Start by marking “Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)

Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin #4.5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  49 reviews
This short story spans a period of many years, beginning before Gin was born and ending during the events of Tangled Threads. It is told from the point of view of Mab Monroe and shows how the Fire elemental grew up, including her first meeting with Eira Snow, Gin’s mother.
Online Fiction, 1st Edition, 35 pages
Published September 19th 2011 by Jennifer Estep

To ask other readers questions about Spider’s Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider’s Nemesis

So good to see the backstory of the Snow family's demise from Mab's perspective and get more details on what happened. I had also wondered about Gin's father and what had happened to him, so was glad to get that detail. If it was in other books I missed it.
Kathy Davie
This short story is 4.5 in the Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series and focuses on Mab Monroe.

You can read this short story for free on Estep's website.

My Take
It's a mish-mash of Mab from her point-of-view and revolving around the day the Spider killed Elektra to her past as a seven-year-old psychopath and all the killing and whining she's done through the years. I'm kind of surprised her family never had her assassinated.

We also get a bit of back history between Mab and Eira Snow when they
This short story is from Mab’s POV. It can be read for free on Ms.Estep’s website. It starts after LaFleur’s death, but goes back in time. There are 9 brief scenes that pack a lot of information. Very worth reading.

1) At the train yard with Mab looking down at LaFleur’s body.
2) Goes back to Mab’s childhood when she first meets Eira Snow at Mab’s father’s house.
3) Next day, Mab’s father giving her a sun necklace.
4) Few years later, after she has control of her father’s mob, Mab consults with
4.5 in the Elemental Assassin series. I actually forgot to read this before I started on book 5 so there weren't any spoilers here but otherwise there would have been. This is from Mab's POV so there's some insight here that we've never had before. I do have to say that I think there's a continuity error here and in book 5 - previously it's been implied that Owen's family was killed by Mab AFTER Gin's family was. That's why she was already at Fletcher's when Owen and Eve were still living on the ...more
This is Mab's short flashback through her life as it centered around the Snows. We all knew she was rather twisted, but I was honestly caught by surprise by some of the revelations in this one. This gives a clear picture of why she believes she is untouchable. As a kid, everyone told her just how powerful she was and never said no to her. No wonder she has trouble with rules, she never had limits. I can't bring my to feel any sympathy for Mad. She is evil all the way through and it makes her a w ...more
Jun 12, 2012 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
One of the many things I loved about Jennifer Estep is that she writes mini books in between the next installment of the Elemental Assasin series. "Spider's Nemesis" introduces to Mab Monroe as a child and is told from her perspective. Once thing for sure, she did not grow evil, she was born that way.

The young Mab Monroe was a brat. She was never told "no" by anyone including her father. While entertaining a young Eira Snow she notices a unique necklace hanging from the girl's neck. Of course sh
Dec 10, 2012 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep
Taking place after the fourth book in the series, this online short story that can be found on the author's website and is told from the point of view of Mab Monroe, the nemesis Gin Blanco the assassin also known as The Spider. The story provides the background story for Mab's hatred of the Snow family that began when Mab Monroe and Eira Snow (Gin's mother) were just young girls. Readers also see the night of the confrontation between Mab and Eira which ultimately led to the murder of Eira and h ...more
This was a pretty good introduction to the character of Mab Monroe from Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series. Since it spans a number of years, I went ahead and read it prior to reading Spider's Bite, which I had read a number of years ago and knew some of the events that had occurred in that storyline. I found the story very interesting, and got sucked into it right away. I liked reading the background on Mab and found the foreshadowing captivating enough to want to read Spider's Bite mor ...more
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
This story is mainly about Mab Monroe, a fire elemental, and all around bad person. Unfortunately, I had no clue who she was at first and thought she was the main character! I couldn't imagine reading a series with someone that I couldn't stand.

I was quite proud of myself that I found these shorts BEFORE I read the first book and would actually read a series in the correct order for once. Thankfully, my GR's friend, Ctanner, set me straight and let me know that there may be some spoilers in the
Marion Kuehne
Good story to see it from the bad guy's perspective. However I would love to know Mab's thoughts when she realizes that Gin was the one who had dual elemental powers and the moment before she dies and she realizes that she brought this on herself.
Anna Marie
The whole of the Elemental Assassin series plot, as told by the Evil Mab Monroe, in eBook form. It's cold and as heartless as her (and the previous eBooks), but in this case it works, because Mab *is* heartless.
Molly Smith
This is a free short story on Jennifer Estep's website. I enjoyed it as it gives background to Gin's greatest enemy, Mab Monroe. Although from the novels you get a strong idea of how evil she is, the pure arogance and greed is spotlighted through her narrative. I enjoyed this snippet and background, especially as I have just finished Spider's Revenge.
Amie Doughty
Great read from Mab Monroe's point of view. The background of her relationship with the Snow family is fascinating, and it has a creepy, anxiety-inducing lead-in to the next novel.
Much longer than most of the other short stories up until this point.

