Start by marking “What's Happening to Grandpa?” as Want to Read:

Published April 28th 2004 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What's Happening to Grandpa?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Happening to Grandpa?

Kristi Bernard
Feb 28, 2012 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
Kate loves her grandparents. Most kids do. She doesn't look at them as being old. Kate and her grandmother have tea parties together. They also play chinese checkers and croquet. Kate thought her grandmother to be very cool. Kates grandfather on the other hand was a character. He loved baseball, classical music, telling stories and he ate lots of potato chips.

One Sunday, Kate noticed her grandfather kept telling the same stories and he couldn't remember what he had just done. She knew as people
Jes
Feb 09, 2010 Jes rated it it was amazing
My Grandpa John had Althimerz and when he was in the Hope Hospice, my aunt got this book for us, hoping that we could read it in front of Grandpa. At that point he couldn't talk so we could just talk to him. My aunt read the book hoping that it would help us understand what he was going through a little bit better. Ever since he passed away, everytime I read this book I cry.
Polly
Aug 30, 2011 Polly rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I very much appreciate what this author is trying to do, and I'm glad someone's doing it, but it comes across as less than inspired, as so many books of this type (books written to help explain difficult things to kids) do.
Janean
Nov 04, 2012 Janean rated it it was amazing
This is a great explanation of Alzheimers suited for either a child or an adult. It is a quick read, if you can make it through the tears that this experience brings. It also provides a list of resources for help.
Cheryl
Jun 04, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Recommended to Cheryl by: El Paso Public Library
Very soft, gently colored illustrations support the substantial text. I liked the positive interactions between the young girl and her parents as well as her grandparents. A lot of text so beginning readers may need some help.

Websites of useful organizations included in back of book.
Cathy
Aug 02, 2008 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I Loved reading this book, it really helped to explain my Grandpa's behavior to the kids. I loan it ot everybody I know in the same situation.
Sami
Jan 05, 2009 Sami rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Once again, a good short story quick read.
Megan Marvel
On point, good message, just a little long.
Sharon
Feb 06, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Wish I read this a year earlier, esp. scrapbook idea.
Becky
Oct 12, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: work-reads
Appropriate to use for children who have a family member diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
great story bout live and loss
L
Feb 27, 2017 L rated it it was amazing
Read for a paper at Brite Divinity on Caring for Caregiver's of Alzheimer's Patients - wanted some info for informing children
Rebekah Richards
Dec 09, 2016 Rebekah Richards rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
I especially enjoyed this informational picture book because I can totally relate to it. My grandpa suffers from alzheimers and I understand how hard it can be. This childrens book was comforting and I think it would be comforting to children experiencing the same thing as well.
Bethel Prescott
Bethel Prescott rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Kamrin
Kamrin rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Angelia
Angelia rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2008
Sandy Nosse
Sandy Nosse rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2010
Stephy
Stephy rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Layne Poplin
Layne Poplin rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Rachel Miniscalco
Rachel Miniscalco rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Trisha
Trisha rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Charles Areson
Charles Areson rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Aulaire
Aulaire rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
mary
mary rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Desi
Desi rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Maria Owings Shriver is an American journalist, activist, author of six best-selling books, and former First Lady of California.
-Wikipedia

More about Maria Shriver...