Start by marking “Fantastic Four, Volume 5” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Four, Volume 5

Fantastic Four, Volume 5 (Fantastic Four, by Jonathan Hickman #7)

Earth is under simultaneous attack on multiple fronts. As the Future Foundation and its allies struggle to hold back the Kree Armada, Annihilus' Negative Zone forces prepare to enter our universe through a portal in the Baxter Building. And a fate far worse is coming. If Earth is to be saved, it will take help from Galactus, the return of an old friend, and a miracle.
Colle
Published July 25th 2012 by Marvel (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four, Volume 5

Sesana
Oct 25, 2014 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I kind of messed up a little bit. I didn't realize that, after volume four, Fantastic Four took a break and switched to FF. So I missed roughly a dozen issues between the last volume I read and this one. In my defense, you'd need to dig more than I imagine most casual readers would bother to to find that out now. Did it matter? In the end, not so much. I was able to understand enough of what happened during that time in order to follow this event. But probably it would have been better if I'd re ...more
Terence
Oct 24, 2015 Terence rated it liked it
The Kree are invading Earth to annihilate the Inhumans and Annihilus is attempting to invade and take over the Earth as well.

A lot happens here and I honestly hadn't read enough to know why all this was going on. I followed the Inhumans storyline into this volume. This volume was the typical crossover which features a ton of characters and major battles. Some very unexpected events take place is the most I can say.
Gavin
Jul 16, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
OK Hickman, your convoluted and cosmos-spanning storylines finally come to a head here. It was just about worth all the headaches so that I knew what the F*** was going on.

There were quite a few HOLY S*** moments, when I was actually like:

description

I feel like a lot of people don't like Hickman because he operates on a cosmic scale, multiverses, layered stories that take a while for the payoff, and I'm usually not interested in a story taking THAT much effort (but I'm not going to say if there's more than
Mike
Summary: blew the back of my head off.

This is (a) a simultaneous read of FF volume 3 and Fantastic Four volume 5, and (b) a late BuddyRead of Foursome Week with my pleasingly weird Shallow Comics Readers.

So I'm trying to read the Hickman from start to finish, because God help me the last time I tried to get through his run on the FF-verse, I lost interest - despite Doom, evil Reed Richardses, super-intelligent kids and lots of major courtly...courtliness. Yeah, I think it's that last part (alon
Aaron
Mar 05, 2015 Aaron rated it it was amazing
This is nearly a perfect comic book. Hickman has been laying the groundwork for this finale for dozens of issues, and now everything culminates in a huge, glorious fight that never feels like just a fight. It feels important and connected, because every single detail has been planned and executed by a master writer. This is one of my favorite comics I've ever read, hands down.

I will say, it will probably only feel that way to someone who's been reading all of Hickman's FF stuff up until this poi
Damon
May 07, 2016 Damon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
good
Sans
Jun 03, 2017 Sans rated it it was amazing
Holy buckets. Ok, as I probably mentioned in a previous review, I've never been one for the family of fantasticalness. But this. Wow. My jaw literally dropped and I had to put the book down for a minute at one point. I sat there staring at my cat, jaw still hanging, mind totally blown, wondering how in the seven hells Hickman came up with this. It shouldn't work. Only it does. It works so. Fucking. Well.

I do think that being able to read this in one go (or three, given my need to go to work and
Craig
Sep 24, 2012 Craig rated it it was amazing
Whoa! Wow! Amazing! I just had my mind blown by a comic book for the first time in, like, forever. This was a truly awesome collection and amazing conclusion to the storyline that Hickman set up so carefully throughout his run on the title. The "war of the four cities" comes to a conclusion that's not quite what you might have expected, but much more significant. This is cosmic storytelling done right (and I'm usually not a fan of the cosmic books from either Marvel or DC). Great storytelling an ...more
William Thomas
This is the greatest Fantastic Four story that has ever been published. I can't stress enough how perfect it is. I can't even review it, don't want to. You just have to read it. I cried it was so damn good. Jesus, I literally cried.
Oscar Salas
Jun 08, 2015 Oscar Salas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hickman se toma en serio lo que significa hacer El Cómic Más Grande del Mundo.
No diré más porque el fanatismo y la emoción me ciegan, amo a estos personajes, amo lo que hizo Hickman con ellos y estoy muy feliz.
Eso.
Matt Anderson
May 18, 2014 Matt Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collects Fantastic Four issues #600-604

This is one of the best modern Marvel stories I've ever read, but be warned that you can't start with this volume. There is a lot to read before you can appreciate what happens in this book. In fact, I don't believe you could read this book, and fully understand all the intricacies of what is happening. Before reading this, you need to read the following collected editions:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four (by Hickman) volumes 1-4
FF (by Hickman) volu
Alan
Jul 12, 2014 Alan rated it liked it
I'm not going to pretend that I can ignore the discussions here about Hickman's current Avengers run, especially as I am pretty much in agreement with much of what has been said. There is a part of me that thinks someone at Marvel said while reading his FF and Fantastic Four work, "Lets give him all of the Avengers titles and see what he can do. Better yet, we'll just let him do what he wants."

