Start by marking “The Myth of You and Me” as Want to Read:
The Myth of You and Me

The Myth of You and Me

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  5,570 Ratings  ·  621 Reviews
When Cameron was fifteen, she and Sonia were best friends—so close it seemed nothing would ever come between them. Now Cameron is a twenty-nine-year-old research assistant with no meaningful ties to anyone except her aging boss, noted historian Oliver Doucet.

Nearly a decade after the incident that ended their friendship, Cameron receives an unexpected letter from her old f
Published April 25th 2006 by Broadway Books (first published September 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of You and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of You and Me

Apr 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
I have to say I wasn't sure how I felt about this book while I was reading it. I never really felt much for the main character. Maybe we aren't suppose to really like her. She shut herself off from so many people, even her own parents, only allowing in a person here and there. And I found her to be really gloomy even when the moment didn't warrant it.

I also think aspects of Cameron's journey to find Sonia were interesting but some of it seemed too easy. All the people in Sonia's life seemed a l
May 30, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grownupbooks
Most women can attest that friendships go through many phases in life – some friends you keep, some you disconnect from entirely, some simply become names on a Christmas card list. Then there are best friends, the ones that shaped your life and the person you became. You can clearly remember everything about how you met; in some cases, you can remember exactly how your friendship collapsed.

The friendship between Cameron and Sonia, which began when they were 14, ends soon after college. Cameron i
Lara
Mar 30, 2009 Lara rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the beginning, and I loved it all the way through to the end. I could relate to it perfectly well - partly because I have always been the kind of girl to have pretty intensely strong female friendships and partly because I have seen first-hand how tenuous those friendships can actually be. Here's my favorite passage.

***

Tamara
Sep 15, 2007 Tamara rated it it was amazing
As a perpetually single person, I greatly appreciate books that take friendships as seriously as romantic relationships. As the main character states, friendships are a lot like relationships. At times you will sleep next to that person, you will feel hope and loss with that person, you will eat hundreds of dinners with that person, and you feel a sense of responsibility to that person.

From beginning to end, this was another one of those books that speaks truths about life in a way that wraps i
Holli
Sep 25, 2008 Holli rated it really liked it
I just finished this book that came highly recommended to me by Laura and she was right. Amazing book. Very lyrically written....it grips you and you really start to feel what Cameron is feeling. Even what Sonia is feeling. Every girl has had a friendship like these two have and this book exemplifies what that's like. A friendship that starts early where you become like sisters (or even more than that) like "one" and then something happens. Something occurs as it always does in life to rip the t ...more
Rebecca
Sep 26, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women
Shelves: age-adult-books
This was indeed one of those books that seemed to have been spying on my life. I found many moments of truth and I really, really identified with narrator, Cameron. The nature of female friendships is so complex, and I've never before read a book that tackles this particular subject, and so well.

Some favorite quotes are below. See Tamara and Jenn's reviews for more.

"With moving, I have always been partial to the in-between, the blurred highway outside the window, that suspended time when everyth
Julie
Jan 17, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Some of my favorite lines from this book include:

pg 114: Adult friendship doesn't grant you an exclusive, isn't meant to be ranked above romance and family. I couldn't imagine ever living that moment again, when you say with a shy and hopeful pride, "you're my best friend." The other person says it back and, there you have chosen each other, out of everyone in the world. You have fallen in love and said so."

pg 137: "A happy ending isn't really the end. It's just the place where you choose to sto
Katie K
Dec 03, 2008 Katie K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grown-up
It took me about two weeks to read the first 150 pages of this book and then one night to read the rest. This book starts slowly but it quickly builds into a fantastic story. There's mystery! (Where is this friend!? What's in the package!? Why did they stop being friends!?) A hopeful love story!!! (You mean that guy I had a crush on high school might actually come back into my life!!!???) And well developed supporting characters!!! (The violent french speaking mother!! The surprisingly warm and ...more
Sheri
Aug 21, 2015 Sheri rated it really liked it
I'm not sure where I heard about this book from, whether it was a blog, podcast or newsletter, but I'm sure glad I read it! This was a wonderful story, an original story that is very well told.

