Start by marking “The Christmas Quiet Book” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Quiet Book

The Christmas Quiet Book

Published October 16th 2012 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Quiet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Quiet Book

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsThe Mitten by Jan BrettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Winter Children's Books
76th out of 175 books — 51 voters
The Tea Party in the Woods by Akiko MiyakoshiOwl Moon by Jane YolenMiss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsFox's Garden by Princesse Camcam
Quiet Picture Books
14th out of 27 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Even though I thoroughly enjoyed The Quiet Book and The Loud Book!, and I’d had this one recommended to me by at least one Goodreads’ friend, I wasn’t planning to read it any time soon, but when I was at the library yesterday, there is was sitting on one of the featured shelves, and so I grabbed it and checked it out.

Maybe it’s partly because I’m generally not a fan of Christmas themed books (though I have loved many) but this one wasn’t quite as magical for me as the other two books. I did like
Nov 26, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Very cute and definitely recommended to all fans of The Quiet Book (though they need not be read in order)! Here we find the "Quiet" critters engaged in holiday activities. I really loved many of the types of quiet. Some of the pairings in the book are humorous: "Lights on quiet" on one page, "Blown fuse quiet" on the next. Some are just so sweet and adorable ("knocking with mittens quiet" when visiting friends). A few I wasn't quite so fond of (the "Nutcracker quiet" with half the audience asle ...more
Nov 16, 2012 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
How many kinds of quiet are there? If you ask most people, the answer off the top of their heads would probably be, "" But Deborah Underwood once again proves to us that there is, indeed, more than one kind of quiet, and those depicted here are all related to the Christmas season.

"Searching for presents quiet" is definitely different from "knocking with mittens quiet". Anyone who has ever accidentally broken a Christmas tree ornament knows just what "shattered ornament quiet" feels lik
Dec 18, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2012
We read The Quiet Book about two years ago, and to be honest, I couldn't really remember much about the book, but I knew we liked it. So when I saw this book, I figured it would be a good holiday-themed read.

This book is much the same as the first book; it isn't so much of a story as a listing of ways that someone can be or experience quiet, but with a wintry theme. It's a fascinating look at the world of a child and all the different meanings of this word. It's a great way to start a discussion
Jan 06, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing
Five-stars to a Christmas book? I must be losing my Grinchiness. I blame the bunnies. The bunnies make me melt.

Favorite Quiets

Breathing clouds quiet.
Snow angel quiet.
Katie Krimmel
Oct 24, 2012 Katie Krimmel rated it really liked it
This is a peaceful, sweet and adorable book about all the quiet moments that lead up to Christmas morning. Such moments would be for example, waiting to hear reindeer feet on the roof top quiet or opening presents quiet. Not all the moments are good quiet moments, some like the quiet after a shattered Christmas tree ornament. Each scene depicting these moments are of sweet adorable woodland creatures.

The simple but beautiful written words for The Christmas Quiet Book were by Deborah Underwood.
Katie Farmer
Dec 14, 2015 Katie Farmer rated it liked it
really cute and I so enjoyed the illustrations.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
When the original Quiet Book and Loud Book appeared at the library, I was a bit skeptical. It seemed like a rather odd topic for little ones to read and enjoy, but I was amazed at how Underwood pinpointed the moments of life. When The Christmas Quiet Book appeared a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to read that book right away.

I have savored The Christmas Quiet Book and shared it with others. I've also noticed the popularity of Underwood's stories. It is now available as an audiobook and on DV
Nov 16, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
My favorite of the quiet books so far, though I was a little confused by the spread that reads: " Too tall tree quiet, Shattered ornament quiet." I couldn't relate to these like I could the other examples.

Overall, peaceful and a great Christmas read aloud, especially at bedtime. Illustrations are pencil drawings colored digitally in a muted color palette.
Oct 31, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
I didn't think it was possible for me to love quiet any more than I already do but Deborah Underwood manages to do just that. And then there's Renata Liwska whose heart-warming illustrations manage to make me want to cuddle with a porcupine and an iguana at the same time. For lovers of The Quiet Book, this is a must-read!
Nov 30, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Deborah Underwood's Loud and Quiet books are going to be a great series! I hope she does more.

I am on the quest for picture books for introverted/highly sensitive children and adults. I think this book is perfect for that group, and also to help more extroverted people understand how they think. The collection of quiet moments that happen at Christmas are just as fun as the 'loud' moments, which can show a child that being quiet is not a bad thing! The illustrations are gorgeous - pencil drawn
Jan 23, 2013 Evan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Tears brimming in my eyes quiet.
Carol Holden
Oct 13, 2016 Carol Holden rated it it was amazing
What a splendid, sweet "quiet" calming coloring book. I got the book thinking this would be a coloring book but it isn't just a coloring book. This is a coloring book with a heart. It has Scripture and sweet Christmas stories that corresponds with the Scripture. Then there are stories that just tell you about Christmas. The designs are beautifully designed and so original. I was delightfully calmed by coloring and enjoyed every single moment of it. I received a copy of this book in exchange for ...more
Dec 20, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The duo who created The Quiet Book and The Loud Book have returned with a holiday version. This simple picture book follows the same format as the earlier books, celebrating the small moments of the day that are quiet. Here they are all Christmas themed with quiet moments like “Star on top quiet” and “Luminaria quiet” and “Listening for sleigh bells quiet.”

