Start by marking “The Warm Place” as Want to Read:
The Warm Place

The Warm Place

When Ruva, a young giraffe, is captured and sent to a zoo in San Francisco, she calls upon two rats, a street-smart chameleon, a runaway boy, and all the magical powers of the animal world to return to "the warm place" that is home.
Published October 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Warm Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warm Place

Joshlin Manning
Dec 03, 2016 Joshlin Manning rated it it was ok
NANCY FARMER and FANTASY
The warm place is a mythical story about a giraffe named Ruva, who at a young age gets kidnapped by humans and torn from her home and mother in Africa. She goes on an adventure, in a voyage to a zoo, that she learns to escape. She then takes a return voyage home to Africa dealing with ship mutiny, poisonous fast growing weeds, and animals that can transform. Along the way, she meets 3 other animal friends, who each posses a certain talent/ability/magical power, the most i
Paul
May 26, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
This young adult novel is about a baby giraffe, who, unintentionally, goes on a great adventure.

Ruva is a female baby giraffe happily living with her family in Africa. One day, she ignores the warning by her mother to stay away from things with which she is not familiar. Next thing she knows, Ruva is caught in a net, taken from her family, and put on a steamship heading for parts unknown. While on board, she meets Rodnetus von Stroheim III, a very smart talking rat, who begins tutoring Ruva in g
Ashleync
Oct 17, 2011 Ashleync rated it did not like it
Oh man this book.
In Farmers first novel, Ruva, a baby giraffe from Africa, is captured by foul smelling humans and transported to a zoo in San Fransisco. while on the ship that is transporting her a knowledgeable rat, Rodentous, tells her all she needs to know about the human world and how to escape the zoo. at first Ruva is depressed in the zoo and feels that she will never be able to escape, but she makes friends with a grumpy chameleon and a tricky rat that help her. She learns the power of
Cliff
Sep 16, 2014 Cliff rated it really liked it
I was only starting out here when I first read this book, so I did not write a review. However, I decided that this might be a fun book to read aloud to my boys, so I took it down from the shelf and read.

The book has its flaws, but they can be overlooked as the intended reader is probably in elementary school. What we have is a pleasant story of a young giraffe who is separated from her family and home in Africa and sold to a small zoo. She soon realizes that she must find a way to return home a
Kristen
Nov 24, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young adolescents and children
Genre/Category: Fantasy

Written from the perspective of a young giraffe, Ruva, who is taken from her mother in Africa and shipped to a zoo in America, this entertaining novel provides a fun and unique coming of age story. Ruva makes friends with two rats, a chameleon, and a young boy, along her journey who are all trying to find their own way back home. Using the magical animal powers she remembers her mother telling her about, Ruva and her friends are able to escape from the zoo, find their way
Becca Hay
May 01, 2010 Becca Hay rated it really liked it
Shelves: adolescent-lit
Nancy Farmer, author of the fictional novel "The Warm Place," wrote a beautiful tale of family and the yearning for home felt in all children through the tale of one little giraffe named Ruav. Stolen at a young age by the evil Slopes, Ruav is put in a zoo where she makes friends with a chameleon, Nelson, and a rat, Troll, both of whom assist her on her quest to return to her "warm place," home in Africa. Stowing away on a ship returning to Africa, this odd mix of friends picks up two more ...more
Claire Mizukawa
Dec 07, 2011 Claire Mizukawa rated it did not like it
Shelves: english-420
This was a cute book. A little young for YA I thought, but I see how some kids would totally love it. The main character, Ruva, is a giraffe who gets kidnapped by the dastardly Snope siblings. She gets taken from her beloved Africa to America, where she is sold to the zoo. Naturally she hates it there, and with the help of some other animal friends, escapes and sneaks back onto a ship where she meets a young boy who has been taken as a slave as well. They, along with two rats and a chameleon, ...more
Heidi Grether
Dec 07, 2015 Heidi Grether rated it liked it
NANCY FARMER CATEGORY

