Start by marking “A Circus Mirror Day” as Want to Read:
A Circus Mirror Day

A Circus Mirror Day (Helping Hands)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Emily Knight (or Edward Knight to everyone else) spends her days pretending to be a boy. When her creative writing teacher assigns a "Slice of Life" story, Emily relates a slice of her life, stagnant though it may be. Titled "A Circus Mirror Day," Emily relates what an average day entails---from confronting the evil known as the bathroom to getting through a school day unn ...more
Published January 2nd 2012 by Featherweight Press

To ask other readers questions about A Circus Mirror Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Circus Mirror Day

Luna by Julie Anne PetersI am J by Cris BeamAlmost Perfect by Brian KatcherParrotfish by Ellen WittlingerBeauty Queens by Libba Bray
Booklist for Trans Teens
48th out of 135 books — 189 voters
Safe by C. KennedyBoy Meets Boy by David LevithanGeography Club by Brent HartingerThe Vast Fields of Ordinary by Nick BurdTwo Boys Kissing by David Levithan
LGBT Young Adult (YA) Literature
93rd out of 214 books — 178 voters

More lists with this book...

Jackson Radish
This story was great! It seemed maybe a little rough around the edges with an unconventional writing style, but I did actually kind of end up liking the writing style too.

It's a self-described "slice of life" short story about a day in the life of a closeted trans girl in high school and her experience of having to pretend to be a boy. It wasn't earth-shattering or life changing for me, but it was sweet and felt unceremoniously realistic.

It's a short story so I don't have as much to say as in a
Rian Starr
When I clicked on this and started reading it, I didn't think I'd end up liking it as much as I did. I think a big part of it had to do with the fact that I wasn't sure where it was going, and while sometimes that is a good thing, in this I wasn't a fan. I really, really did love the way that Edward (Emily) spoke to the teacher through his (her) paper, and that was kind of a wonderful thing. I think that's where I started to fall in love with the short story. The best part of it, in my opinion, ...more
Nathan
This was not written well. It was sloppy, too fast-paced, and irritated me at some points because the author kept addressing me. But this was a self-proclaimed "slice of life" story, and slices of life are not often conditioned right to be written perfectly. All the same, I ought to give it only 3 stars.

But I gave it 5. Because this story had me close to tears, literally. My emotional response to this story is unprecedented, and totally unusual for me. But it was there. There's a bathroom scene
Pia Veleno
While I have to assume the rambling style of the prose was meant to make it sound like a teen, there is a point where a writer can lose an interested reader by emulating too much. Yes, Ash did a fine job exposing the emotions and internal trials of a transgendered youth, but most of this short story dragged. Had it not been both short, and about a topic near and dear to my heart, I would've given up reading it.

Now that being said, if you'd like to understand more about what transgendered people
Bookbee
3.5 Stars

An interesting format. Having said that, I found that it, as well as the story's length, kept me at arms-length from the character. A shame because I really would have liked to get to know the character better.
Jackie
Moving and effective, but incredibly short. My heart went out to Emily and I found myself hoping one day she can look in the mirror and see her true self.
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ignatius
Ignatius marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Tetyana
Tetyana marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Joey Jumpstart
Joey Jumpstart marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Sam Brehm
Sam Brehm marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
♥★Julia
♥★Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Alois
Alois marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Arjuna G
Arjuna G marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Korin
Korin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013