A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak, #4)

A Cold-Blooded Business (Kate Shugak #4)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,650 ratings  ·  81 reviews
A string of drug-related accidents at an oil company's rig in the Arctic Circle forces Kate Shugak to go undercover to scope out a cocaine connection along the TransAlaskan Pipeline.
Audio CD
Published September 4th 2012 by Brilliance Corporation (first published 1994)

Joy
May 13, 2009 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery reader
Kate is working on the Alaska Pipeline. She's a bus driver on the face of it, but is really looking for the source of a major cocaine distribution among the workers: workers who are bright, riotous, rich, and thoroughly entertaining. There's a description of a turtle race that had me rolling with laughter. For Kate, disposed to hate the Pipeline because of its wake of destruction, the workers she spends time with give the Pipeline a face, and Kate develops a new viewpoint. Even being nearly kill...more
Laura Edwards
I really like the character of Kate Shugak. Although Stabenow's writing is sometimes choppy, Kate keeps me coming back. A reader can learn interesting things about Alaska and the native people. In A Cold-Blooded Business, however, Stabenow jumps on an anti-Christian bandwagon and just keeps pounding away. The premise was interesting, but she seemed to be brushing every Christian with too broad of strokes. Terrible stereotyping. Strange, too, since she features a protagonist who must fight agains...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

I'm up to the fourth installment in the Kate Shugak series; in this episode Kate is working undercover on the Trans-Alaska pipeline way north of the Arctic Circle, she's trying to discover who is importing and dealing cocaine on the oil companies property.

These books are a really quick easy read, this one only comes in at just over 200 pages in paperback, but they've got far more substance to them than many thicker tomes have and I'm really surprised how much interesting stuff is packed between

Marlène
Cette fois-ci, Kate Shugak part travailler pour l'antéchrist, selon sa grand-mère: THE compagnie pétrolière.
La station d'extraction de Prudhoe Bay, sur la côte nord de l'Alaska et bien au-delà du cercle polaire arctique, semble abriter un gros trafic de cocaïne qui vient de faire une victime... et bien sûr, on leur recommande d'embaucher Kate, incognito.
Je ne chanterai jamais assez les louanges de Dana Stabenow et de l'apparente facilité avec laquelle elle incorpore des éléments essentiels de l'...more
Lydia
My copy of A Cold-Blooded Business was signed by Dana Stabenow when I et her at a mystery writers' conference in Seattle. I had traveled from Kodiak, hoping to learn more about the mystery novel I had just finished writing. She had traveled from Anchorage. She was encouraging. Although I left the conference with conflicting feelings about my writing, meeting Dana was a definite high point.

Kate Shugak is an Aleut and a private investigator associated with the DA's office. She embodies the Alaska...more
lynn
The 4th in a series of murder mysteries investigated by Kate Shugak, a former investigator for the DA's office in Anchorage, Alaska. She now takes on select jobs, usually brought to her by her former boss, which bring her into contact with all sides of life in her native land. In this case, she is assigned to investigate a case on the Alaskan Pipeline.
Lisa
One of the reasons I like this mystery series so much is that Ms. Stabenow often creates likable, believable villains. In three of the first four mysteries in the Kate Shugak series, the perpetrator(s) of the crime is someone Kate likes or admires. I really appreciate that Ms. Stabenow understands the darker impulses that live in all of us and can drive us to commit horrible crimes. And there are also your more "typical" criminals in the series, to be sure, for balance.
I also enjoyed learning a...more
Bruce Snell
Book number Four in the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow - 4 stars. Kate is hired by RPetCo oil company to investigate cocaine sales/abuse at the Prudhoe Bay oilfield - and along the way, she becomes involved in an investigation of stolen native artifacts. This is not really a book about the mysteries of drugs or antiquities theft, it is an anthropological and sociological look at Alaska - the oil fields, the Natives, the culture, and the type of people who choose the hardships of living abov...more
Didn't like this one as much as I did Stabenow's "A Fatal Thaw" but it's still a good story (Kate is chasing drug dealers on the North Slope in an oil-town).
Eliana
Kate Shugak! The quintessential female heroine! Great mystery plots on the res in Alaska.
Krista
Kate travels to Prudhoe Bay to solve a mystery in the Alaskan oilfields. I love how I learn more about Alaska with each new installment of the Kate Shugak mystery series.
Mindy
Kate Shugak never disappoints! Jack has Kate investigating for the devil or the dreaded oil company. A death from Cocaine has the president of the company ready to pay anything to get the cocaine off of the Slope. Kate thinks she can get to the bottom of the problem in a couple of days but once on the Slope she discovers a whole different world, contained, tantalizing and dangerous. The fight scene at the end of this story is epic! I still laugh about the witch of a villain with her tongue stuck...more
Kathie
Kate is hired to work undercover by the head of the oil company to find out who is smuggling and selling cocaine to the workers at the old field. Paid well and fed well, Kate still feels like she is working for the enemy while working on The Slope but she has a new appreciation for those who work in isolation for weeks at a time. People do crazy things when they are bored. The turtle races add a humorous touch. While working on The Slope Kate she runs her own investigation of the thefts and mark...more
Liz
See "A Cold Day for Murder" review.
Barbara ★
My fascination with Alaska keeps me reading this series. I just love Ms. Stabenow's descriptive prose. Heck it's almost like being there. In this adventure, Kate is hired to ferret out who is dealing drugs at the oil pipeline up near the Artic Ocean. I'm not sure the details of pipeline production were accurate or not but it was definitely interesting and I always like reading about the Eskimo culture as well. This one was light on the investigating but Kate sure had a good time up there.
Deb
In this outing Kate Shugak is asked by the CEO of the Royal Petroleum Company to investigate dope dealing along the Alaska Pipeline. Kate finds a surreal world of excess --- very hard work, harsh climate, luxury lodgings, gourmet food, and hedonistic recreation. In the process of uncovering the dope dealers, she also uncovers a ring of archeological artifact smugglers. I once again enjoyed the way the Dana Stabenow brings an unfamiliar to me setting alive.
Erin
Kate's suicidal methods at crime solving seem to be getting more and more extreme as these books go on. Although I suppose that makes them all the more exciting and thus addictive, so I'm not complaining too much ;-)

