Start by marking “Fantastic Four, Volume 5” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Four, Volume 5

Fantastic Four, Volume 5 (Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman #5)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  462 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Earth is under simultaneous attack on multiple fronts. As the Future Foundation and its allies struggle to hold back the Kree Armada, Annihilus' Negative Zone forces prepare to enter our universe through a portal in the Baxter Building. And a fate far worse is coming. If Earth is to be saved, it will take help from Galactus, the return of an old friend--and a miracle.--tak ...more
Published July 25th 2012 by Marvel (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Four, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Four, Volume 5

Sesana
I kind of messed up a little bit. I didn't realize that, after volume four, Fantastic Four took a break and switched to FF. So I missed roughly a dozen issues between the last volume I read and this one. In my defense, you'd need to dig more than I imagine most casual readers would bother to to find that out now. Did it matter? In the end, not so much. I was able to understand enough of what happened during that time in order to follow this event. But probably it would have been better if I'd re ...more
Mike
Summary: blew the back of my head off.

This is (a) a simultaneous read of FF volume 3 and Fantastic Four volume 5, and (b) a late BuddyRead of Foursome Week with my pleasingly weird Shallow Comics Readers.

So I'm trying to read the Hickman from start to finish, because God help me the last time I tried to get through his run on the FF-verse, I lost interest - despite Doom, evil Reed Richardses, super-intelligent kids and lots of major courtly...courtliness. Yeah, I think it's that last part (alon
Aaron
This is nearly a perfect comic book. Hickman has been laying the groundwork for this finale for dozens of issues, and now everything culminates in a huge, glorious fight that never feels like just a fight. It feels important and connected, because every single detail has been planned and executed by a master writer. This is one of my favorite comics I've ever read, hands down.

I will say, it will probably only feel that way to someone who's been reading all of Hickman's FF stuff up until this poi
Gavin
OK Hickman, your convoluted and cosmos-spanning storylines finally come to a head here. It was just about worth all the headaches so that I knew what the F*** was going on.

There were quite a few HOLY S*** moments, when I was actually like:

description

I feel like a lot of people don't like Hickman because he operates on a cosmic scale, multiverses, layered stories that take a while for the payoff, and I'm usually not interested in a story taking THAT much effort (but I'm not going to say if there's more than
Oscar Salas
Hickman se toma en serio lo que significa hacer El Cómic Más Grande del Mundo.
No diré más porque el fanatismo y la emoción me ciegan, amo a estos personajes, amo lo que hizo Hickman con ellos y estoy muy feliz.
Eso.
Craig
Whoa! Wow! Amazing! I just had my mind blown by a comic book for the first time in, like, forever. This was a truly awesome collection and amazing conclusion to the storyline that Hickman set up so carefully throughout his run on the title. The "war of the four cities" comes to a conclusion that's not quite what you might have expected, but much more significant. This is cosmic storytelling done right (and I'm usually not a fan of the cosmic books from either Marvel or DC). Great storytelling an ...more
Alan
I'm not going to pretend that I can ignore the discussions here about Hickman's current Avengers run, especially as I am pretty much in agreement with much of what has been said. There is a part of me that thinks someone at Marvel said while reading his FF and Fantastic Four work, "Lets give him all of the Avengers titles and see what he can do. Better yet, we'll just let him do what he wants."

I think he had a better grasp of what to do with the FF though. He has the characterization pretty much
Matt Anderson
Collects Fantastic Four issues #600-604

