Start by marking “And on the Surface Die: A Holly Martin Mystery” as Want to Read:
And on the Surface Die: A Holly Martin Mystery

And on the Surface Die: A Holly Martin Mystery (Holly Martin #1)

In this new series by the acclaimed author of the Belle Palmer mysteries, RCMP Corporal Holly Martin takes charge of her first post, a detachment in tiny Fossil Bay on the wild south coast of Vancouver Island. Drunk drivers, speeders and the occasional theft from tourist cars lead the crime roster, but her first day starts with a distress call. A scuba diver has found the ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Napoleon and Co

To ask other readers questions about And on the Surface Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And on the Surface Die

Martha Cheves
Sep 21, 2009 Martha Cheves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And on the Surface Die - Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

'"Don't discount petty-ante crime," Ben Rodgers, her mentor in The Pas, had told her. "Sometimes they're part of a bigger picture, and it usually involves drugs. Why steal a CD player you can sell for only a twenty unless you need another fix?" But Ben had made his own fatal error. Their last month together, checking out a stolen car seen at a trailer park, he hadn't expected the twelve-year-old deaf boy to be hold
Reggie Billingsworth
Initially, this one was closer to the 'it was ok' rating for me actually but, why be mean? A compelling and at times slightly over-involved read. Writing is sound and characters have realistic structure and background to them.

RCMP Corporal Holly Martin really does come across as pretty naive and incredibly lacking in thoroughness and organisation. Her training is therefore suspect as may be the case with RCMP issues in real life. Even so, during the first third of this book, my disbelief grew. I
Sheila
Nov 03, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly is a new RCMP Corporal at a small community on the east side of Vancouver Island. Ann, a RCMP officer confined to desk work because of an accident restricting her physical abilities had believed the Corporal position was hers until fate played a different hand. Chipper, a Sikh RCMP is the only other member at the small detachment. A young high school girl is found drowned and at first, the death seems an unfortunate accident but as the facts unfold, Holly determines the death is looking mo ...more
Cidney Walter
Feb 08, 2014 Cidney Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed And on the Surface Die by Lou Allin. This book has a new heroine, Holly Martin, whom I'm enjoying getting to know. I also am fascinated by the new location of this Holly Martin series...near Sooke, British Columbia, on Vancouver Island. Lou Allin's descriptive writing style and effective character development, as well as compelling plots, continue to entertain. Now I'm on to my next Holly Martin mystery, She Felt No Pain.
Elizabeth
RCMP Corporal Holly Martin has just been transferred to her new post at Fossil Bay on Vancouver Island. This area is known as the Canadian Carribean because of the clement weather. Holly is inexperienced and naive and so when a drowning happens on her patch she is smart enough to realize that it is suspicious but slow to follow up on clues, suspects and even regular police procedure. Hopefully she will wise up on her next case.
Jan
Mar 22, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It bothered me that I had to look up a lot of the words/phrases (I know the author is an English prof, but please...) but I couldn't put it down. It's a great book, especially for the first in a new series - it introduced and fleshed out the characters well and I'm definitely looking forward tot he next one!
Penny
Sep 19, 2015 Penny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had such high hopes for this first of a series set on Vancouver Island, but alas it was not meant to be. It was sort of a travel log novel, but really missed the mark even though I enjoyed reading about the south part of the island. Too, too much detail and the characters were just too predictable. I stopped half way through and moved on with my life.
Debbie
Aug 13, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoying this author. enjoy the biology and botany facts which makes it a bit more interesting than a simple murder mystrey.
mainly picked it up because it is a canadian author writing about vancouver island. its always easier to imagine a setting if you have references.
Luce Cronin
Feb 28, 2016 Luce Cronin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! Lou Allin just keeps getting better with every one of her books. Great suspense!
Marnie
Marnie rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Christine Hart
Christine Hart rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2009
Kimber Brosseau
Kimber Brosseau rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Christine Campbell
Christine Campbell rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2012
Amber Harvey
Amber Harvey rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Sally Bennett
Sally Bennett rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2011
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2012
Jen Morrison
Jen Morrison rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Mike Steinberg
Mike Steinberg rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Bevin
Bevin rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2012
lori
lori rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2008
KSue
KSue rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Lou sings two anthems, born in Toronto, Canada, but raised in Ohio. Her father followed the film business to Cleveland in 1948. His profession explains her passion for classic films and debt to Ted Turner.
More about Lou Allin...

Holly Martin (3 books)
  • She Felt No Pain (Holly Martin, #2)
  • Twilight Is Not Good for Maidens (Holly Martin, #3)