Start by marking “When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone: The Essence of A U.S. Navy Seal” as Want to Read:
When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone: The Essence of A U.S. Navy Seal

When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone: The Essence of A U.S. Navy Seal

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone: the Essence of a U.S. Navy SEAL is a collection of true events about the author's time in U.S. Navy SEAL Teams and how SEALs use their humor to cope with all sorts of tragic events that they experience in their professional careers. This book offers the reader a personal glimpse into the minds of America's most elite warriors. The stor ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Paladin Timeless Books

To ask other readers questions about When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Bullet Hits Your Funny Bone

Beverly McClure
May 14, 2013 Beverly McClure rated it really liked it
When you hear the words navy seal what do you think of? Big, tough guys? Serious men? Dangerous? Practical joke players? Whoa! Wait a second. Practical jokes? Now, I admit my knowledge of the military is sparse. I was four years old when my brother joined the army, so I had no idea what his life and training were like. Sure, I’ve seen a few movies about the wars and military life, but never really connected until I read Billy Allmon’s memoir, WHEN THE BULLET HITS YOUR FUNNYBONE.

In his book, Bill
Sarah Eiseman
Mar 06, 2013 Sarah Eiseman rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-memoir
Originally posted on Sarahsbookshelf.com:

I’ve been reading a number of military memoirs of late, and many of them have been very serious. While it’s good to learn about other people’s experiences and how they overcame adversity, I think it’s equally important to understand that there can be some fun times in military life, too. It is in that vein that I read Billy Allmon’s book about his experience in the Navy SEALs.

Allmon is someone who, in my opinion, must be a blast to know. He’s clearly a pr
Randy
Jun 03, 2012 Randy rated it really liked it
I'm about halfway into this one, and I may stop soon. It's a nice enough series of anecdotes, but they are getting a bit repetitive.

God bless the SEALs. They do the hardest, most dangerous, dirtiest work under horrible conditions, and we are free because they do.

But I hope you aren't surprised to learn they are aggressive, offensive young American males. They party hard, try to get away with as much as possible, and constantly push the envelope of whatever they are doing.

My son is in the Navy, a
06jedh
May 18, 2013 06jedh rated it it was amazing
When the bullet hits your funny bone was written in 2013 by Billy Allmon. This amazing book has 214 pages of laughter. The intended audience of this book is Young to Older Adults, the main issue of this book is: How SEALS use their humor to cope with sad events throughout life. The time and place is all over the states and world throughout 1969-1993. The main characters of this book are Protagonists: Billy Allmon and all SEAL teams the Antagonists: SEAL officers and bad guys (terrorists) .
Billy
Tricia
Sep 02, 2015 Tricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: military, we-read
I truly wanted to like this book. But in the end I felt as if the author's bullets were hitting me everywhere But my funny bone. Coming from a military and police family I understand this kind of humor, so it wasn't that I was offended. Maybe it was because the writing was so subpar. I was surprised an editor didn't step in and make this at least a well written book. So, while I applaud all of our nation's military heroes, I don't applaud this particular book.
Jesse Tischauser
Sep 17, 2015 Jesse Tischauser rated it liked it
Decent read. It's a compilation of all the practical jokes, ass grabbing and funny shit that happens as a Special Operations soldier.
Evan
Feb 05, 2014 Evan rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Most special operations soldier bios are about the few declassified missions they can discuss (usually from 20-30 years ago), but this one is the opposite; it focuses on the crazy stuff they did or saw that was hilarious. This makes it irrelevant what was classified because these funny tales can be altered for mission security and still be true to the humor of what happened!

These men lead weird lives, and the last story is tragic, accidental death of comrade, while funny at the same t
Kathryn
May 02, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I enjoyed the book. It is filled with humorous tales (sometimes with a bit of sad news intertwined) that shine light on different methods of coping and release. My only issue is that I sometimes felt hit over the head with multiple explanations about language and terminology. For instance - I got it the first time that "C-rations" were canned food. The explanation was added any time C-rations were mentioned and got to be a bit much.

That's my only gripe.
Erin
Aug 18, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Actually very entertaining, and a great way to be reminded our men & women in the military are human, too. The book was not edited well, so there are major grammatical errors, words left out or duplicated, and some spelling errors. If you can look past that - and please do - this is a greatly entertaining read.
Kinoy
Kinoy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Brad Mitchell
Brad Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Christopher Sean Mark Hinkle
Christopher Sean Mark Hinkle rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Zach Banks
Zach Banks rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Johan Jordaan
Johan Jordaan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Alison Montanus
Alison Montanus is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Trev
Trev marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Louisa
Louisa marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Lisacs
Lisacs marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Jason Fernandez
Jason Fernandez marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Edf
Edf rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
shaiqueen
shaiqueen rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
  • Navy SEAL Sniper: An Intimate Look at the Sniper of the 21st Century
  • Down Range: Navy Seals in the War on Terrorism
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • One Perfect Op: Navy SEAL Special Warfare Teams
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • Operation Homecoming: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families
  • Gentlemen Bastards: On the Ground in Afghanistan with America's Elite Special Forces
  • Benghazi: The Definitive Report
  • Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper
  • The Gift of Valor: A War Story
  • Eyes on Target: Inside Stories from the Brotherhood of the U.S. Navy SEALs
  • Five Years To Freedom
  • Trident K9 Warriors: My Tale from the Training Ground to the Battlefield with Elite Navy SEAL Canines
  • The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader
  • Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass
  • Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
  • Inside SEAL Team Six: My Life and Missions with America's Elite Warriors
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind