Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Stone Rose” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Stone Rose

Doctor Who: The Stone Rose (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #7)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  4,858 Ratings  ·  486 Reviews
David Tennant reads this absorbing story of a missing boy, a clairvoyant girl and a strange stone effigy

Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realizes that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture.

While the Doctor se
Audiobook, Abridged, 2 pages
Published July 6th 2006 by BBC Audiobooks Ltd. (first published June 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Nobody 256. For the future, the number of pages is usually displayed under the description of the book.

Andrea LeClair
I listened to the audio book and flailed around in my car for most of it. David Tennant is an astoundingly good reader, and there's something delightful about how pitch-perfect his character voices are (and how fun to have him actually sound like the Doctor.) Packed with Doctor-and-Rose moments, and with a fun plot twist and lots of close brushes with time paradoxes that make up for the seemingly interminable and gruesome time the Doctor spends in the Flavian Amphitheater.
Alesia
Apr 22, 2009 Alesia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timey-wimey, wibbley-wobbley sort of thing.
April
Jul 25, 2012 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I completely forgot that I'd read this book, given that I read it a long time ago now. Can I just take this tiny 'pocket of time' to mention how much I miss Doctor x Rose? I know this isn't the TV series, but I can't stress how much I miss the old Doctor Who. Personally I feel the stories and characters were beyond the standard of what it was made out to be (the twists had my family and I literally huddled around the TV screen either in a state of shock or sobbing uncontrollably). It was undenia ...more
Tamara
Feb 20, 2016 Tamara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: For anyone who wants more 10th & Rose
3,5 stars
“I've seen a lot of strange things...Abominable snowmen, Werewolves, Demons. Vampires. But Roman gods with mystical powers?”
HA. Come on doctor, nothing can be scarier than Weeping Angels.

*shudders*

Oh wait, wrong season.

Anyway. My favorite doctor's new adventure read my favorite doctor. How could I said no?

Narrator: David Tennant

Duration: 2 hours and 22 minutes long.

Featuring: the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler as the companion. Mickey and Rose's mother also make cameos.

The Story: 'Be Ca
Hailey
Sep 21, 2007 Hailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who cares about the plot? Doctor/Rose banter!
Nedda
Jun 16, 2012 Nedda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv, science-fiction
This had to be one of the cutest Doctor Who stories I've read/watched!

Jacqui Rayner has captured the essence of the 10th Doctor; quirky, manic, fiercely intelligent and prone to the occasional burst of terrible anger.

I listened to the audio book as well and was very impressed! David Tennant did a terrific job. He does wonderful character voices, and you can definitely hear the distinctions between Rose and her mother for example, it was also great hearing him as the Doctor!

Thoroughly recommend
Kimberley doruyter
gives power to the saying be careful what you wish for.
Zeek
May 22, 2013 Zeek rated it it was amazing
The Stone Rose

Ah I miss Ten and Rose- that’s why I lept at the chance to listen to a, as yet, untold adventure of their’s on Audible. In this short story, (About 2 and hrs listening time), part time Time-Traveling Doctor’s companion Mickey Smith shows The Doctor and Rose something odd at the museum- a perfect replica of Rose as the Goddess Fortuna in marble… from 1st Century Rome.

Realizing that’s Rome is their next trip, The Doctor takes Rose back in time with him to discover the creator of th
Sonnie
Mar 12, 2013 Sonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I'll be honest here, I bought this audio book simply because I seen it was read by David Tennant and it was Doctor Who. I mean, it's pretty impossible not to like anything that involves those two, am I right? I've read TV-to-Book's before when I was younger, so I had an idea of what I was getting into. If you're expecting extensive character development, don't look here.

BUT, if you're like me, and looking for something entertaining to listen to on your way to work, then go for it! David's voices
Anna Kļaviņa
It started OK, but soon after the Doctor and Rose arrived in Rome, it went downhill. I could guess what happened with the missing boy as soon as the sculptor was introduced. You probably can too ;D

And it got only worse (!)