Have to say I was more than a little surprised that she wasn't a bit more suspicious of the people around her at the end there. For all her hard-ass attitude, Kate's a pretty trusting character.
Monty
This is the fourth in a series which seems to get better with each installment. This time the theme had to do with Alaska oil fields, drug dealing and theft of indigenous artifacts. I will continue to read on. I especially liked how this story ended. Instead of the usual abrupt ending that many books have, this one took time time to address the many personal threads that were woven throughout the novel.
Penny Ramirez
Another excellent entry in the Kate Shugak series. I love her strength of character, and the many conflicts she struggles to overcome as she works out her place in the world.

And oh, yeah, the fact that it's been as cold as the Slope here just added to my enjoyment!

I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.
Agnes
I recognize thestory plot, so know I read this one, too.
Peter Reeves
I greatly enjoy the Kate Sugak stories. Coming from Australia, Alsaka is a long way away and I can only imagine what it is like.! But the lifestyle and the adventure is great. This is a story where Kate takes an undercover job on the oilfields to expose drug runners. The descriptive picture is fantastic and the language and subtle humour make it most enjoyable.
Pam
#123 09/03/06
A COLD-BLOODED BUSINESS by Dana Stabenow
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 1994, 231 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's, Alaska
CHARACTERS: Kate Shugak/PI
COMMENTS: Kate is hired to go udnercover by an oil company working N of the Arctic Circle to find out who is behind the cocaine connection that is wrecking havoc on the TransAlaska Pipeline.
T
This might be my least favorite one in the Shugak series. Kate's working for Jack, crewing on a fishing boat that lost two crew members previously. It's hard work and long hours and the skipper and the two senior crew members are cold and secretive.

Mutt, her faithful sidekick, is missing since this story is set on a ship in the waters....

Carmussel
A really fascinating read. Kate Shugak goes undercover to the North Slope on Prudhoe Bay. Kate shares my disgust for the oil business, but finds the business - much to her chagrin - quite seductive. The plot was okay, but the character development was outstanding, as well as the description of places and artifacts. A very satisfying read.
Brooke Fawcett
I really love the entire Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow. As a misplaced 3rd generation Alaskan, I love to escape back into this world. Even though many readers won't understand some of the references I don't think it would detract from the story for them. Her writing is smooth and moves you through the novel quickly. Love this author. :)
Sandy
This is the fourth Kate Shugak and the tales show no sign of getting boring.
I think the authenticity of the narration is what makes this series worth reading. That, and a sense of humour! All the books so far have made me laugh at some stage - this one was the turtle race and the doped up antics of the drivers on the site, pricless!
Cynthia
And again, another excellent installment in the Kate Shugak series. All of these books explore a unique aspect of life in Alaska. This time, Kate goes undercover in an Alaskan oilfield. It's a brutal world, full of ice and snow of more than one variety. So good.

I already have the next one in the series. I heart Kate Shugak.
Kathy  Petersen
Much as I like Shugak and company, A Cold-Blooded Business was a little too light on the detecting side. However, exploring the oil production process and meeting some well-drawn characters who are involved in it (and the drug and artifact trafficking) 'way up at the arctic circle certainly sustained my interest.
LJ
A COLD-BLOODED BUSINESS - Ex
Stabenow, Dana - 4th in series

Alaskan P.I. Kate Shugak goes undercover to get to the bottom of illicit drug trading on the TransAlaska pipeline. But while Kate's combing the oil fields for clues, the dealers unmask her cover.

This lady writes a good book, and each is better than the last.
The Danamaniacs: A Cold-Blooded Business *SPOILERS* 1 5 May 08, 2013 08:20PM
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Endangered Species (Anna Pigeon, #5)
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • Vanishing Point (Sharon McCone, #24)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...
A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3) Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6) A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2) Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)