Start by marking “Confessions of a Blabbermouth” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Blabbermouth

Confessions of a Blabbermouth

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  469 ratings  ·  66 reviews
After her mom brings home an annoying boyfriend, Tashas dysfunctional family is headed for a complete mental meltdown. But Tashas blog is her ultimate weapon--and shes not afraid to use it. Mike Carey ("LUCIFER, Hellblazer") teams with his teenage daughter Louise for this tale of teen angst.
Published September 12th 2007 by Minx (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Blabbermouth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Blabbermouth

Friends With Boys by Faith Erin HicksAnya's Ghost by Vera BrosgolAmerican Born Chinese by Gene Luen YangRapunzel's Revenge by Shannon HalePersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Amazing Comic Books For Young Adults
27th out of 40 books — 10 voters
l8r, g8r by Lauren Myraclettyl by Lauren Myraclettfn by Lauren MyracleWant to Go Private? by Sarah Darer LittmanThe Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
YA Internet Novels
107th out of 145 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Chibineko
I'll admit that most of my love for this comic directly correlates with how wonderful the artwork is. It's absolutely adorable and really suits the characters. The story? Well, it's cute but I'll admit that occasionally I raised an eyebrow or two.

The basic theme here is friendship, which I'll admit I liked. I truly did like the interactions between Chloe and Tash. They work well together and I really rooted for them to be able to end the book as friends or even sisters. What I didn't like was h
Anna
Despite the dodgy title and the even dodgier front cover (a laptop is featured with emoticons coming out of the screen in speech bubbles...urgh) underneath the painfully trying-to-be-cool-and-becomes-desperately-uncool exterior is a fantastic book. And I never thought I would say that this little comic is fantastic. But it really is. The dialogue is incredibly fast-paced and teeming with clever word play and gutsy gusto that I just wasn't expecting. The story is engaging and, personally, I loved ...more
C.W.
*spoiler alert*

Within the text of this book, the reader discovers that a column being written for a newspaper by a girl in her mid-teens was actually being dictated to her by her father and the column ends up getting axed because coming from a guy in his mid-40's, the content was no good.

I find this ironic because this story was penned by a father/daughter team and without knowing who wrote what, it leaves me somewhat perplexed. Coming from a guy who I'm guessing is in his mid-40's, this book wo
Unorthodox Mama
I wasn't sure about this when I ordered it, but knowing one of the authors worked on Invader Zim and wrote Serenity Rose, both of which I loved I knew I had to give it a shot.

So glad I did. Confessions of a blabbermouth was amazing. I really loved the book.

The artwork through out the book is black and white, though the cover is colour.
The story that confessions of a blabbermouth tells, is told better in black and white (and grey) the empathises being the story behind the art. Which really is jus
Brittany
Tasha's mom does not have the best taste in men. Not only does Tasha know this, but all of her blog followers do to. There's also this tough girl at school who wants to kill Tash know that she has been picked for yearbook. And her mom's new beau has a daughter who's a little weird. Tasha's just trying to not be beaten up at school and live a normal life but when she overhears a moment between her mom's boyfriend and his daughter. Tasha knows she has to find out more and help Tasha if she can.

Tas
Cara Marie
This is the first Minx title I have so unreservedly enjoyed ( Good As Lily has suspension of disbelief issues). It's not because Tasha is such a charming character - I don't know that she's always especially likeable, but she's a good character for the purposes of the story. She takes things the wrong way, she's mouthy, she behaves cowardly - but she's also willing to fix things.

