Unfriend Yourself

Unfriend Yourself

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Kindle Edition, New Edition, 97 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Moody Publishers (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Unfriend Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfriend Yourself

Juliana
This book was short enough for me to read in a day. Kyle Tennant has a very balanced approach to social networking. He doesn't condemn it, which I was initially afraid of, but he gives a clear analysis of what it does for us, both good and bad. I found it very interesting that he drew such a distinction between community and communication. Social networking is meant to provide communication (although it often doesn't even do that much), but communication is not enough -- we were created with the...more
Ginger Barber
I decided to read Unfriend Yourself, by Kyle Tennant on a whim. I saw it in a list that I could review and said, what the heck. Why not. It is obviously talking about social media, specifically Facebook, yet, all social media applies.
If you know me, you know I am kinda addicted to Facebook. Maybe kinda isnt the word for it. I am a social person by nature. I like to be “around” other people. I live in the middle of KY and I really don’t know anyone here. Nor, do I have any friends that I can talk...more
Debbie Phillips
Mar 11, 2014 Debbie Phillips rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult
I have had this book on my Kindle for a while now. My daughter Jessica told me on Saturday that she spent the afternoon reading it and it was thought provoking. Since we don't have internet at home right now and I have been limited to being online only one day a week for a few hours at at library I have noticed a lot to things... about my Facebook and about myself. This book added to those thoughts.

The book starts out by condemning social media... listing many problems with it. It makes us self-...more
Jessica
I received this book as a free e-book online. I've been eying it for a while now, thinking it looked like a great, thought provoking book to read (And it definitely is that).

I picked it up one Saturday afternoon after having been without internet for around six months. What better time to read a book about some of the dangers and problems with social media then when you are in the midst of withdrawal, right?

“Unfriend Yourself” highlighted some trouble spots with social media that I was already a...more
Gosunflowers
Great Ideas on how to "thoughtfully" and selflessly (if that's possible) use social media.
Pilar
Feb 17, 2012 Pilar rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Pilar by: Moody Book Publishers
Unfriend Yourself: Three Days to Detox, Discern and Decide about Social Media is a book I really wanted to read. The premise of this book is the effects of social media on our relationships. I had been thinking about this topic for awhile, on how much I rely on social media to maintain contact with friends as opposed to getting together in person.

Kyle Tennant makes an excellent argument on this subject throughout this short, but meaty book. I agreed with much of what he accurately describes as f...more
Jennifer Short
This is a book short on pages, but long on thought provoking questions. In Unfriend Yourself, Kyle Tennant discusses both the advantages and pitfalls of social media. He asks questions relevant to the Christian life and our online persona such as do our Facebook status updates amount to bragging. He explains that we attempt to put our best foot forward at all times, and in so doing we may "like" pages of celebrities or bands we've only heard of and have no connection just to make others perceive...more
Pathway Midland
"Unfriend Yourself" by Kyle Tennant is a small three-day read for anyone looking to grapple with the challenge of social media and what it means for life today. Tennant set the book up to be read over the weekend while you fast from your social media. This way you can think more clearly about the concepts and also have time for his action steps that he includes at the end of each chapter. "Unfriend Yourself" looks at social media from a Christian perspective and challenges the reader to examine...more
Curtis
This is a small three-day read for anyone looking to grapple with the challenge of social media and what it means for life today. Tennant set the book up to be read over the weekend while you fast from your social media. This way you can think more clearly about the concepts and also have time for his action steps that he includes at the end of each chapter. "Unfriend Yourself" looks at social media from a Christian perspective and challenges the reader to examine how media may have changed the...more
Amanda
While I did not do the author's recommended experiment while reading the book, I can see the value in doing it. I began this book at some point in 2013, and finished it in January. I was not quite halfway through it when I began again. It definitely makes you take a closer look at social-media use and the effect it is having on relationships. I think the author must be an extrovert, and my introvert-self found some of his suggestions completely unthinkable...but, that is probably a sign of room...more
Mike Neglia
Great little book that challenges our (my) thoughtless acceptance of social media from a sociological and theological perspective. Communication is good, wonderful and necessary for human flourishing, but Kyle Tennant asks a great question: "Is what takes place on Facebook, Twitter etc actually communication?"
Lauri Rottmayer
I liked this book and thought it more or less confirmed the way that I used social media. I did choose to unfriend myself for three days and it's been a little difficult. I love how social media has brought me real life friends. If not for twitter, I wouldn't know very many of the people I know right now and I feel happy that I could be anywhere in the world and know someone to have coffee with. This is the beauty of social media to me. I like to think I am a positive force and when things get t...more
Renee Herman
Short in number of pages but quite thought provoking on how I use social media. It definitely made me see Facebook, Twitter, etc in a new light and I will be making some changes thanks to this book.
David
This short but insightful book addresses the long held uneasiness I've had over Facebook. I don't feel we should start closing our accounts, but I do sense something is missing when we have the wrong kind of attitude toward social media in general and Facebook in particular. Tennant does a superb job of pinpointing those pitfalls. One of his most valuable points is describing the difference between communication and community. He maintains that while communication is possible through electronic...more
Dana
The author challenges Christians to evaluate how they are using social media--or if social media is using them. He does not suggest completely abandoning Facebook and other social media, but he does differentiate between what Facebook can provide (networking) and what we often try to use Facebook for (community).

