Yesterday (Yesterday, #1)

Yesterday (Yesterday #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  143 reviews
THEN: The formation of the UNA, the high threat of eco-terrorism, the mammoth rates of unemployment and subsequent escape into a world of virtual reality are things any student can read about in their 21st century textbooks and part of the normal background noise to Freya Kallas's life. Until that world starts to crumble.

NOW: It's 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across t...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Random House

Win a Copy of This Book

Yesterday
    Win 3 signed copies of sci-fi thriller Yesterday *AND* its sequel Tomorrow.

Praise for Yesterday:

"A vivid infusion of 1980s culture gives this near-fut…more
    Giveaway dates: Jul 02 - Aug 02, 2014
    3 copies available, 418 people requesting
    Countries available: US and CA
  • Friend Reviews

Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothFever by Lauren DeStefano
    Amazing YA Covers of 2012
    433rd out of 736 books — 2,285 voters
    Prodigy by Marie LuLegend by Marie LuAngelfall by Susan EeEden by Keary TaylorThe Other Life by Susanne Winnacker
    onesyouwantbutcantfind
    11th out of 38 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Catie
    Unconventional review time!

Over at the blog today, I posted a double review of this book along with C.K. Kelly Martin's Come See About Me. If you're starting here - you might want to head over to my review of Come See About Me to see where my crazy train of thought begins and to read a much more positive review for C.K. Kelly Martin. If you were just there...welcome back!

And now for the negativity...

Yesterday. I have very little praise for this book. I felt turned off almost immediately by this...more
    Giselle
    Set in Ontario, Canada, it was fun to read a book with its setting only hours away. They exist but I rarely have stumbled upon a book set in Canada (hence my love for Kelley Armstrong novels). It gave me a delightful reading experience, which made up for some of the qualms I had about the disjointed storylines in this novel.

Yesterday begins with a very enticing prologue. We get thrown into a confusing, but thrilling scene where we originally meet Freya, while raising a lot of questions, it sets...more
    Kelly
    Yesterday is two parts science fiction, one part contemporary, and one part adventure. It's 1985 and Freya just moved to the suburbs of Toronto with her mother and her sister after her father's untimely death in New Zealand. She's not finding the transition easy (who would?) but there's something that feels really remote and distant in her everyday. And she keeps having strange headaches. Not to mention strange instincts to just act, rather than think. She has one of those when she sees a boy in...more
    Trinity

Yesterday is the first book I've read by C.K. Kelly Martin and I'm just not all that sure that this was the place to start.

Set in both a distopian future and a nontopian (yeah that's a word) past this book struggles to gain any actual footing. We start off with our heroin spouting poisonous threats as she's carried off to be evacuated then the next thing we are flung all the way back to 1985. Yep. 1985. For the first few chapters I wasn't even sure I was reading the same book, except we...more
    Rose
    "Yesterday" was my first read from C.K. Kelly Martin, and it's one of those reads that has a brilliant premise shaping the framework of the story, but the overarching execution leaves much to be desired. I did not like the structuring of the story or the writing in this very much. That's one thing I have to be honest about from the get-go in this review. I wish that it had better streamlining and engagement for the story it was trying to tell - it could've made the experience far more intimate w...more
    Janina
    Dystopias and I never really clicked. Don't ask me why, maybe I've just always picked the wrong stories to read, the ones that only came into existence due to the genre's huge popularity after the success that were The Hunger Games – which ironically, never really registered as dystopian in my head. So I thought that this book, written by an experienced author in my beloved contemporary genre, would maybe be the thing for me. Maybe you've deducted from my rating that this wasn't the case.

Althou...more
    Kimba
    3.5
    I love dystopian novels and was drawn to the synopsis for Yesterday. The bulk of the tale takes place in 1985. Not to give my age away or anything, but I graduated from high school in 1985. My teen years seriously reflect all that you know about this iconic time in history. Martin creates a suspenseful science-fiction dystopian and wonderfully portrayed the eighties as I remember them.

The tale begins with a prologue. The year is 2065. We meet sixteen year old, Freya Kallas. We learn about th...more
    Courtney
    Mar 15, 2012 Courtney marked it as to-read
    Psssst! This is on Netgalley!

!!!
    Brin
    Yesterday by C. K. Kelly Martin was a slightly disappointing read for me. I have heard really good things about this author but I was not overly wowed by this book, though the writing was good and I would still consider checking out her other works. I really liked the idea behind this story but the execution of it fell little flat for me and I found the story to be confusing, at least initially.

