Start by marking “Noble Metals (Metals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Noble Metals (Metals, #1)

Noble Metals (Metals #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  65 reviews
This edition is no longer available.

Ever since Robert Belton gambled away the money to stake his claim in the Klondike gold fields, he’s been stranded in Seattle working as a prostitute. When an attractive customer needs help hauling provisions to the frozen north, Robert eagerly volunteers.

Dr. John Fauth is only searching for one thing, and it isn’t gold. He needs platinu
ebook, 1st Edtion
Published January 2nd 2012 by Carnal Passions

To ask other readers questions about Noble Metals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noble Metals

Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn HaleMongrel by K.Z. SnowLord of the White Hell by Ginn HaleThe Inventor's Companion by Ariel TachnaLord of the White Hell by Ginn Hale
Gay Steampunk
10th out of 75 books — 131 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeSoul Bonds by Lynn LorenzEasy by Ally BlueBe My Boy by Casey K. Cox
Best Gay Rent Boys
77th out of 198 books — 329 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Repetitive, silly, and dull.

Nice touches here and there, but not enough for me to enjoy this very much.

My overall impression is of wasted opportunity and inattention to detail; the setting should have been almost as much a character in the book as the leads.

I was vexed by problems with logic (every prospector must carry 2,000 pounds of provisions with him into the pass?) and with plot devices that served no purpose whatsoever.

Poorly plotted, indifferently developed, and sloppily edited.

I don't e
Ami
I read the first edition of Noble Metals back in 2012 when it was first released by a now-defunct publisher. I loved the novella – even if it was categorized as historical/steampunk, a genre that was not high on my favorite list. When Boys in Our Books was offered to review the re-edited and re-expanded version, and when I saw that the expansion was over 10,000 words, I jumped immediately for the chance to review. I rarely do a re-read but I wanted to see if my initial 4-stars rating would stand ...more
Ami
I am never a huge fan of historical (even if steampunk genre intrigues me) AND I have hits-and-misses history with L.A. Witt's stories. This one though, it is one of the hits; even if it's a historical/steampunk story.

Right from the beginning, when Robert Belton, the young whore sets eyes on the inventor/scientist Dr. John Fauth, the story grips me and takes me to the end. I love the chemistry and relationship -- but most of all I ENJOY the thrill of the adventure, along with the threats and bu
Carissa
John had come this far and faced all these dangers for his work--this was a man married to his work, and he’d all but said himself he’d chosen that work over lovers.

Once we’d finished in Dawson City, he’d go back to Chicago. Back to his laboratory. Back to the people who couldn’t know about his “immoral conduct.” There was no room for me in that world.

But that didn’t stop me from hoping.

Robert Belton is a whore. John Fauth is a professor and a scientist. They have little in common–-except the
Jayhjay
This review was originally posted on my blog Joyfully Jay.

Robert Belton is working as a prostitute in a Seattle saloon, stuck in the city after he and his brothers lost all their money intended for the Klondike Gold Rush to gambling and whoring. Although his brothers returned home, Robert couldn't bear the idea of going back to Montana and instead is making ends meet selling his body to men traveling through the city on their way north to the Yukon in search of gold.

One day a handsome stranger c
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Mar 23, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Vio
Shelves: ebook-owned, m-m
This is my first story of its kind, a historical Steampunk, and I was pleasantly suprised!
Robert works as a prostitute in one of the last outposts before a difficult and dangerous trek to Canada.
John has invented a device that should help him find platinum, which he needs for the invention he has in mind! ( sounded a lot like Skype to me! Lol)
John and Robert have an instant attraction and Robert jumps at the chance to join John in his travels!
There are bad guys trying to get the device and a tr
ttg
A very enjoyable m/m alternative history/steampunk adventure romance novella about two men journeying from Seattle to Alaska as part of the Klondike gold rush.

I liked both MCs and it was fun to read about their developing relationship, a bond built on sex first, intimacy and trust later. Most of the POV comes from Robert, a prostitute living in Seattle who dreams of getting out and striking it rich in the gold rush. He gets his wish by teaming up to assist a new client--John, a scientist/enginee
Val Kovalin
Just for fun, plot in 6-words: Prostitute and scientist travel steampunk wilderness.

Very enjoyable. Characters are wonderfully three-dimensional. Robert - young, down-on-his-luck prostitute stranded in grubby logging town of Seattle. He's vulnerable, yet capable, innocent, yet sexually over-exploited. John - slightly older scientist, sophisticated, yet rugged, take-charge yet deeply caring.

