Start by marking “My Child Wasn't Born Perfect: Learning Disabilities and Autism, The Quest and Success of a Child” as Want to Read:

My Child Wasn't Born Perfect is a story of the journey of JD from early childhood to young adulthood, as told through his mother's eyes and voice. JD's mother shares the struggles of educating a child with language and social challenges in the 1990s when there was limited knowledge of Hyperlexia (the ability to read before his peers) or Autism Spectrum Disorders. All she k ...more
Paperback
Published 2012 by Principia Media (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Child Wasn't Born Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Child Wasn't Born Perfect

Cindy
Jan 03, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok
A very quick and easy-to-read story about one family's trials and successes in the world of autism. This book would be great for families new to the world of special education, IEPs, etc. Much encouragement is given for advocating for your child, thinking outside the box, making frequent observations at school, etc.
Marge
Apr 09, 2013 Marge rated it really liked it
I like the way the author recaps the chapters with the words to the parent to do - yes to make an action step. She also lists web sites for each chapter for more information. This mom really got involved with the schools and IEPs. At times I wonder if she didn't get too involved for the sake of the child, but it worked and made for more successes.
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
W
Oct 21, 2012 W rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Janet
Sep 06, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
Autism from the perspective of a very involved mother with a few ending words from the adult son.
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2012
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2012
Jane Thomson
Jane Thomson marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Barbara Harford
Barbara Harford marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Laura added it
Jan 09, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016