Stalking the Others (H&W Investigations, #4)

Stalking the Others (H&W Investigations #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  600 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Vampires, werewolves, mages--the Others are very real, and wreaking havoc in Shiarra Waynest's life. But now, she's returning the favor. . .

Once, she was one of the good guys--or as close as a New York P.I. can get. Then Shiarra Waynest was drawn into the world of the Others. Every faction has its own loyalties and agenda. And Shia's recent betrayal by her ex-boyfriend mea

Published July 3rd 2012 by Zebra

Shera (Book Whispers)
That's it! I can not in good conscious go on reading these books without stating that Shiarra is To Stupid To Live (AKA TSTL). From the first book I knew Shia was short a few brain cells, but I kept holding out. She had a lot of crazy stuff going on, and each book was a struggle. However, after having the leader of the White Hats, Royce (the vampire king of New York City), and so many other people say how clever, brave, and amazing she is I can't stand it any more. Over the course of these books...more
Katie(babs)
Stalking the Others, book #4 in Jess Haines’ H&W Investigations is one book I’m recommending as a must read for the summer. I should disclose I’m friends with Jess and I was one of her beta readers for this book. I really didn’t know what to expect with this latest because Jess has taken her main protagonist on quite a journey that I liken to Alice in Wonderland. When this series began, Shiarra West was a NYC private investigator who had a pretty stable life with a good job, very supporting...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

STALKING THE OTHERS is the most action packed, adrenalin fueled book in the H&W Investigations series. It opens with a chase scene through the New York subways, rushes into a life or death brawl with a werewolf, and on and on until a different kind of action intensive ending….the one we’ve been waiting for since the first book.

Part of what I love so much about this series is the way Haines injects a subtle humor in her writing that keeps even the mo...more
Melliane
Mon avis en français

My English review

Since the end of the third novel, I only wanted one thing: to get into this one. Indeed, the last volume was full of turnarounds of any kinds. It was amazing, we found ourselves buffeted on all sides to finally question everything. But here it is, there are also a lot of consequences, and we can see them now in this novel.

Shia only think about one thing in this volume, her revenge against Chaz, and nothing, really nothing, could stop her in her new quest. But...more
Blodeuedd Finland
I read the last line and went wtf..wtf..wtf!? Evil author alert. I sat up and shook my fist, ok so I did not shake my fist but I stared at bf for a while and trying to comprehend that the book had just ended. Now you all think cliffie, but it was not really a cliffie. All was good, sort of good for now, it was just what was going on and ..I truly want to spill the beans but you have to read for yourself to find out what made me crave book 5 more than chocolate, and I adore chocolate.

But that was...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

I’m sorry to say but this series as officially lost its appeal for me. I very much enjoyed the first two books in this series, but the third book was a DNF. I felt that Shiarra’s head was lost in the clouds while dire things were happening. She ignored several warnings that only resulted in more trouble. I don’t like it when an author creates drama or conflict at the expense of their character.

Fortunately, I was able to get through STALKING THE OTHERS but just didn’t ca...more
Ferdy
Spoilers

Shia is terrified that she'll turn into an Other on the next full moon and is determined to seek revenge on those who have wronged her before she changes into a werewolf. Shia blames her ex boyfriend, Chaz, for all that's happened to her and is on a mission to hunt him and his pack down.

-The plot was slightly more interesting this time around — the first half was actually quite enjoyable when Shia got all crazy badass and finally took control of her life. I was pleased that she wanted to...more
Tynga
Shia is now facing her worst nightmare after being possibly contaminated by a werewolf. She has until the next full moon to discover if she’ll turn furry and she won’t waste a minute. Uniting with the questionable White Hats, she will hunt down Chaz and his pack, looking for revenge.

Before I get on with my review, I just want to disclose that I am a cameo character in this novel, Cindy Bacon, a werewolf. It doesn’t influence my opinion as I have been a fan of the series since the first book, but...more
Jessica

I received this ARC from the author for review

Jess Haines' Stalking the Others was incredible!! And I have to say I love the new cover look! I think this makes a good Shiarra!

The book pretty much picks up where we left off, which is a bit fuzzy for me since I read it ages ago. Shiarra has been scratched by a Were. She is likely infected and has a month to find out. Time flies by fast too, as Shiarra is trying to track down Chaz and his pack. She wants retribution for what he did to her, Dillon t...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

Early Review

STALKING THE OTHERS, by Jess Haines, is the fourth novel in the H&W Investigations series. The story pretty much picks up right where DECEIVED BY THE OTHERS left off. Private Investigator Shiarra Waynest has had it with the Others. Ever since she was dragged into the world of the Others kicking and screaming, her world has turned upside down.

