Start by marking “Mateo Falcone” as Want to Read:
Mateo Falcone

Mateo Falcone

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  366 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Het verhaal Mateo Falcone droeg oorspronkelijk als ondertitel Mœurs de la Corse, ‘Corsicaanse zeden’. De zeden die erin worden geschilderd zijn die van een archaïsche plattelandssamenleving waar de traditie van de eremoord nog bestaat. Verraad is een doodzonde en de familie-eer heilig – opvattingen die ook vandaag de dag in de mediterrane wereld hun tol nog eisen.
Het gegev
Paperback, Perlouses, 39 pages
Published March 2010 by Uitgeverij Voetnoot (first published 1829)

To ask other readers questions about Mateo Falcone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mateo Falcone

Sivoj
A very short story, around ten pages, so everything happens quickly. We are introduced to the customs of Corsica, a scene happens, the end. Any spoiler would disclose everything. Prosper Mérimée's prose is simple and direct; it reads itself. However, I would not qualify this story as "emotional" like other reviewers : it's just too short for that. I would like a novel on this theme, written in the same way. As it is I will not have an imperishable memory of it, even if it's nice.

Une histoire tr
Dione Basseri
I'm having this problem with French short story authors from the late 19th century. They seem to write far, far too long introductions. Modern authors could rewrite these stories at a half the size, if not even less. The result is that, at the end of the story, you have no idea what was actually important.

In "Mateo Falcone," the titular character isn't introduced until very late in the story, where he brings his son home after falling afoul of the law, and then...murders him. And...I honestly do
Sarawut Kururatphan
This story is very effective in making me distort in disgust. Die like a Christian? I don't think so. 3/5 for this emotion-stirring. Still, I recommmend anyone who's inclined to Romanticism read this.
Keith
"Mateo Falcone" is cruel and disturbing short story involving family honor taking place in Corsica about 1829.
Sandy Khomenko
Sep 19, 2014 Sandy Khomenko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That was intense! Really good story about a man who cherishes his honor more than he cherishes his son.
Naelah
Apr 04, 2015 Naelah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
le pere a tue son fils qui a 10 ans parcequ'il a commit une trahison,a mon avis et puisque la conte n'a pas assez de details,l'un qui merite la punition c'est le pere.
Les enfants sont innocents est ils imitent ce qu'ils voient. alors c'est le pere qui n'a pas donne assez d'attention a l'enseignement de son fils.
les 3 etoiles sont pour la descriptions des lieux et des evenements.
Patrice Hollmann
May 22, 2010 Patrice Hollmann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it was strange. in the beginning I really liked Mateo. he seemd to be a good man a bit Vito Corleone's type. Fortunato was a bad chil really but such punishment was toooo much I think. the vook gives you absolutely nothing, you just feel angry after reading it.
Eric
Nov 10, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bastante interesante. Me gustó mucho descubrir que el cuento costarricense de Uvieta, por Carmen Lyra; fue inspirado en una de las narraciones de Mérimée. Los cuentos son agradables, inclusive la narración grotesca de una corrida de toros.
Nino
Mar 02, 2012 Nino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Very interesting and strange.
I liked Mateo Falcone's charactre.There was too much punishment at the end but it was impressionable.

Brittany
Dec 22, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
See Fin's Review. Even though Joe told me how it ended, I was not expecting to have all of these Fortunato feels!
Joey alabanza
Jul 11, 2010 Joey alabanza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
since i read the story i never forget the ending...i cant accept if it is the real ending...too much punishment..
Kika
very interesting
although he is very young to punish his but this ows that his father is fear
Ann
Jan 29, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a much older edition. Poignant story of a family gone wrong.
Yasmin

LOVE IT holy shit that was so craaaaaaaay

QUE DIEU TE PARDONNE
Yana
Nov 29, 2013 Yana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a father gone crazy, harsh life lessons, totally unexpected ending
Ronan Noane  K
Aug 02, 2010 Ronan Noane K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BANG!!!
Mari
Mari rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jérémie
Jérémie rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
tako akhaladze
tako akhaladze rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Andrey Andreev
Andrey Andreev rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
C.  Ismael
C. Ismael marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Niniko Qoiava
Niniko Qoiava rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Tinuri Gvenetadze
Tinuri Gvenetadze rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
  • A Day in the Country
  • The Shot
  • გველის პერანგი
  • The Sniper
  • Contes du jour et de la nuit
  • Kew Gardens
  • ადამიანთა სევდა
  • ხევისბერი გოჩა
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
Prosper Mérimée was a French dramatist, historian, archaeologist, and short story writer. He is perhaps best known for his novella Carmen, which became the basis of Bizet's opera Carmen.
Mérimée loved mysticism, history, and the unusual, and may have been influenced by Charles Nodier (though he did not appreciate his works), the historical fiction popularised by Sir Walter Scott and the cruelty and
More about Prosper Mérimée...