Yesterday is told from the perspective of Freya Kallas, a sixteen year old girl who is thrown into a...more
    karen
    Jul 22, 2014 karen marked it as ask-greg  ·  review of another edition
    Fans of the Smiths, Depeche Mode, Scritti Politti—this one’s for you.

AND it takes place in canada???

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??
    YA Reads Book Reviews
    Originally posted on www.yareads.com, Reviewed by Nichole

THEN: The formation of the UNA, the high threat of eco-terrorism, the mammoth rates of unemployment and subsequent escape into a world of virtual reality are things any student can read about in their 21st century textbooks and part of the normal background noise to Freya Kallas’s life. Until that world starts to crumble.
    NOW: It’s 1985. Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life. On the outside, she fits in at her new...more
    Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
    Originally reviewed on A Reader of Fictions.

My second C. K. Kelly Martin book has me convinced that I need to write every single thing she writes. Martin has a very distinct style. Her writing is wonderful and her concepts, at least for the two books I've already read, are entirely original. Yesterday didn't remind me of any other dystopia, a very rare experience.

Yesterday is one of those stories where you'll spend most of the book confused, unsure what the heck is going on. However, rest easy w...more
    Kat
    I'm going to do this review a little differently by saying at the beginning that I enjoyed this book far more than I thought I would, based on it's Goodreads rating. Currently it sits at 3.34 average which actually surprises me quite a bit, because it's one more the more unique YA dystopians than I've read in a long time.

Yesterday is almost split into two parts, beginning with Freya trying to find her place in a new school with a vaguely unsettled, disconnected feeling. Whilst I enjoyed this par...more
    Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
    Yesterday is a world where the future is the past, and the past is the future. Kind of confusing, isn’t it? To be honest, I couldn’t quite get the idea the first time I read the synopsis. But it was interesting enough to make me want to read it. I got the idea of time-travelling but what’s with the whole interchanging thing anyway?

Freya, the protagonist, is swept into the year the 1985 [with no memory of the life she had in 2036]. She remembers travelling from Australia to Canada after her fath...more
    Gabby
    C.K. Kelly Martin delivers an original take on a post apocalyptic world.With Twits and turns at every corner, and faced paced action What's not to like?

Freya Kallas has just moved across the world and into a new life but Freya feels nothing but removed. Her mother blames it on the grief over her father's death, but how does that explain the headaches and why do her memories feel so foggy?
    When Freya lays eyes on Garren Lowe, she can't get him out of her head. She's sure that she knows him, despit...more
    Nicki Markus
    I found the opening of this book a little confusing, but gradually everything fell into place and I really began to enjoy the tale. Once I was captured, the book was a real page turner, with plenty of action and suspense to hold my attention.

Freya is a great character - likeable yet flawed - and her interaction with Garren was subtle and believable, offering some realism in the wake of all the 'insta-love' stories doing the rounds at the moment. Excellent characterisation and you really did get...more
    Lindsay
    I thought for sure there was going to have to be a sequel to Yesterday until the final of many plot twists. And boy, was it a good one. The characters and setting and premise were just too jam-packed with detail for me to feel like it would just... end there.
    But it did, and it did really really well. The constant whirlwind of action came to such a satisfying close I couldn't believe it was over so perfectly.
    This was an amazing book and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants something fast-pac...more
    PopcornReads
    I was scouting for a new YA novel when I stumbled on Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin. I had heard good things about her novels and the book cover was amazing. When I read the publisher’s blurb about Yesterday’s concept, it sounded so original that I knew I had to get a copy. If you like sci-fi or dystopian, futuristic novels, check out my review. And for you romance fans, there’s even a romantic thread. As with a lot of this genre, it may be a YA novel but it’s going to appeal to a wide range of...more
    Oct 03, 2012 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
    Shelves: 2012
    Not my favorite book by one of my favorite authors. However, this is more of a "Sarah" issue than an issue with the book itself--I'm not a fan of sci-fi-ish things, nor am I a fan of the 1980s (I remember the 80s, that decade sucked). I do, however, really appreciate that the last two of CK Kelly Martin's novels have been departures from her usual fare, because I love it when authors experiment with different genres.
    Jillian
    I went into this book rather blind, not knowing what to expect but I'm pleased to say that I did enjoy it. The entire concept of the book I found intensely interesting and I couldn't help but wonder what like is going to be like in 78 years and how what we're doing right now is going to affect it. I love books about time travel and this book definitely took a unique spin on the idea. I really enjoyed the world that C.K. Kelly Martin created and the dynamics of it. However, there were a few chapt...more
    Autumn
    Yesterday is about a drastic climate change in 2063 forces the people of U.N.A. to flee to the coasts, as it's harming its citizens. Some survivors are asked to be relocated, where they are wiped of their memories and implanted with new ones, and are sent to 1985 to start over. Freya and Garren are two survivors who remember what happened to them and their families, and they are on a mission to uncover the truth about what really happened to them.

