Plan C: Just in Case

Plan C: Just in Case

2.87 of 5 stars 2.87  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A screwball comedy with a heart. Thelma & Louise go to Europe. A revenge on midlife crisis.

Plan A: We grow up, get married, have babies, white picket fence.

Plan B: Mortgages, marriages, mistresses, divorce, my kids, his kids, stepkids, blended families. College tuition. Empty nest. Empty soul.

Plan C: Cabernet, passports, jet lag, Ambien, Europe. Who needs reality?

Until...more
Published January 23rd 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Plan C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plan C

Julia
perfect book to play cliché bingo with - you are done after a few pages!

I was very surprised when I read at the end that the author writes about women's empowerment because I had the opposite impression. What really got on my nerves were the constant reminders of her faith and believe in heaven and god - far too much in your face for my taste.

The clichés extended to life in suburbia and New York, the girlfriends, husbands/boyfriends, British people (surprising especially since the editor is Brit...more
Mazthegreat
From the onset it was snappy and amusing and you can't stop reading because you have to wait for the three characters to all merge. Once they do, Cahall has good voices for Libby, Kitty and Bebe and their potential destinies. Kitty was a bit farfetched but I think she's meant to be because she's at her turning point for love and business and worried for recession. I'm not sure that I believe these women would all be friends but the author has made it believeable enough to follow it through. I th...more
Carol
I found this a light hearted read, did not particularly enjoy. Readable, but nothing special.
Anjana
Plan C is the story Libby Crockett, a divorced and single mother in her forties looking for a fresh start, which, she gets but it's too messy. Ben, his ex-wife, their kids, her kids and the drama going on with her friends all together make her life in New York so overwhelming that she and her friends, Kitty and Bebe decide to drop what they're doing and take off to Europe hoping to figure things out.

As far as women's fiction go, Plan C by Lois Cahall is pretty standard with elements of chick l...more
Rachel
I read this book and enjoyed it however I found it sometimes hard to follow. The author would change the time and place of the writing without warning. However, as I read this on a Kindle, I am not sure if something like subheadings was lost in translation. Overall, a good easy read.
Sue
Jul 17, 2014 Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I bought this because it was the Nook deal of the day. I finished the book despite the fact that the most memorable thing about the book was the writing -- and not in a good way. Every page had at least one lengthy and awkward simile.
Kim Mcclure
I couldn't finish this book. I really enjoyed Court of the Myrtles by this author, but this was completely different and just didn't appeal to me.
Kris
Die Geschichte war okay.
Vielleicht hätte ich auch 3 Sterne vergeben, aber zwei Sachen haben mich massiv gestört.
Zum einen:
die Adoptivtochter bzw. wie die Adoption usw. beschrieben wurde. Das Kind war nur ein Objekt oder Accessoire oder sowas... grauenhaft.
und zum anderen:
die vielen Fehler, nicht nur Tippfehler sondern auch fehlende Akzentzeichen bei den französischen Sätzen (ferme, tres, ...) und Wörter, die fast schon den Sinn verlieren, so falsch sehen sie aus (vu statt vous usw.)
Auch wenn...more
Michelle
I'm a sucker for "woman decides to take off to __________" books - in this case, Paris. However, I had to wait a looong time for the main character to take off to Paris. When she finally did, the book got worse and worse until I just couldn't finish it. I didn't love it from the beginning, but I liked it enough to stay with it. I gave it up when I was 87% finished, if that indicates how disillusioned I became with this book.
Providence Princess
If this were my life I'd be thrilled! It's a fun adventure through boredom, too many careers and then Paris journey. I loved living vicariously thru Cahall's nonsense. I'm betting she and Kitty are fun people to hang with in real life assuming all fiction is based on something. Not happy about the ending though. Wish she didn't end up with the guy because he didn't really deserve her.
Rebecca
I kept putting off reading this because I was reading something else and now I finally sat down to this. I never laughed so hard as I did spending a week with this book. If the story is any indication of where my life is headed, I'm only on PLAN A barely, but look forward to the fun and wisdom of being an older woman with humor. You can't help but love it!
Melanie Hanes
I just finished this book last week and it made me laugh so much. It's all over the map but somehow Cahall ties it all together much like her lead heroine Libby does. It ain't easy being an evil stepmom even when you're a nice one!! I know. I'm in the same boat. Alot of us are. It's good somebody addressed it though somebody should do it in non-fiction, too
Rachel Chiapparine
It felt like a knock off of "Lipstick Jungle".
Vegasvixen
I guess in twenty years my girlfriends will still be my bffs! I love how Cahall understnds relationships through humor. Girls are girls at every age and this one makes you realize just because you have children and a husband doesn't mean you're dead!
Jackie
I wanted to yell at all the characters in this book. Really? A Sex in the City wannabe storyline only among married women. None of the characters in this book are likable just spoiled. Even the supposedly struggling, do gooders are unlike able.
Sean Polay
Several laugh-out-loud moments. An easy, breezy read that would be great poolside or beachside. While it might be considered the book equivalent of a chick flick, fathers, husbands and boyfriends alike will find they enjoy it too.
Lovely Lee
at the suggestion of MORE magazines Holiday picks I decided to read this over the weekend. Simple, fun, sense of humor and a soul. Fun read for the older woman who's been there done that. I'm on Plan W for WAY BEYOND!
Simplesimone
I usually read the classics, but at the recommendation of a friend when I was on holiday, I read this Amazon summer rated novel. It's well-written silliness with a heart and a message, even if it's not Hamlet!
A screenplay disguised as a novel which could have used some major editing, preferably by a non-screenwriter. Note to self: Do not buy books when the glowing blurb on the back is written by said screenwriter/editor.
Siren Sue
I'm telling all my friends that I want to stay positive, and no matter how hard it is, I'm gonna put one foot in front of the other, and find my plan C. Love this book. Hoping for Plan D!
Miss
this is a super cool book that makes you laugh so hard. I think the chapter about the boar in the woods is the best scene. A great book for the beach or late at night when you can't sleep.
Digital Age
I walk around life saying I need a plan C but who know this one would be such fun! I met the author and was intrigued to read her book. It's as funny and smart as she is!
Isabelle
this is such a fun book that could be a movie. It's a silly well-written light read that makes every woman stop and think about the many steps along the road of life.
Artworld
this is a rare combination of humor and tight writing come together in light-hearted humor. Not my usual read but was highly recommended by a friend.
Lady Gisele
Silly and sensible...a fast fun read once you get to know all the kooky characters. I could related to a couple of the bumps along the road of my own life.
Rosemary
Starts off well, but ridiculous characters, unbelievable "plot" twists, and not consistently well written. Very disappointing.
Caroline
This is a funny book about all types of women in all situations in life. Would make a really good movie. It jumps off the pages
Nicki
overall i liked it, it was a bit annoying how the story jumped in time, and i think the end was a bit cheesy.
Justjan
I thought this was a funny and fun book that would make a good movie at some point! Go girlfriendssss!
Leopard Lounge
this is such a book-for-our times with women all trying to figure it out but keeping a sense of humor.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Lois Cahall began her career as a newspaper journalist in Boston, Massachusetts and as an associate producer for Nick and Judith Krantz, pursuing true-life stories for CBS TV movies. In 2010 Ms. Cahall pursued her mission of addressing issues in women’s daily lives as a host of ABC News’ Top Priority and Good Morning America NOW. This is also Ms. Cahall’s tenth year as “The Screen Queen” (www.scre...more
More about Lois Cahall...
Plan C (Bloomsbury Reader) Court of the Myrtles Court of the Myrtles