Start by marking “Just As I Thought” as Want to Read:
Just As I Thought

Just As I Thought

This rich and multifaceted collection is Grace Paley's vivid record of her life. As close to an autobiography as anything we are likely to have from this quintessentially American writer, Just As I Thought gives us a chance to see Paley not only as a writer and "troublemaker" but also as a daughter, sister, mother, and grandmother. Through her descriptions of her childhood ...more
Published June 30th 1999 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Just As I Thought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just As I Thought

Abby
Jan 06, 2016 Abby rated it it was ok
Perhaps not the best introduction to Grace Paley? I think I should have started with her short stories. These little essays and memoir-like bits inspired me to learn more about Paley as a person (she seems to have been so wild, delightfully civilly disobedient; her insistence that feminism and anti-war movements ought to be cojoined), but I was nonplussed by the quality of the prose. In places, it sings; in many places, it is flat and almost (dare I say it) elementary. I couldn’t tell if that ...more
Lucrezia
Dec 24, 2013 Lucrezia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"La mia risposta alla sua domanda è che mi sento in gran forma.La mia vita mi piace molto, ogni giorno è interessante.Ma succede anche che mi dia fastidio."

Devo dire che la Grace attivista per la pace, femminista, critica letteraria mi è piaciuta molto, molto di più. Ora sì che ragioniamo :)
Jaye
May 01, 2016 Jaye rated it it was amazing
I would have loved have read this collection of essays as a seventeen-year-old. What an amazing woman~ written almost as an autobiography this book encapsulates Grace Paley's life. I highly recommend it for the older teen, mother, daughter, grandmother. We are the better for the Grace Paleys in the world.
Jaspreet
Dec 11, 2007 Jaspreet rated it it was amazing
This is such an inpsiring collection of work. MY favorite story is called "Walking Around" or "Neighbors." I wish that my memory was better of the exact title. The book is somewhere in my parent's home.
Aug 11, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Great snapshots into the mind and life of an activist woman that I didn't know much about. She has some great essays about Vietnam during the Vietnam-American war and an article on abortion that I really liked.
Julia
Jun 26, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok
As much as I love Grace Paley and admire her history of political activism, the speeches got a little old. I much prefer her stories, and as soon as I came to this decision, I shut the book on ole GP's non-fictitious literary endeavors.
chris
Mar 04, 2012 chris rated it really liked it
didn't read all of these essays/articles -- too varied for my current interests -- but I remain thoroughly taken with Paley as a great activist writer. what can I learn from her, whose life is so different from mine?
Mimi
Feb 15, 2010 Mimi rated it liked it
Grace Paley is one of those fighting women whom I greatly admire. This is a collection of essays covering much of her life
Antha
Jan 30, 2008 Antha rated it really liked it
The story about being in a NYC jail is so well done--I'm sometimes tempted to read it aloud. Grace Paley rocks--I miss her!
Ann-marie
Jun 01, 2008 Ann-marie rated it it was amazing
There are wonderful essays here that I continue to learn from and share with students. Now that Grace has passed on, I treasure this volume more. Also, I think prose and stories are her strength.
Ffiamma
articoli e saggi a sfondo autobiografico che raccontano l'emigrazione, l'impegno politico, il femminismo, l'america di questa scrittrice.
grande intelligenza.
Bluecatblues
Bluecatblues rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Laura Flegel
Laura Flegel rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Blue
Blue rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Monika Borkowska
Monika Borkowska rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2007
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2008
Enrico Mercadante
Enrico Mercadante rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Moonwrite
Moonwrite rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Abe Louise
Abe Louise rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2007
A.C. Burch
A.C. Burch rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Iris
Iris rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Kateland
Kateland rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Drew Hanson
Drew Hanson rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2010
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Joan Winnek
Joan Winnek rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2010
riese
riese rated it really liked it
May 19, 2007
Tara Mahady-coltey
Tara Mahady-coltey rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Readerskeeter
Readerskeeter rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
emilia
emilia rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page number & other info 5 63 Aug 05, 2015 11:45AM
  • Letty Fox: Her Luck
  • To the Is-land: An Autobiography (Autobiography, #1)
  • The Juniper Tree
  • Gender Matters in Global Politics: A Feminist Introduction to International Relations
  • Simultan: Erzählungen
  • Growing Pains: The Autobiography of Emily Carr
  • The Investigation
  • Soldier: A Poet's Childhood
  • The Gentrification of the Mind: Witness to a Lost Imagination
Grace Paley was an American short story writer, poet, and political activist whose work won a number of awards.
More about Grace Paley...