The Christmas Quiet Book

The Christmas Quiet Book

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Published October 16th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Quiet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Quiet Book

Lisa Vegan
Even though I thoroughly enjoyed The Quiet Book and The Loud Book!, and I’d had this one recommended to me by at least one Goodreads’ friend, I wasn’t planning to read it any time soon, but when I was at the library yesterday, there is was sitting on one of the featured shelves, and so I grabbed it and checked it out.

Maybe it’s partly because I’m generally not a fan of Christmas themed books (though I have loved many) but this one wasn’t quite as magical for me as the other two books. I did like...more
Kathryn
Very cute and definitely recommended to all fans of The Quiet Book (though they need not be read in order)! Here we find the "Quiet" critters engaged in holiday activities. I really loved many of the types of quiet. Some of the pairings in the book are humorous: "Lights on quiet" on one page, "Blown fuse quiet" on the next. Some are just so sweet and adorable ("knocking with mittens quiet" when visiting friends). A few I wasn't quite so fond of (the "Nutcracker quiet" with half the audience asle...more
Dolly
Dec 18, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, christmas
We read The Quiet Book about two years ago, and to be honest, I couldn't really remember much about the book, but I knew we liked it. So when I saw this book, I figured it would be a good holiday-themed read.

This book is much the same as the first book; it isn't so much of a story as a listing of ways that someone can be or experience quiet, but with a wintry theme. It's a fascinating look at the world of a child and all the different meanings of this word. It's a great way to start a discussion...more
Tamara
Five-stars to a Christmas book? I must be losing my Grinchiness. I blame the bunnies. The bunnies make me melt.

Favorite Quiets

Breathing clouds quiet.
Snow angel quiet.
Katie Krimmel
This is a peaceful, sweet and adorable book about all the quiet moments that lead up to Christmas morning. Such moments would be for example, waiting to hear reindeer feet on the roof top quiet or opening presents quiet. Not all the moments are good quiet moments, some like the quiet after a shattered Christmas tree ornament. Each scene depicting these moments are of sweet adorable woodland creatures.

The simple but beautiful written words for The Christmas Quiet Book were by Deborah Underwood....more
babyhippoface
How many kinds of quiet are there? If you ask most people, the answer off the top of their heads would probably be, "uh...one." But Deborah Underwood once again proves to us that there is, indeed, more than one kind of quiet, and those depicted here are all related to the Christmas season.

"Searching for presents quiet" is definitely different from "knocking with mittens quiet". Anyone who has ever accidentally broken a Christmas tree ornament knows just what "shattered ornament quiet" feels lik...more
Samantha
My favorite of the quiet books so far, though I was a little confused by the spread that reads: " Too tall tree quiet, Shattered ornament quiet." I couldn't relate to these like I could the other examples.

Overall, peaceful and a great Christmas read aloud, especially at bedtime. Illustrations are pencil drawings colored digitally in a muted color palette.
Beth
I didn't think it was possible for me to love quiet any more than I already do but Deborah Underwood manages to do just that. And then there's Renata Liwska whose heart-warming illustrations manage to make me want to cuddle with a porcupine and an iguana at the same time. For lovers of The Quiet Book, this is a must-read!
Evan
Beautiful.
Tears brimming in my eyes quiet.
Arminzerella
Tasha
The duo who created The Quiet Book and The Loud Book have returned with a holiday version. This simple picture book follows the same format as the earlier books, celebrating the small moments of the day that are quiet. Here they are all Christmas themed with quiet moments like “Star on top quiet” and “Luminaria quiet” and “Listening for sleigh bells quiet.”

As always, Liwska’s illustrations add a softness and warmth to the book that entirely suits the theme. Her rabbits, owls and bears are all h...more
Diane

In The Christmas Quiet Book, readers will enjoy pages and pages of quiet moments leading up to the Christmas holiday. Adorable animals like bear cubs and bunnies are shown trimming the tree, enjoying the twinkling lights, watching The Nutcracker, making gingerbread houses taking quiet walks and even taking part in a Christmas play.
Each scene is briefly described with just a few words to describe the "quiet" activity.The simple text describes each type of quiet in only a few words, but honestly...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Christmas is a joyful time filled with love and laughter, but there are quiet moments, too. When the tree lights up for the first time, there's a hush in the room. Explore other quiet moment in this lovely tribute to the Christmas season.

What I thought: I'm a big fan of Underwood and Liwska's other collaborations The Quiet Book and The Loud Book. The Christmas Quiet Book is great. It reminds us that in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the season, there are quiet, peaceful times as well. Li...more
Angie

Synopsis: "The holidays are filled with joyful noise. But Christmas is sometimes wrapped in quiet: “Searching for presents quiet,” “Getting caught quiet,” and “Hoping for a snow day quiet.” Irresistibly cute, soft colored pencil illustrations of bunnies, bears, and more paint a magical holiday picture indeed."