This one focuses on Mab and her dealings with Eira Snow and later her daughters, Bria & The Spider.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
This is a short story after Gin takes down Lefleur and Mab finally understands who the Spider really is. Probably should be read before Spider's Revenge.

"Eira’s snowflake necklace flashing around her throat when we were kids. The strange snowflakes that Magda had drawn when she’d first told me about her vision, that a girl with both Ice and Stone magic would kill me. The strange, lopsided snowflakes that had eight points instead of six. The feel of the middle brat’s silverstone rune in my hand a
Eep. Mab is one nasty, nasty piece of work. From her first meeting with Gin's mother to the torture she inflicted on a 13 year old girl - Gin had it right, the woman deserves to die. Painfully. Preferably in a fire of her own making. I love these glimpses into the past and getting to see how screwed up some of these characters are. Mab is heartless and horrible and downright scary when she wants to be. She's the lady you love to hate.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Spider's Nemesis is a free read
Emma Clement
This one was so intense. I was screaming inside when Mab remembered everything.
Short Story
Erica Chilson
Loved it! A glimpse inside Mab's head.

This short story is about how the rivalry between Mab and the Spider's mother started. I enjoyed the look back to the ladies fighting as children during a tea party. Later you experience the tragic events that turned the child Genvieve into Gin Blanco the Spider Assassin through the enemy's point of view.

Gin and Mab give the term Bad-Ass, strength. These ladies don't wait to defend themselves, they kill you before the thought even enters your mind.

I am way behind on this series - but am almost up to date on all of the shorts now - I have to say that I really liked this short from the POV of Mab, Gin's enemy, and the fill in of Mab's backstory - she thinks she can beat fate but of course her actions to avoid the prophesy only serves to set in motion her own demise. This one actually grabbed me enough to make me want to dig the full length books off of the pile.
Jul 14, 2012 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This story did a great job of adding some debt to Mab Monroe. It was a great look into her very twisted mind and also her motivations. I liked getting to see a bit of the history between the Monroes and the Snow family. Even though this is from Mab’s POV the author does not turn her into a sympathetic character, she just shows just how insane Mab truly was, and making you appreciate what Gin was up against.
OH MY GOD - Mab!!!!

We finally see the story from Mab's point of view and we see how she finally realises who this Spider is, who the assassin is that has instilled so much anger into her and the need for revenge...

We see Mab and Gin's mum as children... We see Fletcher Lane turning down the job and why... We see Gin's torture through Mab's eyes...

Woah what a path we are on, I am holding my breath!!!!!
Wow...this is a great short story told from Mab's point of view. Mab has been troubled for a long time; you will see her as a child full of hate, the need for power and just pure evil. But at least now you know that Mab is a power hungry bitch, just like Gin has always said. This is a must read for all of Jennifer Estep fans!!!
This was a great little story, I loved touching base from the beginning and seeing it from Mad side.
Back story just add so much to the original pieces, I wish more writers would release them.

Thank you Jennifer Estep for sharing this with us and I am waiting with baited breath for the next book in this series.
Alison S
Great short from Mad's perspective that falls after the events that close out Tangled Threads, and have her thinking back to a few different events from her past.
Nice prequel to the series. I'm wondering, though, if it might have been better to read book #1 and then backtrack to this one, since there's very little world-building involved in here. It's an interesting premise, though. I bought book #1 off Amazon, so I'll have to read it soon.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
From Mab's perspective, this was actually more interesting than I thought it would be. I enjoyed reading from her sociopath mind. I found it interesting that she commits patricide without a thought. Her father did raise her to be a disrespectful spoiled brat. We reap what we sow.
Heather Tisdale
Ya, a lot has been in the books before, but I really enjoyed this one. I think some of the repetitiveness is why I liked this one better than a lot of other short stories. I felt like she took the time to tell me the story and didn't just throw something out there.
Chapter 35
was stoked to read a wee nouvelle from the big bad evil Mab! awesome!
  • The Mammoth Book of Ghost Romance
  • The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • An Ill-Advised Rescue Part 2 (Kate Daniels, #5.9)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • The Golem Hunt (Jaz Parks, #3.5)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Entangled
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2) Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)