Start by marking “Bitter Grounds” as Want to Read:
Bitter Grounds

Bitter Grounds

Coffee, New Orleans & Zombies.
Published September 13th 2010 by tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Grounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Grounds

Tamara
Available here

“In every way that counted, I was dead. Inside somewhere maybe I was screaming and weeping and howling like an animal, but that was another person deep inside, another person who had no access to the face and lips and mouth and head, so on the surface I just shrugged and smiled and kept moving..”

Overall reaction:

This is one of the times I admire what Gaiman’s done, but can’t really enjoy the result all that much. Dont get me wrong, Neil Gaiman is a writer of ideas, and they are f
Badseedgirl
The descriptions in this short story were beautiful, but I have to be brutally honest here. I have no idea what this story was about. Here is what I know.
- There are zombies, not the eat living flesh zombies, but the voodoo zombies.
- The narrator starts out by saying he is dead, and he does seem to sleep-walk through the entire story.
Rocelle Tangi
Jan 06, 2016 Rocelle Tangi rated it really liked it
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." Pure genius!
Benjamin Stahl
May 07, 2017 Benjamin Stahl rated it liked it
Well, instead of what Gaiman said he wanted of his readers, I finished it and was like "the fuck was that about?"

I guess I'm kind of dumb maybe. Still really liked it though. It was told in a very entertaining and humorous way. Just didn't get the underlying point.
Nathanael
Aug 24, 2015 Nathanael rated it it was ok
I've read this one before, when I read Fragile Things, but I still don't really get it. There's quite a bit of nice atmosphere, the ideas presented are intriguing, the ending is a bit spooky and ambiguous, but it just feels disjointed and meandering to me. Characters wander in and out and everything seems to operate on dream logic. It's not a bad story, just one that didn't really engage me.
Kristen Ying
Jun 19, 2014 Kristen Ying rated it really liked it
Went into reading this with no prior knowledge as to what it was about, and would recommend others read it as such if at all possible.

Gaiman does such a good job at strange perspectives that I was almost unhappy at the end when it became a little more direct about what was going on. I initially thought it was just the first section, due to the format I read it in online, and the first part is actually an interesting tiny piece on its own, too.
Pritesh Patil
Aug 03, 2015 Pritesh Patil rated it liked it
Once again Neil Gaiman proves that he is a master wordsmith. This story of his is not as good as some of his other work, and yet the most important scenes from the story manage to hit you and have a sense of poignancy and elegance to them. A master at saying things profoundly, and giving an altogether new twist to the oft normal and known world, Neil Gaiman is a true artist and master storyteller in every sense of the word.
Lindsay
Aug 14, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it
It's not often I'll review a short story on its own, especially when it's part of a collection. However, Bitter Grounds has left me so utterly confused that I felt it was necessary in an attempt to draw some like minded commentators or invite someone to explain to me what the fuck I just read. I shall be re-reading in an attempt to grasp things I missed before.
Maggie Gordon
I've read this story a few times, and while I find it hard to describe what it is about, the word craft is, as always with Gaiman, vivid and captivating. The piece has a haunted, dream-like feel, and the protagonist always seems a bit out of reach. I still wonder what happened to the original anthropologist...
Nerine Dorman
Aug 04, 2015 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored the everloving hell out of this story. It's scratchy behind the eyes, gritty and dirty.
Russeller
Dec 27, 2015 Russeller rated it really liked it
neil's awesome.
Tina
Jun 23, 2015 Tina rated it liked it
A good story, well-written, but a little confusing and half-finished.
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Emma Frapwell
Emma Frapwell rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Chichi
Chichi rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Maud van  Lier
Maud van Lier rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Chris Quinn
Chris Quinn rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Izaak
Izaak rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
MICHAEL J
MICHAEL J rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2017
Gayane
Gayane rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Faresia
Faresia rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Sharon Janssens
Sharon Janssens rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2017
Debjani
Debjani rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Rhiannon Phillips
Rhiannon Phillips rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Khristiey
Khristiey rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Auden Granger
Auden Granger rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012