Tasha's the Blabbermouth of the title, and her Mum's bringing home a new boyfriend. Of course, Tasha takes an instant
Sanjana
'Confessions of a Blabbermouth' is a 153 page graphic novel by Mike and Louise Carey with the illustrations of Aaron Alexovich. Tasha is known as the 'blabbermouth' of her school. Through her blog, 'Confessions of a Blabbermouth,' Tasha forms an opinion on everything that goes on around her. When her mom brings home her new boyfriend, Tasha is forced to interact with his daughter. Unfortunately, her new 'step sister' poses as a threat to her writing dreams when she challenges Tasha for being the ...more
alana
This Minx comic just didn't do it for me. Lots of whinging and tirades and thuggish bullies and manipulative relationships. I dunno. Plus the blogging and internet cafe thing already seem so dated. It's interesting given the plot that a father/daughter duo penned this one. Not horrid, just not as moving as some other Minx titles.
Dave
A fairly by-the-numbers teen story of the "I hate my parent's new love interest" ilk. I picked it up mainly becase of Mike Carey's name. His series, "Lucifer" is legendary and I love his new series "Unwritten". Plus I was interested to see what would come out of the father/daughter writing dynamic.
Unfortunately the characters are rather poorly drawn. The adults in "Confessions..." are abysmal stereotypes. I kept waiting for the moment they would be represented as people and it never came.
The
Sinai C.
One star for the drawings. They were unique, just highly annoying at times. VERY unique though, definitely memorable and in tune with the character and emotions felt.
The other two stars go for plot and characters. I thought it was just...anti-climactic. I didn't understand what the big deal was with the man writing his daughter's columns. I thought something MUCH worse was going on, but that just didn't seem like such a problem for me, that couldn't be overcome. I felt like the ending...was jus
Tuck
nice minx imprint (sadly gone now :() the blabbermouth in this instance starts ugly rumors about her mom's new boyfriend's daughter who starts going to the same school at her. but then, all the bullies start beating up said daughter and blabbermouth feels really bad and realizes empathy and solidarity are better than lying and trying to re-direct the 'heat' away from yourself. a good lesson, and great illustrations/dialog. and this is from about 2006-07 so lots of the technology and jargon is ki ...more
Marianne
this would have been 4 stars except for the bit that set off a (huge honking obvious) trigger for me and then turned out to be just a false alarm way to amp the suspense of the story :(.
Robin
Dec 18, 2007 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like offbeat graphic novels
This week I read the newest book from the Minx lines of graphic novels published by DC Comics. The story is written by the father and daughter writing team of Mike and Louise Carey. Carey already contributed a title to the Minx imprint when "Re-Gifters" was published earlier this year. I liked that one and I was not disappointed with this one either.

Tasha is a blogger who doesn't like her mom's new boyfriend. And when she meets his daughter, she decides that she really doesn't like him! But she
Charlie
Tash is pushed over the edge when her mother starts dating Jed Hazell and she meets his daughter, Chloe. Chloe transfers to Tash's school and Tash tries to be welcoming at first to Chloe without much success. Unfortunately for Tash, Chloe joins the yearbook club and this is too much for Tash to handle. Armed with her blog, Blabbermouth, Tash can unleash a war of words toward anyone who annoys her.
I enjoyed reading this book. The dialogue is funny and realistic. You can relate to Tash's and Chlo
Lisa Collins (Lisa Likes Books)
I didn’t hate Confessions of a Blabbermouth… I didn’t. But I can’t say I really liked it either. I feel like I was rolling my eyes for a lot of the book. What it really comes down to is the main character. I didn’t like her. She was annoying and rude from the very beginning. And she was supposed to be quirky, but… It seemed like the writers were trying way too hard to make her an “independent” and “angsty teenager”. (Though I don’t know why that’s in quotes. They didn’t say that. You get what I ...more
Raina
Minx title.
Follows teen as she negotiates her mother's new boyfriend and editing the school yearbook - with the help of her trusty blog. Kind of a cool illustration style (though a little busy for my taste). Engaging-enough plot.
... I think my problem with it was that I didn't find the characters likeable, which is an unusual complaint for me to make. The most appealing character to me was Tasha's boyfriend, Ben. And he's minor. Didn't grab me, but didn't bug me.
If I'm gonna booktalk a Minx, I'l
Debbie
When Tasha's mom brings a new boyfriend and his daughter, Chloe, into her life, Tasha thinks, "Oh no, here we go again." Her mother has BAD taste in men.

Tasha regularly blogs about her life. She tries to welcome Chloe, at school and in her life. However, she is not sure what to think about Chloe. They have a good time together and then Chloe publishes an article ripping on bloggers. Tasha feels betrayed and doesn't know what to do about Chloe or her annoying dad.