This story is of two girls, childhood friends through college, until a tragedy happens that effects them both so much they aren't friends anymore. Shoot forward a number of years and they are reunited in the most puzzled, maze-like way that draws the reader in to the point they don't want to put the book
Amber
Aug 04, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
This was a book I kinda blew off to-do stuff to read. Laundry went unfolded, dishes sat undone, and I didn't care. I just wanted to read it.

It resonated with me since I also had a best friend for many years who I no longer am frenz with. Although it was not for the same reason, the way the story wended its way from past to present made me think of this long lost friend, and how when your childhood memories are inextricably woven with another person, especially when that person has exited your l
Susan
Jun 22, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
I have had this one on my shelf for over a year. I just got around to reading it this weekend and I loved it. I think this is one of the most mature expressions of forgiveness and the loss of adolescence that I have found. On that note, people either love it or hate it (see other reviews). Some say that they didn't buy Cameron's character because she seemed flawless. I don't see this at all. In fact, I think that Cameron thinks she is flawless in certain ways but comes to see that she is just as ...more
Lain
Nov 30, 2007 Lain rated it really liked it
Is there an unforgiveable sin? If so, what is it, and if you choose not to forgive a transgression, who is punished more -- the sinner or the victim? In this sensitive portrayal of friendship and loss, Leah Stewart investigates the many facets of friendship, the question of how much you can truly know someone, and how we can never truly protect ourselves from pain, no matter how hard we try.

For the most part, I thought this book was extremely well-written, though the plot was a bit far-fetched.
Kathleen Basi
Nov 16, 2015 Kathleen Basi rated it really liked it
This is the story of Cameron, a lonely young woman who won't admit she's lonely. She blames an old friend for the demise of their relationship, and refuses to bridge the gap. When her elderly employer dies, he sends her on what seems to be a wild goose chase to find this friend and deliver a gift. Along the way, Cameron reconnects with her past and eventually has to admit that she, too, is to blame. I found it hard to set the book aside.

As an aspiring author, I found the use of flashback chapter
Kelly Tomaska
Jun 09, 2015 Kelly Tomaska rated it really liked it
Oh Camazon, I actually really didn't like you as a person. You are everything I am not in a lot of ways, and I had a hard time relating. In a some ways it's why I liked the book too, to change how I think about life and love and see a really complex friendship from another angle. Good story, even if I felt it dragged a tag from the get go.
treehugger
Jan 03, 2016 treehugger rated it it was amazing
I have been bad about setting aside all other distractions and actually READING A BOOK this year, and I have had to really examine how I want to actually spend my time and reevaluate priorities. Reading is something I love and that's good for me, so why is it so hard to just do it already? I think it's just that there are so many other choices now...I so infrequently don't have access to any hundreds of games via phone, computer, or game system, which means that meaningful pastimes need to be sc ...more
Hurricane Power
Sep 01, 2015 Hurricane Power rated it really liked it
As I began to read the story of Cameron and Sonia, I quickly realized that this book was no ordinary read. The words and language used portrayed the story of two young girls who were so much in love with each other that there lives were never the same even when they were no longer a daily part of each other's lives. As I read the story I thought of my own life growing up and the friends that I had loved and lost. I thought of the pain that both Cameron and Sonia had felt when their relationship ...more
Lauren
Sep 23, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This book was surprisingly wonderful! I definately reccommend it to those that like beautifully written, emotionally telling stories. It's an introspective work about love, relationships, loss, pain, anger, lonliness, disappointment, happiness, change, identity, and just plain old trying to be a person in this often intense world (Did I forget anything? I'm sure I did!). I don't want to over-hype it, as I went into it with low expectations, which likely lent to my glowing review. I was most impr ...more
Nancy Rossman
Feb 25, 2016 Nancy Rossman rated it really liked it
This piece of fiction reads nearly like memoir. Early bonds of female friendship often hit bumpy roads. Well, maybe all. But females share deeper secrets, the amount of trust and reveal more complex and seemingly without reservation. So this tale caught my interest as in that I am, female. And I have trusted and been betrayed. Though never to the complicated extent as this plot and never so involved and yet detached.

