Start by marking “Noble Metals (Metals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Noble Metals (Metals, #1)

Noble Metals (Metals #1)

This edition is no longer available.

Ever since Robert Belton gambled away the money to stake his claim in the Klondike gold fields, he’s been stranded in Seattle working as a prostitute. When an attractive customer needs help hauling provisions to the frozen north, Robert eagerly volunteers.

Dr. John Fauth is only searching for one thing, and it isn’t gold. He needs platinu
ebook, 1st Edtion
Published January 2nd 2012 by Carnal Passions

To ask other readers questions about Noble Metals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noble Metals

julio
Sep 03, 2013 julio rated it did not like it
Repetitive, silly, and dull.

Nice touches here and there, but not enough for me to enjoy this very much.

My overall impression is of wasted opportunity and inattention to detail; the setting should have been almost as much a character in the book as the leads.

I was vexed by problems with logic (every prospector must carry 2,000 pounds of provisions with him into the pass?) and with plot devices that served no purpose whatsoever.

Poorly plotted, indifferently developed, and sloppily edited.

I don't e
Ami
I read the first edition of Noble Metals back in 2012 when it was first released by a now-defunct publisher. I loved the novella – even if it was categorized as historical/steampunk, a genre that was not high on my favorite list. When Boys in Our Books was offered to review the re-edited and re-expanded version, and when I saw that the expansion was over 10,000 words, I jumped immediately for the chance to review. I rarely do a re-read but I wanted to see if my initial 4-stars rating would stand ...more
Ami
I am never a huge fan of historical (even if steampunk genre intrigues me) AND I have hits-and-misses history with L.A. Witt's stories. This one though, it is one of the hits; even if it's a historical/steampunk story.

Right from the beginning, when Robert Belton, the young whore sets eyes on the inventor/scientist Dr. John Fauth, the story grips me and takes me to the end. I love the chemistry and relationship -- but most of all I ENJOY the thrill of the adventure, along with the threats and bu
Jayhjay
Jan 03, 2012 Jayhjay rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my blog Joyfully Jay.

Robert Belton is working as a prostitute in a Seattle saloon, stuck in the city after he and his brothers lost all their money intended for the Klondike Gold Rush to gambling and whoring. Although his brothers returned home, Robert couldn't bear the idea of going back to Montana and instead is making ends meet selling his body to men traveling through the city on their way north to the Yukon in search of gold.

One day a handsome stranger c
Chris, the Dalek King
John had come this far and faced all these dangers for his work--this was a man married to his work, and he’d all but said himself he’d chosen that work over lovers.

Once we’d finished in Dawson City, he’d go back to Chicago. Back to his laboratory. Back to the people who couldn’t know about his “immoral conduct.” There was no room for me in that world.

But that didn’t stop me from hoping.

Robert Belton is a whore. John Fauth is a professor and a scientist. They have little in common–-except the
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jan 04, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Vio
Shelves: m-m, ebook-owned
This is my first story of its kind, a historical Steampunk, and I was pleasantly suprised!
Robert works as a prostitute in one of the last outposts before a difficult and dangerous trek to Canada.
John has invented a device that should help him find platinum, which he needs for the invention he has in mind! ( sounded a lot like Skype to me! Lol)
John and Robert have an instant attraction and Robert jumps at the chance to join John in his travels!
There are bad guys trying to get the device and a tr
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I really enjoyed this love story. Historical romances and steampunk are pretty low on my list of favorites but the depth of the character development in this one overcame my hesitancy and I loved each MC, both individually, and as a couple.

Robert Belton is working as a prostitute in Seattle when professor John Fauth shows up one night. Robert doesn’t want to be a prostitute, but when he gambled his grubstake for the gold fields of Alaska away on a foolish card game, he didn’t have much choice i
ttg
May 17, 2012 ttg rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviews, steampunk
A very enjoyable m/m alternative history/steampunk adventure romance novella about two men journeying from Seattle to Alaska as part of the Klondike gold rush.