I've perfect gif for Ten/Rose kiss, Ten going back in time to save Rose, all that Vanessa & GENIE story, ridiculous (and competently pointless) scene in Colosseum, and for making Ten say "But some slaves do lead happy lives. Or they're given their freedom, or buy it"

perfe
Glenn
Apr 18, 2016 Glenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The short review:

Starts off predictable.
Begins to lead you to believe that it's not predictable.
Becomes predictable again.
Shows some heart and emotion (briefly)
Turns silly.
Ends as predicted (with a well established trope, none-the-less)

The longer review coming in a few weeks on the podcast.
Hazeltwilight
Aug 08, 2015 Hazeltwilight rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 1.5 - This review does have spoilers.
This was a disappointing book to say the least. The reasons are listed below:

1. The Doctor
In the foreword the writer mentions that the she started writing this book before the tenth doctor had been fully created. And you can tell. Every other character from the show is written on the nose - you can hear that character speaking when you read. That's just not the case with the tenth doctor. It's like he is an unfinished statue - he's got the general sha
Jo
May 21, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
El audiolibro más corto de la historia u.u,lo escuché en tan sólo 2 horas non stop con muchos elementos wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

description

Escogí este título porque no sabía en qué gastar mi último crédito gratis en audible (Fueron 2 meses en que lo nuestro fue puro amor,pero creo que la membresía es muy cara porque a ese precio encuentro un libro bonito y hardback en book depository,aunque igual os extrañaré "Please don't go girl" (8) XD ) y entonces haciendo scroll bang!!!, me sale está sugerencia y co
Callie Rose Tyler
Jul 20, 2012 Callie Rose Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
The plot and setting of this story were promising, Mickey discovers a sculpture of Rose from ancient Rome in a museum. Upon showing it to the Doctor and Rose they decide that they must make a trip to Rome 120AD so that the sculpture can be made thus avoiding a time paradox.

Everything starts out fine, slight spoiler (happens relatively quickly), Rose is actually turned into stone instead of modeling for a sculpture being made in her image and the Doctor must find her and bring her back to her fle
Christopher Buchanan
If you're a big fan of David Tennant, and you think Twilight was great, and your favorite part about Doctor Who is when Rose and the 10th Doctor make puppy eyes at each other and you're a twelve-year-old girl then grab your My Little Ponies and Giddyup! This book is for you!

This book is crap. No bones about it. Crap. There's a whole lot of the aforementioned puppy eyes business going on, a bunch of condemning ancient cultures by modern morality (a personal pet peeve), a convoluted story line th
Dani
Aug 01, 2013 Dani rated it really liked it
Uh yeah. I think I may have officially reached a new level of geekdom -- Doctor Who TV show-based novelizations? The next thing you know I'll be attending Comic-Con as a Dalek. Not... that... there's anything wrong with that. *whispers confidentially* Between you and me, I think I'm just still coming to terms with true reality and scope of my nerdiness. Don't worry, I'll get there eventually. Maybe not dressed as a Dalek, but anyway...

David Tennant. DAVID TENNANT. The man is amazing, and he nar
Slither
Dec 09, 2007 Slither rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need firewood
When you find that the only enjoyment you are getting from a book is the thought of reviewing it on Goodreads, it is a bad sign.

This is a Doctor Who book. Now, if I were an author, before writing a book in a television series that has had 737 episodes, I would attempt to watch at least one. Clearly, I am not Jaqueline Rayner, the author. Ahem, the Doctor is not just a dude with a time machine! And, before having your characters talk about the "laws of time", it would be nice if you actually knew
Angela
My first Tenth Doctor novel, recommended to me by LJ user eveshka, started off a bit slow--but picked up considerably in the second half. It also had the distinction of being the first Doctor story I can remember encountering that's set in actively ancient Earth history, which was a refreshing change of pace. Yet despite the historical setting, there's a nice twining in of futuristic technology as well, and I liked that the scope of this story was more of a "solving a time mystery" rather than " ...more
Carolyn
Oh! Oh, oh, oh, OOOOOHHH!!!

I am squirming and bouncing in my seat! I can't help it!!! Giant, stupid grin plastered across my face... I have to admit... Ten & Rose? Mmmmmm happy place! ;D

