiobook of your favorite book & see if the story did get better than before!
I loved this
Michelle
Very good glimpse into Native American beliefs of the past.
Holly
A wonderful read, one I could not put down.
Emlyn Chand
I've been a bit baffled over how I should review Circles. This book is unlike anything I've ever read before, and I mean that in the absolute best way possible.

Circles is not a book you read quickly and then forget. Its words dance circles around your head, absorb into your heart. And the best word I have to describe it is not entertaining, thought-provoking, illuminating, or any of the other words you might expect to find in a book review--but rather peaceful, calming, tranquil.

I live with a l
Catherine Nobles
"Circles is an historical novel about indigenous Americans during the infancy of European contact appealed to me because it beautifully and predominantly portrayed the spiritual life of these people. While violent confrontations were incorporated appropiately -- with other tribes and the Spanish -- they were described by inference rather than graphically. The protagonist tribes were peaceful by preference but were willing to do whatever was necessary to preserve their way of life.

It is difficul
Patricia Kemp Blackmon

Feather Floating In Water lives with his grandparents and his mother. Feather is a dreamer, he is a very special young boy. He is older than his age. He will be a very important person to his people. He sees things that will change his life and that of his people. His grandmother, Bright Sun Flower understands what he is going through because she has the same dreams.

Feather has a very special companion. It is a grey wolf that has chosen Feather. He is a very wise wolf.

Feather has the respect of
Lissette
Feather Floating In Water’s life has always been peaceful. He’s proud to be a member of the Fish People and lives his life to the fullest. He’s young and carefree and has been taught to appreciate the world around him. Every day he gives thanks for the bounties that Father Sun and Mother Earth have provided for him and his family. Things have never been better for him, yet he cannot help but feel a tad disturbed by the unexpected dreams that surface every night.

For as long as he can remember, Fe
Jean
what a wonderful read about a time long gone Silby Grant gave me this book to read and I am so glad It is a book that makes you think that we should take time to listen to nature around us and feel the peace of life thank you.
Susan
Ruby Running Deer pens "Circles", a Native American story, in a plot filled with emotions, spirituality and a touch of humor. With characters that are realistic and believable you can not help but feel you are one with them. I love that there really was no war and fighting but a story about a boy who takes a journey from boyhood into adulthood. Pay attention to the moral of the story, it is something we all need to remember in this modern world. A highly recommended must read for all..

This revie
Angela
It has been a long time since I have read a good historical fiction novel focused on Native Americans. Circles was a fantastic way back into this genre.

Ruby Standing Deer writes a wonderful novel with a strong plot and interesting characters. The language choices are deliberate and convey the mindset and spirit of the People. This is a book to be savored rather than devoured quickly. The pacing of the novel allows for reflection on the story that transfers to contemplation of one's own life.

I am
T.G.
I loved the introduction to the Native American culture and the insight into their history. The novel tells about a culture of innate goodness, love and respect. And of the finality of change.
By now means is Circles a fast paced read- I found myself stopping often to ponder the teachings of this long lost culture and how much we need those morals and values in todays uncertain times.
This book will appeal to all ages.

Barry
Enlightening & entertaining.

I’ve always been fascinated by native peoples and how attuned to nature they are. This well-crafted tale of a tribe of American Indians facing the upheaval caused by the expansion of white settlers goes a long way to explaining their beliefs and the way they and their world are interconnected. We could learn a lot from such people.

The characters are clearly drawn, each one likeable in his or her own way, each one with something to offer to the tribe. There is a me
MaryMargaret Trush-Rice
Makes me have wanted to have been in that time,
It was easy to give and take
Danny
I do so love historical correct native American reads and especially when written by a native American such as Ruby Standing Deer, so I took a chance on this new to me author.

I will have to say that I was somewhat disappointed in the book as a whole but greatly satisfied with parts which makes for a mixed review and the 3 star rating. I wanted to give it a 4 star but had to be honest with myself.

I did enjoy the cast of characters which became a little tedious for me to keep up with because of t
Vibina Venugopal
Novel revolves around native American's life through a touch of spiritual wisdom...When the novel opens up Feather floating in water is eight winter old, he is a gifted boy who has dreams of visions he is yet to decode, his grandmother, Bright sun flower is already into the spiritual thought process, hence understands him and helps him time and again to clear of his troubled dreams..She teaches early how things are interconnected taking examples through the famous food web .. Feather grows up as ...more
Richard Ross

A beautiful and spiritual experience about native indian traditions. I love this example depicting the fish people and the growth of a young boy into a spiritual leader at age 14. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that there is little or no back stabbing politics and greed noted, and everything is understood as related to the circle of life, past, present, and future. Maybe that's just because I'm one of the hairy ones.

As for the book, I was really enjoying the buildup to dealing with the evi
Norma M.
has a good start, but reads less and less believable as the story progresses
My book came to me in my dreams. 3 8 Aug 12, 2013 08:26AM
  • Eulogy
  • The Lives of Rachel
  • The Silver Sphere
  • The Callahans: The Complete Series
  • When Fate Dictates (Highland Secrets, #1)
  • Tempest at Dawn
  • Fiji (The World Duology, #2)
  • Desert Flower
  • At Road's End (Pre-Aztec series, Prequel)
Nature Lover, NEED animals in my life. 1/2 Cherokee 1/2 Irish/Scottish. Love to walk on the prairie. I hear nature, whispers from the Spirits. I have learned to listen to much most people do not hear.

Circles came to me in my dreams. Dreams are important in understanding yourself.

Animals have taught me more about myself that humans. They love you no matter what.
More about Ruby Standing Deer...
spirals Spirals Stones Evolution: Vol. 1 (A Short Story Collection)