I think he had a better grasp of what to do with the FF though. He has the characterization pretty much
Drown Hollum
May 19, 2014 Drown Hollum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The was phenomenal. Absolutely everything there is to love about Hickman's interpretation of the Fantastic Four is summed up right here in this volume. A massive battle is handled perfectly across this thick collection, with the whole Marvel U there to support a barrage of heavy emotional blows. The scale is huge, the consequences dire, and the feelings are absolutely exhausting. The supporting artists include some guest appearances from Carmine Di Giandomencio, Ming Doyle, Francis Lenil Yu and ...more
Sean
Jul 20, 2014 Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Marvel comics fans!
Jonathan Hickman's ideas are pretty over the top. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. Here, its a huge hit. There is a lot going on, at times too much, but overall Hickman reigns it in and tells an epic story. The collection is big due to the monstrous issue #600 which had some superfluous moments. The art in that chapter also did not mesh with the rest of the collection. Alternate realities, time travel, godlike battles, etc. This book has all this and more. Overall, a very nice ending to a ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 07, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
This is the epic that Hickman has been building his whole run toward. I thought the 600th issue that leads things off dragged a bit. As is often the case, the comic wasn't helped by longer page count. However from there it kept trending upward, as we get more and more things from the run rolled together. It was perhaps wasn't up to the height of the run, but it was still a strong conclusion of the major plot strands.
Jacob
Jan 16, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it
I totally agree Jonathan Hickman has been a capable and worthy writer of this title, but I haven't liked his Fantastic Four stories as much as his volume one story until now. Volume 5 has two terrific collaborating storytellers: Steve Epting (sorely missed from Captain America, which hasn't been as interesting since he left)and Barry Kitson. Their combined efforts demonstrate to readers how high the stakes were with intense action.
AMS
Dec 24, 2013 AMS rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, comics
So EPIC! After the first volume I became an instant fan of Fantastic Four but this volume was the icing on the cake. Everything Hickman has built up to in his work on Fantastic Four and FF come to a head in this volume and man was it so good. If you aren't a Fantastic Four fan, read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four, no worries if you stop after this volume since is slows down a bit afterwards. If you are a Fantastic Four fan, shame on you if you haven't read this.
James
Oct 26, 2013 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
It's the culmination of the story Hickman has been building throughout his run, but the scale is almost too big to connect with as all sorts of cosmic characters show up for their moment onscreen. The pace is frenzied, and the ultimate existential threat is countered by a deus ex machina from the future. Especially in the context of the Marvel Universe, it's hard to believe any of this matters, even as it's happening.
Joshua
Aug 24, 2014 Joshua rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Really cool conclusion to an excellent arc. If felt like I was missing a little moving from the fourth volume to this one (it starts in the middle of a Kree invasion I hadn't seen coming) and it turns out I was (Future Foundation covers a lot of that as well as the whole "All hope lies in Doom" story), but it still made sense. Franklin Richards is pretty dang awesome too.
Mathew Carruthers
Aug 22, 2014 Mathew Carruthers rated it really liked it
I've never read much Fantastic Four, but this was recommended to me at the local library - must say, I am not disappointed. Truly outstanding story and solid artwork. That being said, I don't know that it's enough to make me plow through decades of back issues to fill in my knowledge gaps (which are sizeable) on FF canon.
Tom
Nov 03, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The end of the epic arc

Hickman ended his big Fantastic Four arc here. The story isn't quite complete. The Future Foundation Volume 3 has the rest of it, though this half reads more satisfactorily on its own.
Angela
Mar 15, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The huge ongoing storyline concludes, and guess what Johnny is not dead. Didn't last long, did it? This is a great read if you've read all the other volumes and FF. If not, I bet you're going to be very confused.
Marco
Sep 17, 2013 Marco rated it really liked it
Much better than the companion volume (FF Vol. 3).
David
Jan 25, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Hickman continues his headspinningly great works...
Mf
May 04, 2013 Mf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnny's back!! A bit disjointed overall as a story, it does shine in how everyone responds to Johnny's return.
Tony
Sep 26, 2015 Tony rated it it was amazing
Issue 600 is incredible and earned and then the scale just gets more and more insane and cosmic. Hell of a comic.
Sharon
Mar 22, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Stephen
Nov 13, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Now this was powerful stuff. Someone dies, and it is handled the right way (as compared to Cap, or Professor X).
Chambers Stevens
Chambers Stevens rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Lynette
Lynette rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2013
  • Daredevil, Volume 3
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 6
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, Volume 8
  • X-Factor: Heart Of Ice
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Fantastic Four, by Jonathan Hickman (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dark Reign: Fantastic Four