I've read and listened to several Who books - mind, usually I only listen to David Tennant read. Acause?! Hello! I love me some gorgeous, pretty boy Scotsman. Yes, please! Ooops. Blush... That was a bit of a detour. Ahem. I'm good. Back to the review. Wait. I need another sec. Hmmmm David Yummy Tennant. Siii
Evan Lien
I listened to the audio book in the car today. David Tennant is by far one of the best readers I've ever come across. It's worth listening to just for his on point Jackie impression, or the Mickey voice, that he gets perfectly. Seriously, nothing wrong with that one.
As for the plot: you know how these books are usually terrible?
Having read the supernatural book series before listening to this, I was expecting something equally shit. That the authour didn't know anything about the characters, or
Juliette Simonds
Nov 19, 2014 Juliette Simonds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes. It's a book based off a TV show. I really liked it. It was like finding a lost episode. And not just any lost episode, but an episode from one of my favorite seasons. Not surprisingly, since it is sci-fi, it was full of out of order time travel and paradoxes. Thumbs up :).
Avi Hannah
May 05, 2012 Avi Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Listening to this book was just- amazing. I started it and was hooked, finished it in just a day because I couldn't stop. David Tennant is a wonderful voice actor, and I was constantly impressed with how quickly he switched between his Scottish accent (for narration) and his Doctor voice. His Jackie voice was PERFECT and hilarious, and his Mickey voice just made me laugh.
His acting though. He conveyed the emotion as the Doctor exactly as he would on the show. I'd be listening and enjoying and la
E.C. Elliot
May 01, 2016 E.C. Elliot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They only cussed once so that was GREAT! ;)

I love how Rose was portrayed (a big plus after being hugely let down by how she was written in 'The Price of Paradise' by Colin Brake). Ten was awesome as well; though I wish it talked about his mannerisms a bit more- the quirks we know and love.

The storyline was lovely! I was confused towards the end but.... Timey wimey stuff! Such an intricate storyline!
Tanish Jena
Lots and lots of paradoxes.
Though I didn't get the the ususal thrill I get from watching Doctor Who, this was a good plot, it will do.
Most importantly, I picked this novel to read the 'the other not-acknowledged-very-often'relationship between Doctor and Rose, which I have been missing a little.
Clearly, my wish got fulfilled.
evelyn
Apr 12, 2008 evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's definitely the "shippiest" of all the Ten/Rose DW books. I really liked it.
Agnes
Feb 25, 2016 Agnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Dr Who fan and these books are an excellent addition to the series. I really enjoyed all of them so far. :)
Kirstie Ellen
Mar 25, 2013 Kirstie Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, sci-fi
The relationship between Rose and the Doctor is just awesome in this one! Definitely my favourite so far!
Laura Ayers
May 24, 2017 Laura Ayers rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Becky Justice
Cute campy novel for a Doctor Who. The 10th Doctor and Rose are strong voices throughout. Set in Roman times, the Doctor and Rose try to solve the mystery of a missing boy and a mysterious girl who doesn't seem to be who she says she is. Lots of Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey stuff. Good, but not great. I did enjoy it, though.
Hannah Meallo
Mar 07, 2017 Hannah Meallo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A cute, fun read with plenty of Doctor and Rose moments, which I adore, but honestly wasn't as intense as some of the better fic I've read, so it was almost too tame for me haha
I also noticed that the author talks about how she was writing for a doctor she hadn't even seen yet on TV, and that's a bit evident in some of the doctor's behaviors and choices he makes. nevertheless, it was short and sweet and we got to see some more Rose XTen canon so it was a good time.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Stone Rose (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #7) by Jacqueline Rayner --> Starting November 9th 2015 1 4 Nov 01, 2015 09:53PM
The Not-So Austen...: Doctor Who 73 68 Sep 28, 2013 02:14PM
  • Doctor Who: Wetworld
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
Jacqueline Rayner is a best selling British author, best known for her work with the licensed fiction based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

Her first professional writing credit came when she adapted Paul Cornell's Virgin New Adventure novel Oh No It Isn't! for the audio format, the first release by Big Finish. (The novel featured the character of Bernice S
More about Jacqueline Rayner...

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Destruction

“Because she deserved more than me. She deserved someone who could give her the whole universe.” 42 likes
“He took her by the hand and led her out of the control room and into a little side room. There, amid a lot of sculpting paraphernalia, was her statue. The statue from the museum. The statue of Fortuna. New and gleaming.

Rose gaped. 'But I never posed for this.'

'No need,' said the Doctor, patting it on the arm -- an arm which still had a hand attached.

'What d'you mean?'

'I mean,' he explained, 'that you won't have to pose for it. As Mickey said -' the Doctor smiled to himself - 'it was sculpted by someone who knew you pretty well.'

He ran a hand through his hair and looked as though he was expecting applause.

Rose walked round the statue. 'Is my bum really that--'

'Yes,' the Doctor interrupted testily. 'This statue is accurate in every detail. Bum. Arms. Legs. Nose. Broken fingernail on your right hand.'

* * *

Rose stood looking at the statue for a bit longer. 'It is perfect,' she said at last.

'I was inspired.'

They smiled at each other. All was right with the world again.”
38 likes