I liked both MCs and it was fun to read about their developing relationship, a bond built on sex first, intimacy and trust later. Most of the POV comes from Robert, a prostitute living in Seattle who dreams of getting out and striking it rich in the gold rush. He gets his wish by teaming up to assist a new client--John, a scientist/enginee
Val Kovalin
Just for fun, plot in 6-words: Prostitute and scientist travel steampunk wilderness.

Very enjoyable. Characters are wonderfully three-dimensional. Robert - young, down-on-his-luck prostitute stranded in grubby logging town of Seattle. He's vulnerable, yet capable, innocent, yet sexually over-exploited. John - slightly older scientist, sophisticated, yet rugged, take-charge yet deeply caring.

The two throw their destinies together after a hot, secret night of pleasure. They attempt a dangerous jour
Heidi Cullinan
Jan 08, 2012 Heidi Cullinan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Totally loved this. The boys were darling and the sex was sweet and hot at once. And STEAMPUNK. *dances*
Wart Hill
Find this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

Sometimes when I go into books, I go in kind of blind. I have sort of an idea-ish but not really. This is one of those books. I kind of expected an epic steampunk adventure with a romance background. What it is is the opposite: a romance with a steampunk adventure background. But not in a bad way.

Dr. John Fauth is on his way to a dwindling gold mine in search of a different noble metal to aid his research into semiconducters. On the jour
Vio
Jan 04, 2012 Vio rated it really liked it
A really good adventure and what an exciting story. I loved the historical/steam-punk angle, interesting and thrilling. Robert and John, the prostitute and scientist have a mission to find platinum, its a tumultuous journey, a gripping one. Both guys are wonderful, I liked them and wanted good things to come of all the danger they faced. The chemistry was bang on too, sweet and romantic.
Elisa Rolle
First of all, I was surprise to find out this was an historical romance, I don’t know but I was of the wrong impression it was more sci-fi/fantasy. In a way, there is a steampunk flavour on it, it’s not that the author pushed much on fantasy details, but I think she took some “liberties” to make the story more a romance than a historical novel. For example, John Fauth is a University professor and a scientist, and his machine to find noble metals seems a little too much futuristic to be true, bu ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
A moderately fun m/m steampunk romance. Not a challenging read, but moderately engaging, and the characters were likable.
Heather C
I admit, I may have a slight addiction to Discovery Channel’s Gold Rush and Klondike, so when I saw this book I wanted to read it immediately.  But then I discovered it was to be re-released by Riptide Publishing and expanded by over 10,000 words, so I had to wait.

Noble Metals is set in the late 1890s alternate history during the Klondike Gold Rush in Alaska, where men use mechs or airships to aid them in the treacherous journey to Dawson City.

After gambling all his money away, Robert Belton
Tiffany Michele (BookAndCoffeeAddict)
I love L.A. Witt books and I love steampunk, so when I saw that L.A. Witt had written a steampunk book I just about squealed with joy (confession – there was actual squealing and maybe even a little chair dancing).

A historical action/adventure romance set in an alternative history that combines steampunk with the Wild West/Gold Rush, Noble Metals is a tale of two men searching for precious noble metals (namely gold and platinum) and discovering an even greater treasure in the love they find with
Christy Duke
4.5 Stars ~ Who doesn't love getting the chance to read a rerelease? Especially one where the author added 10,000 words? And a steampunk book, to boot? Me. That's who! I jumped at the chance to read and review 'Noble Metals' by L.A. Witt, for all of those reasons, and the fact that I enjoy this author's works. It was a win-win, in my mind.

It seems fate, or luck, is on Robert's side the night John comes to the brothel/bar where Robert works. Robert convinces John to let him accompany him to the K
Alisa
Apr 27, 2014 Alisa rated it really liked it
**this review is on an ARC of the new updated edition which has not been released yet**

