The Blind Giant: Being Human in a Digital World

The Blind Giant: Being Human in a Digital World

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The digital age. An age of isolation, warped communication, disintegrating community. Where unfiltered and unregulated information pours relentlessly into our lives, destroying what it means to be human. Or an age of marvels. Where there is a world of wonder at our fingertips. Where we can communicate across the globe, learn in the blink of an eye, pull down the barriers t...more
Published May 1st 2012 by John Murray Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

Tac Anderson
If you want my full review go here

Most interesting to me though, is that this is a book about the disruption of technology, by a writer who is the child of writers (Nick’s father is John le Carré). Nick has grown up in one of the industries most disrupted by technology, and being a member of Generation X, Nick grew up during the time that technology itself has grown up.

While Nick himself may be an early adopter and a power user of social media he also mad...more
Claudia
An interesting book. The beginning is a bit slow (at least for someone like me who lives with a serious tech guy, and who is old enough to remember the birth of the web), as it's rather a potted history of the Internet, but it picks up when it gets to Harkaway's specific ideas about the intersection of technology and the book world.

I'm curious about his view of social media, though. He says he looks at how many people a person is following (on Twitter, say), not just how many followers they have...more
Hannah
In my current, “I’m-all-about-the-non-fiction” phase (I get one, every so often) I just finished reading Nick Harkaway’s new book The Blind Giant. The simple verdict, it’s good, go read it.
Longer version - yes, I was pre-disposed to like it, I like digital stuff and tech, I like thinking about the impact that they’re going to have, I like Nick Harkaway and his writing (otherwise I probably wouldn’t have bought the hardback). I also like the cover. It pretty.

I also really quite like the approach...more
Tim
A look at some of the issues we're currently or soon to be facing as technology relentlessly permeates into our lives. A fairly quick read the book puts forward a lot of interesting moral, technological and political ideas that provide plenty of food for though for the interested reader.

Although the book starts with a look at two possible futures (one dystopian and one utopian) the majority of the book concerns itself with the immediate future - some of the issues at first glance might seem like...more
Gilang Danu
An interesting read on the topic of digital era. Prior to this book, I've read You Are Not A Gadget by Jaron Lanier, The Digital Divide by Mark Bauerlein and Alone Together by Sherry Turkle. Those three books, while I admit are well written, detailed and persuasive, lack a bit of 'spice'. I don't even know what the missing ingredient is until I read The Blind Giant.

What's missing from many other books about digital lifestyle is 'humbleness'. Funny, right? The Blind Giant works for me, especiall...more
molosovsky
Other than with his two novels (The Gone-Away World and Angelmaker) Harkaway does as an essayist not challenge his readers with eccentric prose and extravagant flights of fancy. (BTW: Which is not meant a a diss against his novels … both are brilliant!) — He offers an thematically wide ranged (and sometimes personal) examination of the merits and dangers, the possibilities and changes that come with the rise of information technology, especially the internet. He avoids elegantly not to be too op...more
Deedee Light
A little less innovative than I expected as far as conversations about advance technologies but still thought provoking.
Erin Leigh
Sep 17, 2012 Erin Leigh marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Preliminary Note: To those Americans who have been just as frustrated with the hard-copy procurement process and backasswards publishing decisions surrounding this book (we know it's not your fault, Nick!), Strand Bookstore in NYC might have a copy (Union Sq location)! That is where I found mine (hardcover), and I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.
Alexander
A part of me enjoyed reading it, but ironically it's pretty overwhelming and comes across as just a lot of information as opposed to any real structure.
Melanie
Some good points but I found this a bit of a struggle http://themelican.blogspot.co.uk/2013...
Andrew McMillen
Reviewed for The Oz. Fantastic book. Such clear and intelligent writing.
David Press
A really great book that I'm using in my freshman seminar on life hacking.
Nancy Stringer
How do we continue to be human in this digital world?
Chris Baker
I was enjoying this until I left it in Plymouth...
Loranne
Loranne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Phil Costa
Phil Costa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Saturnberry
Saturnberry marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Sarah Jamison
Sarah Jamison marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Henrik Berggren
Henrik Berggren marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Graham Vingoe
Graham Vingoe marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Craig Swanson
Craig Swanson marked it as to-read
Derrick Schultz
Derrick Schultz marked it as to-read
Katy Watkins
Katy Watkins marked it as to-read
Mogvgb
Mogvgb marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
  • From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism
  • Digital Vertigo: How Today's Online Social Revolution Is Dividing, Diminishing, and Disorienting Us
  • Is the Internet Changing the Way You Think?: The Net's Impact on Our Minds and Future
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • What Good Are the Arts?
  • Counterknowledge
  • Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives
  • How to Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass: A Critical Thinker's Guide to Asking the Right Questions
  • Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
  • To Save Everything, Click Here: The Folly of Technological Solutionism
  • This Machine Kills Secrets: How WikiLeakers, Cypherpunks, and Hacktivists Aim to Free the World's Information
  • The Meaning of Things: Applying Philosophy to Life
  • On Kindness
  • FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop--from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication
  • Creative Intelligence
  • Delete: The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age
  • The People's Platform: Taking Back Power and Culture in the Digital Age
Nick Harkaway was born in Cornwall, UK in 1972. He is possessed of two explosively exciting eyebrows, which exert an almost hypnotic attraction over small children, dogs, and - thankfully - one ludicrously attractive human rights lawyer, to whom he is married.

He likes: oceans, mountains, lakes, valleys, and those little pigs made of marzipan they have in Switzerland at new year.

He does not like: b...more
More about Nick Harkaway...
The Gone-Away World Angelmaker Edie Investigates Doctor Who: Keeping Up with the Joneses (Time Trips) Tigerman: A novel

“A desire for privacy does not imply shameful secrets; Moglen argues, again and again, that without anonymity in discourse, free speech is impossible, and hence also democracy. The right to speak the truth to power does not shield the speaker from the consequences of doing so; only comparable power or anonymity can do that.” 15 likes
“Privacy is a protection from the unreasonable use of state and corporate power. But that is, in a sense, a secondary thing. In the first instance, privacy is the statement in words of a simple understanding, which belongs to the instinctive world rather than the formal one, that some things are the province of those who experience them and not naturally open to the scrutiny of others: courtship and love, with their emotional nakedness; the simple moments of family life; the appalling rawness of grief. That the state and other systems are precluded from snooping on these things is important - it is a strong barrier between the formal world and the hearth, extended or not - but at root privacy is a simple understanding: not everything belongs to everyone.” 10 likes