Start by marking “Jonah's Whale” as Want to Read:
Jonah's Whale

Jonah's Whale

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
God made Whale and gave him a home in the blue-deep waters of the sea, a family with whom he could play and splash, and a joyful song to sing. And then one day, when a wild storm raged above, God gave Whale a job to do. Whale"s faithful spirit fills the pages of this vibrant story and gives a new twist to the classic, well-loved biblical tale.

Eileen Spinelli"s charming re
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published January 12th 2012 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Jonah's Whale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonah's Whale

Stuart
Oct 07, 2015 Stuart rated it really liked it
Jonah's Whale is a richly illustrated retelling of the Biblical story of Jonah. It's a pretty well-known Biblical section, but it involves a reluctant/disobedient prophet named Jonah who is trying to escape God's plan for his life and the city of Nineveh. This children's book takes a twist on the Biblical passage by telling it from the whale's point of view. In it we learn that the whale has a family, likes to play, and loves to sing. One day he was swimming by a boat during a great story and he ...more
Michelle McBeth
This is the story of Jonah and the Whale from the whale's perspective. The main character is simply called Whale. He lives with his family, eats and plays until the day of the storm when Jonah is thrown over board and God tells whale to swallow Jonah. Jonah is in Whale's belly for three days until God tells Whale to spit Jonah back onto dry land. The story does not talk about why Jonah was in the boat or why he was thrown over board (which is all very crucial information to this story).

This stor
Sandra Stiles
Feb 24, 2012 Sandra Stiles rated it it was amazing
Eileen Spinelli and her husband Jerry Spinelli have written some of my favorite books to share with children. Okay, so they are some of MY favorites. This one is another favorite. Jonah's Whale is the retelling of the Biblical story with a twist. It is told from the Whale's perspective. The whale is happy living and playing in the ocean. One day a storm come up and he sees a boat. A man in the boat is telling the other men to throw him into the water to stop the storm. God speaks to the whale an ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Apr 11, 2012 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
You probably know the Biblical story of Jonah and the Whale and why Jonah was swallowed up. BUT, did you ever think about what the whale was thinking? Eileen Spinelli’s book, “Jonah’s Whale” answers that question!

I really liked this clever re-telling of the story Jonah and the Whale. It was interesting to see how Mrs. Spinelli told the story through the eyes of the whale. At one point in the story the whale gets a bit frustrated that he has a man in his belly and wonders “What now?” The illustra
Jessiqa
Mar 02, 2014 Jessiqa rated it really liked it
This children's book tells the Bible story of Jonah and the whale from the whale's point of view. The illustrations were nice. I wasn't particularly drawn in by the story, even Jonah's journey is one of my favorite stories from the Bible. Perhaps the book was aimed at a younger age range than I anticipated, I'm not certain. It's a cute book, but it hardly grabbed me.
Cindy
Children are familiar with the story of Jonah, the prophet who fled from the Lord and wound up in the belly of a whale. But what about that whale? Where did he come from? What was his story? Spinelli tries to imagine HIS side of the story in this nicely illustrated picture book. And while I really liked the pictures, I did find the story a little odd. The whale listens to the Lord and goes to save Jonah. But he also prays. That struck me as weird. I don't think I would buy this one, but I might ...more
The Loopy Librarian
Feb 24, 2012 The Loopy Librarian rated it really liked it
The simple text and soft, comforting illustrations make the story of Jonah’s whale very endearing. Told from the point-of-view of the whale, it gives the gentle message of what it means to obey and to wait on the Lord. This book does not explain Jonah’s story, and at first this bothered me. He is thrown overboard because he is at fault for the storm, but that is the only explanation given. Upon a second reading though I began to appreciate this story for what it was. It was never meant to be Jon ...more
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
A beautifully retold kid-friendly version of the familiar biblical story.
Kaylin Godfrey
Dec 30, 2015 Kaylin Godfrey rated it did not like it
uhhh... uhhh... uhhhh... i didn't relly like it
Dana
Aug 20, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated children's book telling the story of Jonah and the whale from the whale's point of view. Whale tells how God has cared for him and how God asked him to save Jonah when he was thrown overboard. Lovely story.
Susan
A wonderful book. The story of Jonah told from the whale's point of view revives an old story and makes it fresh. Told in a poet's tongue, accessible and lyric, it's thoughtful and thought-provoking for children.
Meredith Atkinson
Aug 27, 2013 Meredith Atkinson rated it it was amazing
I love that the story is told through the whale's voice. The illustrations are beautiful and Spinelli's telling of the tale gives children a gentle understanding of this important Biblical story.
Jen
Oct 04, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This book ends somewhat abruptly. I appreciate that the whale was lonely and confused as was Jonah. Not exactly biblical, but many of the Jonah stories aren't. Beautiful illustrations.
Amy
Jul 05, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet book with beautiful illustrations. Unusually written from the whale's perspective. Would have liked the story to develop just a wee bit more, but nicely done.
Marcie
Does notpack the punch of the Biblical version, but telling the story from the whale's point of view is interesting.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I liked the illustrations in this one but the story was a somewhat different rendition of Jonah and the Whale.
Shelli
May 16, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting read. Never heard the story of Jonah and the Whale through the point of view of the Whale before.
Dana
Jan 17, 2013 Dana rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated and wonderfully retelling of the Bible story. We all loved this one. I'd love to own a copy.
Rachel
Feb 23, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Classic Bible story retold in a lyrical text with stunning illustrations --> Seriously, what's not to love?
Edward Sullivan
Jul 17, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An unusual, enjoyable retelling from the whale's perspective of the biblical story. Lovely illustrations.
Brindi
Jun 09, 2012 Brindi rated it it was amazing
A perfect children's picture book for a Christian family. Must remember for when I have kids!
Beverly
Nov 18, 2012 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-christian
An interesting version with very nice illustrations and a poetic style of prose.
Heather
Jul 26, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story of Jonah and the whale from the whale's perspective. Very nicely done.
Lynda Shoup
Illustrator lives in Italy,
Ester Gorfer
Ester Gorfer marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Nancy Cook
Nancy Cook marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...