Blood and Fire

Blood and Fire

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Bassist and all-round slacker Xan Marcelles spends his nights at a remote tavern in Pinecliffe, Colorado. But there’s something else, he’s also a vampire, and although he reckons he has a handle on this secret, he’s not prepared for the day when people he thinks are the FBI drug him and haul him away.

Ashton Kennedy isn’t human anymore and, as a member of a race of beings k...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Dark Continents Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Fire

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle MeadSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Vampire Books
16th out of 321 books — 143 voters
Mateguas Island by Linda  WatkinsSorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorConduit by Angie MartinDancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Ladies of Horror and Dark Fiction Writing
14th out of 194 books — 169 voters

More lists with this book...

Sonya Clark
Blood and Fire is not only a good standalone story, it works as a fabulous teaser for two upcoming books: Clevenger's Crooked Fang and Dorman's Inkarna.

Xan Marcelles is a vampire bass player in a cover band who makes his home in a small out of the way bar called Pale Rider. He is refreshingly free of angst, brooding, and many of the other current vamp traits. He's not a bad guy either, but he is still very much a vampire. In many ways he is just a regular guy trying to live his life on his own t...more
Shannon MacLeod
Just finished reading the latest outing from the dynamic duo of Carrie Clevenger and Nerine Dorman. I love dark fantasy and its comfortable cadence – setup, introduce the conflict, peril, some action, resolution. Heroes get the girls, bad guys get theirs and everyone rides off into the sunset.

Blood and Fire isn’t anything even close to predictable.

Holy crap, what a wild ride. This is a real grab you by the throat and run story. There’s no downtime, no break in the action for you to catch your...more
Richard Godwin
This is an excellent novella by Clevenger and Dorman. I have long been a fan of Clevenger's Crooked Fang. He is a smart razor sharp character and her stories move at a fast pace. This collaboration between two fine authors at the top of their game provided me with a great read. Blood and Fire brings together two characters from different novels, merging styles effectively and seamlessly.
In this story Xan is kidnapped. He meets his alter-ego, Ash, a mystic figure seeking an artifact. He rescues...more
Matt
The problem, if you could call it that, with crossovers is that they so often contain characters that rely upon your prior knowledge to make the story being told fun or even interesting. Thankfully, Blood and Fire manages to sidestep all of that with a strong opening hand that made me instantly feel not-quite-comfortable in this madcap mystical universe, but certainly okay seeing where the winding tale would take me.

It's a confident opening volley that gets this story going fast, establishing t...more
Icy Sedgwick
I've long been a fan of Carrie Clevenger's Xan Marcelles, and in this novella, the bassist vampire is marched out of Pale Rider, in Pinecliffe, Colorado, and into a hellish house of mysteries. He's not the only one - Ashton Kennedy, written by Nerine Dorman, is a being known as an Inkarna (essentially a body thief) and he's charged with the task of breaking into the same mystery house to retrieve an ancient artifact. The unlikely pair team up in order to bust some heads and get the hell out of t...more
Dorothy Shaw
A wonderfully fast paced novella featuring Carrie Clevenger's Xan from the Crooked Fang series and Nerine Dorman's Ashton from Inkarna. This book was a precursor to both of those novels. A little taste to wet the whistle for the fans, if you will.

I've said it many times before, and will say it again. Xan Marcelles is still my favorite vampire. He's not your typical vamp and I'm happy to say, I don't think he ever will be. Although, he loves to come across as the typical "a$$hole" who drinks and...more
Noor Jahangir
Blood and Fire is the new Xan Marcelles short story and the second collaboration between authors Carrie Clevenger and Nerine Dorman. Xan is a self-proclaimed dude who happens to be a member of Crooked Fang, a rock band who play out of the Pale Rider, a back country tavern in Colarado. He also is a vampire; a fact that has caught the attention of an Egyptian cult of sorcerors leading to his present adventure.
This story allows us to get past the cool, leather-wearing, whiskey drinking womanizer to...more
Shaun
Blood and Fire is the second collaboration between Clevenger and Dorman. It sees the individual forces of Xan Marcelles and Ashton Kennedy collide in a fast-paced and action-filled thriller where the two find themselves fighting against a seemingly unstoppable enemy. These characters are brilliantly formed and very real – even within their fantastical environment. The writing is slick and consummate with seamless character transitions, leaving the reader feeling satisfied but still excited for m...more
Heather Wildman
I actually really enjoyed this read. The only setback for me was the first person all the way through with two characters. Having each change in POV as a chapter break helped, but I still felt like it was one character all the way through.

