Start by marking “Sugarland” as Want to Read:
Sugarland

Sugarland

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  15 reviews
As children, Kit and Kiki Smithers performed as the Sugar Babes, but those glory days are long gone. All that remains are the blues the sisters sing as they cope with withering marriages, cheating spouses, lost opportunities, and the demands of motherhood.

Sugar Land is a verdant novel about the healing power of forgiveness, the seemingly impossible task of loving, the resi
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Sugarland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugarland

When Pigs Fly by Bob SanchezThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsLittle Mountain by Bob SanchezGetting Lucky by Bob SanchezDivorce Hotel by B.R.  Snow
Best Indie Books to Read in 2012
398th out of 967 books — 1,189 voters
Liberty or Death by David        CookHeart of Oak by David        CookBrett Enters the Square Circle by David D. D'AguannoSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Kindle Books under 3 bucks
449th out of 541 books — 479 voters

More lists with this book...

Lory
i've no explanation for why i loved this book so. funny, pathetic, lurid, engaging. it's all there from the double-wide to the baby-daddy dilemma to the wife-beater and the Swedish Lothario. oddly endearing, and exceptionally well-written by an author who doesn't think so much of herself that she can't turn out a read like this. oh the jewels one can find on the "top 100 free" list!
HeavyReader
I wrote the following review for the Spring 1999 MSRRT Newsletter:

It isn't often that the same book can make me break down in sobs and burst into raucous laughter. Sugar Land brought out both of these intense emotions.

This story of two adult sisters dealing with marriage, motherhood, and cheatin' hearts is a long way from my single woman reality, but after reading only a few pages, I felt invested in their lives. As with the best novels, this one has vivid, well-developed characters complete wi
WriteIntoPrint.com
Sugarland by Joni Rodgers exemplifies exactly what I'm looking for in a novel from any genre - and yes, you've guessed, I'm not discussing the plot but I am urging you to buy and read it, even if you're an octogenarian named Cyril who has never read anything but Ian Fleming.

Laurie
I loved this book--it was much better--deeper, more literary, more metaphorical--than I was expecting.
Karen
How sad lives can become when people fail to communicate.
Cornelia
This modern retelling of the Psyche and Eros myth, is also a realistic look at the life of two sisters. Both were local celebrities (child stars) in Sugarland Texas, a town outside of Houston. When the story begins, both sisters are now housewives, still living in Sugarland. Their marriages are not what they use to be. Though they have very different difficulties in their marriages, both of their marriages are stifling them at this point and they don’t know what to do about it. This is a story o ...more
Jennifer W
Mar 09, 2008 Jennifer W rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman who thinks "if only"
Shelves: fun-reads
This was one of the better books I've read of late. One of the reviews on the back compares it to "the best country music," and I can think of no better way to describe the feel of this story. Our two protagonists were very believable and easy to relate. Many of the characters were full of surprises. A great book about wanting what you've got and simultaneously not settling for less than you deserve.
Ora
another winner with great vivid characters from Joni Rodges. sisters in the south with a character of a mom. I loved the reference to country music lyrics. the scenes are alive with color and expression. Very quick read..
Krista
Nov 01, 2012 Krista added it
Once I read the second chapter, the voice of this novel drew me in. I could picture every character, and even though their stories didn't resonate with me, I still wanted to know what happened to them.
Patty
By the end of this book, I almost felt like the author was just trying to come up with as many weird twists as she could manage. It was ok, but I really don't recommend it if you have anything else to read.
Carolyn
Got this book because it had a 4 1/2 star rating on Amazon and it was a free Kindle deal. Definitely not my type of book! Very "soap opera-ish". I quit reading it about 2/3 through.
Sheila
This was a okay book to read. Its about a family and there misfortunes and the realtionship between all the characters in the book.
Kellye Smith
fantastic book! read it in one day
Linda
Loved it. Loved the characters!
Snef Snef
Snef Snef marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Shannon Velazquez
Shannon Velazquez marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Sonya L Moore
Sonya L Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Linda Carrigan
Linda Carrigan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Blues Chick
Blues Chick marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Joni Rodgers books free on Kindle today, 3/8/13 1 1 Mar 08, 2013 05:31AM
  • A Walk in the Snark
  • Falling Uphill
  • The Eve Tree: A Novel
  • Regrets Only (The Marriage Pact, #2)
  • Here, Have a Husband
  • The Last Page
  • Bombshells
  • Undercover
  • Cupcake
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • Is It Just Me? or Is Everyone a Little Nuts!
  • The Kitchen Shrink
  • Smart Mouth Waitress (Life in Saltwater City, #2)
  • India's Summer
  • Subculture
  • Angel on Board
  • The Big Five-OH!
  • Sleeping In The Middle (Comfort Club)
NYT bestselling author Joni Rodgers was born into a family of gospel/bluegrass musicians and grew up on stage, opening for huge-haired country music legends of the 60s and 70s. She continued performing until 1994, when she was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and used the chemo downtime to complete her first two novels, both of which were published to critical acclaim. Joni's memoir, Bald in ...more
More about Joni Rodgers...
Bald in the Land of Big Hair: A True Story The Secret Sisters The Hurricane Lover Crazy for Trying Kill Smartie Breedlove