Start by marking “Those Darn Squirrels Fly South” as Want to Read:
Those Darn Squirrels Fly South

Those Darn Squirrels Fly South (Those Darn Squirrels)

Even for a grump like Old Man Fookwire, summer is a glorious time. That's when beautiful birds visit his backyard, and he can paint them to his heart's content--unless those darn squirrels get in the way. Too bad the birds fly south once fall arrives. But where exactly do they go, and what do they do once they get there? The squirrels--and Fookwire--are determined to find ...more
Published September 11th 2012 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Those Darn Squirrels Fly South, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Darn Squirrels Fly South

Jim Erekson
Apr 06, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it it was ok
Shelves: comedy, picturebooks
I didn't read the first book in this series, so I was a little surprised by the sudden turn in vocabulary about ten pages in. I thought the illustrations were just going to be kind of minimalist and otherworldly, but then 'floogle birds' and 'farfle seeds'. It just wasn't needed.

There are some funny gags in here (Santa Vaca, 12 miles per hour, etc.). Not much of a plot: The squirrels head south with the birds, they phone the guy, the guy comes, then they all go home. Is that a spoiler? Rubin &a
Barbara
Old Man Fookwire is sad to see the birds head south as fall arrives. After all, he loves watching and painting them as they hang out in his backyard. But the squirrels who seem to always plague him craft various flying machines that enable them to follow the birds in order to find out where they are going and what they are up to. Missing the birds--and, secretly, the squirrels too--Old Man Fookwire follows them and paints the exotic birds and beach-front locale before returning home with the squ ...more
Amy Jewell
A good opening for this book would be to ask the students why they thought squirrels might want to fly south (in the winter). In addition, I would ask the students to think about other animals that fly south for the winter (birds). Lastly I would ask them to share a way the squirrels might "fly" south-they don't have wings!

Opening moves include: raising questions in the readers minds (why would the squirrels fly south), activating background knowledge (what other animals fly south), and also pro
Lynda Shoup
Hilarious book! This is one of those books that is a perfect match between author and illustrator. The story is delightful with unexpected twists and the illustrations bring it to life with hysterical detail. I kept laughing and laughing. Somehow it reminded me of one of my favorite books - Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch. They are not quite the same, but somehow they could sit together on a display.
MaryAnn
Nov 26, 2013 MaryAnn rated it really liked it
You gotta love a grumpy guy named Fookwire who reminded me of an exclamation, Ooogley Moogley! And then there's the squirrels; those pesky but very entertaining yard hoods.

Very fun read. I'd love to read it to a child.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 08, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Wright Brothers had nothing on these crazy, inventive squirrels.
paula
BONUS SILLY BIRD NAMES. Yaaasss!
Holly
Nov 28, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it
This book was the sequel to the awesome book Those Darn Squirrels. In this one, the old man goes south and squirrels begin to miss him. The squirrels then go south to be with the man. Do the squirrels cause the man trouble or do they enjoy themselves? Find out in the book.
Libbi
Dec 10, 2016 Libbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom-books
This was a great read with my second graders. We had already read Those Darn Squirrels and they knew all about the relationship between the squirrels, the birds, and Old Man Fookwire. It was fun to watch how the relationship progressed, in addition to how my students loved it!
Megan Koval
Feb 25, 2015 Megan Koval rated it really liked it
This book is about a man named Old Man Fookwire, who was said to be grumpy. He did enjoy painting birds, but he did not enjoy the company of the squirrels in his town. They always seemed to be bothering. As the birds prepared to migrate for the winter, the squirrels decided that they would go too. Once they got south, the squirrels invited Fookwire to join them in Santa Vaca. He agreed to go, as he missed the birds and the squirrels. Once he got there, he became extremely happy and was no longe ...more
Aylea
Mar 07, 2016 Aylea rated it liked it
This review published at The Children's Book and Media Review run by Brigham Young University.