Great four main characters and the plot will pull you along. You can't guess its
Allison
Jul 31, 2011 Allison rated it it was ok
Enjoyed reading this at points, didn't enjoy it in others. Couldn't decide if the main character was too self absorbed to be likeable. Her best friend had so many other things hurting/hindering her and yet the main character was always "poor me." Redeeming factor was the add on of real people's best friend stories!
Claire
Mar 01, 2016 Claire rated it liked it
Full Review: Clara's Book Blog: Bookmarked

Leah Stewart weaves a tale that could easily veer into overly sentimental territory, but never does. Instead, what emerges is a touching story of true friendship so intense that over duration it manages to produce both joy and deep heartbreak.
Meredith
Aug 14, 2007 Meredith rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who have ever lost a good friendship
Shelves: read_2007, friendship
This book is about the friendship between two young woman and the story flashes back between past and present. It takes them from their early youth all the way through to adulthood. It's an easy read but the story draws you in. I felt myself dying to know what happens in the end with their friendship. Great book that I recommend to everyone.
Alisa
Apr 22, 2014 Alisa rated it really liked it
A solid novel that explores how our reactions are shaped by our families and friends, our history, our loves, our losses, and the malleable interpretations of all of those. Loved that the ending wasn't tidy, but hopeful, and true to what can happen when one opens her heart.
Michele Harrod
Sep 12, 2009 Michele Harrod rated it it was amazing
This book was beautifully written and a surprising gem. I picked this up at a book sale and wasn't sure what to expect, but it was so gorgeous. Such a brilliant portrayal of the intensity of teenage friendship, and a wonderful examination of how our friendships define us. Highly recommended!
Kristine
Feb 03, 2009 Kristine rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Myth of You and Me." It was the kind of story that had me eagerly going from chapter to chapter to find out what happens next. It's the tale of two best friends, who had a falling out and how that shapes their lives and their eventual reunion.
Tawnie
Jan 15, 2015 Tawnie rated it it was ok
Very well written, but I just couldn't get into the characters. I didn't like any of them so it was hard for me to finish. Pretty much skimmed the last half of the book.
Nawrockit
Sep 28, 2013 Nawrockit rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite books - one of the best of the female friendships genre. I need to read this again.
Cie
Sep 18, 2014 Cie rated it liked it
Not a bad read but a bit convoluted in parts and far-fetched in others. I appreciated the gist and liked the ending. I would recommend it. I just wouldn't gush about it.
Carol
Dec 16, 2015 Carol rated it did not like it
This is not a book for adults - it belongs in the "Teen Angst" section of the library. The main character is stuck in perpetual high school mode.
Sep 05, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any woman with a beating heart
Recommended to Laura by: NoveList based on P&P
I just loved it. It was extremely well-written, and a page turner for me right from the start. It made me laugh, cry, smile, everything. And it will definitely stay with you.
Ashley Bergman Carlin
Jul 27, 2014 Ashley Bergman Carlin rated it it was amazing
Ultimately I really loved this book. Pageturner.
What's The Name o...: Fiction; pub 2006-8; old man dies young woman must [s] 3 56 Dec 30, 2011 04:55AM
  • The Department of Lost & Found
  • Family Baggage
  • The Breakdown Lane
  • Everyone Else's Girl
  • The Penny Tree
I'm the author of five novels: BODY OF A GIRL, THE MYTH OF YOU AND ME, HUSBAND AND WIFE, THE HISTORY OF US, and THE NEW NEIGHBOR. I teach in the creative writing program at the University of Cincinnati.
More about Leah Stewart...

“To belong nowhere is a blessing and a curse, like any kind of freedom.” 276 likes
“So Sonia was not my only or even my first best friend. She was the last. It wasn t that I hadn t made friends since just that I thought myself past the age of that particular kind of friendship. Adult friendship doesn t grant you an exclusive isn t meant to be ranked above romance and family. I couldn t imagine ever living that moment again when you say with a shy and hopeful pride You re my best friend. The other person says it back and there you have chosen each other out of everyone else in the world. ” 64 likes