The two throw their destinies together after a hot, secret night of pleasure. They attempt a dangerous jour
Wart *Rainbows, beauty, and death* Hill
Find this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

Sometimes when I go into books, I go in kind of blind. I have sort of an idea-ish but not really. This is one of those books. I kind of expected an epic steampunk adventure with a romance background. What it is is the opposite: a romance with a steampunk adventure background. But not in a bad way.

Dr. John Fauth is on his way to a dwindling gold mine in search of a different noble metal to aid his research into semiconducters. On the jour
Elisa Rolle
First of all, I was surprise to find out this was an historical romance, I don’t know but I was of the wrong impression it was more sci-fi/fantasy. In a way, there is a steampunk flavour on it, it’s not that the author pushed much on fantasy details, but I think she took some “liberties” to make the story more a romance than a historical novel. For example, John Fauth is a University professor and a scientist, and his machine to find noble metals seems a little too much futuristic to be true, bu ...more
ARe Cafe
Noble Metals by LA Witt is an intriguing mix of historical romance (maybe 90 percent) and steampunk (maybe 10 percent, perfectly placed). Its breathtakingly vivid descriptions of the harsh pioneer wilderness of the Alaskan Gold Rush years make it a fresh and unusual variation on most steampunk fiction, which is set in overcrowded Victorian metropolises like London.

At the same time, there are wonderful steampunk images such as the “mech,” a giant mechanical spider that the prospectors use to carr
Katrina Passick Lumsden
A moderately fun m/m steampunk romance. Not a challenging read, but moderately engaging, and the characters were likable.
Vio
A really good adventure and what an exciting story. I loved the historical/steam-punk angle, interesting and thrilling. Robert and John, the prostitute and scientist have a mission to find platinum, its a tumultuous journey, a gripping one. Both guys are wonderful, I liked them and wanted good things to come of all the danger they faced. The chemistry was bang on too, sweet and romantic.
Heidi Cullinan
Totally loved this. The boys were darling and the sex was sweet and hot at once. And STEAMPUNK. *dances*
Christy Loves 2 Read
4.5 Stars ~ Who doesn't love getting the chance to read a rerelease? Especially one where the author added 10,000 words? And a steampunk book, to boot? Me. That's who! I jumped at the chance to read and review 'Noble Metals' by L.A. Witt, for all of those reasons, and the fact that I enjoy this author's works. It was a win-win, in my mind.

It seems fate, or luck, is on Robert's side the night John comes to the brothel/bar where Robert works. Robert convinces John to let him accompany him to the K
Tonileg
Steampunk Historical Gold Rush road trip with a young prostitute finds love for the first (and last) time with a nerdy inventor professor.
We find our optimistic young prostitute, Robert Belton in Seattle trying to find a way out of his situation. Dr. John Fauth is looking for a place to sleep and men to join his team to find Platinum in the Gold fields of Northern Canada. They get together because they are good kind trustworthy people surrounded by desperate unscrupulous men. We get lots of exam
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
I love L.A. Witt books and I love steampunk, so when I saw that L.A. Witt had written a steampunk book I just about squealed with joy (confession – there was actual squealing and maybe even a little chair dancing).

A historical action/adventure romance set in an alternative history that combines steampunk with the Wild West/Gold Rush, Noble Metals is a tale of two men searching for precious noble metals (namely gold and platinum) and discovering an even greater treasure in the love they find with
DL
I think the steampunk elements were overshadowed by the harsh Alaskan setting. I liked the characters. I liked their struggles but just as I was really getting into the book, right when the action reached its peak, the book ended. At least this is an older book so I won't have to wait for the rest of the story.
Edited to add: I just read the blurb for the next book and it seems to be a stand alone with completely different characters. So that means...I was left hanging there at the end of book o
Pansy
I started reading this book and all of a sudden I had a soundtrack playing in my head. North To Alaska by Johnny Horton. (Am I showing my age again?) I have never had a book inspire a soundtrack this strongly before. But, well gee, we are in Seattle getting outfitted to sail North, to Alaska. What else was going to play? Then things started to happen, and the soundtrack got muted. I am a bit familiar with the era this story was written about – the gold rushes to the frozen north. In this case, t ...more
Jeannie Zelos
Noble Metals, L.A.Witt
Review from jeannie zelos book reviews
L A Witt is one of my favourite m/m authors so I was looking forward to this book. I love this time period in books too – there's such a feeling of desperation – will they strike it rich or not, and the variety of characters that haunt the goldfields is incredible.
So we meet Robert, came to seek his fortune with his brothers but they were tempted by the lure of the ladies and the cards, and they lost all their money there and neeeded t
The Novel Approach Reviews
This is a 4.5 star review