The squirrels in Old Man Fookwire’s backyard are very smart. They paint themselves, build glyders and zeppelins, and annoy Fookwire. This year when the birds fly south, the squirrels build their own flying machines so that they can find out what the birds do when they go away for the winter. They go to the beach with the birds, eat new kinds of snacks, and enjoy their new surroundings. They even call Ol
Venus
Aug 29, 2015 Venus rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

If you have been following this series you will know that although Old Man Fookwire is annoyed by the rather smart squirrels in his backyard, he loves them too. Therefore, when the squirrels build a plane and follow the birds south, it is no surprise that he begins to feel a bit lonely and sets off after them.

There should really be a rule at the library concerning new book stickers. Books that are on the New Release shelf should be an actual new rel
Jeremey Olson
Nov 26, 2012 Jeremey Olson rated it really liked it
This book is about a grumpy old man named Fookwire. Fookwire lives on the edge of town next to a beautiful forest filled with some strange birds and some squirrels. The old man is grumpy that he hates everything around him. He tries to paint pictures of the forest around him but some how the squirrels find a way to ruin it. when fall comes around all the birds start to fly south for winter. the squirrels got the idea that they would follow the birds and go on a vacation. Not known to everyone sq ...more
Dolly
Jul 10, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read all of the books in the Those Darn Squirrels series by Adam Rubin and Daniel Salmieri. These stories are silly, strange, and quite funny. The illustrations are so absurd, they really add another dimension to the tales.

This story brings us on an adventure as first the squirrels, and then Mr. Fookwire joins the birds for their winter vacation down south. The various aeronautical vehicles the squirrels devise are quite ingenious and the tropical seaside setting looks idyllic. We enjoyed
Catherine
Jan 15, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love Those Darn Squirrels!. Enough that I had to buy my own copy...I mean, for the kids, you know... Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door was okay, but didn't live up to the first. With this one, Rubin got his mojo back.

The combination of complete randomness, elevated vocabulary, silliness, & distinct illustrations combine to make a book that the boys & I loved. As soon as I read the last, "Thooooooose daaaaaaaarn squirrrrrrrrrels!" they immediately asked for me to r
Magila
Jan 23, 2013 Magila rated it really liked it
3.5

Another fun book in this series about an old man, tropical birds, and squirrels. Of course, the squirrels have stopped being Fookwire's adversaries and are instead a comedic nuisance.

This time the story centers around the squirrels determined to figure out where the birds go when the weather changes. The best part of these books is their wittiness, and the squirrels' creativity. Sadly, the squirrels did not consider what consequences their actions would have on their old adversary Fookwire.
Paula
Jun 17, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Those darn squirrels are back in this third title. They create bizarre flying machines and follow the birds south for the winter. Old Man Fookwire misses his bird friends and, much to his surprise, realizes he misses the squirrels as well. And the squirrels miss him. They phone him and he drives down and joins the birds and squirrels for fun on the beach. After a week of painting, sunburn, and heat exhaustion triage, Fookwire and the squirrels pack up and head home. The clever vocabulary and rio ...more
Traci Bold
Oct 29, 2015 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Old Man Fookwire and the squirrels are at it again. Just as the air turns crisper and cooler, Old Man Fookwire settles in to the idea of being alone again without his favorite birds to paint until he sees the squirrels flying south too.

Now the squirrels are really enjoying their new digs but the birds remind them of who they left behind so they call Old Man Fookwire up and believe it or not, he drives down to see them.

The rest of the story is too good to share so I will let you read it yourself
Rebecca
This one makes me hesitate. I like it for myself. I like it for the funny made-up words and the fact that it's about squirrels--it's a big family joke about me and squirrels because I can't stand the furry little rodents, hence I get many things squirrel. The artwork is stylized and I can't decide whether I like it or not. But will children like the book? I'd like to try it out with a first-grade class. It might be over the heads of preschoolers but maybe not. I shelved it with second graders be ...more
Elaine
Jan 21, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Those Darn Squirrels Fly South by Adam Rubin was an entertaining story featuring vibrant birds, characteristic squirrels, & one not so characteristic grumpy old man. The adventure begins when someone had to leave their comfort zone. The illustrations and story sentences flowed very well together and the birds were of great interest towards the young audiences during our preschool storytime. I get a good laugh everytime I run into this book at the library and would definitely read this book a ...more
Msjennifers Corner
Nov 07, 2013 Msjennifers Corner rated it really liked it
The squirrels are at it again. Curious to see just where the birds go in the winter they build flying machines and tag along. Mr. Fookwire becomes rather lonely back home and sets off in his 1957 car that he has driven twice. When he finally arrives (driving 12 miles an hour will take you quite a while) he paints until he seems to pass out from sun stroke or something. Not really funny, but funny. Fookwire and the squirrels set off for home and cooler climates getting back much quicker because t ...more
Ina
Jan 23, 2014 Ina rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
In this sequel to Those Darn Squirrels! It is fall and Old Man Fookwire's birds are all getting ready to fly south…leaving him alone. At least he would have his squirrel friends, this time around, for company. The squirrels have other plans, though, and everyone ends up on a beach somewhere south of the border. Same great illustrations guaranteed to bring smiles to a story time audience. Great fun.
Bruce
Sep 28, 2013 Bruce rated it liked it
When it’s time for the birds to fly south for the winter, the neighborhood squirrels decide to accompany them. Then, after a grand time basking in the sun, they call grumpy old Mr. Fookwire back home as a prank, and he decides to follow them—all the way to the beach in Mexico.

