Start by marking “The Beggar of Volubilis (The Roman Mysteries, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Beggar of Volubilis (The Roman Mysteries, #14)

The Beggar of Volubilis (The Roman Mysteries #14)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Flavia, Jonathan, Nubia, and Lupus are on a quest for the Emperor Titus to steal a valuable gemstone known as Nero's Eye. The Delphic Oracle prophesied that whoever owns the gem will rule the Roman Empire, so Titus is determined to claim it for himself. Flavia and her friends travel across the Roman province of Mauretania, from Sabratha to Volubilis—or modern-day Libya to ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Beggar of Volubilis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beggar of Volubilis

Mara
This was not the most exciting of the collection, and it could have been. First off, it begins rather abruptly with Flavia and Nubia hunting in the woods and taking a sudden vow to never marry. Then we're launched into an African adventure that has lots of foreshadowing of what may happen. But any hints of ominous doings is pretty much glossed over with "it-was-coincidence" explanations in the end, and everyone goes home happy. The beggar does not play as big of a role as one might suppose, the ...more
sabisteb
Miriams Tod ist an den Beteiligten nicht spurlos vorbeigegangen. Dr. Mordecai ist opiumabhängig, weil er den Tod seiner Tochter nicht verkraftet und Onkel Gaius ist verschollen.
Flavia schwört Diana Gefolgschaft, weil sie Angst hat, ebenfalls jung im Kindbett zu sterben und weist sogar Floppys Heiratsantrag ab.
Insgesamt noch mehr gespickt von Visionen und Zeichen der Götter als der Vorgängerband. Ich weiß nicht, ob ich das wirklich toll finde, aber in diesem Band passt es und ist ein wirklicher T
Phair
Been a long time since my last Roman Mystery. This is #14 in the series and I had to forego reading #13 as I can't find a copy but after doing some catch-up via clues in this one I got up to speed on what's been happening to our four friends. This turned out not to be the best of the books by a long shot but the new North African setting was interesting. I always learn a few things I didn't know about the period and I like the way the kids are maturing. Most of the characters both central and p ...more
Ujwals
This was a good book. It was the first book of the series in which the setting is Africa. I liked how the author used a lot of facts about Africa, and accurately described aspects of life in that time such as camel rides, and pantomimes. This book really led into the next book, so I wanted to read it immediately. There was a whole side plot about pantomime dancers, and how the main characters disguise themselves, but I wasn't sure how that tied a up with the rest of the plot. Overall, a good boo ...more
Heather
The four detectives get way in over their heads with this adventure! Hard to believe some of the situations they end up in and how events play out, but otherwise enjoyable story.
Vicki Cline
Emperor Titus asks Flavia et al to go to North Africa to search for Nero's Eye, a fabulous emerald. They are also on the look-out for Flavia's uncle Gaius who has gone missing after the death in childbirth of his wife Miriam. After many travails across the top of North Africa, they wind up in Volubulis, near the northwest corner of Africa. The beggar of the title seems to have known Nero. Perils galore, as usual.
Chroniclesoftania
Our adventurous four join a pantomime troupe and go on a camel train journey through north Africa on a mission for the emperor Titus. Flavia gets a marriage proposal which she declines, they find her missing Uncle and a scribe of Nero. An enjoyable read, but nothing spectacular.
Charlotte
When I first began this series, the author came to visit my school. She is probably one of the people who first began inspiring me to write my own stories and become interested in the history of Antiquity. I began reading "The Roman Mysteries" series when I was in 4th or 5th grade. And I was still only learning English back then. But this long series did have an impact on me, and I stuck with it until the end.
Amber
A review by Blake:
I'm thrilled that I am finally finished with the 14th book of this series. It is a great series. This book was awesome! It's a really cool book. I suggest reading it. It is one of the best out of the series. And by far one of the most surprising. The beggar likes to say "my seeing thing." Overall I recommend this to anybody.
Diana Sandberg
Still an excellent series. This time, the four heroes are travelling across North Africa. Credibility as to the likelihood of their surviving this experience was stretched a little, but on the whole yet another enjoyable tale, and I loved the Governor’s wife and her devotion to Octavia. Nice.
Trish
Decided to go for something a little lighter, and as always a Roman Mystery counted. They're a good thing to read if you don't need to think too hard, although the mysteries are usually not bad. This one was more adventure than mystery, but quite fun nonetheless.
Brett
These books really do a good job at looking at a different aspect of ancient culture in each offering. This one introduces readers to the Pantomime, & its portrayal of a caravan crossing the Sahara Desert is fascinating.
Veronica
I read it very quickly but was still very good. I think I might have left a book out from before. Oh well!
Nathalie
My favorite of the series so far. Fantastic!
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Emily Carter
Emily Carter marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Rikke
Rikke added it
Apr 04, 2015
Amahlia Parkinson
Amahlia Parkinson marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Dana Rector
Dana Rector marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Bess
Bess marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Irene Esposito
Irene Esposito marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Feud (Lady Grace Mysteries, #6)
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
  • I Am the Great Horse
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • The Medici Curse
  • Vicious Vikings And Measly Middle Ages (Horrible Histories Collections)
  • Poseidon's Gold (Marcus Didius Falco, #5)
  • Princess Emily and the Substitute Fairy (The Tiara Club, #6)
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1) The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2) The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3) The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)