I read L.A. Witt’s Noble Metals when it was originally published back in 2012, and liked it a lot. The imagination that went into the storytelling was a great blend of historical and technological, which is why Steampunk is one of my favorite sub-genres of fantasy. It also didn’t hurt that I loved the relationship between her two MCs, so when it was offered in its reedited and rereleased format from Riptide, I couldn’t help but want to give it another go-round to see if
Tracy
More like 3.5 stars... it was a decent effort, not as strong as Witt's other works, but the steampunk elements were too distracting to enjoy.

I have read several of L.A. Witt's other works and liked some of those better. Her strength seems to be in her characters and their interactions with contemporary settings and contemporary romances. She writes well in general, and this is what got me through this one.

From the summary, I expected a historical romance, and, when the steampunk elements were i
Jody
I can always count on Ms. Witt for a story that's unique with creative elements and this latest release continues that trend. With a setting that puts us amidst the freezing temperatures and danger of the Gold Rush, and adds in minor steampunk elements, readers easily get caught up in the action and romance between two very different men.

Robert and his brothers came to Seattle to get rich but too much sex and gambling left them destitute and Robert chose to become a prostitute to find a way to c
Crystal's Many Reviewers
I’ll be honest, when I originally got this book, it was because of who the author was. I didn’t even to think to read the blurb, because I have yet to read a book by Ms. Witt that I haven’t enjoyed. When I first started the story, I was a bit disappointed. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting. But as I got further into the story, I found that I couldn’t get enough of it because of how different it was, and how excited I was while reading it.
Ms. Witt created a world, one that yes to a degree co
whitney
4.5 stars. I really liked this. Not too sweet, a little suspense and a quick read. Witt could have easily made this into another book and I'd have loved it! However, I'm happy with the entire book as is. Witt had me falling in love along with John and Robert whilst she they nearly froze in a tent, in the wilderness, while being hunted. If only they'd had more coal ;) I'd recommend this even to all those who say they don't like steampunk.
Carrie
First time reading this author & will be looking for more. Well developed characters & the plot was well done. Only complaints: I don't know what happened to the bad guys... Did they just give up? The only other thing is it seemed to end abruptly, but that could be because I wasn't ready to put the book down yet.
Does anyone think there could be a sequel adventure in Australia? I would love to read that.... :)
Brooklyn
This was surprisingly good. I was a bit wary. I'm not a fan of historical, although steampunk does interest me somewhat. But this one was fun. The whole Gold Rush aspect and John's device helped me overlook the historical part of it.
Melanie

Rating: 4.25 stars out of 5

From my review: "L.A. Witt takes a gripping period in history and gives it a steampunk twist in Noble Metals. Just the mention of gold rush brings all manner of images and references to mind. A huge human migration built on greed, adventure, and the hope of a quick fortune to be made saw towns and small cities spring up around the locations near to the mines or close to the heads of the trails into the gold fields. Those towns quickly filled with the unfortunate, the d
L.A. Witt
Mar 24, 2014 L.A. Witt added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Extensively edited and expanded (pretty much rewritten from the ground up and about 10,000 words longer than the original) re-release of my steampunk novella.
Christine
A good story but was unable to connect with the characters. Even though I love Witt's writing I could only go 3.5 on this one
  • The Inventor's Companion
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Clockwork Tangerine
  • The Professor's Assistant
  • Under the Rushes
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Bonds of Earth
  • Wings of Equity
  • The Gentleman and the Lamplighter
  • House of Mirrors
  • Thief (Brook Street, #1)
  • Sweetwater
  • The Crimson Outlaw
  • Secret Light
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • Across the East River Bridge
  • Prosperity (Prosperity, #1)
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who has finally been released from the purgatorial corn maze of Omaha, Nebraska, and now spends her time on the southwestern coast of Spain. In between wondering how she didn't lose her mind in Omaha, she explores the country with her husband, several clairvoyant hamsters, and an ever-growing herd of rabid plot bunnies.

She also has substantially more ti
More about L.A. Witt...

Metals (2 books)
  • Precious Metals (Metals, #2)
Rules of Engagement (Rules of Engagement, #1) Quid Pro Quo (Market Garden, #1) Where Nerves End (Tucker Springs, #1) The Closer You Get (Distance Between Us, #2) Covet Thy Neighbor (Tucker Springs, #4)