The Truant Officer

The Truant Officer

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  22 reviews
To have and to hold from this day forward...
Darren McLaughlin thinks he's having a nightmare as he watches his wife, Lilly, being abducted from a gas station in Chandler, Arizona. Things then go from bad to worse, when it's revealed that her captor is one of the students she taught at a local high school.

For better or worse...
In Manhattan, US Attorney Aaron Eicher cringes...more
Published (first published October 10th 2011)

Nicola
I had some trouble getting into this book at the beginning. I found it to be slightly confusing, and difficult to follow. It did not grab my attention in the beginning. I gave it another chance, and once I got into the book, I found it to be more interesting as the story developed. There were a lot of twists and turns, often surprising me. I did not like the character of Lilly- and felt that her husband was left twisting in the wind by her and her "boyfriends". I was continually wishing that Dar...more
Bobbi Steadman
When you download one of those thousands of 'free' kindle books, you think that there might be a chance this is decent, but chances are, it's not. It's probably boring, probably poorly written. But, for me, that wasn't the case with this book. The beginning was a bit slow, and somewhat boring, admittedly. By the time I read it, I had forgotten what it was supposed to be about, so I was thrown through a loop several times as the story developed. I was a bit disappointed in the ending as I had hop...more
Heidi Rothert
started but didn't finish.. not really something I was interested in. a little too dark and dirty for me.
Andrea
Nick’s wife is kidnapped, seemingly the latest in a string of gang-initiation kidnappings where women were kidnapped, beaten and raped. As the truth unfolds, he finds that a gang initiation would have been a merciful alternative, as a tangled web of lies and deceit unfolds before him, propelling him across the country and into another continent chasing her down, while he himself is hunted by an enemy nobody could predict. A fabulous thriller, the second book I have read by Ciccone, both of which...more
Crystal
To my dismay, I read this book twice. It seemed vaguely familiar as I read the second time, but I was already hooked by the story, as unlikely and changeable as it was, before I recognized that I had indeed read it before. I have to say I didn't like it any better the second time. It was disjointed and confusing, good guys became bad guys and vice versa every few pages. By the time I had finished it, I was sure that there were no good guys at all.
Mel Russell
Initially I found this quite confusing, as I struggled to get my head around the backstory and to remember how all the characters related to each other. This was a bit easier as the novel progressed, but all the double agents and people lying about their identities didn't help. I felt that this was a good twist, but Ciccone took it too far and it got boring. Overall, I found this laborious and was relieved when it ended.
Dorel
This is the first book I read by Derek Ciccone. I really don't like mob books but this really surprised me. I couldn't put it down once I started it. It took me about a week to finish reading it. I love that it is an action pack page turner. All the characters was well written. I love that it was full of surprises. I agree with all the 5 star reviews. I would definitly read more books by this author.
Julie Powell
I found this an unusual read. It's a crime thriller of sorts with a rather odd take on how things would be in reality. However, I did think that, on the whole, it was well written. I liked the beginning, the mystery of who and why, although the story did have its twists and turns, and, if you could keep up, it was quite well done.

A story for those who like the unexpected.
Kim Rhoads
Good read

kept me guessing the whole way through! I thought I had it figured out then something else would happen to make me change my mind. if you like crime novels you will enjoy this book.
Kelly
This book has short chapters and jumps from person to person.. by chapter 10 I was completely lost. I couldn't keep up with who did what and how anyone was connected so I gave up.. according to the Kindle I was 11% into the book. The book was an Amazon freebie tho so I can't complain. I just deleted it and moved on.
Oma
It was a little tedious in the beginning and hard to get into. But as Darren's character started getting more bold, I enjoyed it more. He was really the only "good" character so when he acting as a milquetoast husband, I was turned off by all the evil bolder players.
It was worth sticking with it to the end.
Rick Mekemson
This was one of those books that I couldn't help but think I was wasting my time. I figured since none of the characters were worth caring about why should I keep on while I could be organizing my sock drawer or something else of equal value. You can't expect to like everything you pick up to read.
Bettyjean Murphy
I found it to be slightly confusing. It jumped all over the place. I did like the story in the end but was hard to keep tract of the which CHARACTER they were talking about.
Hazel
Not interesting at all. The only reference to the title came on the very last page. A very disappointing read. In fact I have read other books in between!!!!
Kevin Johnson
Another free gem from Barnes and Noble. A clever plot, interesting characters and plot twists.
Dorrie
story moved very fast and was hard to put down. lots of characters in short, choppy chapters.
Angie
Uh .... when you start to read and you can't keep straight who's who , it is time to move on .
Candice Ellis
Very good book. There were lot of twist and turns in this book which made it very interesting.
Suzanne
I enjoyed this book. Didnt find it confusing at all and thought the twists were very well placed.
Barb
This book was full of twists and turns. I really liked it.
Katy Gaffney
Fabulous read from start to finish
Amy
May 09, 2013 Amy added it
Kindle
Crys Hooton
Crys Hooton is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Mica Dwyer
Mica Dwyer marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Jan 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Breaking News
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • Color Me Grey (Alexis Stanton Chronicles, #1)
  • The Geronimo Breach
  • The Butterfly Legacy
  • India's Summer
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Mystery Shorts, #1)
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • The Lethal Effect
  • Unto These Hills
  • Conspiracy of Silence
  • Murder At The Rocks (An Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery, #2)
  • Gray Justice
  • Birdsongs
  • Motor City Shakedown
  • Taken
  • Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)
  • Casanova Killer:  An SSCD Crime Thriller
Painless Officer Jones The Heritage Paper The Trials of Max Q Huddled Masses (JP Warner/Officer Jones)