Noble Metals was my first m/m steampunk book and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a fast-paced and interesting adventure with two great lead characters. Robert is currently working in a brothel as a bartender and a prostitute. When a handsome stranger comes in one night looking for someone to go north with him Robert quickly offers to go. The other man, Dr. John Fauth, is on his way to Klondike, not
Tonileg
Steampunk Historical Gold Rush road trip with a young prostitute finds love for the first (and last) time with a nerdy inventor professor.
We find our optimistic young prostitute, Robert Belton in Seattle trying to find a way out of his situation. Dr. John Fauth is looking for a place to sleep and men to join his team to find Platinum in the Gold fields of Northern Canada. They get together because they are good kind trustworthy people surrounded by desperate unscrupulous men. We get lots of exam
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
What a page turner this was.  The steampunk rewrite of the history of the Klonike Gold Rush was quite unique.  The blend of history and technology was believable and had me checking historical facts about the time period to verify my memories and knowledge of the events of the Gold Rush.

The characters of Robert and John are both engaging and believable.  The Gold Rush attracted the men of every class and profession, and pushed many to do things that they would not have in civilized society.  The
DL
Jan 18, 2012 DL rated it liked it
I think the steampunk elements were overshadowed by the harsh Alaskan setting. I liked the characters. I liked their struggles but just as I was really getting into the book, right when the action reached its peak, the book ended. At least this is an older book so I won't have to wait for the rest of the story.
Edited to add: I just read the blurb for the next book and it seems to be a stand alone with completely different characters. So that means...I was left hanging there at the end of book o
Whit
Mar 13, 2012 Whit rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really liked this. Not too sweet, a little suspense and a quick read. Witt could have easily made this into another book and I'd have loved it! However, I'm happy with the entire book as is. Witt had me falling in love along with John and Robert whilst she they nearly froze in a tent, in the wilderness, while being hunted. If only they'd had more coal ;) I'd recommend this even to all those who say they don't like steampunk.
Carrie
Jan 12, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, sci-fi
First time reading this author & will be looking for more. Well developed characters & the plot was well done. Only complaints: I don't know what happened to the bad guys... Did they just give up? The only other thing is it seemed to end abruptly, but that could be because I wasn't ready to put the book down yet.
Does anyone think there could be a sequel adventure in Australia? I would love to read that.... :)
Brooklyn
Aug 20, 2014 Brooklyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was surprisingly good. I was a bit wary. I'm not a fan of historical, although steampunk does interest me somewhat. But this one was fun. The whole Gold Rush aspect and John's device helped me overlook the historical part of it.
Christine
Jun 03, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
A good story but was unable to connect with the characters. Even though I love Witt's writing I could only go 3.5 on this one
L.A. Witt
Jul 29, 2013 L.A. Witt added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Temporarily out of print. Reprint info TBA as soon as it's available.
Love Bytes Reviews
This book was reviewed by Love Bytes Reviews!
L.A. Witt
Mar 24, 2014 L.A. Witt added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Extensively edited and expanded (pretty much rewritten from the ground up and about 10,000 words longer than the original) re-release of my steampunk novella.
Jenn
Mar 07, 2017 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely steampunk adventure romance! Robert and John are both great characters, and the descriptions of the Yukon gold rushers are fantastic.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jun 13, 2014 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it it was amazing
This is a 4.5 star review

I read L.A. Witt’s Noble Metals when it was originally published back in 2012, and liked it a lot. The imagination that went into the storytelling was a great blend of historical and technological, which is why Steampunk is one of my favorite sub-genres of fantasy. It also didn’t hurt that I loved the relationship between her two MCs, so when it was offered in its reedited and rereleased format from Riptide, I couldn’t help but want to give it another go-round to see if
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Inventor's Companion
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • The Crimson Outlaw
  • The Professor's Assistant
  • Trick of Time
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Down
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • First Watch
  • Thief (Brook Street, #1)
  • Highfell Grimoires
  • The Gentleman and the Lamplighter
L.A. Witt is an abnormal M/M romance writer who has finally been released from the purgatorial corn maze of Omaha, Nebraska, and now spends her time on the southwestern coast of Spain. In between wondering how she didn't lose her mind in Omaha, she explores the country with her husband, several clairvoyant hamsters, and an ever-growing herd of rabid plot bunnies.

She also has substantially more ti
More about L.A. Witt...

Metals (2 books)
  • Precious Metals (Metals, #2)