Start by marking “Tallahassee Higgins” as Want to Read:
Tallahassee Higgins

Mary Downing Hahn

Tallahassee Higgins

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  51 reviews
"Out of sight, out of mind." That's what Tallahassee Higgins' mother, Liz, always says about her ex-boyfriends. But now that Tallahassee has been sent to live with her aunt and uncle in Maryland so Liz can start a movie career in California, the words are taking on new meaning. Aunt Thelma says that Liz is gone for good, but Talley is sure her mother will come for her. So ...more
Published (first published April 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Tallahassee Higgins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tallahassee Higgins

Hilary
This book is better than I thought it would be.

At twelve, Tallahassee is more adult than her mother will ever be. She matter-of-factly copes with situations that would make most grown-ups blanch -- and in the end, finds her own niche while staying true to herself.

Not that she still won't need years of therapy, later on...

No happy ending. But the ending does ring true.
Allison
I read this in 4th grade during our state testing week. My librarian thought it was too advanced for me but two days later I returned because I had finished it and needed another. I always seem to recall this book when I think back to elementary school. Though it has been years since I read it, the characters and the story always stick with me. I wish I owned a copy.
Julie Decker
Tallahassee is a girl who's spent her entire life being raised by a mom with stars in her eyes. One day--according to Talley's mom--she's going to stop having to wait tables and make it as a real movie star. But as her mom chases that dream, Talley's never been able to put down roots or have a stable existence, and so she gets dropped off at her strict Aunt Thelma's.

Talley hates it there. Aunt Thelma talks crap about her mom, suggests she's the same way and will amount to nothing, and imposes im
Sandra Garza
Tallahassee a young twelve year old girl,who lives with her young cool hip mother that lets her do whatever she wants has a change in life when she is left with her old fashioned, strick aunt. while her mom liz is having the time of her life in hollywood Tallahassee is left to deal with aunt Thelma's dumb rules that Dont seem that appealing. Life seems to be over for Tallahassee but is it really? Tallahassee will discover that what she seemed to love the most inst what she really needed in life. ...more
Lindsay Garner
*a book from your childhood*
The book that started my love for reading. I first read this is 1994 and still loved every minute of it.
Talley and her mom lived as free spirits - more like friends than mother and daughter. When Talley's mom decides that 12 years of raising a child is long enough and that she needs some "me" time, Liz puts her daughter on a plane and runs off with a boyfriend to California to become a movie star. Liz says she'll send for Talley once they get settled, but Liz has a history of leaving people behind.

Talley goes to live with her loving uncle and not-very-nice aunt. It's hard to adjust to a new life f
Lolene
Where has this little gem of a book been hiding? I have known Mary Downing Hahn more for her eminently readable ghost stories (Think Wait Till Helen Comes, The Doll in the Garden, The Old Willis Place) than for other genres. There was nary a ghost to be found in this story of a young girl who is sent to live with her aunt and uncle in Maryland while her irresponsible mother goes off to chase her dream of being an actress in Hollywood.

The reason I like this book so much is that it tells Tallahas
Dave Kiersh
Tallahassee is a resilient little girl with a free-spirited mother. Her mom, who she calls Liz, suffers from depression, and Tallahassee, however young, is often there to cheer her mother up. But when her waitress mother meets one of many boyfriends, she decides to run away from Florida to California to follow her pie in the sky dream of becoming an acttress. Instead of bringing Tallahassee with her, she sends him to live with her estranged brother and his wife in Maryland.

Tallahassee believes t
Swankivy
Yes, this is about a girl named Tallahassee. (I knew very well what "Tallahassee" was, considering I'd recently moved to Florida when I read this and that was the capital of my new state.) Poor Tallahassee kind of has an abusive mom, but not in the more obvious way. Her mom has been stringing her along and refusing to maturely provide a stable existence for her daughter, routinely uprooting her and making her follow her across the country as she chases fame and success. And all along, Talley has ...more
Madison Swickard
this book was inspiring and sad all at the same time it made me laugh and it almost made me cry it was amazing. this book was about a young girl named Tallahassee Higgins she was forced to stay with her aunt Thelma and uncle she hated it they gave her to many rules and she missed her mom who was currently on the rode to make it big in Hollywood. will Tallahassee figure out how to make it back to her mom read the book to find out.
Murphy L
I liked this book and gave it a five stars because i love mary downing hahns books and it is about a girl who doesnt know who her dad is and her mom cant keep a job so she goes and lives with relatives and her mom basicaly drops her off and doesnt call or send post cards. tallahassee is having a hard time because she hass lived her life with no rules and doing what ever she wants when she wants and know she has rules from her aunt and uncle. She also feels that her aunt hates her. Her mom lived ...more
Joi Joyner
Good Book

Good Book

I remember reading Mary Downing Hahn's paranormal stories as a child and I have to say, I didn't expect an actual realistic tale but she did pretty well with this one. I loved it and I also liked that it told the moral that many children and adults don't like to face.
Nikki Boisture
A great book from my early teen years. This book follows twelve year old Tallahassee Higgins. Her mother has left Tally with her brother (Talley's Uncle Dan) and his wife while she goes to California to make it big in movies. The mother is a total flake. Talley has trouble fitting in at her new school and does not get along with her Aunt Thelma. She worries about when she's going to move to California with her mom, who is calling and writing less frequently.