As always, Liwska’s illustrations add a softness and warmth to the book that entirely suits the theme. Her rabbits, owls and bears are all h
Marg Corjay
Nov 19, 2015 Marg Corjay rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this book! The text is peaceful and gentling, perfect for a respite from the hectic holiday havoc. The illustrations are just exquisite, sensitive, and detailed, I kept going back to look at them time and again. My favorite was the bundled up little dragon! I strongly recommend this as a group read for the winter season. Another heartwarming entry from the duo of Underwood and Liwska.
Nov 28, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it

In The Christmas Quiet Book, readers will enjoy pages and pages of quiet moments leading up to the Christmas holiday. Adorable animals like bear cubs and bunnies are shown trimming the tree, enjoying the twinkling lights, watching The Nutcracker, making gingerbread houses taking quiet walks and even taking part in a Christmas play.
Each scene is briefly described with just a few words to describe the "quiet" activity.The simple text describes each type of quiet in only a few words, but honestly
Jill Pickle
Nov 06, 2014 Jill Pickle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
You are brought along on every Christmas joy--along with some of the anxiety, anticipation, and excitement--with this seemingly simple repetition. Each page appears to stand on its own, but look closely and you'll be able to discern backstory and visual narrative from the fuzzy, soft, expressive illustrations that accompany. My new Christmas favorite.
Love this book. I loved The Quiet Book and was quite excited when I found this one. It did not disappoint. It contains the same mix of humor and warmth that the earlier book did. I'll be hanging on to this one long after my granddaughter has outgrown it - waiting for the day she comes back to it.
April Thompson
Sep 06, 2014 April Thompson rated it really liked it
Lights on quiet. That by far has always been one of my favorite Christmas quiet times. To this day, I look forward to driving to my grandmother's house for the holidays to sit with her in the living room and watch the Christmas lights. It's the simple things in life that bring so much joy to my life.
Bridget R. Wilson
Christmas is a joyful time filled with love and laughter, but there are quiet moments, too. When the tree lights up for the first time, there's a hush in the room. Explore other quiet moment in this lovely tribute to the Christmas season.

What I thought: I'm a big fan of Underwood and Liwska's other collaborations The Quiet Book and The Loud Book. The Christmas Quiet Book is great. It reminds us that in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the season, there are quiet, peaceful times as well. Li
Nov 29, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s

Synopsis: "The holidays are filled with joyful noise. But Christmas is sometimes wrapped in quiet: “Searching for presents quiet,” “Getting caught quiet,” and “Hoping for a snow day quiet.” Irresistibly cute, soft colored pencil illustrations of bunnies, bears, and more paint a magical holiday picture indeed."

My Review: Another adorable Christmas book for the little ones! I love the little woodland animals and their holiday preparations. I enjoyed the little touches of humor throughout the book,
Jan 04, 2016 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
I really liked the sweet, very simple text. The illustrations are really cute and very warm and appealing. I did not hear any feedback on this book from my 2 year old nephew - I think he preferred Little Blue Truck's Christmas - but I enjoyed it.
Iamaby En
Even though the text is simple, the concepts might be too abstract for really little kids. If used in storytime, there should be lots of interaction with the kids so that they think about what they're hearing.
Feb 09, 2014 Sherry rated it it was amazing
A magical Christmas picture book, the second book by Deborah Underwood that looks at the various ways we understand "quiet". It's about the underlying emotion behind the situation that this quiet brings. "The Christmas Quiet Book" sets the stage with "Mysterious bundles quiet", "searching for presents quiet" and "getting caught quiet". Other gems are "Listening for sleigh bells quiet" and "Trying to stay awake quiet". Charmingly illustrated in the style of the original "The Quiet Book", this is ...more
Gary Anderson
Dec 20, 2014 Gary Anderson rated it it was amazing
The hustle and bustle of Christmas preparation and anticipation is also a time for quiet if we just take the time to notice, experience, and enjoy it. Then back to the whoop-whoop!
Juliana Lee
The reader get a glimpse of quiet moments as the animals prepare for Christmas. There’s the quiet of searching for presents and getting caught. There’s the quiet of forgetting a line in the Christmas play and the helpful whisper. There’s the quiet of listening for sleigh bells and trying to stay awake. And so many more moments of quiet.
Donna Koppelman
Dec 11, 2012 Donna Koppelman rated it it was amazing
I am a super-nerd in my love of children's literature. I particularly love picture books, and I have been known, on more than a few occasions, to share a picture book at a dinner party. THE QUIET BOOK, which came before THE CHRISTMAS QUIET BOOK, was a book I shared on many occasions. I am thrilled to have THE CHRISTMAS QUIET BOOK for our family Christmas gathering and other magical holiday events that are never complete without the reading of a magical children's book. Pick one up, and share wit ...more
Aug 20, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
These quiet and loud books are brilliant. This one is just as wonderful as the original "Quiet" book, only with a Christmas flavor -- Perfect!
Dec 03, 2015 Nessie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
From the author of 'The Quiet book' and 'The Loud Book'. A very sweet and cozy read with beautiful pictures to look at together.
  • Little Santa