Yet another delightfully silly squirrel story from Rubin and Salamieri, following Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door.
Debra
Apr 22, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, fiction
Those darn squirrels are determined to find out where the birds go when they fly south and this year they are going to accompany them. With amazing engineering skills, they set off with the birds and end up enjoying the warmth and fun of a tropical vacation. The old man feels very left behind. The birds have gone south and he even starts missing the squirrels so he heads south to find them. A delightful story of how even our enemies can turn out to be friends.
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
Adam Rubin never fails to make me chuckle, and Those Darn Squirrels! are no exception. In this adventure those wacky animals are flying south for winter along with their bird friends, much to the chagrin of their neighbor. Who knew that squirrels were such masters of engineering?! Certainly not me! Full of light humor and silliness that I've come to expect from Rubin, I definitely want to see more of these squirrels.
dinah sered
Jun 26, 2016 dinah sered rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids and I loved it!

What can I say??? I'm a mom of three kids and I enjoyed reading it (with accented voices, of course) as much as they love hearing it. It's great to have the books on kindle since they don't sell the books hear in Israel. The kids said although the squirrels built something in this book, they didn't do it while munching on snacks. They also suggest that there be a fourth book called, "Those Darn Squirrels Retire". Think about it. ;)
Dinah Sered
Roberta
Jul 12, 2014 Roberta rated it it was amazing
Great googley-moogley! Those darn squirrels are at it again, pestering poor old grumpy Mr Fookwire.

Once again, though, the squirrels demonstrate their amazing scientific abilities, have an adventure, and persuade Mr Fookwire to take the trip of a lifetime.

This book demands to be read aloud. The light hearted story and illustrations ensure that a good time will be had by all.
Lindsey
Mr. Fookwire's squirrels build flying contraptions and follow the birds south for the winter. This depresses Mr. Fookwire even more, but the squirrels haven't forgotten him. They call him from the beach and invite him down!

Great illustrations! The squirrels, the birds, and Mr. Fookwire look fantastic in a very funny way!
Marguarite Markley
Apr 03, 2013 Marguarite Markley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As a fan of the previous two books, I can say this one delivered. Everything I expected to happen happened. I like that Old Man Fookwire is learning and becoming a tad more "soft" in this book. It shows that the character is developing. I also like that there was no major conflict in this offering. The author changed it up a bit keeping it fresh and new. I look forward to more squirrel books!
Kathy
Sep 26, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
I like this one much better than the first book, Those Darn Squirrels!, which I thought was a bit too wordy. My third graders enjoyed this and chuckled in the right places. Who knew that squirrels had a comprehensive understanding of aerodynamic engineering principles?
  • Otter and Odder: A Love Story
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
  • Abe Lincoln's Dream
  • Charley's First Night
Adam Rubin is the New York Times best-selling author of a half dozen critically-acclaimed picture books including Those Darn Squirrels and Dragons Love Tacos. He spent ten years working as a creative director in the advertising industry before leaving his day job to write full time. Adam has a keen interest in improv comedy, camping and magic tricks. He lives in New York City.
More about Adam Rubin...

Those Darn Squirrels (3 books)
  • Those Darn Squirrels!