It's a good book. Mary Downing Hahn w
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Out of sight, out of mind.” That’s what Tallahassee Higgins’s mother, Liz, always says about her ex-boyfriends. But now that Tallahassee has been sent to live with her aunt and uncle in Maryland so Liz can start a movie career in California, the words are taking on new meaning. Aunt Thelma says that Liz is gone for good, but Talley is sure her mother will come for her. So who cares if mean Aunt Thelma hates her, if she’s failing sixth grade, or if the kids at school think she’s a liar? I
Katie
I read this book so I could help my daughter with her book report. As an adult, I thought it was boring. However, my girls liked it so I went with their rating.
Camille Lopez
A one of a kind novel. This is reality!

Tallahassee (love the name) Was left by her mother To a relative she didn't even knew. And then of course there's the evil step mother (Although here its her aunt) who hates her and wants nothing of her. Talley misses her mom a lot except Her mom doesn't seem to miss her that much, because if she did then why doesn't she send money for Talley?

Questions to be answered:
Will she ever be reunited with her mom again?
Why does her aunt hates her a lot?
Who is Talle
Lisa Houston
I really enjoyed this book. It's not her typical spooky ghost story. I think certain students will enjoy this book.
Jae-lynn Hogan
This book was kinda sad but i made it thur it... LOL
Jordan Wilson
I inherited this book from my older sister when I was in elementary school. I don't remember if I read it right away or if it sat on my shelves for a while. Then one day, while perusing my school library, I picked up 'Wait Till Helen Comes'. I LOVED that book so much. To my surprise Mary Downing Hahn came to my school to read to us and sign books! That's when I remembered I actually owned one of her books already! I ended up really enjoying this book and having a signed copy/meeting the author o ...more
JennLynn
A rather disappointing book. I didn't find the main characters particularly likable until the very end. Usually I sympathize with the protagonist, but I have to admit Tallahassee was hard to warm up to, despite her circumstances. I actually felt more sorry for the aunt who'd had her marriage intruded on by first Liz (Tallahassee's mom) and then Tallahassee. It's just sad that any kids have to grow up with irresponsible parents; Tallahassee is probably luckier than many.
Julie
I read this when I was a kid. I can't quite remember what age...in forth or fifth grade maybe.
I remember liking it, and the one thing that stuck with me is that Tallahassee gets to ride on an airplane all alone when she is sent to her aunt's house. I remember thinking that was so weird and cool, because I had never even been on an airplane, and couldn't imagine my mom ever letting me fly by myself.
Lauren
Accidentally stole this book in 3rd grade (yes, I remember that far back) and just now...after over 20 years...realized that it is the same author students have been recommending to me all semester! Have read several of her books this semester and did not make the connection! I actually find this book on my shelf every so often and read it right then. :)
elissa
I remember reading this in the early 90's, as a new librarian, at least partly because I was coming to NYC from 6 years in Tallahassee, so the title caught my eye right away. I was also attracted by the MD setting, since I grew up in MD. I don't remember much about it 20 years later, but I do remember that I liked it.
Madison
omg this is the best book ive read this year . . . well my top 3 anyways its awesome i love it i love mary if ur reading this mary plz make more books like that and like deep dark and dangerous or wait till helen comes ur my fav authir ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel
Usually, I don't like Downing Hahn's bitchy protagonists, but Tallahassee is my exception. Perhaps because she is so abandoned by her mother, and must carve her own way in mom's old hometown. Ultimately, this character finds a family after all.
Tressa
I liked Tallahassee Higgins--the story and the character. I did feel that the ending was abrupt. I wish there was a sequel so that I could find out what happened next in Talley's life.
i was utterly disapointed. it was NOTHING like a mary downing hahn book (who is my favorite author). the book was more like a beverly cleary book. it was AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Carol Horsch warhurst
One of my favorite books from my childhood. I can't see an island in the middle of a lake without thinking of this book and the adventure it took me on when I was a young girl.
J.C.
Tallahassee Higgins was an attempt to write a sad, touching story, but that attempt failed. It ended up sounding more pathetic than anything else.
  • Do-Over
  • The Dark Garden
  • Anne of Green Gables (Classic Starts)
  • Radio Fifth Grade
  • You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Adventure in the Country (Bobbsey Twins, #2)
  • Rabble Starkey
  • The Bears' House
  • The Hot and Cold Summer
  • Who Put That Hair in My Toothbrush?
  • Flame-Colored Taffeta
  • Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub
  • When Pigs Fly
  • Catch That Pass!
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • Megan's Island
  • Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...
Wait Till Helen Comes Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story) All the Lovely Bad Ones The Old Willis Place The Doll in the Garden