This short book is designed to be a guide read during a 3-day "Facebook Fast," complete with an action point for each of the three days. I found the book to be well-written, carefully e...more
James
Interesting book, definitely worth reading. It's short and easy. However, I found the first two chapters to be repetetive of many criticisms of social media that I've encountered already. I also felt that it did border on a personal reflection on social media, rather than presenting research. Chapter three, however, I felt was very worth while. In fact, you could probably read just that chapter and walk away enriched. Tennant spends the chapter talking about what to 'do' with social media, and I...more
Austin Davis
Should Christians use social media? If so, how? In light of our freedom as Christians there may seem to be an obvious answer. However, intuition cannot always be trusted. In his book, Unfriend Yourself, Kyle Tennant asks you to first consider some very important questions before wholly (and perhaps blindly) accepting social media as all-in-all good. Personally, I enjoyed the fact that it is such a simple read, but the impact of Tennant's questions were profound. A great read for any Christian li...more
Crystal

I received this book from moody press as a book review..
I found this book provided great insight to what m heart was already thinking of. It does not tell you to close all social media but to be careful how you use it. I felt the author did a great job informing the reader without too many big fancy words. I truly enjoyed this book & hope others will.
Sometimes its hard to think that social media can distract us from the reality of everyday living..
I would recommend anyone needing a insit...more
Sean
Thankfully, it's short. I used this as one of my resources in prepping for a message about our use of social media. So in that context, it was ok. I got a few good quotes. I found a few ideas that I would take a different way. It just wasn't that well written and doesn't present a strong enough defense of its own purpose. It made me think, but not enough to act. It's a quick read and a good study resource but not one that I'm drinking the Kool-Aid on.
Jobe
This was well written and thought provoking. Many in Christian circles are very critical of its content, saying Tennant is too legalistic and calls for removal of one's facebook profile but I disagree. Tennant's cautious admonishment to be aware of the hold facebook has in our lives is not over stressed and definitely needed. This book opened my eyes to my own relationship with social media and what I needed to alter...and for that, I'm grateful.
Melanie
I really liked this book. It made me think about technology and its influence on me. Also, one thing that really stuck with me was instead of playing a game online, I should play games with my family/friends more. :)

A great book that definitely made me think!

*I got this book when it was free on Amazon Kindle. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Ivan
"[T]his is not a book about how Facebook is evil; it is a book about thinking." This little book has made me reevaluate my use of social media, recognize the inherent dangers, guard my heart against sinful self-promotion, and cultivate the real relationships that matter face-to-face.

"Social media is a great tool—a tool we must subdue, and not be subdued by."
Dwight
I was pretty skeptical of this one. Often books like this fall over the edge into legalism. It asked some good questions and will help some readers get a good look into their motivations.

The chart on page 66 of the kindle edition is laughably useless. What does it add that a hierarchical list wouldn't communicate?
Donna
This book was small, but packed with thought provoking ideas. What are the benefits of social media? What are its weaknesses? The author takes an honest look at both, and gives us ideas on how social media can do some things well, and some things in a way that looks like "community" but lacks "communion".
Anna Mari
Reading through this, you could tell the author had done his research. I appreciated that his resources were varied and not from a single strand of thinking. While I did not take the challenge, it did make me think about how I use social media. Am I using it in place of meaningful relationships?
Mark Ward
A good, humble, earnest, scripturally-attuned book by a young man. Good work, Kyle. Thank you for performing this small service for a needy church.
Carol Waller
Definitely for extroverts. The author doesn't seem to imagine there are people who like mediated contact, who find the constant communion with people tiring, or stressful or overwhelming. No love in his heart for introverts, the socially anxious, the chronically ill.
Godly
Short book with ane excellent analysis of the social and psychological underpinnings of our current use of Social media but most of all a biblical look at how we can redeem it. Recommended read for all in the current Social Media Generation.
Andy
Really enjoyed this book. It got down to the root of why we're so obsessed with social media and why we even use it. It pointed me towards a more humble way of using social media and in a way that doesn't make me the center of the universe...
Debra
Very thought-provoking. The author is not telling you to get rid of Facebook or other social media. He is just trying to get people to look at it differently...to see it for what it is meant to be.
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • What's It Like to Be Married to Me?: And Other Dangerous Questions
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage
  • Confessions of a Prayer Slacker
  • Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half: Why Differences Make a Marriage Great
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • Godforsaken: Bad Things Happen. Is There a God Who Cares? Yes. Here's Proof.
  • Confessions of a Raging Perfectionist: Learning to Be Free
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More!
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • Grace Walk
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Enough: Finding More by Living with Less
  • Insignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World
  • The Organized Kitchen: Keep Your Kitchen Clean, Organized, and Full of Good Food and Save Time, Money, (and Your Sanity) Every Day!