When Tasha discovers Chloe's se
Aaron
I think my two main reasons I read this book were that I was curious to read a book with teenage girl characters written by an actual teenage girl, and it was book I could fit into my pocket on a long subway ride to a party. It was a little disappointing that the characters were so thinly drawn that it didn't really make me feel that adult male authors are missing much in their portrayals. I'm optimistic that Ariel Schrag's work might better accomplish this feat.

The book did easily fit into my
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
Really liked the story and the art was unique. Full review to come.
jess
I feel like the Minx books are such an endangered species, I tend to rank them on their own scale instead of compared to "all graphic novels i've ever read." If I were to rank all the Minx books I've read so far, this would be near the bottom. The characters were flat, and kind of annoying. The storyline was improbable, frustrating, and transparent. The "moral" of the story was heavy-handed. The teen girl/blog culture relationship, which spins at the center of this universe of crap, has potentia ...more
Penny Raspenny
I can't believe her mother didn't brake up with that guy.

Nicole West
SOOO entertaining! lol
Jennifer Whiteford
This is another one of the DC Comics Minx imprint books and I pretty much like all of them. They are targeted at pre-teen/teen girls and seem to respect girls' intelligence instead of dumbing things down for them. I found the pace and the drawings of this one a bit manic at first, but I got really sucked into the story and ended up finishing it in one sitting. I'll add it to my Minx collection. DC, I don't know why you stopped publishing these books. They are so great and I want to write one! :)
Jamie
Over-written and overly exaggerated, the frenetic look of the book makes every page feel crammed, like someone is shouting at your for hours on end. There's a good story here, but I could've stood having the volume turned down. Because in the rarest of moments when the book gets real, it's actually quite excellent. It's just the heavier stuff jars with the otherwise hyperactive tone, and the final product is a mishmash of a story rather than a true confession.
Cathy
Cute bit of fluffy fluff. It was amusing but I was disappointed that the characters were such obvious caricatures of personality types. Insane step-father who wants to be the uber-friendly hands on dad. Angst-ridden teen girl who's mad at the world. Misunderstood teen who keeps to herself, doesn't make friends and whom no one likes and teases horribly. Mom who doesn't understand anything. Typical. The artwork was cute and bubbly.
Julie
May 08, 2009 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic novel fans, teens
Recommended to Julie by: Danielle
Danielle bought me this for Christmas; she also bought me Re-Gifters the year before, which is by the same author.

I really enjoyed this graphic novel, although the artwork took some getting used to. The characters are fairly endearing and the story moves at a steady pace. I'd recommend it! Thanks, Danielle!
Jennifer de Guzman
A bit frantic in tone and pacing, but I connected with the mercurial and dramatic Tasha. Aaron A.'s art is fun and the character designs are great, each character very distinctive, though I found myself distracted by the girls' meaty hands a few times. They seriously could kick ass in arm wrestling.

I don't think the implication of sexual abuse is a good farcical device for a comedy, however. Just for the record.
Brianna
Given that this book was written by a father-daughter team, the twisted and dysfunctional father-daughter relationship in the story is quite upsetting. And although that relationship changed somewhat in the end, I don't feel that it was satisfactorily resolved.

Also, I found most of the characters to be shrill and annoying. Fairly dated references to technology, too - this book doesn't age well.
Brandy
I'm liking the Minx line. I was horrified to see this book going in a badly-cliched, my-daddy-hurts-me direction and relieved when it took a sharp left into something far more innocent. (Tasha, the narrator, was also horrified by her conclusions and also seemed relieved to learn the truth.) Nothing that will change the world of literature, graphic or otherwise, but still enjoyable and pleasant to read.
Keli
The teen girl snottiness abounds in this book. It's funny and snarky and likely to appeal to girls who aren't graphic novel readers. However, the book doesn't go beyond the fluff. The deep dark secret turns out to be not that insidious. Of course, a darker secret would not have been in the mood of the rest of the book. Overall, it was a fun read but I don't think I'm going back for more.
  • Kimmie66
  • Clubbing
  • Burnout
  • Water Baby
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • The New York Four
  • Good as Lily
  • Token
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • Emiko Superstar
  • The Girl Who Owned a City
  • Strangers In Paradise, Pocket Book 6
  • Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories
  • The Courageous Princess
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway Ender's Shadow: Command School