Start by marking “The Stalker” as Want to Read:
Bill Pronzini

The Stalker

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  15 reviews
March, I 9 59 The khaki—colored Smithfield armored car entered the enclosed
grounds of Mannerling Chemical, a few miles south of Granite City, Illinois, ...
Published August 3rd 2011 by Speaking Volumes (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Stalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stalker

Not all that impressed. I guessed who was doing the killing pretty much as soon as the killing started. I think the book was too short to have so many love interest-esque characters and to make them effective. The epilogue was extremely staccato and felt too removed, like it needed some editing or something.
This was interesting in a time-travel kind of way. I kept picturing 60s series as the settings for the houses. In fact, most of the settings, in my mind, are black & white a la "I Love Lucy" and "Bewitched." However, it is always interesting to see an accomplished author's first published work.

The plot revolves around a group of men who held up an armored car over 10 years ago. Suddenly, several of them, scattered across the country, have had fatal "accidents." The remaining three are forced
That awkward moment when you’re enjoying a really good suspense and mystery book, and it suddenly turns into a goddamn love story..

What the fuck?!

Why book, why would you do that to me? Had I wanted to read a love story I would have picked up a freaking Nicholas Sparks book!

This is a story that circles 6 men who one by one is getting killed by a mystery man. We get POV’s from a few of these, and many others..
The story itself is pretty good, and I was definitely hooked. I wanted to know who
"I didn't see the point in having the POV's of the wives/girlfriends. In fact, once their men were killed, they were cut out of the story anyway. It got better towards the end, but it was a struggle to get there."
Old style detective series with excellent writing, plots and characters throughout
Sharon Davies
I enjoy any Pronzini book. Fun going back in time to SF and Marin.
Janet Horner
Not bad. Very quick... just under 200 pages long. Saw some reviews that griped about it turning into a love story. I didn't think that at all. Decent character building and I didn't guess who the "stalker" was... had an inkling but certainly didn't feel like it was given away or poorly disguised.

Book was a freebie from the Cottonwood Falls Library at a sale they had two years ago. Just now got around to reading it and it was worth every penny. Ha!
It was okay. I expected better. I prefer Pronzini's short stories. The way this was written kind of removed most of the suspense. If it was re-structured, it would fare better. For instance, we know too much of what the 'stalker' is doing, into his head a bit too much. A really generic story, in any case.

This book is REALLY good....It keeps you reading like a freight train! This is one of those books that allows you to see both sides of the equation: the mind of the 'villain' and the mind of the 'anti-hero'. VERY good for those who love quick and dirty thrillers! High recommend!
May 11, 2008 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: LJ recommended the author
Shelves: mystery
This is a fast paced mystery/thriller. Men who participated in a never solved robbery of an armored truck are being picked off one-by-one 11 years after the crime. At only 190 pages it makes a good read-on-the-plane book.
I believe this was Bill's debut novel. I have it in hardcover somewhere at Castle Lynskey.
Picked up this book just based on author's reputation. Not much to talk about. Mediocre.
Six men commit a crime 11 years ago and now they are dying from strange accidents.
1st novel, suspenseful, decent
Beiza added it
Nov 12, 2015
Henneke Versteeg
Henneke Versteeg marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Michael Katz
Michael Katz marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Rhonda L.
Rhonda L. marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Sara added it
May 02, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Edgar Awards Best Novel nominee (1998) for A Wasteland of Strangers
Shamus Awards Best Novel nominee (1997) for Sentinels
Shamus Awards "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) 1987
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1982) for Hoodwink

Married to author Marcia Muller.

Robert Hart Davis (collab
More about Bill Pronzini...