Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)

Bound (Arelia LaRue #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  4,327 ratings  ·  323 reviews
Sixteen year old Arelia LaRue lives in New Orleans where the music is loud, voodoo queens inhabit every street corner, and the ghosts are alive and well. Despite her surroundings, all she wants is to help her Grand-mere Bea pay the rent and save up for college.

When her best friend Sabrina convinces her to take a well-paying summer job at the infamous Darkwood plantation,...more
Kindle Edition
Published October 28th 2011 by Kira Saito

To ask other readers questions about Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound

Giselle
This cover is gorgeous, and the intriguing synopsis about voodoo had me excited to read it. Sadly, this wasn't for me. Even though the plot was mysterious, the characters were infuriating.

Let's start with Arelia, who has been hearing spirits her whole life. She's taken a summer job at a plantation which appears to be filled with spirits and strange happenings. Arelia comes off as very immature for the most part of the book. She would overreact to the smallest things, as well as believe everythin...more
Books
The first thing that cemented my interest in this novel was the way it was written. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but the end result is that I absolutely loved this story and I can’t wait to read the second and third books, which the author had also gifted me.

Apart from the flowing- and meticulous writing, the story itself was intriguing and full of interesting facts about hoodoo and voodoo. By the end of the story I understood that there is a difference between hoodoo and voodoo, and I no...more
Vesmé
S
I picked this up because it was free, and even though the cover was a bit off-putting for me (not my style), the synopsis sounded a bit interesting, so I gave it a go. And it went... quickly. I read it in just over a day, but since it's only 140 pages, that makes sense.

The problem with this book is that it was entertaining, but not very good. Good enough to read the next two, maybe... when I'm craving an easy read that requires no thinking. But it is predictable, and over the top, and the charac...more
Sanette
Eh, it was okay but nothing special. The characters didn't capture me and Sabrina was so annoying that I almost stopped reading the book. Arelia was annoying and always running away from everything. Ivan was confusing and I could never get a clear picture of Lucas.

The ending sucked, it was like she suddenly decided to stop writing, it felt totally out of left field and not an ending to a book. I understand that she was intending it to be a cliff hanger, but NOTHING happens in this book so I can'...more
Christine McIntosh
I must not have been paying attention to what page I was on but all of a sudden, I was done. Just as the story was getting decent, it stops. The story-line in general has a ton of potential but much of this first installment, not even a complete book really, feels wasted. I liked it. It wasn't terrible. But it could've been a lot better.

I didn't even really like Arelia. Sometimes she was cool but most of the time she was a biotch. And why be friends with Sabrina? At all?? Ivan was interesting. B...more
Charlie
I normally do not focus or point out typos in any book because I completely understand the edit process, digital formatting and how things can just slip through the cracks despite all the effort. However, I had to share this one because it made me laugh in a good way. It didn't determine my rating or enjoyment of the story, I just thought it was awesome.

The best typo quote! "...even if it meant staying outside in the horrible heat all day and getting bitten by misquotes."

Despite the typo, Bound...more
Naj (Unputdownable Books)
I was once looking around Bound's Goodreads pages and found a lot of mixed reviews about this book. What I found on Goodreads made me want to read and decide for myself and well I did! The good reviews I agree with the bad ones not so much. I don't really get why they didn't like it at all.

This is something new for me, especially in the Young Adult Genre, I've only read about voodoo in a non-ya book just that one time last year but never read a book solely based on a protagonist who's gifted wi...more
Charlotte  Black
As soon as I received this book to my kindle and started reading I was hooked. The writing is so rich and absorbing that it was difficult to put it down even for a few minutes!

Firstly the main character, Arelia, is someone I can relate to. From a poor background she and her Gran-mere have had to work hard just to keep a roof over their heads. Everything in Arelia's life is about survival so its no surprise when she decides to take the job offer of summer work at the Darkwood Estate.

Her best fri...more
Kim
(cross-posted from The Caffeinated Diva reads blog)

The good...

