Start by marking “A Circus Mirror Day” as Want to Read:
A Circus Mirror Day

A Circus Mirror Day (Helping Hands)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Emily Knight (or Edward Knight to everyone else) spends her days pretending to be a boy. When her creative writing teacher assigns a "Slice of Life" story, Emily relates a slice of her life, stagnant though it may be. Titled "A Circus Mirror Day," Emily relates what an average day entails---from confronting the evil known as the bathroom to getting through a school day unn ...more
Published January 2nd 2012 by Featherweight Press

To ask other readers questions about A Circus Mirror Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Circus Mirror Day

Luna by Julie Anne PetersBeing Emily by Rachel GoldBeautiful Music for Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-MillsI am J by Cris BeamParrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger
Booklist for Trans Teens
68th out of 229 books — 323 voters
Jerkbait by Mia SiegertConsider by Kristy AcevedoTo All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny HanBrown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline WoodsonThe Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno
Diversity In Children's Media
116th out of 122 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Jackson Radish
May 27, 2012 Jackson Radish rated it it was amazing
This story was great! It seemed maybe a little rough around the edges with an unconventional writing style, but I did actually kind of end up liking the writing style too.

It's a self-described "slice of life" short story about a day in the life of a closeted trans girl in high school and her experience of having to pretend to be a boy. It wasn't earth-shattering or life changing for me, but it was sweet and felt unceremoniously realistic.

It's a short story so I don't have as much to say as in a
Isra Starr
Jan 18, 2012 Isra Starr rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012, reviewed
When I clicked on this and started reading it, I didn't think I'd end up liking it as much as I did. I think a big part of it had to do with the fact that I wasn't sure where it was going, and while sometimes that is a good thing, in this I wasn't a fan. I really, really did love the way that Edward (Emily) spoke to the teacher through his (her) paper, and that was kind of a wonderful thing. I think that's where I started to fall in love with the short story. The best part of it, in my opinion, ...more
Nathan
Apr 27, 2012 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This was not written well. It was sloppy, too fast-paced, and irritated me at some points because the author kept addressing me. But this was a self-proclaimed "slice of life" story, and slices of life are not often conditioned right to be written perfectly. All the same, I ought to give it only 3 stars.

But I gave it 5. Because this story had me close to tears, literally. My emotional response to this story is unprecedented, and totally unusual for me. But it was there. There's a bathroom scene
Pia Veleno
Mar 28, 2012 Pia Veleno rated it liked it
While I have to assume the rambling style of the prose was meant to make it sound like a teen, there is a point where a writer can lose an interested reader by emulating too much. Yes, Ash did a fine job exposing the emotions and internal trials of a transgendered youth, but most of this short story dragged. Had it not been both short, and about a topic near and dear to my heart, I would've given up reading it.

Now that being said, if you'd like to understand more about what transgendered people
Inukie
Feb 11, 2016 Inukie rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
A refreshing slice of life story about a transgender teenager. Emily is articulate about the problems she faces while still having room for personality and the sometimes silly asides into what makes up her experience of adolescence.
I really wish I'd read this sooner, it has a lot of heart. So many trans stories get taken up by a kind of obligation to advocate for themselves, or the romantic compulsion to come out, or romantic hijinks. There isn't room for what this is, Normalcy.
Bookbee
3.5 Stars

An interesting format. Having said that, I found that it, as well as the story's length, kept me at arms-length from the character. A shame because I really would have liked to get to know the character better.
Jackie
Sep 08, 2013 Jackie rated it liked it
Moving and effective, but incredibly short. My heart went out to Emily and I found myself hoping one day she can look in the mirror and see her true self.
birdbrain
birdbrain marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Kailey Hein
Kailey Hein marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Fantus
Fantus marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Marika
Marika marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Gabriel Frost
Gabriel Frost marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Sofía
Sofía rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
C.J.
C.J. marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Tami
Tami added it
Oct 10, 2015
Neil MacDonald
Neil MacDonald marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Harris
Harris marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Danni
Danni marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Noa
Noa rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Brittani
Brittani marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Martine
Martine marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Vee S
Vee S marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ignatius
Ignatius marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014