Start by marking “Palladian” as Want to Read:
Palladian

Palladian

When newly orphaned Cassandra Dashwood arrives as governess to little Sophy, the scene seems set for the archetypal romance between young girl and austere widowed employer. Strange secrets abound in the ramshackle house. But conventions are subverted in this atmospheric novel: one of its worlds is suffused with classical scholarship and literary romance, but the other is c ...more
Published September 2011 by Hachette Digital (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Palladian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palladian

Paul
Sep 03, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: virago
This is my first Elizabeth Taylor and quite an oddity it is. Written and set just after the Second World War; it references more classic novels than you can shake a stick at. These comparisons are not subtle and there is a gothic edge to it. The setting is a decaying mansion and like Brideshead Revisited there is an analysis of the decline of the English upper classes. But the main references are to Austen and the Brontes.
The main character is a newly orphaned governess called Cassandra Dashwoo
Libros Prestados
Aug 08, 2016 Libros Prestados rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aquí su videoreseña: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXPD...

Entiendo por qué se compara a este libro con "La abadía de Northanger" de Jane Austen, aunque la comparación puede dar a confusión. El libro de Jane Austen es una parodia del género de misterio gótico muy en boga en su época disfrazada de novela costumbrista y Austen perfila sus personajes buscando siempre aquellas excentricidades que los hagan graciosos u objetos de burla. Austen no suele ser benevolente con sus personajes.

En cambio,
SarahC
May 30, 2013 SarahC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seldom comment on other reviews of the books I read but I did want to say that I received Palladian much differently than some of the reviewers here. I do not find it to be satirical or derivative. I believe Taylor may have been interested in examining the circumstances of the young girl left with the choice of governess in a closed environment working for and experiencing unusual family members. Many significant women's writers were writing about what our options were in mid 20th century or e ...more
Magrat Ajostiernos
Tiene más de las Brontë que de Austen, y es imposible no ver el homenaje a "Rebeca"
Ha sido una lectura sorprendente y muy distinta a lo que me esperaba. :)
Kirsty
Jul 13, 2016 Kirsty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Palladian, a copy of which I borrowed from the library, was my Elizabeth Taylor choice for our challenge. I am an admirer of her other novels, and rank some of them amongst my absolute favourite books. I was very excited to try out one of her novellas, as opposed to the longer works which I have encountered to date. Palladian is ‘on one level, her rewriting of Jane Eyre‘; one of my favourite novels.

Originally published in 1946, Taylor’s second novel Palladian has found its way, along with much o
Eileen
Apr 12, 2009 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britlit, virago
What a weird little book. Partially a traditional English-governess-falls-for-the-head-of-the-house narrative, partially a commentary on class distinctions and cultural divisions as they fell apart and realigned in the 1940s, partially a series of thoughts on relationships and how people can work together even through and after a terrible history. The use of anachronism as a device is really interesting.
Jane
Mar 04, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassandra Dashwood, at the age of eighteen is quiet, bookish and, dare I say, a little dull. And, after her father’s recent death, she is alone in the world.

Fortunately Mrs. Turner, her former headmistress, takes an interest in Cassandra, and finds her a post: Marion Vanbrugh is a widower with a young daughter, Sophy, and he needs a governess.

It was so, so easy for Cassandra to cast herself and Jane Eyre and Marion as Mr Rochester.

But reality would prove to be a little different.

Marion was as qu
Anne Blunsden
Paula
Aug 16, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and subtle. Should be read alongside Waugh's Brideshead Revisited for any attempt to understand the postwar decline of the British upper class and the rifts in the middle and working classes. It's a Victorian novel that's been squeezed and distorted -- as England has been squeezed and distorted by the conflicts and changes of the 20th century.
Sorcha
Jun 17, 2013 Sorcha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ebook
When newly-orphaned Cassandra Dashwood arrives as governess to little Sophy, the scene seems set for the archetypal romance between young girl and austere widowed employer. But conventions are subverted. Cassandra is to discover that in real life, tragedy, comedy and acute embarrassment are never far apart.
Sylvester
Dec 07, 2013 Sylvester rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
1.5* Good writing, lackluster plot. Just not my kind of book, really. Any comparison to Jane Eyre verges on the ludicrous. I don't mean to be harsh - and I would try another of E.T.'s books - it's the subject matter rather than the writing, I think. Not for me.
Michaela
Jan 11, 2011 Michaela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MORE ELIZABETH TAYLOR PLEASE.
AticoLibros
Dec 26, 2012 AticoLibros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: atico
Una novela clásica al mejor estilo de Jane Austen

«Incluso antes de verle o de hablar con él, Cassandra había decidido amarle, como una institutriz en una novela. Conocerle simplemente había confirmado su intención, había hecho posibles sus esperanzas».