My Review: Another adorable Christmas book for the little ones! I love the little woodland animals and their holiday preparations. I enjoyed the little touches of humor throughout the book,...more
Sherry
A magical Christmas picture book, the second book by Deborah Underwood that looks at the various ways we understand "quiet". It's about the underlying emotion behind the situation that this quiet brings. "The Christmas Quiet Book" sets the stage with "Mysterious bundles quiet", "searching for presents quiet" and "getting caught quiet". Other gems are "Listening for sleigh bells quiet" and "Trying to stay awake quiet". Charmingly illustrated in the style of the original "The Quiet Book", this is...more
Donna Koppelman
I am a super-nerd in my love of children's literature. I particularly love picture books, and I have been known, on more than a few occasions, to share a picture book at a dinner party. THE QUIET BOOK, which came before THE CHRISTMAS QUIET BOOK, was a book I shared on many occasions. I am thrilled to have THE CHRISTMAS QUIET BOOK for our family Christmas gathering and other magical holiday events that are never complete without the reading of a magical children's book. Pick one up, and share wit...more
Beka
Another cute book about the different types of quiet associate with Christmas.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Being quiet goes beyond "Shhhh!" Quiet has different meanings and Underwood explores the quiet of Christmastime. Simply amazing to read about the quiet moments that "just happen" during the holidays. When those quiet moments are put to paper, the reader is brought back to their own memories of those special times. The quiet book isn't meant to bring demands of "Shhhh!" or "Be quiet!" These books are meant to be peaceful and reflective. This would be perfect to read by firelight or tree-light.

Re...more
Lizzie
Poetic and peaceful text that makes a great bed time story during the holidays. A few advanced vocabulary (ie: luminaries) and bits of humor. I read this a the end of first grade class Storytime and it worked well. They were pretty off the wall excited about presents and food and all that. I think it is also calming for adults because so much about Christmas feel like an adrenaline rush and this book can slow it down reminds of the wonder and reverence of the season.
Janet
The book opens with: Christmas is a quiet time: and the creators go on to portray many of the quiet moments of Christmas, some very familiar, some not so familiar. A peaceful opportunity to quiet down during a busy season.
Reread this title, December 20, 2013 and enjoyed it more now than before, especially the illustrations with the folk/country color tones.
And on page 3 this time I spied two Danish hearts hanging on the wall in the illustratio. Lovely.
Kristin Aker Howell
This charming book gets Christmas right. This holiday can bring mixed emotions, but ultimately it all comes down to love, and the pages are certainly full of that. Ages three through six can find something new each time they read this book. Find a free story sheet to tuck into your copy on those long airplane rides at my website http:/kristinakerhowell.com .
Michelle Nero
Love this book! There are so many sweet, quiet moments during the Christmas season. Moments to treasure. The illustrations are soft and precious.

"Searching for presents quiet. Getting caught quiet."

There are plenty of loud moments during Christmas too. I hope Deborah writes "The Christmas Loud book" - another great companion!
Pam
Quiet is a word that we rarely relate to the Christmas season so this holiday book by Deborah Underwood and illustrated by Renata Liwska maybe just thing to read to preschool children at bedtime. The illustrations by Renata Liwska are soft, cute and quiet just like the title.
Leona
just as charming as the quiet book. probably more enjoyable to adults but sharing it with a little one will be just as great for them since all your appreciation will pour out as you read the pages. beautiful text, beautiful illustrations. couldn't be better.
Lyndsi
I really enjoyed this book. It would have gone great with a mug of hot cocoa and a fire and a nice, cozy blanket. Captured the Christmas spirit without use of Santa or things like that. Made me feel all fuzzy and happy, this would be perfect to read on a winter night!
Pat Miller
This is a picture book with beautiful language and beautiful illustrations. And a reminder that some of the most magical holiday moments are quiet ones. My family's full review of this book is at: http://patzietlowmiller.com/2012/12/2...
Margie
Companion to The Quiet Book and The Loud Book by Deborah Underwood with illustrations by Renata Liwska, The Christmas Quiet Book is snuggling in a blanket next to your sleeping dog quiet. It is pure bliss.

My full review:
Michelle
This book inspired my own Christmas quiet. My oldest teenager, the one who used to fit in my lap, snuggled next to me as we read and laughed our way through Underwood's book. My favorite memory of Christmas break 2012.
Amy
Very sweet book that with each page reminds you of the immense beauty of the Christmas season. Probably not a good candidate for a large group read aloud, but certainly a great pick for a family Christmas read.
Kristy Powers
Gorgeously illustrated and very funny. Also a good book for a child to try to discern the emotions of a person by reading the expression on the face. The funny moments come from studying the illustrations.
  • Pete the Cat Saves Christmas
  • Oh No, George!
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • I'm Bored
  • The Reader
The Quiet Book The Loud Book! Here Comes the Easter Cat A Balloon for Isabel Bad Bye, Good Bye