Start by marking “Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)

Deadlocked (Deadlocked #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  2,391 Ratings  ·  260 Reviews
David was caught in the middle of the city when the zombie outbreak started. His wife and daughters were at home, stranded on the roof as zombies waited below. He would have to fight through hordes of undead, merciless other survivors, and a series of death defying stunts to get home. However, even if he makes it there, how can he be sure they're safe?

Deadlocked puts you i
Published December 20th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services (first published November 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deadlocked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadlocked

Giselle
Feb 23, 2012 Giselle rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, arc
Note: This is a combined review of book 1 and 2 of the Deadlocked series.

A zombie apocalypse is far from a unique plot. George Romero made his epic zombie movie way back in 1968 and it's safe to say we've had our share of undead cannibals since. A.R. Wise tackles this widely used horror icon by giving us novellas from different point of views that, although short, are stacked with emotions, horror and realism.

As I mentioned, you can only go so far with originality in zombie stories, but I have
Paige  Bookdragon
description

Deadlocked is a short story about David on the wake of a zombie apocalypse. It's not your usual zombie book and one of the reason why I like this book is because it's short and the author knows how to scare the shit out of you. I love the feeling of not knowing if the characters would survive or not.

And then there's the ending that would certainly make this book a favorite to all zombie fans. Totally one of a kind. Thanks A.R. Wise.

description

David
Feb 18, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can't get enough of zombies
This free Audible download describes a man fighting to get back to his family during a zombie outbreak. It was entertaining enough and the writing was okay, but basically it brought nothing new at all to the genre. The free sample consisted of the first chapter and part of the second, enough to give you a taste. I'm afraid it didn't captivate me. It was okay, but unless you're into all things zombie and just can't get enough of zombie apocalypses, I can't recommend it as a stand-out.
The Digital Ink  Spot
Jan 21, 2012 The Digital Ink Spot rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ZOMBIES
Deadlocked is a zombie novella of a four part series. The author is A.R. Wise. The Digital Ink Spot interviewed Mr. Wise recently and gave some insight to the story, that interview can be found here.

I was first attracted to the ebook cover. It looks like a screaming stone statue to me. Ever since watching the weeping angels on Doctor Who, I am weary of statues. My second attraction of course was that it was free.

Now remember this is a zombie story. All the elements are there to tell a zombie sto
Kat
Jan 19, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie, 2012-read
David is your average kinda guy, salesman with a young family who finds himself thrust into the zombie apocalypse with no warning, and no easy escape. Watching events unfolding with horrifying speed at work, he begins his pilgrimage home to find his wife and daughters.

There’s no ‘down-time’ in Deadlocked. It’s fast paced action from the opening scenes right to the very end, making for a quick and enthralling read.

David is a good main character, there’s nothing unlikable about him, and his desi
Patricia
Oct 23, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing

Wow is all I can say about the first installment of the DEADLOCKED SERIES. This is David's story and what he would do to get to back to his wife and girls.

A.R takes us on a rollercoaster ride in this novella. He grabs you from the very first page and takes us right into the danger and trials of one man and his flight to get home to save them. A.R sets us up from the very beginning and just keeps adding to the terror that is going on. There is so much going on as the zombie apocalypses starts.
Hayat
This is a zombie apocalypse novella with realistic story line, believable characters and a fantastic plot twist. And best of all, it is free! What more could you ask for?

'The apocalypse began when people were stabbed by tiny needles in crowded subways...Rumors of other causes of the disease started as well. people got cut by razors taped to the handles of gas pumps, water supplies were tainted, cafeteria food was infected; there was never ending stream of new theories of how it had been spread.
Maria
May 21, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Interestingly enough, I was only asked to review the first book in the Deadlocked series. But it was so short (they're all novellas) and so good, that I had to read the rest!
Deadlocked starts off as your average zombie apocolypse story - although you learn pretty early on that the virus may have been may have been brought on intentionally as an act of bio-terrorism. I found the mystery to be exciting and thrilling - especially considering I could totally see see this happening in our world toda
Ren
Oct 05, 2012 Ren rated it it was amazing
I bought this book expecting, honestly, for it not to be that great. Since I've had my kindle touch I've slowly been seeking out the hidden gems of indie authors amongst these books. In this ebook revolution, as it truthfully is, sometimes you have to expect the bad with the good. When I saw the first book in the Deadlocked series, I was drawn in by the idea. I'm a little late to the zombie craze but what better time to start then October? I love to binge on scary books during this time of the y ...more
Jan 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Lately I’ve found zombie novels especially interesting. Deadlocked immediately caught my attention with its creepy cover. The summary entices readers with a memorable zombie-filled journey and that’s exactly what you get.