I really enjoyed this book, despite the mixed reviews on Amazon. The voodoo mythology behind the story is fresh and unique, a twist on the witchy theme. It had a very real flavor to it, a lot of attention paid to incorporating true voodoo beliefs. Much of the story centers around Arelia and her dealings with the spirits, the ceremonial aspects of asking for and receiving favors very well done. Some of these spirits were clearly of the...more
Abbie
What the heck? I don't understand how Bound could be so horrible. I mean the plot seemed good when I read it, but the overall story? I've read better paranormal books. Voodoo, haunting spirits, and mystery are all interesting themes but why did the story disappoint me so badly? See, I kinda hated everyone. The characters weren't likable, you couldn't really relate to them. Arelia was the humble, hard-worker beauty with the snotty best friend, the rough past, and the deadly secret. But she still...more
Kezandra
*May contain Spoilers!

This book made me angry sometimes! I mean the story would have been so much better if certain characters did not exist in the book.

Who should exist?
Arelia: Well of course, she could be such a good YA heroine if she wasn't such a easily tempered easily pushed around girl! Over the little things that Lucas ssaid she would Blow up on him. Well Shit, let him talk. But there were times when I was actually fond of her, like when she would take care of that little boy and she stoo...more
I was going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars for this book. I eventually settled on the three mainly based on the characters...they just weren't all that likeable.

****May Contain Spoilers****
So we meet Arelia as she is packing for a summer job at Darkwood Plantation with her "friend" Sabrina , who is just awful. At Darkwood, Arelia meets a long lost relative who convinces her to explore her voodoo queen powers; meanwhile, Sabrina is busy throwing herself at the rich and gorgeous Lucas LaPla...more
Cat
I thought the plot was decent, but I found Arelia and her BFF way too annoying. Arelia is super judgmental, stubborn, and ignorant. I get that she's young and has to work, but she's not the first person to ever do this and she most certainly won't be the last. She can't seem to think beyond her own personal needs, even when she's playing second fiddle to Sabrina.

Anyhow, just as the story is getting somewhere, the book ends. Too much unnecessary ground work, not enough action.
Dialma
This book read more to me like a rough draft. The idea is interesting, but I think everything needs development. I did like Lucus and think is the only character that was fully develop in the story. I wouldn't mind the cliffhanger, if a little bit more had happened on this part of the story, but this book only covers about a week of Arelia's life. The end felt rushed and like it was a cliffhanger because the author ran out of ideas of how or where to keep going with the story and needed more tim...more
Meghan Overbury
I mean, it wasn't horrible. There were general grammar mistakes here and there, which is to be expected from a free ebook. The mythology was fairly well put-together, and even though the book ended really suddenly and some of the characters bugged me overall it wasn't bad.

But did the love interest have to be named "Lucus" instead of Lucas? Even my autocorrect wants to fix that one. Lucus sounds like mucus. And that's all I could think of when his name was mentioned (which was frequently).
Kayla
Arelia goes to the Darkwood mansion in New Orleans to make some money with her best friend during thr summer. It is then that her ancestral voodoo history catches up with her full force.
This was a free book on the Nook; I did not have high expectations but love reading YA books before bed, it could be called my guilty pleasure.
The plot was unlike anything that I have read and interested me so much that I finished it in one sitting. I was more than happy to read language that was not repetitive l...more
Alexandra
I liked this book more than I thought I would. It was free on my Nook so I didn't expect if to be great.

I liked that it mixed a little history with voodoo. The main character was smart and strong. The characters were believable. And the story was entertaining.

I hated how the book ended though. The cliffhanger was too much. I felt like I read the whole book for nothing, only to be told it will be continued in the next book. Also, it may have just been the edition I have, but there were several sp...more
Amanda Rose Chavers
To start off, let me say I downloaded this book for free.

Voodoo, New Orleans, southern plantation, magic and mystery, I was all in for this read. It is an extremely Young Adult driven plot with 16 year old Arelia LaRue as a Voodoo Queen learning her trade at a plantation home she is working in for the summer. There is romance and intrigue in every page and the writing was easy and fun to follow. This was a page turner for me from the very beginning. As many have said, it does feel like this book...more
Anoolka
1.5
Dissapointing. Short, feels unfinished. It has potential but relies on shallow characterization that is not entirely though out or consistent. Arelia is supposed to ignore the spirits, as she says she always does, but her ignoring them somehow means talking to them and telling them to go away - that's not my definition of ignoring.
The romance, all the relationships - too fast, too cliche.
Too bad, becuase the setting was interesting. Nothing happens.
Penelope
There is some young adult fiction that can be enjoyed by an older audience, and then there is some that seems to be purely for teens. This book fits into the latter category for me. It felt to me as if a teenager had written the story for one of her friends. It's easy to read, and the idea of some voodoo witchy stuff intrigued me, but the writing style is too naive for me.
Elizabeth
I was drawn to this novel because 1) it was free and 2) it's a YA paranormal novel about voodoo. I'll be honest, this novel is interesting and it's definitely better than some of the other free young adult novels that I've come across, but it does fall short for me in many places.