Shia is tired of being pushed around and being used against her will by not only Chaz, but Alec as well. Wi...more
Claire
I have been waiting patiently for a year since the end of Deceived By The Others for Stalking The Others to be released so that I could find out what would happen with our heroine Shiarra Waynest. Would she turn furry at the next full moon and more importantly would she get it on with our handsome manipulative sexy genius vamp Alec Royce. So on 3 July as soon as I woke up I downloaded Stalking The Others to my Kindle and started reading immediately.

This book picks up straight away from where De...more
Mara
If you want to read this book, I would suggest you avoid caffeine and other stimulants. The story is one chocked up on adrenaline and, like some action movie, the action simply does not stop until the very end. And then you drop your jaw, asking WTF?

Shiarra is literally drugged by her rage and desire for revenge and every line of the story drips with it.. I wasn't kidding when I wrote the no caffeine rule. You'll end jittery all the same.

The ending, what about the ending. Well, Shiarra, let's h...more
Kat Klein
Okay, I think I've figured out with this book why I tend to prefer Weres over Vampires (with a few notable exceptions) in my UF and PNR. I like Alpha Males as much as any heterosexual woman, but there is a big difference between the two types of Alpha Males. There is a difference between Dominating and Manipulating. It also seems, for the most part, to be the biggest difference between Weres and Vamps.

I can't say I like Chaz much anymore in this series. In spite of the fact that he does seem to...more
Raquel
3.75/5 I was so happy from the last book, that I couldn't wait to get my hands on this. It was great to see Shiarra was finally standing on her own feet, and I was anticipating the can-of-whoop-ass Chaz deserved. Everything was going great until the end. Dubya Tee Eff. I feel as though Shiarra is now back in the one spot she's been avoiding! She can be so frustrating. Not sure where this is going to lead to, but I hope Shiarra finds her way out of the mess >.<
Darcy
I feel like for all of this book Shiarra was not herself. For the first 3/4 of the book she was just reacting. She never really seemed to have a solid plan, just wanted to get back at Chaz. He did deserve it, but at times Shiarra's actions were over the top. Then at the end of the book, the choice Shiarra made, really seemed out of character, and one that will have a big consequence to her future. We'll have to read the next book to see how things fall.
Kate
It's about F*&%ing time Woot! Woot!

More review to come soon!
Tori  smexys_sidekick
This series just gets better and better.
Paranormal Haven

Shiarra is determined to hunt down her ex-boyfriend and his pack, the Sunstrikers. One of them may have infected her, and she has reason to believe they are murders. She allies with the anti-Others group, the White Hats to bring the Sunstrikers down. She also uses an enchanted belt that gives her more strength and speed, but it might also be affecting her in a different way.

Stalking the Others is number four in the H and W Investigations series. Despite the name of the series, there is...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An angry and out of control PI hunts down a pack of werewolves she thinks is responsible for her own werewolf infection. Dark and stormy, this book has lots of anger and bitterness in the driver’s seat.

Opening Sentence: My fingertips pressed against the cool stone of the ledge, helping me balance as I crouched on the balls of my feet.

Excerpt: Yes

The Review:

Stalking the Others, the fourth installment of H & W Investigations series, has ta...more
Amy Jacobs
Action? Check.
Kick Ass Heroine? Check.
Suspense? Check.
Another winner of a book? CHECKMATE.

Since I am not a regular reader of urban fantasy, the books in this category better blow me away for me to keep reading them. What author Jess Haines brings to this reader is excitement and holy amazing! I loved the writing and the characters in this book.

I love how the author changed the character of Shia in this book. Instead of the usual, we get a Kick-Them-In-the-Jewels Shia that is one seriously bad g...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Julie
I was so disapointed with this book, I still can't believe it. I enjoyed books 1 to 3 a lot, but this one just fell flat.
Let's resume it. Shia prepares for battle, Shia fights, Shia prepares for battle, Shia fiths. And on and on. Not only did it seem endless to me, but it also seemed pointless. In the end, she didn't kill Chaz, she doesn't really learn what's going on, she doesn't confront or beat the belt.
Maybe it's because she spent so much time whith the White Hats and I'm not interested in...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
4.5 Stars
Well, I'll give you this. Jess Haines knows how to go for a big ending. Wow.