Wise doesn’t waste time. He gets your attention right away with news footage that will not only fill you with dread but awaken your emotions. The plot explodes into an all-out zombie affair as David and a co-worker flee the office, heading home. David sees some of the most insan
Books
Dec 23, 2014 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Deadlocked is one of those books I downloaded for free from Amazon ages ago. I’ve forgotten I had it on my Kindle until I paged through the books on my e-reader looking for a quick bedtime read. I didn’t even read the book summary, so I had no idea what this novella was about until I started reading it. Zombies. Nope, not interested. I’ve read too many zombie books and I’m tired of the same old story over and over again. If this was a full-length novel, I might have just deleted it from my Kindl ...more
Katherine
Apr 08, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it
ok, so..... I love this book, its exciting, cool, and shocked the hell out of me - in a good way!!!!!!!! I was stunned speechless as i read the ending, and i admit - i cried too. I got pulled into the story-line at the first sentence and i couldn't put the book down.

The first part of the story put me in a state of terrified shock as i read what was happening to these characters, especially the main characters family, loved them to bits. I think that what i'm getting at is that this book was bett
Kimberly
Mar 07, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
First off.. OMFG!! (O_O) That's what my eyes looked like the whole time I read the first installment of this series. A.R. Wise did an amazing job of throwing things at me that I didn't expect. Wise.. if you're reading this let me just say that I love a naughty writer that doesn't obey the writing rules. Writers in general think outside of the box only to be placed in another by critics and publishing companys. But not you, you stepped out of both boxes and took a big piss on both. Now I never th ...more
Laura Crosse
Mar 10, 2013 Laura Crosse rated it did not like it
This is really short and not so sweet. It was free on my Kobo and it's a Zombie novel so I said hey why the hell not. Because everything that's free is not necessarily good thats why.

I didn't particularly enjoy this book at all. It's pretty standard, run-of-the-mill zombie apocalypse stuff and most of it was too cliche and ridiculous to enjoy. The main character is just too accepting of the circumstances he's found himself in and it all goes a bit too unrealistic towards the end with him turning
Netanella
Mar 31, 2013 Netanella rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
I liked this zombie novella a lot and will definitely continue the series. A family man is caught at the office when the za breaks out, and this is the story of his attempt to make it back home to his family. I enjoyed the story because it wasn't about zombies, it was about people: dad has just found out he has terminal cancer. The world is going to shit. He's spent his life working and not being with his family, whom he loves very much. And getting home is not as easy as it used to be.