La joven Cassandra está sola en el mundo después de la muerte de su padre. Cuando llega a Cropthorne Manor como institutriz de la pequeña Sophy, la desgastada mansión y las decadentes estatuas de la propiedad son exactamente como esperaba. Y Marion
Marija
Mar 27, 2012 Marija rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-classics
Palladian is essentially a hodge-podge of Jane Eyre, Rebecca and Jane Austen. While Austen is certainly acerbic and nettling in regards to her wit, Elizabeth Taylor is all the more abrasive in this novel. Palladian reads like a satire of good gothic fiction. In effect, Taylor morphs the hauntingly dark, brooding male lead and makes him almost effeminate in appearance, complete with long spindly hands. And while, there is a brooding male in this story, who draws macabre anatomical drawings that r ...more
Ali
Feb 04, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Elizabeth Taylor’s second novel. Published in 1946, it is quite a strange little novel. The writing is – as I have to expect from Elizabeth Taylor – beautiful, spare, with everything minutely observed. There are moments, when I found some of the conversation between characters, particularly Marion Vanbrugh and Cassandra a little too intense – and less convincing than I usually find Elizabeth Taylor’s interactions between her characters. However generally the characterisation is lovely, ...more
Roberta
Elizabeth Taylor (niente a che vedere con l'attrice, ovviamente) è una delle scrittrici più versatili che io conosca: ho letto tre dei suoi romanzi e devo ancora incontrare dei punti in comune.

Sebbene il mio favorito ad oggi rimanga At Mrs Lippincote's (e quello che ho apprezzato meno, il più famoso, Angel) Palladian si è rivelata una lettura davvero entusiasmante.

La trama è piuttosto banale: una giovane donna rimane orfana e accetta un posto come governante presso un vedovo che ha una bambina
Lauren Albert
Apr 29, 2012 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiddlesticks
Sep 18, 2011 Fiddlesticks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed this book but, like I'd been warned, it was highly derivative. And although that is clearly intentional on the part of the author, it irritated me. Perhaps partly because I love Jane Eyre (and various other works!) so much. I also found it quite hard to relate to the characters. They were quite interesting in an objective way, but I didn't feel particularly emotional about the various ups and downs of their lives.

It was a well written book telling a relatively interesting story, but it
Carm9n
Jul 27, 2015 Carm9n rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Feb 14, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The writing is marvelous--beautiful prose with a sharp eye for the unexpectedly revealing detail-- but I was disappointed in Palladian overall. There is a strong element of pastiche--Jane Eyre set in Northgranger Abbey--and the unreality of the pastiche situation conflicted with the realistic descriptions and elements. The secondary characters and setting were clearly drawn, while the principals, Cassandra and Marion, were less realized, as though the background of the picture was sharp and the ...more
Patricia
Aug 26, 2010 Patricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britain
First of all, the blurb on goodreads describes another novel. In this one, Cassandra becomes a governess to Sophy, who was the engaging character in the novel. Sophy is part of a rather dysfunctional family headed by vague and anxious Aunt Tinty. Sophy's father Marion shelters in the library as the home crumbles around him. I hated the climax and wanted to throw the book across the room. However, the novel was a worthwhile for beautiful writing, unusual characters and as a riff on Austen and Bro ...more
kp
Apr 06, 2016 kp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
delicate and ruthless
Suzie Grogan
Jul 31, 2013 Suzie Grogan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite author, and even in this early work her wonderful insight, gentle with and pathos are all there. Cassandra, recently orphaned, goes to the mansion home of Marion Vanburgh to become governess to his daughter. It references, deliberately, Jane Eyre, Northanger Abbey and perhaps even a little of Rebecca but it is still entirely original and it offers surprises, shocks and sadnesses that make it a book that remains with you after the last page has turned.
Imation
Un libro extraño pero con algunos pasajes muy bellos y evocadores. Aunque tiene un tono y ambientación en algunos momentos muy góticos y decadentes, muy ingleses por otro lado, creo que las referencias literarias que se citan en la portada no son acertadas.

Seguramente repetiré con esta autora
Karen
I can see the influence of Austen, Charlotte Bronte and du Maurier, but Taylor puts her own spin on all of it. All her characters, major and minor, are fully fleshed. This combines the expected and unexpected in a unique way. (LuAnn, want to talk over in the Virago group?)
Julie
Mar 02, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very strange little novel about a "Jane Eyre" type character who falls in love with the owner of a crumbling British estate. More interesting are the rest of his family who lives with him and the secrets that have been kept. I like anything Elizabeth Taylor writes.
Bibliomama
Aug 25, 2012 Bibliomama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting little novel, tweaking gothic conventions and governess stories while invoking the spirit of Jane Austen. The depiction of peripheral characters was especially sharp and funny. Need to read more Elizabeth Taylor.
93bcn
Apr 14, 2011 93bcn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's my review of this book.
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
SmokingMirror
SmokingMirror marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
  • One Fine Day
  • Illyrian Spring
  • Symposium: A Novel
  • The Corner That Held Them
  • The Corn King and the Spring Queen (The Hera Series)
  • Miss Mole
  • The Semi-Attached Couple and the Semi-Detached House
  • A Favourite of the Gods
  • Hester
Elizabeth Taylor (née Coles) was a popular English novelist and short story writer. Elizabeth Coles was born in Reading, Berkshire in 1912. She was educated at The Abbey School, Reading, and worked as a governess, as a tutor and as a librarian.

In 1936, she married John William Kendall Taylor , a businessman. She lived in Penn, Buckinghamshire, for almost all her married life.

Her first novel, At Mr
More about Elizabeth Taylor...