Start by marking “The Gift Box” as Want to Read:
The Gift Box

The Gift Box

One day Ollie’s mother tells him that he is “a beautiful gift.” Delighted with this new “identity,” Ollie invites his friend Benjamin to guess what it is. When poor Benjamin cannot guess, despite many hints, Ollie refuses to play with him. Seeing that he’s hurt his friend’s feelings, Ollie realizes that the best gift of all is friendship. Rohan Henry has wonderfully ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Gift Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift Box

Edward Sullivan
May 11, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ollie the elephant learns that friendship is the best gift of all.
Erin
Feb 01, 2012 Erin rated it liked it

We were pretty delighted with The Gift Box. The book we were sent is 9x9 in size featuring a hardcover and has a shiny, eye catching cover illustration making this book one a child would probably aim to grab right away for story time. I for one really liked the fun child-like drawn illustrations used as well as the colors. As I read this story to my children ages 3 1/2 & 1 years old, I could almost see the lively little characters dancing off the pages as they paraded around.

We found this to
Nielson
Apr 16, 2012 Nielson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Ollie's mother calls him a beautiful gift, he can't wait for his friend Benjamin to guess what he is. After giving all kinds of hints, Ollie gets mad that Benjamin can't guess what he is, but what Benjamin and Ollie finally realize is that friendship is a beautiful gift too. Although the main message of the book is on friendship, I thought the message of Ollie being a beautiful gift to his mother was an even sweeter one. Cute story with simple illustrations.
Heather
Apr 02, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
I realy liked the simple illustrations and the appropriately simple font. I thought it was sweet and left room to "discuss". Brilliantly done.

someone else on goodreads said this, and I agree
children's self concepts, friendship and empathy.
Shelli
May 10, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the very simple illustrations to this story. Elephant is complimented by his mother and tries to convey the compliment to his friend, Dog. Dog doesn't pick up what Elephant is putting down though, and confusion and silliness occurs.
Margaret Chind
Nov 25, 2012 Margaret Chind rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Laura Mihalick
A book about friendship and the importance of others in our lives. Would make a good story-time book.

*Thanks to Abrams for providing a copy for review.*
Fjóla
A very cute and satisfying book, about a mother's terms of endearment, friendship and imaginary play. My five year old read it himself, and he thought it was absolutely marvelous.
Emma
jo
jo rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Michaelyuri
Michaelyuri rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was ok
May 31, 2012
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Ollie can't wait to tell Benjamin, his friend about what his mom said to him. K.T.
Anders Jensen
Anders Jensen rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2015
Jj
Jj rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2013
Eli
Eli rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Sara Lemonade
Sara Lemonade rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2012
Amanda Hintz
Amanda Hintz rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Guen
Guen rated it it was ok
May 25, 2014
Different Cultures, Different Gifts, Different Gift Packaging 1 1 Nov 03, 2016 12:00AM