Well wri
Rinny Rainwind
May 14, 2015 Rinny Rainwind rated it really liked it
This book was the first in the Deadlocked Series. It's the first person account of Davis trying to get out of the city to the suburbs to save his family in the Zombie Apocalypse. He has been o battle zombies, sharks and people to get them. He's almost killed on many occasions. What will you sacrifice to save your family from certain death? It's one of those " are you kiddin me"? situations. It ended unexpectedly and quite shockingly. I will read the other books to see how this plays out. This au ...more
Lucian Barnes
Oct 29, 2014 Lucian Barnes rated it it was ok
For me, this story showed potential. It was intriguing enough to keep me reading, but repetitive word usage ruined it for me. By the end, I was so sick of seeing "I thought about" that I almost wanted to throw my kindle.
Kelly Sylvester
Feb 27, 2013 Kelly Sylvester rated it it was amazing
so my guilty pleasure these days. this is a great zombie series, you gotta be into that kind of thing, but wise is a fantastic storyteller, I am always on the edge of my seat, and you fall in love with the characters. check him out...you won't be disappointed!!!
Tracy Mcallister
Jan 14, 2013 Tracy Mcallister rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 stars because I was thoroughly engaged by the hero's story. I appreciate the realism of the approach that no one would believe it was zombies at first. This is extremely true to life and makes the story more alive.
Oct 16, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio_books, zombie, 2015
I think this was a freebie to get a taste of the series and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Will check out the next book to see if I like it.
Diane
Dec 17, 2014 Diane rated it it was ok
That was the most pointless thing I've read this year maybe. It's too short and although there are more books in the series, the fact that some characters died left me annoyed and frowning.
John
Oct 10, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
This was a nice quick and good short story. I'm looking forward to continuing this series.
Angela
Apr 29, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Really fun short story I found free on amazon and a good twist on the zombie apocalypse.
Danette Cole
Oct 27, 2013 Danette Cole rated it really liked it
I liked this short story and I like the author. If you like zombies, then I recommend this!
Irene McHugh
This novella was another freebie from Audible from months, possibly years, ago. Seven more installments are available in this series with the last four being books.

The story of this father's journey home through the zombie apocalypse was okay. To begin Wise explains the mass infection of the population on crowded subways by a mysterious stinging sensation that felt like needles. Sounds odd, but given that this unusual delivery system may be explained more in future stories, I'll suspend my disbe
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
A great start to a series

My 5 star ratings are books I enjoy reading from authors the first time or rereading from authors I am familiar with. I also rate a book 5 stars if the descriptions hit on several emotion layers at once. I like for my horror to make me laugh and smile, not just always feel squeamish.

In this book the main character has alot of personal issues to deal with and then he he suddenly thrust into a situation that is unexplainable. He does not quite know what is going on but he
Hal Mahaffey
Jan 20, 2017 Hal Mahaffey rated it really liked it
Fast-paced zombie book. NOT deep literature, and you can tell "A." is a new writer. But it is suspenseful, and with some great plot twists, as well as some unconventional plays on the typical genre. I read all 4 in the series, and I'm not sure I will continue on, but I was impressed. I read this to divert away from recent heavy book club entries, and it was a fun few days.
Rachel
Feb 21, 2017 Rachel rated it liked it
3.5 stars* I knew nothing about the book so I did not expect that ending to happen :o
Lauren
May 04, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Blimey. A good, solid zombie story.
I love zombies, have done ever since I was 8 and came across my brother's Day Of The Dead video and freaked myself by putting it on halfway through, when one of the soldiers is half way through having his throat ripped out. I was more or less converted.
I've yet to read a good zombie story. I have never, with all the novels I've read, actually liked one. that's why I think so many people either balk or snigger at zombie literature, mainly because any Tom, Dick
Sandy
Oct 20, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: own
This is a really short read at only 54 pages, but there’s a lot packed into these few pages. Basically we get to experience the zombie outbreak from day 1 which is not something we typically see in any zombie story. We usually pick up with years later or a character that has been out of it while the world went to pot. But this is the first experience I’ve had with seeing everything as it happens.

The version of the e-book that I read had an author’s note at the end that I felt really enriched th
Deadlocked by A.R...: Favorite Character 6 13 Sep 04, 2014 02:16PM
  • Perspectives (LZR-1143, #2.5)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Sundered (The Nevermore Trilogy, #1)
  • Air
  • Zombie, Inc. (Zombie Inc, #1)
  • Zombie Day Care (Impact, #1)
  • After Life
  • Circus of the Dead

Deadlocked (8 books)
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #2)
  • Deadlocked 3 (Deadlocked, #3)
  • Deadlocked 4 (Deadlocked, #4)
  • Aftermath (Deadlocked, #5)
  • Uprising (Deadlocked, #6)
  • Legacies (Deadlocked, #7)
  • Sons of Reagan (Deadlocked, #8)

“All hospitals.” “What the fuck?” Barry” 0 likes