Start by marking “War and Space: Recent Combat” as Want to Read:
War and Space: Recent Combat

War and Space: Recent Combat

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Conflict: a basic human instinct, helping humankind evolve even while threatening the very existence of the species . . . an instinct that will be as much a part of the future as it is now and always has been. For all the glories of war-the defeat of evil, the promise of freedom, justice, protection of the innocent, the righting of wrongs, technological innovation, heroism ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Prime Books (first published April 29th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about War and Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War and Space

Michael Drakich
Jun 16, 2014 Michael Drakich rated it it was ok
Too many disappointments with only a handful of good ones scattered in.

Twenty tales of science fiction with all having a central theme of war and space.

Of the stories, I gave four of them 5 stars. Sadly, I gave three of them 1 star, something I had never done before. The average rating ending up at 3.05 stars. So why only the two star rating?

I picked up this book at my local bookstore based on the cover and blurb. My expectation was to find 20 short stories centered around war and space. Unfortu
Peter
Apr 24, 2014 Peter rated it liked it
A collection of stories all focusing on, surprisingly enough, war, and space. Usually both in the same story, although a few take place entirely on Earth and deal with those left behind, or those on the fringes of war, or the aftermath. Still, it's safe to say that this is a fairly well-titled analogy (the subtitle "Recent Combat" is a little iffy, considering it all takes place in the future, but why quibble?).

As an anthology, it's, by nature, a mixed bag. Some stories will grab you, some will
Bill
May 28, 2014 Bill rated it liked it
I especially liked Genevieve Valentine's "Carthago Delenda Est". A very subtle story, and it's one that will separate the careful readers from the quick. I had to read it twice, then look up a translation of the title. Then the story's true meaning really came through.

I'm not saying this one story makes up for the average-to-good quality of the entire book, but it was a nice surprise to find a story strong enough to make me want to find more writing by the same author. She writes reviews of TV s
John Bradney
May 05, 2014 John Bradney rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-sf
First off; I get the “War & Space” part of the title, but “Recent Combat”? That sounds a bit… meaningless? Silly? And the stories within are diverse enough that the combat is not always recent, but sometimes ongoing, anticipated, or off in the background. I get that the publisher, Prime Books is branding a lot of their short fiction collections as “[Noun (s)]: Recent [Verb]”, but still, the somewhat unnecessary subtitle almost put me off buying this.

I read this a few weeks ago, but I didn’t
Paul
Feb 27, 2013 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, military
I've been recommend a number of times to avoid short story compilations like these. I guess until now I'd been lucky... Unfortunately (for me) this compilation is overwhelmed by a couple of poor stories. Charles Oberndorfs "Another Life" was the worst for me. Maybe I'm being unfair but I can only describe it in terms such as uneventful, mind numbing, rambling. It's not that the story was a dreadful idea - love disjointed over a number of clone lifetimes - so maybe I just don't like his style.

Imm
Earl Biringer
Jun 21, 2014 Earl Biringer rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
Individual stories rated as follows:
5* - A classic.
4* - A really good story, recommended reading.
3* - A decent story
2* - Not a good story, something seriously inhibited any enjoyment
1* - Unreadable and/or a complete waste of time

Horton, Rich: Introduction *
I usually don’t rate introductory or prefacer pieces, but this one just begged for comment. I should have realized what I was getting into, what this editor considered “good writing”, after reading this. If this was an eighth grade compositi
Sherry Ramsey
Jun 04, 2014 Sherry Ramsey rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Like most anthologies, this one was a mixed bag for me. Some stories were very enjoyable and intriguing, some were tedious, a few were practically incomprehensible. There are some stories that I would call "military" SF, but certainly not all, as you might think from the title. On the whole, if you like hard SF at all, you'll likely find it worth your while.
Jon Cassie
Nov 20, 2012 Jon Cassie rated it really liked it
Uneven, but don't let that bother you because there are some excellent stories in this collection. A rush job would leave you with these must reads: Alastair Reynolds' "Scales," Catherynne Valente's "Golubash," America's short fiction master Robert Reed's "Leave" and Adam-Troy Castro's unnerving "Her Husband's Hands." I had already encountered Charles Coleman Finlay's excellent "The Political Officer" in F&SF, but would list it among the top-rank.
Michael
Sep 07, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish this book. Why? Because it was huge let down! I was hoping for amazing star-spanning epics like "Star Wars", "Star Trek", or BSG, and "Space Battleship Yamato". WRONG! It had space...but not much war! I was just bored by it.
Jon
May 23, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it
The stories were all wildly different, and for the most part, good. One or two I didn't care for, but that's pretty much inevitable in any sort of anthology.

A good read for when you have a short attention span.
Ryan Galgon
Sep 09, 2012 Ryan Galgon rated it really liked it
Good collection that ventures beyond the standard war tropes.
Word of warning, this isn't the first printing of many of these stories, so if you follow other collections/magazines you may get some repeats.
Dan Goodman
Aug 02, 2012 Dan Goodman rated it liked it
Pedantic note: Edited by Rich Horton and Sean Wallace; Ms. Valentine is one contributor.

Why I didn't rate this higher: I seem to be burned out on military science fiction, no matter how good.
Chris
Apr 25, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
3.5 star book. Had a few really good, interesting stories and a couple that were just okay. Overall a enjoyable read but nothing overwhelming. Made for a nice light and non-serious read.
Roger Burk
Feb 09, 2013 Roger Burk rated it liked it
A book of recent science fiction short stories about warfare. None are memorable, some are distasteful.
Andrew Liptak
Jul 18, 2012 Andrew Liptak rated it it was amazing
Fantastic anthology - review is forthcoming. Lots of standout stories in this one.
Art
Jun 28, 2012 Art marked it as to-read
- saw on library teaser shelf
Cory
Oct 07, 2013 Cory rated it really liked it
4/5. Pretty good for $5 book.
Adam
Dec 31, 2014 Adam rated it liked it
a mixed bag.
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Marcus
Marcus is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2016
Bradley
Bradley marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Mark Catalfano
Mark Catalfano marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Travis
Travis rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2015
Jasmin Begic
Jasmin Begic marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Distaltaper
Distaltaper marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Andrés Ignacio Torres
Andrés Ignacio Torres marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sean A. Wallace (born January 1, 1976) is an award-winning American science fiction and fantasy anthologist, editor, and publisher best known for his work on Prime Books and for co-editing two magazines, Clarkesworld Magazine, and Fantasy Magazine. He has been nominated a number of times by both the Hugo Awards and the World Fantasy Awards, won two Hugo Awards and one World Fantasy Award, and has ...more
More about Sean Wallace...