Start by marking “Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)” as Want to Read:
Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)

Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,789 ratings  ·  61 reviews
When Alec receives the Black Stallion’s first son as a gift, he believes his dreams have come true, but Satan’s savage arrogance makes him dangerous and unpredictable. Still, Alec is resolved to gain the fiery colt’s trust, even if he must risk his life to do it.
Published 1947 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Son of the Black Stallion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of the Black Stallion

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This is the last book I have in this series, although the series has 19+ books in it. This is a really really old hardcover book with pages ripped, some are tapped (and the tape has yellowed, and bits torn out. I want to read it, but this copy is terribly old. I'll miss a few words here or there, but shouldn't lose too many. If this copy becomes too hard to read, I just checked and the library has a copy! :) Off I go...

I know I could just read the newer edition, but there's something about a wel
After reading and enjoying the first two books in the series, I was really disappointed by this one. It wasn't really the story itself, which was still good - Alec finally takes possession of the promised first foal of the Black, but the colt is wild and fights everyone who tries to befriend him. Alec and Henry still plan to race him as a two year old, but lots of things seem to conspire to get in the way, including a jealous trainer who wants the colt for himself.

No, what got to me was the feel
Although I think that Alec was trying too hard to see the black stallion in this new colt, which I found slightly annoying, because it took him longer than necessary to realize that the horse's son was nothing like his father, I still found it an enjoyable read. and it was a quick book to read as well. Most of the characters are easy to like, for example henry and Alec. Some of the problems that arose in the book didn't seem all that believable though.
I'm enjoying re-reading my childhood favourites. However, it strikes me now what a ninny Alec's dad is. in the beginning, he keeps coyly referring to the giant, coal-black, red-eyed, son of The Black, man-killer named 'Satan' his son has in the stall as Alec's 'pony'. I mean..really, Dad. Wake up and smell the horse manure or you'll end up with a foreleg in your man groin.
This was actually the first Black Stallion book that I ever read, and I was immediately drawn into the wild, unpredictable, even dangerous colt of a famed stallion who seemed to be at war with the whole world. Beautifully written, I was drawn into the struggle of Alec's blind love for a colt who truly deserved the name Satan.
While I missed reading about Alec and Black, it was interesting to see him trying to gain the colt's trust. Some parts were hard to get through when Alec reminisces about the black stallion because the animal to man bond was so strong that this felt like a cheap knockoff of a beautiful friendship. Yes, I know it sounds weird but anybody with a beloved pet can kinda understand why Alec misses Black. While some parts are rather forced, I will state that this isn't a book for an animal rights activ ...more
Miriam Cook
The Black Stallion lives on through his son. Satan lives up to his name and then some. Alec is determined to not give up but will the two realize they are perfect before something bad happens. You will have to read to find out. Son of the Black Stallion by Walter Farley just proves how great an author Mr. Farley is. Young horse lovers will love this book.
Lauren Denard
Great sequel to a great book

I love this book. It makes me want o read the rest of the series of The Black Stallion. If you love horses and horse racing, read this book and more too it.
Renada Thompson
Still just as enjoyable as in my childhood. This time I understood Henry's frustration with Alec's unshakeable love for the horse. There's a nice chapter that develops Mrs. Ramsay's character a bit too.
I liked this one, for the most part. Satan was a nice horse after he got over the whole 'trying to murder everyone he sees' thing. I could've done without the frantic search for a slip of paper thing; I get that enough in real life!

I'm just not sure I agree with Henry's, uh, 'method' of straightening Satan out. It worked, in the end, but it was pretty much animal abuse, and he could've been killed. It certainly wasn't the 'only' way to tame him, just the fastest. I'm sure Alec's way would have w
Sarah Adamson
Not my favourite in the series but probably a bit too realistic about horse life in some ways.
Shelley Chastagner
Another childhood favorite.
my daughter's book.
I started re-reading The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley in April and read five more from that series in May: Son of the Black Stallion, The Black Stallion and Satan, The Island Stallion, The Island Stallion's Fury, and The Blood Bay Colt. Only The Black Stallion and Satan was as enjoyable as when I was a kid, though I remember never really caring for the Island Stallion "spin-offs" or the two books on harness racing. Where's Alec and The Black? Bring 'em back!
Kinda sad how Satan has to be "broken" before he comes around. I have to laugh at the idea of him being glad to get a chance to race his sire - you'd think it would be like my Jack Russell Terrier getting in teh same room with his son!

I also remember getting in a fight with a girl in my 5th grade class because she insisted that I was pronouncing the horse's name wrong - she kept saying "it's Satin!" There's no way a horse would be named after the devil!!
Enjoying reading these books again and sharing them with my grand daughter.
Didn't much care for these, at least once I grew out of the blindly adoring HORSIE phase; too sugary a transition from fiery resistance to adoration after the scene in which Henry tries to beat the spirit out of the colt. I don't care if Alec did come to the rescue at the last moment, if I were the horse I'd still be pretty pissed off at all the humans.
I actually read this 1947 edition of the book originally. I think I borrowed it from my grandparents...or maybe my mom had it. In any case...I love finding the edition I read because the cover pictures always hold special memories. Unfortunately, Goodreads doesn't always have the right edition. I wonder if there's a way to add one....
Still love these books. Some words/phrases are way over used but totally able to overlook that. What person that loves horses doesn't think that racing looks so exciting or being such a good rider as to be able to cling to and ride a wild stallion?
Great quick reads that area fond childhood memory.

My Rating System:
Lynne Stringer
While not my favourite book in the series, I still enjoyed experiencing the challenges both Alec and Henry faced as they tried to train The Black's first son, Satan. It was definitely an uphill battle and one that made for an entertaining read.
oh my gosh this is the best book IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT I HAVE A LOT OF FAVS!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST LIKE IT SO MUCH!
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Callie Kolterman
I loved this book. I thought it was the best one that I've read so far. There was so much action that sometimes it took my breath away not knowing what was going to happen.
When I was a kid I filled up a library card reading and re-reading this book. I read it at least 15 times and never got tired of this book, or ANY of Walter Farley's books.
I loved all horse stories during my horse phase, but I held a special fondness for the wild-horse-taming genre, since I couldn't imagine being able to gentle a horse myself.
Loved these books as a kid...unpacked a bunch of boxes of books that were in the attic...and this was in there. Had to read it, great story, stands the test of time.
I went on a short Black Stallion rampage. But to be honest, they are not particularly interesting. I got through the first three. Perhaps a couple more.
Thoroughly enjoying re-reading these books. Brings back fond childhood memories, and I just love the simpleness and innocence of them.
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Wonder's Promise (Thoroughbred, #2)
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)