I liked the book. It's a good time-travel story w...more
    Anita
    The girl named Freya has just moved across the globe and now she is living in Canada. She can hardly remember her life, then one day, she saw Garren. For once in her life she felt real, she feels that they've met, but he insists they have never met. She then finds out that they both hold a secret that tell when they were really from. As the story continues, they find out more about themselves, which brings them to more danger.

The reason I picked up this book was because the summary at the back o...more
    Steph Sinclair
    Read along with Kat Kennedy. :D

Putting aside for now until it's closer to September.
    Miranda Kenneally
    Feb 03, 2012 Miranda Kenneally marked it as to-read
    I can't wait for this!
    Christa  Seeley
    This review originally posted at More Than Just Magic

With the release of volume 2 of Inaccurate Realities (a.k.a the Time Travel issue) I went on a bit of a time travel bender. Yesterday has been on my shelf forever and seemed like the perfect fit. I loved the premise of this story – people sent back in time because humans have messed up the planet so badly in the future. Despite the fact that time travel doesn’t exist this seemed incredibly plausible. We already know when it comes to the planet...more
    Bookworm1858
    3.5/5-this will be a difficult review.

Hmm...this is a difficult review for me to write as I'm pretty neutral about C.K. Kelly Martin's latest offering. I've seen some of her other books around and was thrilled to grab this new one. But while the words tend to flow when I have specific praises or criticisms about a book, they dry up when I have neutral feelings about a book, which is the case here.

I do give Martin props for her writing, which helped lift a middling tale in my opinion. Some elemen...more
    Nichole
    Originally posted on www.yareads.com, Reviewed by Nichole

Dark Faerie Tales
    Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Time traveling teenagers that lost their memories of the future, but try desperately to seek out the truth behind their situations.

Opening Sentence: When I wake up I have a pounding headache behind my eyes just like I’ve had: every morning lately.

The Review:

Yesterday by C.K. Kelly Martin is a tale of futuristic dystopian madness, or is it? Sixteen-year-old Freya Kallas keeps having visions of a time far removed from good ole 1985. Is her sen...more
    Cecilia Solis-sublette
    I approached this book somewhat skeptically. Set in 1985? I was worried I would be assaulted with Valley Girl speak and an inundation of lame, over-the-top 80s references. Luckily, Martin does a really good job of setting the scene in the 80s without overdoing it. So, yes, there are the Breakfast Club references and the Cabbage Patch Kids references but...it isn't too bad.

So, now, we get to the novel, itself. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast-paced the story was. I finished the book in two...more
    Anna
    This book is laid out differently than you'd expect. We start with a prologue, clearly in the future, where a girl has lost her brother(it seems that her parents had him killed) and then is kidnapped(with her parents permission). Then, in chapter one, we go back to 1985, where Freya, our main character, is struggling with strange dreams and conflicting memories about her life leading up to this point. Her father has just died in a gas explosion and her whole family has relocated to Canada, wher...more
    • Flutter
    • Nerve
    • Shift (Shift, #1)
    • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
    • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
    • Midnight City (Conquered Earth, #1)
    • A Matter of Days
    • Paradise
    • Cybernetic
    • Candlewax
    • The Loved and the Lost (The Verona Trilogy #3)
    • Famished
    • The Prince Who Fell from the Sky
    • I Am (Not) the Walrus
    • Blackwood
    • The Deserter (The Bone World Trilogy, #2)
    • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
    • Touched
    Most of my time spent at York University in Toronto was as an English major, not the traditional way to graduate with a B.A. in Film Studies but a fine way to get a general arts education. After graduation I headed for Dublin, Ireland and spent the majority of the nineties there in forgettable jobs meeting unforgettable people and enjoying the buzz.

I always thoughts I'd get around to writing in ea...more
    More about C.K. Kelly Martin...
    I Know It's Over My Beating Teenage Heart One Lonely Degree The Lighter Side of Life and Death Come See About Me

“But you can't unsee something once you've seen it. Not without a memory wipe anyway.” 6 likes