Start by marking “Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)

Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin #4.5)

This short story spans a period of many years, beginning before Gin was born and ending during the events of Tangled Threads. It is told from the point of view of Mab Monroe and shows how the Fire elemental grew up, including her first meeting with Eira Snow, Gin’s mother.
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 35 pages
Published September 19th 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Spider’s Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider’s Nemesis

Jul 01, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it
Fun to see things from Mab's point of view. Also fun to know that she's destined to fail at the hands of our feisty kickass heroine.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 12, 2015 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
Loved getting inside Mab's head, definitely a scary and dangerous place to be! Can't wait to start book five now.
Jun 14, 2016 Joanita rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, gr2016
“There’s nothing you can do to stop it,” she rasped. “Not this time. Not this one. Not this girl. She’ll be the death of you, Mab. Mark my words. She’ll be stronger than you—she’ll be stronger than anyone for a long, long time to come.”

Now this novella was very interesting. Seeing things from Mab’s POV just made me realise that she’s even more evil than I originally thought. We get the back story about Mab and Eira Snow, and why Mab hated her. And we get a more in-depth view of that terrible

Jul 21, 2016 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
this story makes Mab seem even scarier than the books do.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Poor Mab. Things didn't exactly word out the way you planned, did they?

Ehehehe . . .
So good to see the backstory of the Snow family's demise from Mab's perspective and get more details on what happened. I had also wondered about Gin's father and what had happened to him, so was glad to get that detail. If it was in other books I missed it.
Kathy Davie
Jul 16, 2014 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This short story is 4.5 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series and focuses on Mab Monroe.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
It's a mish-mash of Mab from her point-of-view and revolving around the day the Spider killed Elektra to her past as a seven-year-old psychopath and all the killing and whining she's done through the years. I'm kind of surprised her family never had her assassinated.

We also get a bit of back history between Mab and Eira Snow when they
Jun 12, 2012 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
One of the many things I loved about Jennifer Estep is that she writes mini books in between the next installment of the Elemental Assasin series. "Spider's Nemesis" introduces to Mab Monroe as a child and is told from her perspective. Once thing for sure, she did not grow evil, she was born that way.

The young Mab Monroe was a brat. She was never told "no" by anyone including her father. While entertaining a young Eira Snow she notices a unique necklace hanging from the girl's neck. Of course sh
Jul 14, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
This story did a great job of adding some debt to Mab Monroe. It was a great look into her very twisted mind and also her motivations. I liked getting to see a bit of the history between the Monroes and the Snow family. Even though this is from Mab’s POV the author does not turn her into a sympathetic character, she just shows just how insane Mab truly was, and making you appreciate what Gin was up against.
Oct 27, 2012 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-favourites
OH MY GOD - Mab!!!!

We finally see the story from Mab's point of view and we see how she finally realises who this Spider is, who the assassin is that has instilled so much anger into her and the need for revenge...

We see Mab and Gin's mum as children... We see Fletcher Lane turning down the job and why... We see Gin's torture through Mab's eyes...

Woah what a path we are on, I am holding my breath!!!!!
Jul 27, 2013 Melindeeloo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I am way behind on this series - but am almost up to date on all of the shorts now - I have to say that I really liked this short from the POV of Mab, Gin's enemy, and the fill in of Mab's backstory - she thinks she can beat fate but of course her actions to avoid the prophesy only serves to set in motion her own demise. This one actually grabbed me enough to make me want to dig the full length books off of the pile.
Erica Chilson
Loved it! A glimpse inside Mab's head.

This short story is about how the rivalry between Mab and the Spider's mother started. I enjoyed the look back to the ladies fighting as children during a tea party. Later you experience the tragic events that turned the child Genvieve into Gin Blanco the Spider Assassin through the enemy's point of view.

Gin and Mab give the term Bad-Ass, strength. These ladies don't wait to defend themselves, they kill you before the thought even enters your mind.

Feb 02, 2012 MsBDiamondDiva1 rated it it was amazing
Wow...this is a great short story told from Mab's point of view. Mab has been troubled for a long time; you will see her as a child full of hate, the need for power and just pure evil. But at least now you know that Mab is a power hungry bitch, just like Gin has always said. This is a must read for all of Jennifer Estep fans!!!
Jul 06, 2012 Jancy rated it it was amazing
This was a great little story, I loved touching base from the beginning and seeing it from Mad side.
Back story just add so much to the original pieces, I wish more writers would release them.

