Start by marking “Reveille for Radicals” as Want to Read:
Reveille for Radicals

Reveille for Radicals

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Legendary community organizer Saul Alinsky inspired a generation of activists and politicians with Reveille for Radicals, the original handbook for social change. Alinsky writes both practically and philosophically, never wavering from his belief that the American dream can only be achieved by an active democratic citizenship. First published in 1946 and updated in 1969 wi ...more
Published October 23rd 1989 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Reveille for Radicals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reveille for Radicals

Maria
Great for inspiring political activism, not feminist enough for me.
Todd
I actually have the 1969 version of the 1946 book, with an updated introduction and afterward by Alinsky. As Alinsky himself notes in his '69 introduction, he was full of much more piss and vinegar in this work than in his later Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals. He plainly states his own ideology in Reveille, which he tries to avoid doing in Rules. Alinsky distinguishes his "radical" ideology from the liberal, the communist, the religious, and the conservative.

"What
Kate
Lots of people read this back when it was first published, a million years ago. But it should be required reading for anyone trying to find their way out of the multinational corporate capitalist maze we currently find ourselves in. Particularly for anyone in the Occupy Movement. Saul Alinsky was a freakin' brilliant community organizer who had incredible results in the Back of the Yards neighborhood of Chicago, which he then replicated in various places all over the country. The cry for people- ...more
Adam
Reads largely like a low content rant. That is if one has not context, nor a glimpse. Plenty of the people vs. the man. Whether the man be the corporation or the government. Much of the rallying testimonials by those supposedly deep in the struggle sound precisely as the stories my older, and deeply union neighbor tells me. Same conflicts, passions, angers, aims.

Many of the stories of bringing the community together ring a little odd. On the one hand, it's sworn up and down no violence. Suddenly
Luke Peterson
Feb 20, 2007 Luke Peterson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: organizers
Alinsky's follow-up to Rules for Radicals has more case studies, and appears to contain all the stuff that had to be edited out of Rules in order to keep it pamphlet-length.

Good book though, and still cheap and easy to read. No reason not to.
Kenn
May 14, 2007 Kenn added it
Recommends it for: poltical scientists
Shelves: newoldclassics
how to organize. how organizing for social justice is a lot like organizing for tammany hall. how alinsky is a kook. it has been said, but Alinsky is like a neo-post-Thomas-Paine. he writes about the radical in a very common sense way.
Written 20 years before "Rules for Radicals," and it seems about 40 years more dated. Mostly good for a sort of snapshot of the labor organization movement just after WWII and the beginnings of Alinsky's political thought.
Monica
Great stories and lessons, from a great organizer. This book was more interesting to me than Rules for Radicals because stories and examples of resistant movements were used.
Rigel
the literature of community organizing has many lessons for those of us who wish to try and make the world a better place.
Jeff
Out of date for today's radicals, but an interesting look back on the liberalism that came out of WWII.
Theadora Davitt-Cornyn
a classic i always intended to borrow. finally just got my own.
Yariella
one of the most inspirational books i read in college!
Pygmalion7
Nov 16, 2013 Pygmalion7 is currently reading it
Having just completed a year working as a Trainee Community Organiser, I would say this book is extremely relevant today. I am working on a transcript / review of this book, and will publish it as soon as my current commitments allow.

This is definately recommended, or should I say 'required' reading for anyone who is interested professionally or personally or perhaps both, in engaging effectively with communities.

Matthia
This book was a struggle for me. It was written in a vocabulary I don't yet understand, in a tone that makes me uncomfortable, about causes I've never wanted to fight for.

That said, I find I involuntarily learned about what it is to be a community organizer.
Christine
It's a good read. Several stories of how people in history living in poverty and oppressive situations were able to rise up using non-violent actions to make social changes in their community; their city; their state; maybe, the nation.
Madeline Anderson
Wonderful for community organizing and really pumped. Some things are a little extreme but then begs the question: in need of change, what is too extreme?
Chris Brimmer
Just a refinement but a good back to back read.
Jane
Oct 26, 2010 Jane added it
Another page turner from Alinsky
Brendan Holly
Brendan Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Nicolaus
Nicolaus marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Stefan
Stefan added it
Jan 24, 2015
Matías Kornacher
Matías Kornacher marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Jérôme Ginjinha
Jérôme Ginjinha marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Eruch
Eruch marked it as to-read
Elisa Rudolph
Elisa Rudolph marked it as to-read
Reg
Reg marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Caseybob
Caseybob is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2015
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • For All the People: Uncovering the Hidden History of Cooperation, Cooperative Movements, and Communalism in America
  • Stir It Up: Lessons in Community Organizing and Advocacy
  • Why Don't We Learn from History?
  • The Strategy Paradox: Why committing to success leads to failure (and what to do about it)
  • Going Public: An Organizer's Guide to Citizen Action
  • Truth or Dare: Encounters with Power, Authority, and Mystery
  • We Make the Road by Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change
  • The City
  • Early Writings
  • On Revolution
  • Justice and the Politics of Difference
  • The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates The Complexities of Human Thought
  • State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?
  • Shopping for Buddhas: 25th Anniversary Edition, with a New Preface by the Author
  • Political Order in Changing Societies
  • Organizing for Social Change: Midwest Academy Manual for Activists
  • Just How Stupid Are We?: Facing the Truth About the American Voter
  • Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action
Saul David Alinsky was an American community organizer and writer. He is generally considered to be the founder of modern community organizing. His organizing skills were focused on improving the living conditions of poor communities across North America.
More about Saul D. Alinsky...
Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals John L. Lewis: An Unauthorized Biography Reveille for Radicals / Rules for Radicals

“Life is an adventure of passion, risk, danger, laughter, beauty, love; a burning curiosity to go with the action to see what it is all about, to go search for a pattern of meaning, to burn one's bridges because you're never going to go back anyway, and to live to the end.” 143 likes
“I suggested that we might buy one hundred seats for one of Rochester's symphony concerts. We would select a concert in which the music would be relatively quiet. The hundred blacks who would be given tickets would first be treated to a three-hour pre-concert dinner in the community, in which they would be fed nothing but baked beans, and lots of them; them the people would go to the symphony hall--with obvious consequences.” 2 likes