Farmer's book tells the story of a captive young giraffe, named Ruva, who makes her way back to Africa with an eclectic group of friends: two rats, a chameleon, and a young boy. I liked this book, and it was a whimsical read. This book is much unlike Farmer's other books, especially "House of the Scorpion." While "House of the Scorpion" is bleak and asks important questions about society, "The Warm Place" is much more hopeful and the talking animals make it more accessible t
Jessica Richins
Jun 14, 2010 Jessica Richins rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-literature
Ruva, a baby giraffe, is captured in Africa and sent to a zoo in San Francisco. On the boat to America she makes friends with a rat that teaches her about life. While at the zoo she makes friends with a African chameleon and another rat. The three of them escape the zoo and make it onto a boat bound for Africa. While on the boat the meet a young boy who is being held prisoner. Will they all be able to make it back to their “ warm place" that is home.
This book is for a younger audience (10-13). T
Jenna Cooper
Nancy Farmer requirement
The Warm Place by Nancy Farmer follows the story of Ruva, a young giraffe, who has been captured and sent to a zoo in San Francisco. With her friends she makes along her journey, she embarks to return home to Africa.
This book lacks the ability to suspend disbelief. Supposed "magic" is meant to solve problems in a snap, but just looks ridiculous. Biblical stories are given strange twists to build up the world, but the thought of most of them are startling and don't sit ver
McKell
Jun 14, 2010 McKell rated it really liked it
Shelves: engl-420
An excellent book! Ruva, a young giraffe is captured and sent to a zoo in California. With the help of friends Ruva escapes, but finds herself on a ship full of demons. Ruva and her friends must fight the demons in order to save themselves and make it back home. Along the way Ruva learns about her own powers as a giraffe and how to find home. I'm not usually one for animal fantasy, but this was such a fun read and a good story that I wanted to keep reading.
Stef
Shelves: eng-420
Ccooke2
Jun 12, 2010 Ccooke2 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng-420
This book follows animals captured and taken from their home or "the warm place" which is Africa. The story is about outsmarting captors in order to find freedom. From what I have read so far it is witty, funny and insightful. At the same time it seems somewhat dry but that is where some of its humor comes from.
Genre: comedy, fiction
Pandora
May 02, 2012 Pandora rated it really liked it
Another missed review. I might have read it before I got on Goodreads. The thing I remeber I most from this book is the voice of the Girffie. She had such a sweet gentle voice. I also enjoyed the friendship of the animals. The book though is not completely light. Don't want to give anything away.
Susan
Jul 02, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a cute little story about Ruva, a young giraffe, who was kidnapped from her African home and shipped to an American zoo. With the help of her friends--two rats, a chameleon, and a slave boy--she is able to find her way back to her home, "the warm place." But there are a lot of narrow escapes before she finally gets home.
Renuka
Feb 15, 2011 Renuka rated it liked it
A baby giraffe is captured by poachers from Central Africa and brought to a zoo in New York City. She finds a way to escape and make her way back home to find her mother. She makes some friends and gets help along the way. I liked the idea of the story but didn't find it to be too interesting.
Blake
Oct 19, 2011 Blake rated it did not like it
Shelves: engl-420
There’s not much I can say about his book. I know I should take the intended audience into consideration, but this book is terrible. It’s highly didactic, horribly cheesy, and the problems are overcome all too easy.
Shawn
Jan 21, 2009 Shawn rated it liked it
I usually love most of Nancy Farmer's books but this one was not as fun to read. Entire story is told from the view point of a young giraffe. It's more for younger children but they might have a hard time following it.
Karen
Apr 12, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
A sweet chapter book - I picked this up when I was substituting in an ESL classroom recently. The starring giraffe is from Africa. She learns animal magic from a number of supporting animals. It all helps her as she makes her way back home.
Julie
Dec 14, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
This gets 2 stars instead of 1 because I was compelled enough to read the ending, but only because the girls insisted. I was about to put it down. The main character is a whiny baby giraffe. Need I say more?
Kiera Beddes
Genre: fantasy
Summary: This book is about a little giraffe that must get back to Africa, escaping evil demons on a metal ship.
Response: Very interesting read. It is short and a surprising mixture of animal magic, evil demons and snails. Odd, but Nancy Farmer makes it work.
Diana Sandberg
Jul 07, 2013 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it
I like Nancy Farmer. This is a charming tale, with something of the edge of Roald Dahl, but not so repellent as his darker side.
Mary
Oct 01, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
When a baby giraffe is captured from his home in Africa and taken across the ocean to be sold to a disreputable zoo, he makes many friends along the way who help him to to get home.
Kim
Oct 26, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in a really long time, like since I was eight, but I remember loving it and considering the title has stuck with me all these years it was an amazing book.
Kaitlin Ward
This book is really cute. Nancy Farmer is quite creative. Totally recommend it to anyone who loves animals!
Cabrina
Feb 26, 2011 Cabrina rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I read by Nancy, omg I fell in love with it and with her books, I had to everything by her. lol
Utah Boggs
Dec 12, 2008 Utah Boggs rated it really liked it
It was a chameleon, 2 rats, and a young female giraffe. The giraffe was the main character. It was awesome.
Jekka Jones
Dec 16, 2009 Jekka Jones rated it it was amazing
A very cute children's book about a giraffe who is kidnapped from home and together with some new-found friends from the zoo, they figure out a way to break free and find their way home.
Angelina
Angelina rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
  • Encyclopaedia of Snow
  • The Crystal Drop
  • A Room With a Zoo
  • Song of the Gargoyle
  • On the Wings of Heroes
  • Jackie's Wild Seattle
  • Sword Mountain (Swordbird, #2)
  • The Cruisers (Cruisers, #1)
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • Daphne's Book
  • Canyons
  • The Princess and the Peabodys
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Perfect Place (My America: Joshua's Oregon Trail Diary, #2)
  • 365 Days/365 Plays
  • The Treasure of Skeleton Reef (Wishbone Mysteries, #1)
  • Reaching Dustin
Nancy was born in 1941 in Phoenix and grew up in a hotel on the Arizona-Mexico border where she worked the switchboard at the age of nine. She also found time to hang out in the old state prison and the hobo jungle along the banks of the Colorado River. She attended Reed College in Portland, Oregon, earning her BA in 1963. Instead of taking a regular job, she joined the Peace Corps and was sent to ...more
More about Nancy Farmer...