This is one of the best modern Marvel stories I've ever read, but be warned that you can't start with this volume. There is a lot to read before you can appreciate what happens in this book. In fact, I don't believe you could read this book, and fully understand all the intricacies of what is happening. Before reading this, you need to read the following collected editions:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four (by Hickman) volumes 1-4
FF (by Hickman) volu
Drown Hollum
The was phenomenal. Absolutely everything there is to love about Hickman's interpretation of the Fantastic Four is summed up right here in this volume. A massive battle is handled perfectly across this thick collection, with the whole Marvel U there to support a barrage of heavy emotional blows. The scale is huge, the consequences dire, and the feelings are absolutely exhausting. The supporting artists include some guest appearances from Carmine Di Giandomencio, Ming Doyle, Francis Lenil Yu and ...more
William Thomas
This is the greatest Fantastic Four story that has ever been published. I can't stress enough how perfect it is. I can't even review it, don't want to. You just have to read it. I cried it was so damn good. Jesus, I literally cried.
Joshua
Really cool conclusion to an excellent arc. If felt like I was missing a little moving from the fourth volume to this one (it starts in the middle of a Kree invasion I hadn't seen coming) and it turns out I was (Future Foundation covers a lot of that as well as the whole "All hope lies in Doom" story), but it still made sense. Franklin Richards is pretty dang awesome too.
Mathew Carruthers
I've never read much Fantastic Four, but this was recommended to me at the local library - must say, I am not disappointed. Truly outstanding story and solid artwork. That being said, I don't know that it's enough to make me plow through decades of back issues to fill in my knowledge gaps (which are sizeable) on FF canon.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
AMS
So EPIC! After the first volume I became an instant fan of Fantastic Four but this volume was the icing on the cake. Everything Hickman has built up to in his work on Fantastic Four and FF come to a head in this volume and man was it so good. If you aren't a Fantastic Four fan, read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four, no worries if you stop after this volume since is slows down a bit afterwards. If you are a Fantastic Four fan, shame on you if you haven't read this.
Sean
Nov 23, 2014 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Marvel comics fans!
Jonathan Hickman's ideas are pretty over the top. Sometimes it hits, sometimes it misses. Here, its a huge hit. There is a lot going on, at times too much, but overall Hickman reigns it in and tells an epic story. The collection is big due to the monstrous issue #600 which had some superfluous moments. The art in that chapter also did not mesh with the rest of the collection. Alternate realities, time travel, godlike battles, etc. This book has all this and more. Overall, a very nice ending to a ...more
Jacob
I totally agree Jonathan Hickman has been a capable and worthy writer of this title, but I haven't liked his Fantastic Four stories as much as his volume one story until now. Volume 5 has two terrific collaborating storytellers: Steve Epting (sorely missed from Captain America, which hasn't been as interesting since he left)and Barry Kitson. Their combined efforts demonstrate to readers how high the stakes were with intense action.
James
It's the culmination of the story Hickman has been building throughout his run, but the scale is almost too big to connect with as all sorts of cosmic characters show up for their moment onscreen. The pace is frenzied, and the ultimate existential threat is countered by a deus ex machina from the future. Especially in the context of the Marvel Universe, it's hard to believe any of this matters, even as it's happening.
Shannon Appelcline
This is the epic that Hickman has been building his whole run toward. I thought the 600th issue that leads things off dragged a bit. As is often the case, the comic wasn't helped by longer page count. However from there it kept trending upward, as we get more and more things from the run rolled together. It was perhaps wasn't up to the height of the run, but it was still a strong conclusion of the major plot strands.
Angela
The huge ongoing storyline concludes, and guess what Johnny is not dead. Didn't last long, did it? This is a great read if you've read all the other volumes and FF. If not, I bet you're going to be very confused.
Stephen
Now this was powerful stuff. Someone dies, and it is handled the right way (as compared to Cap, or Professor X).
Myke
It's all been building up to this, and it was well worth it. Great writing from Hickman and some equally great art.
Mf
Johnny's back!! A bit disjointed overall as a story, it does shine in how everyone responds to Johnny's return.
Frans Karlsson
The thrilling conclusion to the threaths from the mad celestials. Great story really enjoyed it.
Brett Bukowski
Thumbs down to Marvel for skipping a dozen issues between vol. 4 and this volume...
Marco
Much better than the companion volume (FF Vol. 3).
David
Hickman continues his headspinningly great works...
Jacobi
Epic-sauce.
Nuno Gil
Nuno Gil marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Daredevil, Volume 2
  • Nova, Vol. 5: War of Kings
  • Captain America Omnibus, Vol. 3
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman (7 books)
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 1
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 2
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 3
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 4
  • Fantastic Four, Volume 6
  • Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise (East of West, #1-5) The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad East of West, Vol. 2: We Are All One (East of West, #6-10) Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World The Nightly News

“Ever boy deserves a father.” 1 likes