Thank you Jennifer Estep for sharing this with us and I am waiting with baited breath for the next book in this series.
Dec 27, 2014 Marion rated it it was amazing
Good story to see it from the bad guy's perspective. However I would love to know Mab's thoughts when she realizes that Gin was the one who had dual elemental powers and the moment before she dies and she realizes that she brought this on herself.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
From Mab's perspective, this was actually more interesting than I thought it would be. I enjoyed reading from her sociopath mind. I found it interesting that she commits patricide without a thought. Her father did raise her to be a disrespectful spoiled brat. We reap what we sow.
Heather Tisdale
Jan 10, 2013 Heather Tisdale rated it it was amazing
Ya, a lot has been in the books before, but I really enjoyed this one. I think some of the repetitiveness is why I liked this one better than a lot of other short stories. I felt like she took the time to tell me the story and didn't just throw something out there.
Apr 17, 2014 melissa rated it it was amazing
Much longer than most of the other short stories up until this point.

This one focuses on Mab and her dealings with Eira Snow and later her daughters, Bria & The Spider.

May 25, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Free read on Jennifer's website.

A look at what Mab was thinking as she thought about Bria, The Spider and her past.
Even tjough I HATE Mab, it was GREAT to see more about her history with the Snow family!
Chapter 35
May 28, 2014 Chapter 35 rated it it was amazing
was stoked to read a wee nouvelle from the big bad evil Mab! awesome!
Dec 10, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep
Taking place after the fourth book in the series, this online short story that can be found on the author's website and is told from the point of view of Mab Monroe, the nemesis Gin Blanco the assassin also known as The Spider. The story provides the background story for Mab's hatred of the Snow family that began when Mab Monroe and Eira Snow (Gin's mother) were just young girls. Readers also see the night of the confrontation between Mab and Eira which ultimately led to the murder of Eira and h ...more
Aug 10, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
This short story is from Mab’s POV. It can be read for free on Ms.Estep’s website. It starts after LaFleur’s death, but goes back in time. There are 9 brief scenes that pack a lot of information. Very worth reading.

1) At the train yard with Mab looking down at LaFleur’s body.
2) Goes back to Mab’s childhood when she first meets Eira Snow at Mab’s father’s house.
3) Next day, Mab’s father giving her a sun necklace.
4) Few years later, after she has control of her father’s mob, Mab consults with
Jul 20, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
4.5 in the Elemental Assassin series. I actually forgot to read this before I started on book 5 so there weren't any spoilers here but otherwise there would have been. This is from Mab's POV so there's some insight here that we've never had before. I do have to say that I think there's a continuity error here and in book 5 - previously it's been implied that Owen's family was killed by Mab AFTER Gin's family was. That's why she was already at Fletcher's when Owen and Eve were still living on the ...more
Mar 11, 2014 Trea rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenges-2014
This was a pretty good introduction to the character of Mab Monroe from Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series. Since it spans a number of years, I went ahead and read it prior to reading Spider's Bite, which I had read a number of years ago and knew some of the events that had occurred in that storyline. I found the story very interesting, and got sucked into it right away. I liked reading the background on Mab and found the foreshadowing captivating enough to want to read Spider's Bite mor ...more
Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
This story is mainly about Mab Monroe, a fire elemental, and all around bad person. Unfortunately, I had no clue who she was at first and thought she was the main character! I couldn't imagine reading a series with someone that I couldn't stand.

I was quite proud of myself that I found these shorts BEFORE I read the first book and would actually read a series in the correct order for once. Thankfully, my GR's friend, Ctanner, set me straight and let me know that there may be some spoilers in the
This is a short story after Gin takes down Lefleur and Mab finally understands who the Spider really is. Probably should be read before Spider's Revenge.

"Eira’s snowflake necklace flashing around her throat when we were kids. The strange snowflakes that Magda had drawn when she’d first told me about her vision, that a girl with both Ice and Stone magic would kill me. The strange, lopsided snowflakes that had eight points instead of six. The feel of the middle brat’s silverstone rune in my hand a
Jun 03, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Eep. Mab is one nasty, nasty piece of work. From her first meeting with Gin's mother to the torture she inflicted on a 13 year old girl - Gin had it right, the woman deserves to die. Painfully. Preferably in a fire of her own making. I love these glimpses into the past and getting to see how screwed up some of these characters are. Mab is heartless and horrible and downright scary when she wants to be. She's the lady you love to hate.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Spider's Nemesis is a free read
Aug 13, 2016 Jacy rated it really liked it
This is Mab's short flashback through her life as it centered around the Snows. We all knew she was rather twisted, but I was honestly caught by surprise by some of the revelations in this one. This gives a clear picture of why she believes she is untouchable. As a kid, everyone told her just how powerful she was and never said no to her. No wonder she has trouble with rules, she never had limits. I can't bring my to feel any sympathy for Mad. She is evil all the way through and it makes her a w ...more
May 29, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
This was a nice look into a very evil lady. It helps flesh out Mab's character and explain some things, but is not need to enjoy the series.
  • The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • The Golem Hunt (Jaz Parks, #3.5)
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Bronx (The Asylum Tales, #0.5)
  • Pros and Cons (Nikki Glass, #2.5)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Entangled
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series.

The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy killing people and righ
More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)