For one, the novel felt incomplete. It's as if Bound is just "part one" of a complete novel instead of an actual full novel. It ends abruptly and as another reviewer pointed out, and something I didn't realize until aft...more
Ashley Fetterman
I'm so disappointed with this book. I couldn't follow, it took half the book to develop any sort of plot, and by then, it wasn't anything interesting. Im at 75% of the way through and stopping because it's becoming more of drivel than anything great. I do wish that the author had spent more time on this. Im glad it was free and I didnt have to pay for it.
Jenny

So it's another one of those.

And the story?

I thought it would be different but I guess not. This one is exactly like Meg Cabot's Abandon series. It ends before it set of. I really wanted to give Cabot's series a chance so I got to the second book but that's it. For this one, I think this is the right place to stop.

The main character Arelia LaRue is a typical Cinderella with the struggle to make a living. She has no parents and one shamelessly rich and beautiful friend that at times feel threat...more
Lisa Borne Graves
No sound plot. Half a book.

I read the reviews, but it was free so I read it anyway. It's an interesting concept but is terribly executed. Besides the issues most self published books have, such as a need for further copyediting, this work needed a developmental editor as well. Originally, I would give this book about three stars; however, not having any climax, any action, or a resolution, it warrants one star. It cannot be a story without a sound plot! this is an underhanded way to try to sell...more
Lisa
This is a fabulous book! I was treading in unfamiliar waters by choosing a ya book (since I'm 43 lol) but I have to say that I really enjoyed it. The end of this first book is just the beginning... it's getting juicy;). Off to start book 2 (so excited.. happy reading to my fellow book worm friends ;)
Emily
wow for a free kindle book I couldn't ask for more!!!! this story is set in New Orleans which is one of my favorite places for a story. The main character name is Arelia(I love this name) and she sees ghosts, right up my ally! just got the second one and can't wait to start!!!
Krys
The concept of this book has loads of potential. The idea is different and original. I love the way in which the author approached the concept but the characters failed to deliver.

Arelia is hypocritical and judgmental. I don't think this was what the author intended as this side of her did not enhance the story. Her best friend Sabrina is vain, conceited and spoiled and this somehow added depth to this shallow character. Her qualities fit what the author was trying to achieve but her actions an...more
Trinity
This was a fun read, I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't to read the next book now! It took me awhile to finally get into the book but nonetheless was a fun and cool read.

Arelia:
I loved Arelia's character the most. She was caring, fun to read, and I connected with her. She always had second thoughts of Lucus though! I was over here like, "Just admit to yourself you like him already!" I wanted to know more about her powers but I didn't get enough of it.

Lucus:
I was also thinking that he was too f...more
RaShae Brown
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Eternity
  • Ignite (Midnight Fire, #1)
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Broken (Reflections #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Redemption (Redemption, #1)
  • Rippler (Ripple, #1)
  • Dangerous (Element Preservers, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • The Watchers (The Watchers, #1)
  • Amethyst  (Guardian, #1)
  • Insight (Insight, #1) (Web of Hearts and Souls #1)
Kira is a magic junkie and loves writing YA paranormal romances. Some of her heroes include: Jack the Pumpkin King, Willy Wonka, Larry David, Princess Jasmine, the vampire Lestat, Andy and her Maltese Costanza.
More about Kira Saito...
Punished (Arelia LaRue, #2) Possessed (Arelia LaRue, #3) Oppressed  (Arelia LaRue, #4) Suppressed (Arelia LaRue, #5) The Arelia LaRue Series Novels 1-4

“...people can surprise you if you let them in.” 12 likes
“That’s so mature. I thought we were past junior high school.” - Arelia
“We may be, but boys will never be” - Sabrina”
5 likes