This installment of H&W Investigations picks up right where the last one left off. Shiarra is out for blood. Chaz and his pack nearly destroyed her in the last book. She is livid over his betrayal and terrified that she may be turning were. So she decides to take matters into her own hands and seek revenge.

Unfortunately, the Sunchasers don't make it easy for her. They go into hiding at the same time she know...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Shiarra has a mission – to find the werewolf who infected her and kill him. And maybe her cheating ex-boyfriend Chaz, leader of the Sunstrikers as well. And who knows how many other Sunstrikers if she has the chance

She also has a time limit. One month. One month before she turns. One month before she becomes a werewolf. One month before she cannot use her belt – her magical hunter belt containing the spirit of Isaac, a skilled and dangerous anti-vampire hunter – to give her the edge she so despe...more
Stacy
**MINOR SPOILER ALERT**

STALKING THE OTHERS isn't my favorite of the series but was still a fantastic addition the series and great read with some nice development. Shiarra was not in a happy place for a good portion of the book. She is angry and wants revenge. Surprisingly it comes to light that the belt that has helped Shia out of many dangerous situations ends up being not so good for her or her psyche.

Why wasn't it my favorite of the series? Well, there was a lot of lead up for what I was hop...more
Dotti Elrick
Stalking the Others is the fourth book of the H&W Investigation series. I loved the first three books, this one, not so much.
This book picks up exactly where the third book left off. Shia has been betrayed by her boyfriend, Chaz, the head of the Sunstrikers pack. She has been attacked by one of his packmates. Scratched by the shifted wolf. Her father has disowned her for involving herself with the Others. Her friend and business partner, Sarah is forced into hiding because of what she knows...more
Carien
If you haven't read Haines' other books in the H&W Investigations series yet you should go out now to buy them because this series is awesome and gets more awesome with each book.

As you might have guessed from the above statement:
I totally love this book!

It's the most emotionally tense book in this series so far and I have both cursed and cheered while reading it. I really felt for Shia and was completely drawn into the story.

Next to this being a very emotional and psychological story, there...more
Anna
Shiarra Waynest is a part of the Others’ world, as much as she does not want to be. She is fighting now to find her ex lover Chaz and take revenge on him for what he did to her. He has cheated on her and one of his pack has possibly turned her into a were. She uses the help of her belt, that is really a man named Isaac that is out to kill the vampires. But she also must enlist the help of one of the people that she turned her back on Jack. Together with his team they hunt the Others and start a...more
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/06/...

The Sunstrikers must be taken down before the next full moon, and Shiarra Waynest is determined to do just that. Still unsure if she herself will go furry, she’s on a desperate hunt for the werewolves (and the ex-boyfriend, Chaz), that have quite possibly ruined her life, and those they turned without consent. Unfortunately, Shia has to ask for help from the most unlikely of allies, the White Hats, and hope she’s not makin...more
Toni
I have to say that this series is new for me. When I requested Stalking the Others, I knew that this was book four and that I would have to play catch up. I’m glad I picked it and I’m really glad I had this book after finishing book three, Deceived by the Others. Get ready for a kick-ass ride!

The Sunstriker pack is on the run. Their crimes have been revealed, and everyone is looking for them. The person top on the list: Shiarra Waynest. Shiarra has a mission. Take out every one who has wronged h...more
Free Book Giveaway: Jess Haines give away 1 5 Jun 25, 2012 06:51AM
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Blood of Innocence (Sloane Skye, #2)
  • The Isis Collar (Blood Singer, #4)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan #4)
  • Deliverance (Mortal Path, #3)
  • Tegan's Magic (The Ultimate Power, #3)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1)
  • Bloodmagic (Blood Destiny, #2)
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • A Cat's Chance in Hell (Hellcat, #1)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Eventide (Dark Ink Chronicles, #3)
  • Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5)
  • Kissed by Smoke (Sunwalker Saga, #3)
  • Moonshifted (Edie Spence, #2)
I'm a displaced New Yorker with a penchant for the silly, the obscure, and the fantastical. Los Angeles is home for the time being, since it consistently meets my daily quota of strange. I'm currently working on the H&W Investigations urban fantasy series. Find out more about Shiarra Waynest, drop me a line, or join my mailing list at www.jesshaines.com!
More about Jess Haines...
Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1) Taken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #2) Deceived by the Others (H&W Investigations, #3) Forsaken by the Others (H&W Investigations, #5) Jess Haines Bundle: Hunted By The Others, Taken By The Others, Deceived By The Others, Stalking The Others