Start by marking “Vincent Van Gogh: Sunflowers and Swirly Stars” as Want to Read:
Vincent Van Gogh: Sunflowers and Swirly Stars

Vincent Van Gogh: Sunflowers and Swirly Stars (Smart About Art)

A boy named Brad explores the ups and downs of Van Gogh's life in this colorful report. Full-color illustrations.
Published October 1st 2001 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Vincent Van Gogh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vincent Van Gogh

Lisa
Jul 14, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing

My six year old is obsessed with art and anything related. I bought this book for her knowing that she would love to know more about Vincent Van Gogh. She loves it. The book is too wordy for a six year old; however, I read the book to my daughter and she adored all the pictures. It is definitely a great way to introduce art to children!
Andrea
Jul 17, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Used this book to read to a group of children during a library summer reading event. It was a big hit! Afterward, we painted our own starry nights on switch plates, complete with a little glow-in-the-dark magic!
Karen Arnold
Jan 19, 2009 Karen Arnold rated it it was amazing
this entire series of Smart About Art books is a fabulous way to introduce kids to famous artists. They are written in the form of kids class reports about the artists and hit the highlights, show some samples of their works and got my kids interested in the great artists of our times.
Lekeshua
Dec 12, 2016 Lekeshua rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
My littles were intrigued. We are now studying some of van Gogh's work. My son said he will no longer be sad when his creations aren't perfect. His favorite was the painting, The Bedroom while my daughter's was Starry Night. My daughter said she likes to draw with swirls too. My son likes how realistic the paintings look.
M.M. Hudson
Jan 10, 2016 M.M. Hudson rated it it was amazing
This was a very different book than I have read previously from this author. This comes from a series of books about artist. The book is written like a book report that a child would give which was interesting in itself. It was also written in first person as the "child" sees van Gogh.

I liked that the book gave a thorough view at the artist life from the time he was born to the time of his death. One page even showed the artist as a young boy. The book mentioned his brother and how he got along
Caitlyn Jacob
Jan 03, 2010 Caitlyn Jacob rated it it was amazing
Smart About Art is a great series about artists; each book in the series is written as if by a student writing a research report. Good for grades 1-4. Works well in my 2nd grade class.
All are filled with facts, photos of the artist's work, and quirky fun humor. Favorites in the series:
Vincent van Gogh Sunflowers and Swirly Stars by Holub
Edgar Degas Paintings that Dance by Cocca-Leffler
Henry Matisse Painting with Scissors by O'Connor
A.
Apr 29, 2010 A. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 12 and younger
Shelves: 2010-best-books
This is one of the books I wish I had when I was little. It speaks to the mind and soul of the young reader. Books like this one makes learning fun and effective.

I think I'll buy the rest of the series.

April 29, 2010

I just finished reading for the second time, and it's still my fav. book about VG.
Meredith Leach
Apr 22, 2010 Meredith Leach rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to Van Gogh. Witty, wonderful humor!
Sandra Hansen
Jan 02, 2017 Sandra Hansen rated it it was amazing
Nice book for elementary children. It was a huge hit When I read this during art classes. It's a great introductory book about one of the world's greatest artist!
Janice
Mar 04, 2014 Janice rated it liked it
I read this book to my children after we spent some time studying the art work of Vincent van Gogh. I am glad that we read it AFTER they had already experienced some of his art and formed their own opinions about what they liked and didn't like. To me there was something kind of weird about this book, and I can't quite explain what other than it just seemed a little bit "off" somehow. It is written from the point of view of a fifth grader who has studied different artists and was then asked to w ...more
Shelli
A wonderful addition to any elementary or middle school art class or library discussing the troubled life of Vincent Van Gogh. I think 5th graders would benefit the most from this read since that is the year that they typically do their first biography reports; this is told in a biography report fashion.
Mercedes Riley
Apr 22, 2014 Mercedes Riley rated it did not like it
While I enjoyed reading the book with my dd, I did not enjoy the sudden mention of Van Gogh's suicide by gunshot! I yanked the book out of my YOUNG dd's hands and had to explain to her what happened. I do not recommend this book for the grade level that it aims at. The AR level is 3.1. A third grade level. I recommend including MENTAL HEALTH and SUICIDE as sub categories.
Missy
I love this series! Both of my young boys were drawn in to the story of van Gogh's life and art--lively cartoons along with the text always help. After we finished, they began recognizing van Gogh's prints around.
Avery
Jun 12, 2013 Avery rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I learned lots of things about Vincent Van Gogh. The part I thought was weird was the part about him cutting off his ear. I liked it because it was about an artist and I like artists. I learned new ways of painting.
Mckinley
Aug 30, 2016 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, art, biography
V makes me think of my mother who is largely responsible for my understanding and love of art. V is one of her favorites.
Theresa
Jul 26, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
an analysis of the pictures and meaningsbehind th pictures from a childs point of view.
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Ruby Jeanne Taylor
Ruby Jeanne Taylor rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Kaeley Lyons
Kaeley Lyons rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
May 04, 2008
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
2bibliophiles
2bibliophiles rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Lindsey Jane
Lindsey Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Na Hyun Ju
Na Hyun Ju rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Jen via
Jen via rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Islandriter
Islandriter rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Tanai Walker
Tanai Walker rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Tinche
Tinche rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...

Smart About Art (1 books)
  • Hooray for Ballet!