As far as the story line and flow, it was an easy read. It did what it was supposed to and made me want to delve further into these characters in other books.

If you want to meet the characters before delving into other stories, this book and "Just My Blood Typ...more
Ryan
Dec 06, 2012 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
This was an interesting collaboration between two authors: my understanding is each took a character from another work of theirs and threw them together. Hijinks ensue, as they usually do in this type of story.

I have to say I enjoyed one half of the story a lot more than the other, but overall this was a fun, quickly paced novella designed to introduce you to the characters and their worlds. It definitely succeeded at that, and I'll be checking out more work by these authors in the future.
Melissa Ecker
Clevenger and Dorman do an excellent job merging the worlds of Xan and Ash. These two characters collide to form the unlikeliest of alliances in this urban fantasy thriller. Delivering plenty of blood and fire via fangs and magic, this collaboration is a quick read filled with action, adventure and some hilarious snark between Ash and Xan. I would definitely love to see more from these two authors.
Synde
This second collaboration between Clevenger and Dorman is even more fun than the first. More insight into vampire Xan's previous life, along with his current one. Add mysterious Ash into the mix, and some esoteric Egyptian principles and you'll get way more than you bargained for..
Great fun, I especially enjoyed Xan's self depreciating manner.
For the price of a beer, this is a must read...
Tiki
I dig Xan & Ash has badass mojo. Review to come.....
Susan A.
a meeting of two incredible beings under less than auspicious circumstances.
I enjoyed this collaboration and I'm thankful that the guys prevailed. I wouldn't have minded some hint as to what has become of Marlise and the child she was carrying at the end of Inkarna, but such was not to be.
Ernie
The second collaboration by Clevenger and Dorman is fantastic. The back and forth between Xan and Ash is brilliant, and I loved every bit of the snark. Vamps, magic, Egyptian references galore - what's not to love? This was very much my cup o' tea. Er, whisky. So well done!
Eva
My complete review can be found on my blog.
Christel Grady
Loved Ash, and am hoping these two will reconnect somewhere down the road.
Cathy Olliffe-Webster
Jan 10, 2012 Cathy Olliffe-Webster rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
The thing most people don't tell you about vampires is that they're addictive - especially tall, muscle-bound, long-haired musician dudes like Xan Marcelles. I've read him twice now, once in Blood and Fire and once in Just My Blood Type, and now I've got a thirsty jones for some more. Xan's a sexy bad-ass laying low in a rough and tumble bar named Pale Rider in the middle of stinking nowhere. He drinks whiskey to smote his need for the blood of tasty young bar patrons, but he also plays bass in...more
Nadine Maritz
EVIEW – BLOOD AND FIRE
COLLABORATION ON JUST MY BLOOD TYPE

WRITTEN BY: CARRIE CLEVENGER & NERINE DORMAN

Blood and Fire is a short story which is the second collaboration between the two authors. The story takes us on an awesome adventure into the life of Xan Marcelles a vampire who is part of a rock band called Crooked Fang. The band performs out of the Pale Rider a back country Tavern in Colorado.

In Just my Blood Type we got to know Xan as modern day womanizer clad in leather. In this novella...more
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Aug 01, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Cindy
Cindy added it
Apr 20, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Pam/Peejakers (PJ Faste)
Pam/Peejakers (PJ Faste) marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
3520560
Carrie Clevenger enjoys documentaries, non-fiction, Blue Moon, music, and coffee. Sometimes she writes poetry and short stories that have bad endings. She's the elusive sort and has a horrid fear of meeting people, but socialization isn't exactly how good books are written. Carrie is the author of the Crooked Fang series and has many more awful things planned.

More about Carrie Clevenger...
Crooked Fang (Crooked Fang, #1) Just My Blood Type Traitors Chances Are: A Roman Dalton Yarn Dark Harvest